Transport to and from Airport/to and from medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is best?

• Uber

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Lyft

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Actual taxi

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Never used anything but taxis and the occasional public transit. But I don’t want to rely on transit systems (if a city even has them...). So, which is best?

Members don't see this ad.

Never used anything but taxis and the occasional public transit. But I don’t want to rely on transit systems (if a city even has them...). So, which is best?
Download both Uber and Lyft and use whichever is cheaper at the time/location. It varies.

Reactions: 12 users
Definitely Uber/Lyft >> Taxi. I have both downloaded and usually quickly compare the prices before requesting the ride.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It varies...?
Yes -- welcome to the 21st century, internet -based economy! :)

Strictly speaking, it's not the time of day that determines the price, but it's demand vs. supply of drivers. Off hours could be cheaper or more expensive, depending on how many drivers are available compared to demand. Peak hours will almost always be more expensive because demand will almost always outstrip supply. Price is set by an algorithm to balance supply and demand, with a base fare set by distance and surcharges, if any (airport, central business district, etc.).

Reactions: 5 users
That sounds silly and inconvenient. But still cheaper than a taxi?
It's neither -- it's meant to stimulate demand during off-peak and allow drivers to make what the market will bear during peak demand.

In NYC, I have found Lyft to be cheaper. But last time I was in Chicago I want to say Uber was cheaper. It just depends on the time of day, where you are, and where the nearest driver is. So unfortunately, yes, it varies a lot. But definitely cheaper than a taxi!

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, an Uber from the airport to the medical school near me is about $15.

Are you staying at a hotel? A lot of them have shuttles. Also, some car rentals can be very cheap, like 50$ a day or even less. If you’re a long way from the school, may be cheaper to just rent a car for a day.

If you're over 25, rent a car. It might be a lot cheaper than uber and lyft.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uber and Lyft are usually cheaper.
You also have to consider parking. Many hotels and other places don’t have free parking.

Ive gotten to/from the PHL airport to my school for like $10 a ride using Uber or Lyft.

Why not public transportation? Way cheaper and even faster in certain cities.

Also look into Airbnb instead of hotels, if you’re trying to save money.

I just took a taxi to/from the airport (more $ but lyft/ubers in places I'm not familiar can be sketchy... may be an unpopular opinion idc). It was like $40 total. As for getting to med school, make sure the hotel you pick (if you stay at a hotel) is close to the med school and they may have free transportation within a small radius. All the hotels I stayed at dropped me off and picked me up for no charge (other than a tip to the driver if you're inclined to do so).

Since everyone else is talking about saving money, just cancel the interview and get a refund for the plane ticket. You're welcome for saving you ~$500.

Otherwise, everyone, except for me, has given decent suggestions.

It's been nearly 15 years, so it may have changed, but many rental companies will rent to military under the age of 25.

It's been nearly 15 years, so it may have changed, but many rental companies will rent to military under the age of 25.
Most places now will rent to anyone over 21 but it is only certain cars and the price is jacked. Unfortunately, the military stuff is only while on orders. Makes sense, but still sucks.

Most places now will rent to anyone over 21 but it is only certain cars and the price is jacked. Unfortunately, the military stuff is only while on orders. Makes sense, but still sucks.

They used to say only while on orders, but I definitely rented cars when not on orders, granted things may have changed. Not that you really need a car for most places, only the rural ones.

In NYC, I think Via is the cheapest app nowadays, so neither.

Also, sometimes one ride-sharing app has negotiated for better convenience than the others. For example, at the airport near where I go to school, Lyft is the only app allowed to pick up directly outside of arrivals. Other apps have to pick up far away at some weird garage that nobody knows the location of.

• Wow
I mainly used Uber, although I did rent a car when the school was particular far from the airport.

In NYC, I think Via is the cheapest app nowadays, so neither.

Also, sometimes one ride-sharing app has negotiated for better convenience than the others. For example, at the airport near where I go to school, Lyft is the only app allowed to pick up directly outside of arrivals. Other apps have to pick up far away at some weird garage that nobody knows the location of.
Ugh the 21st century would be a whole lot better if the only thing that changed was new technology...not how we used old technology...

Also, I think it may be Uber but they offer a carpool option for cheaper. Basically you have to share a ride with someone going to near the same place you are, but you get a discounted rate. If you are OK with having someone else in on your ride ofc (doesn't bother me, but to each his own). Isn't always available though.

Google maps and click on the bus icon. It will tell you how to get from start to finish by public transportation and the time estimate for the distance at the time of departure/arrival. I find it invaluable in big cities. The cost of public transportation is a tenth of the cost of Lyft or Uber.

Google maps and click on the bus icon. It will tell you how to get from start to finish by public transportation and the time estimate for the distance at the time of departure/arrival. I find it invaluable in big cities. The cost of public transportation is a tenth of the cost of Lyft or Uber.
Do you know anything about the safety and ease-of-use for Chicago? Specifically OHarr to UChicago?

Do you know anything about the safety and ease-of-use for Chicago? Specifically OHarr to UChicago?
Google shows several options that require 2 buses and a train. It takes about the same time as a car if traffic is heavy.
I have taken the train in and out of O'Hare and it is safe and easy at that end. Not sure about UChicago. You might ask on the school specific
thread.
There is also this info geared, I think, to undergrads. Taxi to campus is $50-60. :eek:

Some Ubers I’ve been on weren’t clean and had dog hair in them so I’d do a quick inspection before getting in

• Haha
If Southwest Airlines flies from your area, Midway Airport more convenient to U Chicago, might be cheaper. O’Hare to UofC 1:45 hrs, Midway 45 min public transport. Chicago is huge.

If Southwest Airlines flies from your area, Midway Airport more convenient to U Chicago, might be cheaper. O’Hare to UofC 1:45 hrs, Midway 45 min public transport. Chicago is huge.
Southwest couldn’t get me there same day for under $700. Flying out of Spokane sucks

I took public transit or walked in many places I interviewed including Cleveland and St. Louis. If you do your research and aren't an idiot, it's fine. Spent a grand total of $10 between those two cities. Saved me a lot of money. Don't go on public transit late at night if you're worried, but even as a woman traveling alone, I encountered very few, easily solved, problems.

O’Hare to UChicago is very far(25 + miles) I would never attempt public transportation . There would be several transfers etc. Did you buy your ticket yet? If not fly to Midway. Midway to UChicago is maybe 8 miles. Public transport(bus) would be much easier. Uber is cheaper in Chicago at least in my experience. Taxis in Chicago are very expensive.

O’Hare to UChicago is very far(25 + miles) I would never attempt public transportation . There would be several transfers etc. Did you buy your ticket yet? If not fly to Midway. Midway to UChicago is maybe 8 miles. Public transport(bus) would be much easier. Uber is cheaper in Chicago at least in my experience. Taxis in Chicago are very expensive.
Yah, didn’t think about that. About to board the MInneapolis to Chicago now. Guess Uber it is! Flying out of Midway, though. Does public transit run at 4/5AM...?

• Wow

We used Uber to/from O’Hare on our visit to Chicago. Would definitely recommend it.

Hey you, yes YOU!

If you have luggage stored in the overhead bin, just wait 5 minutes so those of us that came more prepared and less packed can get off the plane faster? K? M’kay.

• Haha
Yah, didn’t think about that. About to board the MInneapolis to Chicago now. Guess Uber it is! Flying out of Midway, though. Does public transit run at 4/5AM...?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Where are you staying in Chicago? If in the Loop, hop on the Orange Line and it will take you directly to MDW. Runs 24/7. If in Hyde Park at 4/5am use Uber. Some hotels in Hyde Park will have shuttles to MDW. So check that out. Someone mentioned Uber Pool. That might be a good alternative to public transportation. Good luck at your interview.

Southwest couldn’t get me there same day for under $700. Flying out of Spokane sucks

Flights.google.com is your friend

I found round trip flights from MSP to Denver bundled with rental car for $200

Flights.google.com is your friend
That is how I ended up with round trip flights for $557. I didn’t think to schedule interviews by flight price beforehand (whoops), but the cheapest on any of the interview days I had available was still $484. Flights from non-major airports are expensive.

That is how I ended up with round trip flights for $557. I didn’t think to schedule interviews by flight price beforehand (whoops), but the cheapest on any of the interview days I had available was still $484. Flights from non-major airports are expensive.

Ouch...

• Sad
I only applied to 4 schools within a 500 mile radius and got IIs at 3. You shouldn’t have a problem getting interviews there unless you didn’t want to apply.
2 are my state schools, the other doesn’t accept OOS, I do already have an interview at one, I applied broadly.

Hey you, yes YOU!

If you have luggage stored in the overhead bin, just wait 5 minutes so those of us that came more prepared and less packed can get off the plane faster? K? M’kay.

When I rule the world, the overhead bins will open only after those who have nothing stored in the overhead bins have exited the plane.

Reactions: 3 users
Decided to do public transit to see the city a bit, good set up. Got lost on foot and missed my connection (apparently the electric cars/meters are not the same as the public transit in Chicago...), phone died when I tried calling my first Uber, got charged a $5 cancellation fee..., took a regular taxi. Downtown Chicago is nice, but it would be nice if the fast food restaurants had outlets in them...Now for food.

Thanks all for your help! Will try Uber again in another city...