Trapped in slave labor- an intern’s story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maddybaddy01

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just want to first of all express my level of disgust for this profession. I am sorry to anyone who is still in school and has visions of this being a happy career. It is for some people but you really have to be a specific type of person to get that satisfaction. I have been in practice for 2 years. My dream has been to become a zoo/aquarium vet or get involved with field research. I tried very hard to land an internship in exotics to give myself an “in” towards a competitive residency. Fate has played a cruel trick, however. After 2 years of absolutely loathing general practice and pretty much deciding I was ready to throw in the towel and search for a completely new and unrelated career, I got a random email from the director of a program I had applied to the year before:

“Hi XYZ,
I have a spot in our current intern program and I thought you were a prime candidate. I wanted to offer it to you.

thanks,

Dr.ABC”

I looked at this email and didn’t know what to think. I didn’t answer for a few days. I had a hard think. I had just left toxic job number 4 and my level of trust in veterinary practices had grown thin. But I thought this would be a chance for me to finally embark on the journey I had dreamed of since the fifth grade. So after a week or so, I asked to speak with him. We talked about the program. I would be doing a research project. I would do rounds, journal club, necropsies- this program was going to prepare me for a residency, as per Dr. ABC. Their current intern had stayed on for 2 years. I thought if she stayed that long, it is probably a good program. So, I accepted.

i was finally excited about something in my profession for the first time since prevet. I had the motivation to study again and work through CE. It was great and I could only imagine the possibilities. My last 2 days at my apartment, I packed my car full to the brim, threw away what I couldn’t fit in the car, then drove across the country with my guinea pigs and dog, with a sense of hope. All this during the middle of a pandemic and riots happening in the streets.

I arrived to the city. i came in to visit the practice a few times before the program started. They seemed like nice people. Lots of exotics, although they had cats and dogs coming in. I thought it would be a good learning experience. Then I started. I had 3 days of shadowing. Then I was thrown into a full schedule of cat/dog appointments and no time to even shadow on exotics. They were routine appointments- ear infections, UTIs, puppy vaccines... it didn’t stop either. This was the scoop day after day. We had a vet student extern come and shadow with us. She was allowed to see the exotics appointments, handle the animals, learn about cases. I just got shuffled into my next appointment and had no time. I tried to speak with management about this- asked if I could have learning opportunities. She replied, “Unfortunately not. We are very busy and need you to be a doctor.” The unfortunate thing is- I am not paid as a doctor. I am not even paid a technician salary at this practice and McDonald’s literally pays about the same or better. I will get an occasional hamster or rabbit thrown into my schedule, but this is NOT an internship. It is slave labor. I bring in $3000-5000 per day to this practice and don’t even get $600 a week. I actually saw more exotics and learned more working at Banfield (but I will NEVER go back there). I just feel utterly betrayed. Once again I moved across the country for an opportunity that just wanted to exploit me. I finally had some hope. I stuck my neck out and tried to trust, and I got my head chopped off. I am once again searching for a new career outside of vet med. it is not my calling.
 
Just wanted to say I’m sorry this has happened, and I feel your pain, especially on the pulling in good profits but getting paid like crap front. Hope it gets better.