Trauma Surgery Rotation (for MS-4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing a Trauma Surgery rotation, and am having difficulty finding an adequate amount of locations to apply to.

I would preferably like to go somewhere driveable from where I live (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas.) Other benefits that would be extremely helpful include provided housing & meals (or a good deal.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My first choice was Parkland-Dallas, but I hear that it is extremely competitive to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

I may not be qualified to answer this question (getting ready to begin MS-1 year), but I know that my school (Univ of TN-Memphis) has a great trauma dept. It was one of the reasons the school was my top choice in the first place. The regional hospital (known as The Med) sees a high volume of trauma cases and I've talked to quite a few graduating M4's who have said that many of them knew alot more when it came to trauma surgery than the incoming residents. Again, that's just what I hear, and I'm not sure how the program is set up (i.e. application process), but you may want to look into it if at all possible

I highly recommend Parkland--I went to med school at UT Southwestern but rotated through several Texas schools as a fourth year. Excellent trauma experience there. Ben Taub was a close second. Would rank the Texas hospitals based on trauma experience: UT Southwestern (trauma + burns), Baylor, Hermann, Baylor Dallas, UTMB (trauma + burns but low volume), UTHSCSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about an away rotation being competitive. Someone has to get it...why not you?

One thing that will put you a step ahead for away rotations is early interest and early application. The sooner you square away your paperwork (i.e. if the institution requires additional insurance, etc.) the closer to the top of the stack you'll find yourself. And call the program. Don't just submit an anonymous piece of paper and expect that to do all the walking and talking for you. This isn't necessarily like ERAS which has a defined process and application. Away rotations are for your benefit, whether you want to see "how they get it done", or because you might want to do residency there. In my opinion, it doesn't necessarily have to be both.

I know its outside your range, but I have to put a plug in for Shock Trauma. :D This place is a machine.

All of the places listed are great places to experience trauma. Give Parkland a try - who knows you might get accepted.

If not, Memphis has a great program with an internationally known director. So consider it. If you'll travel further then consider LA-County Gen (USC), Baltimore Shock Trauma and Miami. All great places with tons of penetrating trauma and well known attendings.

As a graduate of UT Memphis, now a gen surg resident in the northeast, I laugh when my fellow residents complain of being busy on the trauma service. It ain't nothin' compared to Memphis.

The trauma surgery rotation at UT is fantastic for students, and very hands on as well. It would be worth a look.

Action said:
I highly recommend Parkland--I went to med school at UT Southwestern but rotated through several Texas schools as a fourth year. Excellent trauma experience there. Ben Taub was a close second. Would rank the Texas hospitals based on trauma experience: UT Southwestern (trauma + burns), Baylor, Hermann, Baylor Dallas, UTMB (trauma + burns but low volume), UTHSCSA.

isn't the editor of trauma at uthscsa? i actually heard they get quite a bit of trauma...i could be wrong

I second R.A. Cowley Shock Trauma in Baltimore. I did 2 weeks there during my surgery rotation (all U of MD students do) and it is incredible. It has all the names of trauma surgery and anesthesiology and draws residents from the entire east coast. Additionally, the millitary sends it medical personnel there to train for duties in combat areas. Volume is extremely high. You'll also get face time with some of the predominant names in trauma.

I second LA County (USC), having rotated there as a fourth year. We also have a great trauma experience here at Grady Memorial Hospital (am currently finishing up my second month of trauma). Lots of penetrating trauma, lots of bedside procedures, and lately we've been doing ER thoracotomies every week!

I guess the main issue is----who provides free (or cheap) housing?

Dpmt worry about driveability, go where the action is. I would suggest LAC+USC, its a great experience and i am very thankful for what i learned during med school there, now being a resident in a much smaller volume level I trauma center (Texas).
Parkland seems like it would be similar but i have no personal experience, besides it would be in LA.

Plastikos said:
Dpmt worry about driveability, go where the action is. I would suggest LAC+USC, its a great experience and i am very thankful for what i learned during med school there, now being a resident in a much smaller volume level I trauma center (Texas).
Parkland seems like it would be similar but i have no personal experience, besides it would be in LA.

The airfare, housing, and transportation seems daunting. Any suggestions?

When I did a preceptorship in Houston, I contacted the Student Affairs office to see if there were any med students who wouldn't mind a roommate for a few weeks. In return, I paid them back by helping them out on their rent and chipping in a bit for bills. It saved me quite a bit of money in the long run, plus they tend to live close enough to eliminate a massive commute.

Tater said:
When I did a preceptorship in Houston, I contacted the Student Affairs office to see if there were any med students who wouldn't mind a roommate for a few weeks. In return, I paid them back by helping them out on their rent and chipping in a bit for bills. It saved me quite a bit of money in the long run, plus they tend to live close enough to eliminate a massive commute.

That sounds like a good idea, and I might try it at some of the locations I am looking for. I'm definitely not going to be applying to Houston for a rotation, since they want you to pay for hundreds of dollars in fees just to apply, as well as meals AND parking every day.

OSUdoc08 said:
The airfare, housing, and transportation seems daunting. Any suggestions?

Dont panic. I dont know, after i hit a threshold of about 150K it became like water to me; "would you like another glass?" why not...just water.
Youll pay it off, it only seems like a lot now, just make sure to take an extra week so you can get a day of sleep and 5 days of solid partying before the terrible hungover flight home.

Plastikos said:
Dont panic. I dont know, after i hit a threshold of about 150K it became like water to me; "would you like another glass?" why not...just water.
Youll pay it off, it only seems like a lot now, just make sure to take an extra week so you can get a day of sleep and 5 days of solid partying before the terrible hungover flight home.

I'm not worried about paying it off. I'm worried about the fact that I'm already just getting by with my loans maxed out. I don't want to run out of money doing rotations with nothing left for interviews.

CALL PAUL KEARNEY MD FACS at University of Kentucky chandler medical center.. follow him around fora month.. that will make for some entertainment.

Action said:

I applied to Parkland for the Trauma Surgery rotation. I just recieved a phone call stated that they do not accept osteopathic medical students.

I was planning on applying to UTMB and UTHSC-SA. It is my understanding that Baylor Dallas is general surgery with trauma call only. I'm also considering LSU-Shreveport if anyone knows about any of those. Thanks.