Travel Reimbursements for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowBubble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know which schools, if any, provide travel reimbursements for applicants offered interviews for clinical PhD programs?

I think I read somewhere that USC does... does anyone know of any other schools that do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

University of North Dakota Clinical Psych PhD does

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh okay thanks. I was just curious but I guess it's pretty uncommon! :)

Ohh okay thanks. I was just curious but I guess it's pretty uncommon! :)

Also I know some programs try to keep it a secret if they only offer a few travel awards per interview pool, so it's even harder to figure out which schools might give you one. One school that offered me a travel award this year specifically requested I not discuss it with anyone since they gave so few out.

Also I know some programs try to keep it a secret if they only offer a few travel awards per interview pool, so it's even harder to figure out which schools might give you one. One school that offered me a travel award this year specifically requested I not discuss it with anyone since they gave so few out.

Whoa, sneaky! I didn't know schools did that... I suppose it makes sense though. I guess it at least may help your nerves, knowing that that school is especially interested in you! Congrats! :)

/bump.

What's the best way to ask if programs will reimburse for travel?

University of Oregon reimburses 100 dollars toward your travel costs. :)

Last edited:
/bump.

What's the best way to ask if programs will reimburse for travel?

This is just me, but personally, I wouldn't ask. Given how rare reimbursement is, I'd imagine that if it's offered, they'll mention it without being prompted.

If I were to ask, I'd likely just be straightforward and polite (i.e., "Does your program offers any sort of travel reimbursement for interviewees?"), and would append the question to the end of my reply to the interview offer. I'd also say it's definitely something you'd be better off asking the secretary rather than the training director or your POI, at least initially.

Last edited:
This is just me, but personally, I wouldn't ask. Given how rare reimbursement is, I'd imagine that if it's offered, they'll mention it without being prompted.

If I were to ask, I'd likely just be straightforward and polite (i.e., "Does your program offers any sort of travel reimbursement for interviewees?"), and would append the question to the end of my reply to the interview offer. I'd also say it's definitely something you'd be better off asking the secretary rather than the training director or your POI, at least initially.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward asking my POI directly since I already feel fairly comfortable with him. The potential problem is that I've heard from 2 schools (out of 12) and they both offered me an interview. I was really only expecting 2 interviews total and those would be from the "safety schools" I applied to. I'm not quite prepared financially to attend many more interviews if I am lucky enough to get more invites.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning toward asking my POI directly since I already feel fairly comfortable with him. The potential problem is that I've heard from 2 schools (out of 12) and they both offered me an interview. I was really only expecting 2 interviews total and those would be from the "safety schools" I applied to. I'm not quite prepared financially to attend many more interviews if I am lucky enough to get more invites.

If you're already fairly comfortable with your POI at the program, then yeah, I don't see much harm in politely asking if they offer travel reimbursement.

And yes, programs understand that traveling for interviews can be expensive, so asking secretaries about reimbursement after receiving an invite doesn't seem "out of bounds" or off-base to me in your case.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with this. I believe that if they are able to offer a reimbursement, they will let you know.

I do however agree with you Spafticus that this interview season is going to be more expensive than I expected! I have four interviews so far, and only one of them offers a partial reimbursement for my travel expenses. I didn't expect schools to reimburse me, but like you, I didn't think I would receive as many interview invites as I have. For example, I have to fly cross-country, to the same state, two weekends in a row. Oh how I wish those two interviews would have been closer together so I could just have attended both interviews before flying back... but I guess there is that thing called "work" that stops me from doing that...

I went on about 10 interviews and was reimbursed my flight for one and was put up in a hotel for another. Otherwise, I was on my own. Both were very forthcoming with the info about reimbursement.

Do you mind sharing what program you got reimbursed by? It would be nice to know if any of the schools I've applied to that haven't started to extend interviews yet have reimbursed people in the past... :)

I figure it is worth asking the graduate secretary if it isn't explicitly said anywhere. The worse thing that can happen is that they can say "no." I can't imagine how this could be taken negatively since they know that this is an expensive process for us. I figure as long as you preface it by stating that you know reimbursement isn't common, an inquiry is nothing more than that.

I agree with this. I believe that if they are able to offer a reimbursement, they will let you know.

I do however agree with you Spafticus that this interview season is going to be more expensive than I expected! I have four interviews so far, and only one of them offers a partial reimbursement for my travel expenses. I didn't expect schools to reimburse me, but like you, I didn't think I would receive as many interview invites as I have. For example, I have to fly cross-country, to the same state, two weekends in a row. Oh how I wish those two interviews would have been closer together so I could just have attended both interviews before flying back... but I guess there is that thing called "work" that stops me from doing that...

Are all four interviews in clinical?

Are all four interviews in clinical?

Yes :)

Apparently Arizona State University may be able to reimburse parts of your travel expenses too. I am just trying to expand the list of places that help out with travel expenses, as it might be useful for future applicants.

This may only be indirectly related to travel reimbursements, but do you think it is apporpriate to ask if there is the option of staying with grad students if this was not initially offered? This would not only be a chance to talk to the grad student but would eliminate hotel costs.

This may only be indirectly related to travel reimbursements, but do you think it is apporpriate to ask if there is the option of staying with grad students if this was not initially offered? This would not only be a chance to talk to the grad student but would eliminate hotel costs.

I think it's perfectly appropriate. I would just casually inquire how they interview invitees usually handle accommodations during the interview and whether it's common to stay with current grad students? I mean, staying with grad students seems to be the most common thing so I doubt they'll think you're crazy asking about it.

I think it's perfectly appropriate. I would just casually inquire how they interview invitees usually handle accommodations during the interview and whether it's common to stay with current grad students? I mean, staying with grad students seems to be the most common thing so I doubt they'll think you're crazy asking about it.

+1. I don't think it's inappropriate at all. It's commonly done, and I found that oftentimes you weren't provided that information (option) until after you were extended your initial interview invite. (Some people who are "in charge" of those things are slow on the uptake or may be still trying to figure out things on their end. :smuggrin:) Feel free to ask.

This is pretty great that some of these institutions provide this. I had not heard of it myself when I applied to graduate school.

The same thing comes up with internship. I know some folks who had very brief interviews that the flew across country for. I wish internship sites either provided reimbursement for coming or offered to do it over Skype. For 1-year of internship, I think it is okay to not meet in person (compared to several years of graduate school...that should happen in person!)

Interview sounds so expensive - airfare to and fro, maybe car rental and accommodation. And often times you are not reimbursed. How many interviews do people go on average? Let's say you apply to 10-15 schools - and in Jan/Feb, you fly (or drive) here and there for several interviews. Wouldn't that be extremely costly? Not to mention disruptive to your regular schedule...

I am not at that stage yet, so I am totally ignorant about this. Wonder what it's like though.

I spent a few k applying/interviewing. (It took me two rounds.) It was worth it though -- my stipend makes up for it since I had options and the economy was slightly better.

Get a frequent flyer credit card before the whole process begins and you'll be golden.

Northern Illinois reimburses $150 for flights, which I appreciated.

This is pretty great that some of these institutions provide this. I had not heard of it myself when I applied to graduate school.

The same thing comes up with internship. I know some folks who had very brief interviews that the flew across country for. I wish internship sites either provided reimbursement for coming or offered to do it over Skype. For 1-year of internship, I think it is okay to not meet in person (compared to several years of graduate school...that should happen in person!)

I'd be ok with that as well. In-person interviews definitely make sense for grad school, as well as for post doc, where the fellowship can often lead to a career. But unless the internship might lead to a longer-term position with the site, it'd likely be easier on everyone involved if more sites started offering phone/skype interviews.

As for cost, I only interviewed at two places for grad school (and drove to both), so it was maybe couple hundred dollars. For internship, I drove to about half of my interviews, and even then, between gas, flights, hotels, and rental cars, it probably cost about $2.5k.

Northern Illinois reimburses $150 for flights, which I appreciated.

Bastards. I didn't receive jack from them. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Way back when, these programs provided some level of reimbursement (not sure about now) . . .
UMichigan (clinical)
UMissouri-Columbia (clinical)
Texas Tech (counseling)

UPenn paid for up to $500 of my flight (which covered all of it!), and UCLA gives partial reimbursement.

Both were clinical psych programs.

The other schools did not offer reimbursement/payment, but they pretty much stated it up front so there was no question.

anyone know if usuhs offers travel reimbursements?

I am actually pleasantly surprised of the travel reimbursements I have received so far. Out of the five invitations I have so far, three of the universities offer some type of reimbursement. One of them covers all expenses (flight, hotel, shuttles, etc.), and two others cover a big chunk of my plane ticket.

Before applying, I didn't think any schools were going to offer anything, so I'm extremely happy! :)

I just got an email from University of Illinois Chicago about interview day, and they will reimburse for travel. Very irritating for me, however, because this is the one interview I do NOT have to travel to. Argh!

I'm sure some of you picked up on the recent interview invite from a certain school that sent out email invites 4 days before the actual interview day!! And they don't reimburse!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and ecstatic for the interview, but I had a $150 flight change fee to pay (on top of the $300 flight) in order to fly from another interview across the country to this interview... the things we do for the right program :p

For school psychology, Oklahoma State provides transportation to and from the airport and some of the students there have offered to let prospective students stay with them. Only school I live near and only one that offers transportation and housing..... :rolleyes:

Ohio State said they would reimburse some of my travel expenses but was not more specific.
U of Arizona told me they would reimburse about half of my travel expenses, roughly $120.
Iowa offered to cover $200 for airfare.
Kansas offered to cover $250 for airfare.

Last edited:
Ohio State said they would reimburse some of my travel expenses but was not more specific.
U of Arizona told me they would reimburse about half of my travel expenses, roughly $120.
Iowa offered to cover $200 for airfare.
Kansas offered to cover $250 for airfare.

I was wondering are these all for Clinical PhD programs? And have you received interviews to all of them?

They are all clinical and I was offered interviews at all of these, in addition to Miami, Kentucky, and Florida. This week I was offered admission to Ohio State so I accepted and cancelled all my other interviews.

I was not offered travel reimbursement for three of the schools that I will be interviewing at. I was accepted into Texas A&M's School psych program. The program does interviews through skype and then invites accepted students for an orientation before commitments are required. I saw it mentioned that they may reimburse for out-of-state travelers, so I inquired and was awarded a $1000 travel scholarship.