Traveling for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anatomicalagb

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Michigan resident and most of my secondaries were from school outside of Michigan, specifically California, Florida and North Carolina. I am wondering, of those of you who have received interviews, how long from when you were notified of an interview to when it was scheduled?

I would love to go to school out of state, but I am on a budget and think driving to California or Florida would be a good option. Hoping I get more than a month's notice so I don't get reamed on flight prices.
 
I am a Michigan resident and most of my secondaries were from school outside of Michigan, specifically California, Florida and North Carolina. I am wondering, of those of you who have received interviews, how long from when you were notified of an interview to when it was scheduled?

I would love to go to school out of state, but I am on a budget and think driving to California or Florida would be a good option. Hoping I get more than a month's notice so I don't get reamed on flight prices.

Schools can give everywhere from a few months advance notice to a week.

Don't drive:

1) Waste of energy
2) Florida and California are BIG states. You could potentially have up to a 6 hour drive after you cross the boarder
3) The drive would near 20 - 30+ hours and would have to be split up - so you're adding a night at a hotel in addition to gas
4) Most interviews are conducted on weekdays so flights are typically cheaper, even on tight notice
 
I am a Michigan resident and most of my secondaries were from school outside of Michigan, specifically California, Florida and North Carolina. I am wondering, of those of you who have received interviews, how long from when you were notified of an interview to when it was scheduled?

I would love to go to school out of state, but I am on a budget and think driving to California or Florida would be a good option. Hoping I get more than a month's notice so I don't get reamed on flight prices.

It will actually probably be cheaper for you to fly.. I know it sucks I'm dealing with unexpected travel costs too but in the end you're gonna achieve a huge goal of yours by attending these IIs so it's all good!