Traveling for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaylorG520

TCSVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a New Jersey resident which leaves me having to travel pretty far for any interview that I receive. On top of that, I am only 20 years old, so I cannot rent a car and some hotels give me a problem when I try and book a room.

I was able to work things out for my interview at Ohio State (it's in a week from today!!!:eek:). However, I just received an invitation to interview at Iowa State University :D:D:D and the travel arrangements are a bit more difficult. Since it is in such a rural area, the hotels in Ames, IA do not have airport shuttles from Des Moines. Since I can't rent a car I'm worried about getting to/from the airport which is 35-40 miles from campus.

What do most of you guys without the ability to rent a car do? Do you bring a parent with you (not sure this is possible because flying is expensive)? Is it possible to ask the school to get me in touch with current students who would be willing to help me with transportation? I wasn't sure if that is an appropriate request or if I should plan on trying to find a taxi service or what not.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You can rent a car at twenty it justs costs a bit more. Try enterprise.

I traveled to Ames for an interview in early-December. I'm 24 so I rented a car (for an extra age fee, of course), and the drive to Ames was so much easier than I thought. But if you are absolutely unable to rent a car from any company at the Des Moines Airport, I met someone at the interview that took a cab to and from the airport (I think they said it was ~$80-100 one-way, but don't quote me on that!). But this person had no problem at all doing that.

There is also a place to stay right on campus called the Memorial Union and they might be sympathetic towards your age situation and let you check in with a credit card/parent's credit card if you confirm that with them in advance. I stayed at the Gateway Conference Center Hotel and I'm sure they've had to deal with 20-year-old guests before, being in a college town and all - it was so nice and I found a super cheap rate online (and it was only 2 minutes to the vet school, literally). I know there are cab companies in Ames that you can call to pick you up in the morning to drive to your interview, and then you can always ask another interviewee at the school to give you a quick lift back to your hotel after the day is over (I did that for someone and it was no big deal at all - everyone was so friendly).

If all else fails, you can always private message other people on these boards who are interviewing the same day as you and see if you can hitch a ride with them and pay for half the ride from the airport to Ames and back. Throughout this interview process I have realized how kind and sympathetic everyone is towards one another - we are all in the same boat and there is bound to be one of us out there willing to lend you a hand!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a USAA member, I believe you can get the age requirement/extra fees for a rental car waived.

I'm in awe that you have gotten an interview at the age of 20! Nice work and good luck.

Thanks for the advice... and the compliments! I think I have it all sorted out now. Hope to meet some of you at the upcoming interviews. :)

I have a somewhat related question. My family and I have been wondering what we are going to do about traveling to interviews because of finances. Anyone in the same situation? Any insight?

No suggestions for the actual travel, but some current vet students in the past have been willing to put up interviewees for a night.