traveling to another city for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loopy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone traveled to another city/state for the MCAT? i need inputs plz

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I travelled to another city (about 2 hours away) for my MCAT. I just drove down the night before and rented a hotel room. I did make sure to find the test center the night before the exam so I wasn't stressed trying to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went to a different city as well..actually, my sister drove me, which was nice, bc she kept me de-stressed. she had one of those gps thingies which took us right there and was awesome. i left about an hour earlier than google maps told me to....
...and i got there with an hour to spare
but better safe than sorry, i guess

I know some people on this forum (names escape me, sorry!) went to locations pretty far away and got hotel rooms the night before. As I recall, many of them said they enjoyed having the whole hotel room to them the night before to relax without any sort of distractions. Sort of a time to chill and be alone with your thoughts before the big day.

I've heard of people flying over to where their test site was located. I had to drive to another city which was technically 30-40 mins away, but because of LA traffic it took 2 hours (3 hours to get back home).

I live in Maryland. I wanted to take the May 27th MCAT and registered for it, well, in the begining of May. I took it in New York City. Luckily for me, my grandparents live in Manhattan so that wasn't so bad. I must add though, that Prometrics center was huge compared to the one in Maryland. They had three testing rooms just in one office, and they had more than one office. I took it on the 15th floor of some skyrise building.

I took it in a city roughly 1.5 hours away from my house. I decided to drive down the night before and rent a hotel room. I really liked doing it that way. It definitely helped me relax and I felt ready to go the morning of.

you can see the thread I opened a few weeks ago. I was terrified because my MCAT was in Cincinnati and I live in Columbus (a little over 100 miles away). I didn't want to mess up my routine, especially for something so important.

I rented a room the night before and spent the night there. It couldn't have possibly been more perfect. The funny (and sad) thing is that I met this guy at the test center who had driven that morning to the MCAT from Columbus!! he was so depressed and pissed at himself for not staying the night before. He said that initially he thought that since it was only a 2 hour drive, it wouldn't really matter. But it turned out it was. He didn't do so well, and he thinks it's because of the morning rush hour/stress that got to him.

Best of luck!!:):luck:

im about the same as the others here, mine was 106 miles away, took 2 hrs to drive there (and I drive fast, look at my username)... i got a freaking nice hotel with a king sized bed and a ginormous tv and forgot all about the impending doom of the next day. it was beautiful...

Yup, but wouldn't advise it. Decided last August I wanted to take the September 7 MCAT but the only slot within 4 hours of me was, well, 4 hours away in Asheville, NC (from around Columbia, SC). I drove up the night before, got royally lost despite my husband's GPS in the Prius (those things are designed for people to pay attention to, not to try to override with mundane things like Yahoo directions) and couldn't sleep in the hotel bed. Awoke overtired and was a few minutes late for my test when I couldn't find the place again (actually scoped it out the night before but it looked different in the daylight) and was chastised by the Prometric employee that I should have been half an hour early. Pffftt.

Showed up on time yesterday--just on time--to my local Columbia, SC appointment and had to wait 25 minutes to be checked in. Didn't finish the exam til after 715pm. Still, it was nicer not to have to drive too far home after that.

I drove 3+ hours to my test because they closed the center I was supposed to be at. I stayed at a hotel the night before.

Yeah, I traveled about two hours to take mine, so I stayed overnight at a hotel. I travel a lot, so it wasn't stressful for me. Make sure you make reservations ahead of time and print out/write down any confirmation numbers if you go this route. It sure beat getting up at 4am to go take my test.