Treating Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypertension, Diabetes, Peptic Ulcer Disease.. Depression, Arthritis, CAD, etc... Disease? Maybe.

But I would rather think they are symptoms and results of the real Desease..

Obesity, inactivity, lifestyle, and personality.

We as healthcare practitioners are too busy treating symtoms.. we tend to neglect and forget to treat the real culprit.

Show me an obese, sedentary, and angry person. I'll show you a very sick person.

Members don't see this ad.

Very True. But unfortunatally, in this lazy world we live in, things will never change. People know that smoking, eating wrong, living under great stress, and not exercising is bad for them but they are so set in their ways, that they will never change, even after they get sick. We can preach to them all we want, and for most, our words will fall on deaf ears.

PharmD4Me said:
Very True. But unfortunatally, in this lazy world we live in, things will never change. People know that smoking, eating wrong, living under great stress, and not exercising is bad for them but they are so set in their ways, that they will never change, even after they get sick. We can preach to them all we want, and for most, our words will fall on deaf ears.

And as I sit in my office 8 hours a day drinking Coffee heavily laced with cream and sugar, I totally agree with you.

How about we look at it as a "job security."

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta love job security!!!

bananaface said:
Disease is a process. You are talking about the cause of the process. Not the same.

You can define Disease anyway you like. I rather think it's more of a "syndrome" or "abnormal condition" than a process. I am talking about the "Cause" which we can call it the "Etiology."

In the Zpack Book of definitions, I'm declaring that the "Etiology" I outlined will be considered "Disease."

Obesity, Sedentary lifestyle, Stress, high-strung personality all are disease.. in my book. :smuggrin:

ZpackSux said:
You can define Disease anyway you like. I rather think it's more of a "syndrome" or "abnormal condition" than a process. I am talking about the "Cause" which we can call it the "Etiology."

In the Zpack Book of definitions, I'm declaring that the "Etiology" I outlined will be considered "Disease."

Obesity, Sedentary lifestyle, Stress, high-strung personality all are disease.. in my book. :smuggrin:

So, lifestyle, stress and high strung personality are all "diseases" huh? ah i see..yes...perhaps you would be an advocate of using "prosium," get us some grammathon clerics to deal with sense offense!

ZpackSux said:
Hypertension, Diabetes, Peptic Ulcer Disease.. Depression, Arthritis, CAD, etc... Disease? Maybe.

But I would rather think they are symptoms and results of the real Desease..

Obesity, inactivity, lifestyle, and personality.

We as healthcare practitioners are too busy treating symtoms.. we tend to neglect and forget to treat the real culprit.

Show me an obese, sedentary, and angry person. I'll show you a very sick person.

Amen to those wise words. It seems to me, however, that the people I have encountered with the worst health problems are those who smoke and smoke heavily over a long period of time. Not that smoking causes the problems you listed, other than COPD and asthma, but it sure contributes to degenerative health problems in general, such as CAD/ASHD, premature aging, fatigue, and countless other problems that are systemic in nature.

smoking ciggs is :(

ProZackMI said:
Amen to those wise words. It seems to me, however, that the people I have encountered with the worst health problems are those who smoke and smoke heavily over a long period of time. Not that smoking causes the problems you listed, other than COPD and asthma, but it sure contributes to degenerative health problems in general, such as CAD/ASHD, premature aging, fatigue, and countless other problems that are systemic in nature.

I agree. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to ban smoking. Though it will have some economic and social whirwind.

Though, I would like to see "Exercise & Lifestyle" change prescribed by physicians where patients must comply with help of experts who can help patients exercise and change lifestyle. How could this be accomplished? I have a vague idea. But if anyone can pull this off, it will be a whole new arena of healthcare..and someone will profit handsomely.

Gene Strongly Linked to Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity

Scientists in France and the US report that a variant of a common protein plays a primary role in Type 2 diabetes and obesity, key features of the "insulin resistance syndrome" that affects more than 50 million people in the US and a similar number in Europe.

Incidence of the syndrome, which is also linked to coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, is soaring in the US and other developed countries. Some clinicians and researchers refer to the syndrome as the metabolic syndrome.

The new research result, based on a very large genetic study of French families, is reported in the August issue of Nature Genetics, released online July 17.

The study identifies a target protein for potential drugs to restore the body's ability to respond to insulin, says Ira Goldfine, MD, a co-author of the study whose UCSF research team first detected the protein, known as PC-1, in abnormally high amounts in diabetes patients 10 years ago.

The same 1995 paper showed that the PC-1 protein inactivates another protein, called the insulin receptor, which binds insulin. Other work in the lab showed that when this inactivation occurs, it prevents insulin from regulating metabolism of glucose in diabetic people.

The new discovery opens up the possibility of developing drugs to prevent or reverse the potentially deadly insulin resistance syndrome, says Goldfine, professor of medicine at UCSF.

Evidence from many investigators indicates that the insulin resistance syndrome is caused by the body's inability to use insulin efficiently, often leading to obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Type 2 diabetes. This syndrome doubles heart attack and stroke risk, and triples the likelihood of early death from either cause.

The new research was led by David Meyre and Philippe Froguel, leading French scientists in research on the genetics of obesity and diabetes, based at the Pasteur Institute's CNRS Institute of Biology in France. UCSF co-author along with Goldfine is Betty Maddux, a UCSF diabetes researcher who has collaborated with Goldfine on several key PC-1 studies.

The human genetics study involved an extensive analysis of the variations in the PC-1 gene in a family population study of more than 3,000 people. The scientists found that a common variant of the PC-1 gene, when coupled with other small changes in the PC-1 gene, was very strongly associated with insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes, childhood obesity, and adult obesity. The genetics researchers zeroed in on single changes in the sequence of "letters" that make up the DNA coding for the PC-1 gene. In a variant of the PC-1 gene called the q allele, they found that two such mutations, known as SNPS (single nucleotide polymorphism) increase production of the protein in both cells and in the blood.

The finding is the strongest evidence yet that PC-1 is a cause of insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes, and obesity in many patients, according to Goldfine and the French scientists.

Since Goldfine's 1995 report, a number of researchers have focused on different aspects of the link between the PC-1 protein and Type 2 diabetes as well as the related insulin-resistance syndrome. This year, studying mice that over-expressed PC-1 in tissues, Goldfine found evidence of the protein's role in diabetes, reported in the February issue of the journal Diabetes.

The medical needs of people with insulin resistance syndrome now account for about 40 percent of all money spent on adult medications in the US, according to a recent study. Overeating and inactivity strongly contribute to the syndrome, but the prime cause appears to be genetic. Although the insulin resistance syndrome and Type 2 diabetes affect a very large number of people, its specific metabolic causes have not previously been identified. The current study suggests that abnormalities of the PC-1 gene may be playing a key role in causing this syndrome, the scientists say.

Gene Strongly Linked to Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity

yeah yeah..

But what triggers the gene to start the cascade to Diabetes?

We're all carriers of genes for different syndromes. But there are triggers. Obesity being one of em.

ZpackSux said:
yeah yeah..

But what triggers the gene to start the cascade to Diabetes?

We're all carriers of genes for different syndromes. But there are triggers. Obesity being one of em.

Very true, but those protein products may be available for a new medication. ANOTHER means to medicate our obese population who can't control themselves.

I so agree, but found this article relevant. Not that I am endorsing, just interesting.

ZpackSux said:
Though, I would like to see "Exercise & Lifestyle" change prescribed by physicians where patients must comply with help of experts who can help patients exercise and change lifestyle. How could this be accomplished? I have a vague idea. But if anyone can pull this off, it will be a whole new arena of healthcare..and someone will profit handsomely.

Think of it, no more knee surgeries resulting from obese people ruining their knees, surgeries necessary because of diabetics who don't take care of themselves, doctor visits, private duty nursing and attendant services, drugs to treat these problems. I don't think anyone will profit from physicians prescribing proper diet and exercise.

A family friend was recovering from colon cancer recently and asked his physician if there are any diet changes he can make to help prevent his cancer from coming back. The doc said simply "no." This friend eats barbeque meat at least twice a week and rarely touches a vegetable. Did the doc not have the time, or not care, or something else?

Someone once told me to go to a physician for trauma, no question that we have the best physicians in the world for that, but never ask a physician for advice on healthy living because their knowledge in that area is usually very limited.

I'll show you my sister-in-law.

She's on like 50 medications for diabetes, obesity, migraines, depression, hypertension, cholesterol...

If her parents locked the fridge when they weren't home, cancelled the satellite TV, took away her cigarettes, and made her walk her dog a couple times a day I'd bet money she wouldn't need any of those drugs... oh well, what can you do?

Do pharmacists ever recommend to a patient that they could enhance the effects of a specific drug (or possibly end the need for the drug) by practicing better nutritional habits and more exercise?

I have worked in two pharmacies and I have not seen pharmacists suggest that the patient practice a healthier lifestyle.

gablet said:
Do pharmacists ever recommend to a patient that they could enhance the effects of a specific drug (or possibly end the need for the drug) by practicing better nutritional habits and more exercise?

I have worked in two pharmacies and I have not seen pharmacists suggest that the patient practice a healthier lifestyle.

Everyone knows that certain life-style habits, foods are bad for your body but not many people adhere to the advices. Who has never heard of "Diet and Exercise"? Everyone knows smoking, burgers, fries, lack of exercise...are bad but people still smoke & eat unhealthy foods, being a couch potato. Whose fault is that?!

Fat celebrities are in denial, saying they're healthy, feeling good about themselves, having all the self confidence, saying fat people are sexy! :confused: Even if I was blind, I'd still prefer Halley Berry over Star Jones any day!

Hello to ignorance. Goodbye to common sense.

lnn2 said:
Everyone knows that certain life-style habits, foods are bad for your body but not many people adhere to the advices. Who has never heard of "Diet and Exercise"? Everyone knows smoking, burgers, fries, lack of exercise...are bad but people still smoke & eat unhealthy foods, being a couch potato. Whose fault is that?!

Fat celebrities are in denial, saying they're healthy, feeling good about themselves, having all the self confidence, saying fat people are sexy! :confused: Even if I was blind, I'd still prefer Halley Berry over Star Jones any day!

Hello to ignorance. Goodbye to common sense.

Obese Celebriteis need some luvin too..

Once i watched the whole season of celebrity fit club.

ive never seen so much griping about moving in my life