Testing and treating flu and strep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamapharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
"I'm writing to personally invite you to join me and your fellow TPA members for our 2021 Pharmacy Day at the Capitol on February 16. While our event will be virtual this year because of pandemic restrictions, we need YOU more than ever to participate. The time couldn’t be more critical as we have the wind at our back with the Supreme Court ruling in pharmacy’s favor on PBM regulation, so we must act now to pass meaningful PBM reform legislation and not have to wait two more years. Also, we need to capitalize on the expansion of services we have been given under the federal PREP Act and make the vaccination authority we have for ages 3 and up permanent—not to mention pharmacists need to be allowed to “test and treat" for flu and strep. We NEED a critical mass of our members participating to get the ear of the legislators and schedule them for our virtual lobbying meetings. If you haven't already done so, please register here as soon as possible so we can get meetings scheduled."

Thoughts?

I'm thinking this would be GREAT for pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad.

DRE or nothing!

If we expand our services to this, do we get to see any of this money in our salaries or is this just more work for us?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If we expand our services to this, do we get to see any of this money in our salaries or is this just more work for us?
You won’t get paid more, but you will probably need to pay APhA $395 for a certificate to do it, so it will give you more tax write offs!

Reactions: 1 user
You won’t get paid more, but you will probably need to pay APhA $395 for a certificate to do it, so it will give you more tax write offs!
Can't deduct expenses unless you're 1099 or own your firm. Aka if you work for CVS not q deductible expense

I would assume we can anchor this for demand for higher pay. We couldve done the same for immunizations but our awesome leaders decided to just let big chains take advantage. If we can organize well enough like doctors or dentists, we can certainly play this in our favor.

From a PCP perspective, what exactly do you gain by doing this?
This would generate more revenue for pharmacy? If you work at a big chain, this would just be another burden but for independent pharmacies, it would be a great service to provide for patients.

We are taught in school that pharmacists are the most easily accessible healthcare professional and this would definitely solidify that status.

This would generate more revenue for pharmacy? If you work at a big chain, this would just be another burden but for independent pharmacies, it would be a great service to provide for patients.

We are taught in school that pharmacists are the most easily accessible healthcare professional and this would definitely solidify that status.
Wonder what the reimbursement would be for that.

I also have to wonder if you'd be at risk for a Stark violation, assuming you fill the prescription at your own pharmacy.

Wonder what the reimbursement would be for that.

I also have to wonder if you'd be at risk for a Stark violation, assuming you fill the prescription at your own pharmacy.
I would assume we would have to have a standing order from a physician? Just like vaccines. We would probably have a protocol on what to dispense based on the test results and diagnosis.

There is a really good chance this gets approved since it would be so much cheaper for insurance to reimburse pharmacists than doctors for these testings lol

Can't deduct expenses unless you're 1099 or own your firm. Aka if you work for CVS not q deductible expense
My response was tongue-in-cheek pseudo-positivity. Obviously incurring an expense and then writing it off does not help one’s bottom line.

But... u can't even write it off
I believe you can elect to itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction. It’s often not the superior option, however. Has that changed?

I believe you can elect to itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction. It’s often not the superior option, however. Has that changed?
Expenses as a w2 employee were removed in 2020

• Sad
At our income level I would be surprised if most *employed* pharmacists take the standard deduction. If anyone does and would like a lead on a good accountant who might be able to help you get more back from your taxes shoot me a PM and I will be happy to send you my guys info. I was doing my own taxes until I had an offer for a free review and then not-free amendment where it turned out I was leaving a lot of money on the table.

But regardless like others have mentioned for a W2 employee professional license costs and associated expenses cannot be (legally) deducted. You can deduct anything if you are willing to risk a visit from the IRS I guess.

From a PCP perspective, what exactly do you gain by doing this?
Increased access, but in reality, just more work. There's no reasons the techs couldn't do the majority of the work (swab and put in machine). Pharmacist would interpret results and prescribe accordingly. Naturally, the boards of Pharmacy would have to approve it. But just another "opportunity" for us to get further and further behind in filling and verifying prescriptions. I'm not for it, but whatevs. I'll do what I have to do, but my retirement is not too far away.

Reactions: 1 users
Increased access, but in reality, just more work. There's no reasons the techs couldn't do the majority of the work (swab and put in machine). Pharmacist would interpret results and prescribe accordingly. Naturally, the boards of Pharmacy would have to approve it. But just another "opportunity" for us to get further and further behind in filling and verifying prescriptions. I'm not for it, but whatevs. I'll do what I have to do, but my retirement is not too far away.
More work but also more opportunities for generating revenue, which we need desperately with at least 20% of prescriptions having negative reimbursements.

At our income level I would be surprised if most *employed* pharmacists take the standard deduction. If anyone does and would like a lead on a good accountant who might be able to help you get more back from your taxes shoot me a PM and I will be happy to send you my guys info. I was doing my own taxes until I had an offer for a free review and then not-free amendment where it turned out I was leaving a lot of money on the table.

But regardless like others have mentioned for a W2 employee professional license costs and associated expenses cannot be (legally) deducted. You can deduct anything if you are willing to risk a visit from the IRS I guess.

Well, I take the standard deductions, but between having the gaggle of children deductions and paying for college of the adult gaggle of children, I pay very little in federal income. These days won't last forever, I look up the before deduction tax rate and know that is my future. Unless I get a good accountant at that point.