Treating patients with HIV/Hepatitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uswer2939283823

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what precautions are taken during the treatment of patients with HIV/Hepatitis. I understand that the concept may/may not work and that it may/may not be ethical, but what is done in the real world? Are there any techniques that can be employed to avoid having needles near another hand? I don't want to sound discriminatory, but I was just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

uswer2939283823 said:
I was just wondering what precautions are taken during the treatment of patients with HIV/Hepatitis. I understand that the concept may/may not work and that it may/may not be ethical, but what is done in the real world? Are there any techniques that can be employed to avoid having needles near another hand? I don't want to sound discriminatory, but I was just wondering.
The best thing you can do for infectious disease patients is to develop a good routine of universal precautions before you ever see one. When you're in a groove of doing things the same way every time, the odds that you'll accidentally do something wrong this particular time out of the last 10000 are pretty slim. It's when people start going out of their way to be more super-uber-careful than normal that they get themselves in trouble, because they're not in that comfortable & familiar routine anymore, and that makes them a lot more likely to stick themselves with a needle, cut themselves with a bur or blade, etc.

uswer2939283823 said:
Universal precautions. Treat every patient as if they have infectious diseases because they just might :eek: ... Don't worry, you should learn all of this in dental school with no real rocket science involved :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if anyone has actually embraced these syringes with the safety devices??! are they used at all at any dental schools????

uswer2939283823 said:
How do you plan on knowing which patients have HIV/Hepatitis? A few of them will admit it, but many don't even know they have it. Now whatcha gonna do?

You treat every patient as if they have something you don't want. If it's wet and it's not yours, then don't touch it without a glove. This advice will also serve you well at the clubs on Saturday nights....

I really like statistics(not compiling just seeing). Does anyone have statistics on dentist who have been infected from an infectious disease like HIV while practicing dentistry..or a relative number? Im sure its really rare. Has anyone ever known anyone in this situation?

I've read that there has only been one has a case of a dentist getting hepatitis from his patients and none of one getting AIDS, but I think the article I read was from 1997. Interestingly and sadly enough, there have actually been a few (maybe 3 or 4) patients that have contracted AIDS from a dentist, but I think he did it on purpose.