Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Treatment for depression?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by OkiePharmD, Apr 6, 2007.

1. OkiePharmD

Does anyone know if we will be asked at anytime about counseling or treatment for depression? Will it exclude you and is depression considered a mental illness? I don’t think the schools will ask but what about when becoming registered as a pharmacist?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cycloketocaine

Pharmacist
    When and/or why would this come up? They don't ask about physical illness, so why would they ask about mental ones???

Just curious, where is this question coming from?

4. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Depression is a mental illness.

Are "they" meaning the admissions committee or interviewer? They can address anything in your application, so if you bring it up, it can be addressed.

If you choose not to bring it up, no one will know.

5. OkiePharmD

Yes...I'm asking because I'm on meds. Not any antipsychotic or anything. I'm not seeing a shrink either but I've been diagnosed, for insurance reasons, as being clinically depressed. I was also a foster kid and had to go to therapy but never diagnosed with any disorders besides depression and dealing with trauma. Ethically if I am asked I wouldn't feel right about hiding it, especially since it might come back to bite me.
    Thanks in advance
    oops, we posted at the same time.
    I wouldn't bring it up for interview. I remember seeing somewhere, maybe for med school, that you have to disclose this because it will affect you after graduation

6. comet81

comet81 Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Well, I was asked by one interviewers that what type of antidepressant is sold mostly at pharmacy store in these days. But, this was just because I told them that I wanted to be a psychiatric pharmacist.

7. cp5lb

cp5lb Go Browns!!!

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to ask. Mental illnesses, including depression, are covered under the Americans With Disabilities act, and they cannot discriminate based on disability. If you wrote your personal statement on dealing with mental illness, they might be able too, but short of that, I think you are ok.

8. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    I think unless you made it into an issue in your application, I really wouldn't expect them to make an issue out of it.

They probably figure you made it this far.. so it wouldn't make sense to discriminate against you for that.

9. eeyore spice

Pharmacist
    I actually mentioned it in my application.

SUNY Buffalo has a supplemental part where they ask if you feel you've experienced any hardships in your academic career, and I wrote about my depression and panic disorder. I also mentioned that I was scared to mention this, and hadn't when I applied the previous year, because I thought it might hurt my chances.

It didn't, I got in...

10. Hosstheboss

Hosstheboss Junior Member

Pharmacy Student
    I also told the schools I applied to about the fact that I was on some medications until recently as a result of serious sport related injury. I also got into SUNY Buffalo and the other school I really wanted to go. Got offered 8 total interviews. I don't think it will play a role in them rejecting you as long as you have a good reason.

11. PHARMD101

PHARMD101 Senior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Honesty is the best policy - these guys are not amateurs...they can sense it. It looks better when you are open about such issues and speak up!

On another note, feeling depressed?..Take a yoga class - your stress levels and Blood pressure will drop - talking from experience!

12. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I tend to agree that honesty is the best policy - but definitely use discretion when choosing when & where you share such info. If it is specifically asked, then you can answer honestly - If it is not asked, I would choose to keep it private.

Since it is difficult to predict when / if a question like that may pop up - I would adopt the "cross that bridge when we come to it" mentality.

~above~

13. Jack555

UCSD's Policy is

Students with Physical or Learning Disabilities | <A href="http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/admissions.shtml">Top Students who are admitted must contact and advise the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Student Affairs Office of any physical or learning disabilities as soon as the disability is evident. For more information please see the Office for Students with Disabilities Website at http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/osd/ or via phone (858)534-4382 (Voice/TDD) (858)534-9709 (TDD+TDD Mail).

http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/admissions.shtml#disabled

Thats the only place I've ever seen anything regarding disabilities. I don't really know anything about it.

14. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member

Pharmacist
    I don't think so. That was never brought up during my interviews. I actually think it's a bit rude to ask something that personal. Unless they have a direct concern with it affecting academic performance I don't even understand why it would be brought up.