Tri Beta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allymadeathing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Tri Beta? Do most undergrad institutions have this? I was advised by the pre-health advisor to join, but I'm still figuring out the process. This is really just to see if anyone wants to discuss it/the benefits. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was a member. Don't think I did much with it since I thought it was more of an honor society for bio majors so you had to qualify.

Thoughts on Tri Beta? Do most undergrad institutions have this? I was advised by the pre-health advisor to join, but I'm still figuring out the process. This is really just to see if anyone wants to discuss it/the benefits. :)
So all of these opinions are based on my undergrad and my personal experience with societies like that.

I had to look Tri Beta up, actually. Apparently there is one at my undergrad. In my opinion, with a lot of the academic based societies, they serve as resume/ application filler/ clutter unless you're actually being an active member and participating in leadership. There's a lot of those at my undergrad, and most of them aren't actually that helpful. But I don't know your circumstances.

If your advisor told you to join, I'd probably seriously look into it, but imo Tri Beta for the most part won't make or break your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Join if you'll actually participate in it.

So all of these opinions are based on my undergrad and my personal experience with societies like that.

I had to look Tri Beta up, actually. Apparently there is one at my undergrad. In my opinion, with a lot of the academic based societies, they serve as resume/ application filler/ clutter unless you're actually being an active member and participating in leadership. There's a lot of those at my undergrad, and most of them aren't actually that helpful. But I don't know your circumstances.

If your advisor told you to join, I'd probably seriously look into it, but imo Tri Beta for the most part won't make or break your application.

Join! it's a good way to be involved and get some leadership and/or volunteer experience... Not to mention you'll get closer to some of the professors, which will really help with LOR's.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh, it was one more thing to put on my application. Couldn't have hurt; dunno if it helped; never gonna need it again.

Actually, at my school it came with some free/required attendance at academic talks, which is valuable for anyone who's considering research and/or wants to know how research works. So, would recommend overall, though I agree that it's not make or break.

Reactions: 1 user
Join! it's a good way to be involved and get some leadership and/or volunteer experience... Not to mention you'll get closer to some of the professors, which will really help with LOR's.
Well... I'm 8 weeks from graduating and have already been accepted to vet school. Sooo It might be a little late for me hahahaha. :laugh:

I may be biased since I'm the president of my university's chapter and secretary of the region, but I absolutely love TriBeta. My chapter has been around for about 85 years and we've established our own student scholarship, research grant, and greenhouse. We do tons of volunteering in the community, socialize with fellow members, and have distinguished speakers come and talk about their research, so it is/was a fantastic way to get involved with other extracurricular experiences outside of vet med.

There are regional conventions and a national convention for chapters to meet each other as well! Every chapter will vary in what they do and offer, but my chapter has given me one of the best undergrad experiences in research, academia, and friendship!

I actually just got promoted from an associate to a full member of the Tri Beta on campus! My chapter does absolutely nothing lol, you just get notified if you qualify, and you get to have honor cords/put it on your resume.

Join if you'll actually participate in it.

Exactly, and the same goes for pretty much anything else you want to join. Think of it this way - if something on your resume/application is brought up at an interview, how silly are you going to feel if you didn't actually DO anything with that particular group? Similarly, if you're a member of a bunch of impressive sounding groups but don't have any meaningful experiences with that group, it isn't going to do much for you.

:lame:

Do they hand out snowflake certificates too?
Apparently! Did your certificate get lost in the mail? Here I'll attach it for you.

Presented to WTF, for being the best special snowflake:
special-snowflake-award.gif

I actually just got promoted from an associate to a full member of the Tri Beta on campus! My chapter does absolutely nothing lol, you just get notified if you qualify, and you get to have honor cords/put it on your resume.
lol it makes me legitimately kind of sad that TriBeta is nothing more than a resume padder at other chapters

I mean, I would participate if the group did do anything, but it doesn't. As long as your GPA for biology courses meets the minimum requirement, you get invited to join.