true or false

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beezies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a poorly written question but...Underneath an amalgam, if you decrease the amount of base it will increase the resistance of fracture for the amalgam.

The answer on the exam was false, please for the love of god explain why.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a poorly written question but...Underneath an amalgam, if you decrease the amount of base it will increase the resistance of fracture for the amalgam.

The less base then the less likely of fracture. (increasing the resistance of fracture is the same as decreasing the risk of fracture).

The less base then the less likely of fracture. (increasing the resistance of fracture is the same as decreasing the risk of fracture).

thanks for the reply. so why would that statement be false?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school is not about choosing the correct answer, it's about choosing the professor's answer. :laugh:

I don't know why it is false. It sounds like it should be true.

The only explanation would be fit the answer would be for the base to refer to the depth of the prep (pulpal depth)... so if you decrease the base (depth) then the amalgam would be thinner and as a result more prone to fracture...

the terminology used on the question sucks :eek:

The only explanation would be fit the answer would be for the base to refer to the depth of the prep (pulpal depth)... so if you decrease the base (depth) then the amalgam would be thinner and as a result more prone to fracture...

the terminology used on the question sucks :eek:

which would mean its true doesn't it ;)

thanks for the reply. so why would that statement be false?

Oh :laugh:

I don't even know why I tried to answer this question. I am an oral surgeon and questions like these are why I went into this field!

Hey B. If you take a look in our Operative Book, it says on page 108 that "Bases in cavity preparations for amalgam restorations and bonded resin or ceramic restorations lead to decreased bulk of restorative material and increased potential for restoration fracture."

because false is longer than true

because false is longer than true

lol, these omfs guys get me everytime.

The answer should have been true. More amalgam = more resistance form (ie resistance to the amalgam from breaking)

Sturdevant art of operative dentistry if you need a source. Page 1-1200 (Ie look it up):D
I know this is right, it has been beaten into us with sticks and rocks and gnashing of teeth until our brains can no longer take it.