Trying to apply to Pharm School as soon as possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suthurnbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, ive been loving this site for a while now, but this is my first post.
I'm currently taking my pre-reqs but i'd like to start applying as soon as possible. If i take full time classes up through maymester, summer one and summer two of next year, i will have all the classes i need. How soon is too soon to apply? Would it be harmful to apply for Fall 2009 even though i would only have about half the necessary credits? I know they accept students even though they havent completed all the pre-reqs with the understanding that they will be completed before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently taking my pre-reqs but i'd like to start applying as soon as possible. If i take full time classes up through maymester, summer one and summer two of next year, i will have all the classes i need. How soon is too soon to apply? Would it be harmful to apply for Fall 2009 even though i would only have about half the necessary credits? I know they accept students even though they havent completed all the pre-reqs with the understanding that they will be completed before school starts.

What courses will you be expected to have taken by the time that you submit your application?

I've taken:
A&P 1 & 2
Public Speaking
Art History
Psychology
Chem 1
Eng 1 & 2
Econ
some Maths

I need:
Bio 1 & 2
Chem 2
Ochem 1 & 2
Phys 1 & 2
Calc
Trig
Statistics

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion you should apply if you are able to get bio 1 and 2, gen chem 2, and ochem 1 done before, or by the end of the fall semester.

Honestly, you need to get some more sciences done. Why don't you take a couple/few this summer? The adcoms will be looking to see how you do in those, and having only a couple done right now doesn't tell them much.

And, they are likely looking to see how you do having 3 science courses in a semester (more like what pharmacy school is actually like).

don't listen to drugdoc, he is my evil clone :laugh:

jk jk. yeah u should apply. however, be aware that your application might be set aside until you have more classes done (aka won't look at it until they have your fall grades, aka won't offer you an interview until late in the game).

He..........or she...........????

Some schools require you have pre reqs completed by the end of the spring semester before matriculation, you might check into that.

oh dang! looks like i jumped the gun. my apologies ms. drugdoc.

Ive emailed admissions at the school i am most interested in but havent recieved an answer. I asked them for any advice about when i should apply. The school is South Carolina College of Pharmacy (MUSC @ Charleston) if that helps. Would my lack of sciences hurt me when taking the PCAT, which i would have to take this fall? I work full time at one job and part time at another job, plus school, so i can really only take about 3 classes a semester, 2 sciences and a math, all the way through summer II 2009.

Ive emailed admissions at the school i am most interested in but havent recieved an answer. I asked them for any advice about when i should apply. The school is South Carolina College of Pharmacy (MUSC @ Charleston) if that helps. Would my lack of sciences hurt me when taking the PCAT, which i would have to take this fall? I work full time at one job and part time at another job, plus school, so i can really only take about 3 classes a semester, 2 sciences and a math, all the way through summer II 2009.

There is Ochem, biology, microbiology, some genetics and calculus on the PCAT, or at least when I took it in the summer of 2006 there was. The test has changed since I took it. Is the school close enough to you that you can walk in and speak to someone face to face? I've always found that to be better because the audience is more captive. People can ignore a phone better than a person right in front of them, especially if you are a prospective student.

I finally got a response from MUSC and they said I would have to take the PCAT in october, but as far as the pre-reqs they said as long as i have a plan to show them it would be fine. I dont think I'll have enough sciences to do well on the PCAT...I'll be finished with my pre-reqs this summer, so it just sucks that i'll have to wait another year.

I finally got a response from MUSC and they said I would have to take the PCAT in october, but as far as the pre-reqs they said as long as i have a plan to show them it would be fine. I dont think I'll have enough sciences to do well on the PCAT...I'll be finished with my pre-reqs this summer, so it just sucks that i'll have to wait another year.

If you won't have the science classes, get some study material instead. There are tons of books out there to help with each subject. Check out the PCAT form and see if you can get some advise on what you need to study.

HTH

Chances are you won't know enough to score well enough on the PCAT. You need around 80% to be competitive.

I think that it's too soon for you to apply and I've always been a proponent to giving the application cycle a shot, even if your chances are slim to none.

First of all, I think someone mentioned that you don't have the knowledge necessary to do well on the PCAT and I agree wholeheartedly! Plus, All this time spent on studying for the PCAT will take away precious time that you could have applied towards improving your E.C's and improving your GPA (even if it's a 3.9).

I always like to remind pre-pharmers that just because you meet the bare-minimum requirements does not make you a competitive candidate, don't rush into it, take your time and make sure your application is as impressive as possible. You'll have all the time in the world to be a pharmacist, enjoy your undergraduate years!!!

met a guy while taking Kaplan course and he was 17, did a lot of AP in highschool and did summer school, and he just got into UT or A&M for Fall '08. He was taking OChem 2 last Fall when taking PCAT in Aug or Oct. Congrats to him, he'll be a 21 yr old pharmacist :scared:.

17?!?!?!?! luckyyyyyyyy him! ahh im so stressed with this whole application process and i don't even know if my chances of getting in are that wonderful...:scared:

in my opinion, you should try to apply at the end of your sophmore year or start of your junior. you pretty much finish with organic, anatomy and physiology, physics, math, and the bio stuffs. don't wait to long, because you have to take advance classes in your junior and senior year. those class are hard as hell (espcially biochem major and chistry major). I study my ass off and still get high B and low A. Also depend on your PCAT score. If you have a high PCAT score, apply right away. If not, wait a semester or two and try to improve it.