TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was anyone told by Dr. Haight that they would be getting an update letter in the mail? What does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too! what did you hear?? what update letter?
I don't know what it says yet, he said I would be getting it this week. I don't get what he would be updating me on. I am getting scared that its a nice way to say they are not considering you anymore :(

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I won't be invited to interview, but I am invited to apply for the Masters of Science in Medical Health Sciences starting this August.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that I won't be invited to interview, but I am invited to apply for the Masters of Science in Medical Health Sciences starting this August.

i got this as well, dated 4/5/12

also says theres only 10 seats in the master's program in the fall

Benicia! We moved here in Feb. you'll love it. We have 3 kids.

I am applying to TU-CA next year, and I was wondering if the Judaic values of the school ever came up in anyone's interview. I am Jewish, and I would love the opportunity to go to med school in a Jewish environment. Also, would it be OK to cite the Jewish aspect of the school as a reason for wanting to attend?

I am an orthodox Jew and wasn't questioned on it. Besides Kosher food and school closed on Jewish holidays, there is not much of a Jewish environment. Be prepared to answer why not other Touro Med Schools. Good Luck!

I am an orthodox Jew and wasn't questioned on it. Besides Kosher food and school closed on Jewish holidays, there is not much of a Jewish environment. Be prepared to answer why not other Touro Med Schools. Good Luck!

Thanks for the pointer. That's not something I had thought about having to address in the interview.

Hey if there are any females (sorry guys but the other roommate is a female and is very particular) looking for housing for TUCA let me know- I'm heading off to a field study and have a great apt in a safe neighborhood- PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me insight on touro-CA vs touro-nv and KCUMB?

Last edited:
Duh, Benicia is the neighborhood, thought you were addressing someone. Good thing I'm not the one trying to get into med school, lol
Benicia! We moved here in Feb. you'll love it. We have 3 kids.
drfam12 which neighborhood/suburb are you and your family living in? My husband was high-waitlisted at TUCOM-CA, but I would like to look at options out there, just in case July comes and we need to get out there over night. We don't have kids, just a small furbaby, so apartment living is ideal, and I will be commuting into the city for my job so midway point between mare island and the city. All suggestions are welcomed :)

Last edited:
I interviewed on Mare Island earlier this week. Dr. Haight said that the admission committee was meeting on May 3rd, for those of you wondering where they were in their bimonthly schedule.

Dr. Haight starts the committee meetings by telling them how may applicants from this week's interviews they can choose to accept. He said the May 3rd meeting would be the last of this application cycle where they were in Phase I (read the above posts if you have no idea to what I am referring).

They are interviewing through May so don't give up hope just yet.

If you have an interview scheduled the information in the posts above is correct: three of them (a DO/MD, a PhD, and an MS2) vs. five applicants. Be succinct and articulate, listen to your fellow interviewee's answers in case they want your opinion on them, and make eye contact with everyone.

Good luck.

Purely out of curiosity, what is their motivation for doing a group interview? it just seems like a great way to get a lot of students who are good at public speaking and professionalism (which the latter can easily be developed in medical school), and miss out opportunities on a lot of soft-spoken strong individuals.

They wish to replicate the pressured environment of rounds and see how applicants respond. Really, it is more like testifying in front of congress.

They wish to replicate the pressured environment of rounds and see how applicants respond. Really, it is more like testifying in front of congress.

pretty much. When I went to the Touro interview, I felt like I didn't really get a chance to show who I am. Then again, this was my first interview and I was ridiculously nervous.

Anyone on SDN get into TUCOM-CA off the middle wait list? I am just wondering about my chances...

Purely out of curiosity, what is their motivation for doing a group interview? it just seems like a great way to get a lot of students who are good at public speaking and professionalism (which the latter can easily be developed in medical school), and miss out opportunities on a lot of soft-spoken strong individuals.

I'm finishing up first year right now and I can tell you there are plenty of people in my class that are soft-spoken individuals with their own strengths. I sometimes wonder how their interview went based on their personalities.

Is anyone else interviewing next Monday? Would you care to meet another applicant at the Marriott?

Any recent waitlist movement happening? I previously read that it should be expected after May 15th, since this is the date for final deposit from those accepted. Anyone want to shed some words of wisdom on this topic?

They are still interviewing through next week, no waitlist movement until the first week of June.

Any recent waitlist movement happening? I previously read that it should be expected after May 15th, since this is the date for final deposit from those accepted. Anyone want to shed some words of wisdom on this topic?

Well, turned down my interview for next week, pursuing other options. hope somebody else gets squeezed in for Tuesday.

I applied for entry to the 2016 class, but no interview; however, I was invited to apply to the school's accelerated MPH program. Has any recently accepted student gone through that program? If so please let me know if I can send you a PM to get some insight into it. Thank you very much!

I applied for entry to the 2016 class, but no interview; however, I was invited to apply to the school's accelerated MPH program. Has any recently accepted student gone through that program? If so please let me know if I can send you a PM to get some insight into it. Thank you very much!
Hey, I applied for the class of 2016 as well and did not get an interview invite. When did they contact you about the AMPH option? I was told by Dr. Haight that they don't send invites out before June 1.

Hey, I applied for the class of 2016 as well and did not get an interview invite. When did they contact you about the AMPH option? I was told by Dr. Haight that they don't send invites out before June 1.

I also did not get an interview invite (submitted my secondary in late March). Yesterday, I got a mail about the AMPH program.

I also did not get an interview invite (submitted my secondary in late March). Yesterday, I got a mail about the AMPH program.
I've been complete since February. I'm hoping I haven't received an invite because they send them out alphabetically (my last name starts with a Z).
I had my hopes on being invited for the AMPH. Hopefully, I get it soon!

I've been complete since February. I'm hoping I haven't received an invite because they send them out alphabetically (my last name starts with a Z).
I had my hopes on being invited for the AMPH. Hopefully, I get it soon!

Would you guys mind sharing stats, for those of you who have received AMPH invites. Also, did you submit secondaries? Thank you.

I was just emailed by Dr. Haight. I interviewed on 5/15 and was placed on the High-WL. I am declining as I have begun matriculation into another program which I'm ecstatic about. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear back today. One less waitlister, best of luck to the rest of you!

I was just emailed by Dr. Haight. I interviewed on 5/15 and was placed on the High-WL. I am declining as I have begun matriculation into another program which I'm ecstatic about. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear back today. One less waitlister, best of luck to the rest of you!
Best of luck to you :)

Best of luck to you :)

Thank you! :)

Also, to all of you on the wait-list:

Expect movement soon, and a lot of it! When I interviewed on 5/15 Dr. Haight stated that for the 'first time ever' the school will not leave phase 1 of admissions. He stated that no rationing of seats would occur when our group was considered by the committee. (Interviewees from 5/7, 5/8, 5/14, 5/15, 5/21, 5/22).

Since I was waitlisted, it is obvious that not EVERYONE from these dates is being accepted even though there are enough seats left in the class for us to ALL be accepted. (This is what phase1 means, from my understanding.) Therefore, spots are still open in the class, and will most likely be filled by those on the wait-lists!

This is just my inference from what we were told by Dr. Haight and the fact that I was waitlisted.

Just a little bit of hope for the rest of you! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thank you! :)

Also, to all of you on the wait-list:

Expect movement soon, and a lot of it! When I interviewed on 5/15 Dr. Haight stated that for the 'first time ever' the school will not leave phase 1 of admissions. He stated that no rationing of seats would occur when our group was considered by the committee. (Interviewees from 5/7, 5/8, 5/14, 5/15, 5/21, 5/22).

Since I was waitlisted, it is obvious that not EVERYONE from these dates is being accepted even though there are enough seats left in the class for us to ALL be accepted. (This is what phase1 means, from my understanding.) Therefore, spots are still open in the class, and will most likely be filled by those on the wait-lists!

This is just my inference from what we were told by Dr. Haight and the fact that I was waitlisted.

Just a little bit of hope for the rest of you! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for sharing this. That is awesome and definitely made my day!!!!

Hi everybody! I interviewed on 5/14 and was also placed on the high wait-list. Are there any new acceptances/rejections/wait-lists out there that also interviewed on that day?

Hi I am a recent alumni of Touro university who used to sit on the admission committee. I have some insight on their admission process. So if you have any questions regarding waitlist, school , or admission feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Currently in the aMPH program and starting TUCOM-CA in the fall. PM me!

Hi Everyone ,

I was recently offered an interview for Touro-CA's MPH program because I didn't make the cut for their DO program :( Does anyone have any info regarding the MPH program - namely, how many people matriculate into the DO program after successful completion of their MPH????

Stats:
Undergrad
- Overall 3.2
- Science 3.2

Graduate (Biology)

MCAT 24S

Bunch of clinical work experience, research, volunteering, blah blah blah - same stuff everyone has :)

Do they look at your application as a student prior to the program or do the actually look at your complete application (including your performance in their MPH[)???

I have heard horror stories from people doing similar bridge programs (MHS), especially with Touro-NV.

Thanks to all those who reply :) :) :)

Hi Everyone ,

I was recently offered an interview for Touro-CA's MPH program because I didn't make the cut for their DO program :( Does anyone have any info regarding the MPH program - namely, how many people matriculate into the DO program after successful completion of their MPH????

Stats:
Undergrad
- Overall 3.2
- Science 3.2

Graduate (Biology)

MCAT 24S

Bunch of clinical work experience, research, volunteering, blah blah blah - same stuff everyone has :)

Do they look at your application as a student prior to the program or do the actually look at your complete application (including your performance in their MPH[)???

I have heard horror stories from people doing similar bridge programs (MHS), especially with Touro-NV.

Thanks to all those who reply :) :) :)
If accepted into their aMPH and then later their DO, you'll finish up both degrees simultaneously. Basically, if you get accepted into the AMPH, you'd have to re-apply to their DO, finish up all of your core MPH classes 1 year, do that guaranteed interview (if you're enrolled full time and maintain a 3.0 gpa), then continue onto COM the following year, if you get in. You basically will finish the field study and capstone during COM. They'll look at the complete app AND your performance in their MPH. Their MPH/DO dual degree program is somewhat developed so it's easier to get in with this route than MHS, IMHO.

From what I know, most of my classmates this year in AMPH either got accepted or wait listed. Last year I heard it wasn't that high, but the MPH program was still fairly new. Average MCAT was raised to 27 this year, so you might want to re-take it...just in case. They asked me about mine during the interview.

Does anyone know when the absolute deposit deadline for TUCOM-CA is?

It's June! Here's hoping for some good WL movement!:xf:

Currently in the aMPH program and starting TUCOM-CA in the fall. PM me!
Hey Uzzah,

I sent in my application for AMPH yesterday. If invited for an interview, I'm gonna hit you up for advice.
BTW, could you give us a little more information on the curriculum of the program and how easy/hard it is to complete the project?

Oh Hi i got the news today. I cant believe it. I am going to be a doctor.

Congrats! When did you interview? Did you send anything in after being placed on the high waitlist like letter of intent or additional letter of rec?

Yes, "you are never too old to become what you were meant to be" congratulations Nevertooold!!

How long were you in limbo (waitlisted to accepted)?