TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If any current students or alumni are viewing this, could you please visit the Touro-CA student life forums (http://www.tustudentlife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13) and give your thoughts on some new questions I posed? I just received an acceptance, and I'd like to make an informed decision soon!

Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm one of those people that always say good things about the school, But it seems like that's the wrong thing to do, now that I think about it. So here's the completely honest review about the place:

If your love ones live in california and around the bay area and you've only been accepted to Touro (and not stanford or any of the UC or Loma Linda or Western) then go here. You'll love it, it's in California...very close to your love ones...

If you are considering of going here because you want to "experience" California, then don't...Vallejo is Ghetto! There's nothing to do on Mare Island, and everything that's "Fun" is at least 20-45 minutes away (by car)...

If you go to school because of prestige, don't go here! it's only been around for 14 years or so...and it's only been in its current location for about 12 years, not nearly enough time to establish a strong foot hold considering UCSF has been around the same area since 1870? and Davis since 1966? They are really new to the area. No prestige here...

If you wonder if it is a safe live here? The answer is Yes... Mare island is very safe, I can jog at sundown everyday and not fear for my life. There are a lot of rooms for rent, and if you don't want to live on the island because there's nothing here except houses and the school then; Glencove, Benicia, or Fairfields are only 10-15 minutes away. Just don't live in Vallejo, it is sketchy there.

How is it compared to Western U? They're been there for much longer than we have, a lot more times to establish connections to the local community. They're more prestigious and well known than we are. How about the curriculum? I wouldn't know, I haven't gone there. How about the teacher? I don't know...

As for you questions:

1. the curriculum is so unorganized that it feels like going to a community college

I suppose? Personally I don't feel that it's unorganized. It's pretty integrated. I suppose if you're really critical of the curriculum you will find faults in it, but are there major flaws? I don't see it...
It always seems unorganized when you're trying to cram a medical curriculum into your brain in 2 years! If anyone had found a better way of doing this, they would've done so already.
Our curriculum has been adopted by touro-NY and they seemed to like it...So who knows...maybe your source was swamped with 1st block materials? They're really upping the amount of materials covered this year versus last year because class of 2015 will be the first class that will be required to have their board in before they can start rotation, so they want to compress the curriculum so we'll have times to study at the end of our second year.
There's a lot more to study for sure, but most lectures are well presented and the teachers try to lay out exactly what you Need to know for the exams, What you might want to know for the board, and what is good to know for clinical practice. (Most...there's always outliers)

2. some teachers are not qualified to teach.
Uhm, yes! these Doctors, none of them have a teaching credential!!! All they do is research and treat patients and stuff, they suppose to focus all their lives into teaching us...
But seriously, there are maybe two professors who aren't as good in teaching as the others, but these two are leading scientists in their field of research. They can't Teach perse, you know the type, the lab scientists who aren't as connected to people as others. However, there are tons of professors that are just wonderful, actually, almost all of them are really good lecturers and awesome mentors. I've attended many university and community colleges, and I have to say, the professors here are some of the most approachable, dedicated, fun, and easy going bunch.

3. bad facility, not a lot of classes or rooms for DO students...
How many classes or room do you need? If everyone were to show up to class, everyone who have a seat to sit.
Is anyone sitting on the floor during lectures? No.
Are there not enough places to study? No.
Are there not enough classes so that some students had to stay home while other go to school? No.

We're accredited for 135 spaces because that's what the accrediting body feels that our school can accommodate. "Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine–California is accredited by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and by the Accrediting Commission for Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges".
We got 200 seats in the lecture hall, but the accreditation body feels that we can only handle 135, so that's why there's only 135 spots...So don't worry, you'll have a seat to sit.

Honestly, if you want to become an osteopathic physician and want to be in California, this is your school!
If you are picky about how your school look, what other say about it, are easily annoyed by little things, like prestige, this is NOT the school for you. (and be honest about it, because there's really no point of going to a school if you're going to hate it. If you have other alternatives, I suggest taking it.)

thank you so much, i just heard that from a med student going to UC davis, i mean he doen't even know first hand, but i thought that i should hear from both side..
i have been invited to interview at Western on 1/12, far away, i guess i will claim my seat here and interview there to see how things turn out.
thank you again..
i am so grateful that i got the acceptance, but its just so sudden and it kinda sucks that i have to give my response so fast, i don't have $2000 on hand, i have to borrow from my parents.

So I've heard...from someone, who heard it from someone, that one of their friend was pulled from the low wait-list because he/she lives right next to the school, and it was a last moment kind of thing, and they had 3 hours to give an answer and yeah, it's possible. Another version of these story goes along the line of he/she has a husband/wife that's going to the school.

And this happens because near the end, when people (who are impolite and didn't bother notifying the school that they won't be attending the school since they got into another school that they like more) fail to meet their second deposite deadline get pulled off the list, there are empty spaces, and these spaces need to be fill fast, and they usually take people who are close to the school because it's kinda not feasible to tell someone that lives in NY to fly over, look for a place to live, and get ready because school starts in 2 days...

Don't get your hope up, but do send in a letter of intent and mention if you either live really close, or has relatives that is really close to the school, or any other circumstances where it's ok for you to get ready in two days...
And send this letter near the end of the admission cycle, where they are trying to fill spots... Just saying...

Thank you so much for sharing this whyrms. Due to family living in the area, i could theoretically move last minute so i'll definitely put that in an LOI. But i won't get my hopes up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If any current students or alumni are viewing this, could you please visit the Touro-CA student life forums (http://www.tustudentlife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13) and give your thoughts on some new questions I posed? I just received an acceptance, and I'd like to make an informed decision soon!

Thanks a ton!

Thank you for all your awesome questions! I have asked some fellow students in their free time to look at them but we have finals next week so it's a little tough. After that you will surely get more responses (I know the timing sucks for your decision making though).

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this whyrms. Due to family living in the area, i could theoretically move last minute so i'll definitely put that in an LOI. But i won't get my hopes up :)

Best chance of getting off the wait list and getting accepted is to do something (volunteer, teach, go to Africa, help out after a natural disaster) that isn't in your app, let the school know about it and how you are still interested in attending.

For starters, find some Touro student to shadow for the day so you can get a feel for Touro. Mondays are lecture days (8-5pm of just lectures), Tues/Wed/Thur are typically lab days (2 hours of lecture in the morning, 2 hours of lab in the morning, 2 hours of lab in the afternoon and sometimes 2 hours of lecture). When you send a letter of "hey I'm still want to go here!" you can have something to talk about (along with that /something/ you did).

Completed since early October and have not been invited/rejected or heard of anything from the school. I have been contacting Lynn and she keeps telling me that when the committee decides to invite you for an interview you will be notify via email. Do you guys know anything about this given the fact that I was completed almost over 2 mos now?

Completed since early October and have not been invited/rejected or heard of anything from the school. I have been contacting Lynn and she keeps telling me that when the committee decides to invite you for an interview you will be notify via email. Do you guys know anything about this given the fact that I was completed almost over 2 mos now?

Looking at last year's thread, Touro sent many interviews out January-March, some to people who had been complete since the fall, so I think there will still be several batches of invites going out this cycle. As long as you are complete and haven't been rejected, you still have a shot at an interview, despite how long you've been waiting.

<REDACTED>

-P

I'm working out the logistics now, and it's not nearly as easy as I'd thought...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody that interviewed recently receive an e-mail update from dr. haight yet??

Interviewed on Jan 9th, Accepted :) got the email around noon today

For those that have interviewed was it mentioned what percentage of spots have been filled already?

Hi!
My stats are similar to yours and I am curious to know about your ECs if you don't mind sharing. Are you nontrad? Postbacc? Worked in health care field?
Thanks for considering my request.

3.34 sGPA 25R MCAT here. I got the invite (also my first) a couple of days ago. I have all 3 above. 780+ hours working in the ED as a scribe, 20 (going on 34) post bacc credits at a 4.0, and graduated 4 years ago.

Hey guys who got an interview invite and have these types of stats... are you guys in-state? I have similar stats and good ECs, but have not heard anything in months from here. I read that they may still be sending out interview invites. I am from the midwest and think this may affect my chances of being invited... I'm just curious as to where you guys are from?

Hey guys who got an interview invite and have these types of stats... are you guys in-state? I have similar stats and good ECs, but have not heard anything in months from here. I read that they may still be sending out interview invites. I am from the midwest and think this may affect my chances of being invited... I'm just curious as to where you guys are from?

They do not care where you are from...they have NO regional bias. Remember your application is bigger than your stats and any one of several factors can play a role in your interview invitation...

You should email Lynn Huckle. I didnt recieve either my interview invite nor my complete status until I shot her an email. It seems to help for other people too. Good luck!

You should email Lynn Huckle. I didnt recieve either my interview invite nor my complete status until I shot her an email. It seems to help for other people too. Good luck!

I'll echo these sentiments as well. Contact Touro. Contact every single school for that matter, as often as comfortable.

Also, I've just been ACCEPTED. It's very exciting. I really liked the look of Touro-CA, and I've been considering Air Force HPSP so the price tag is not an issue.

My Stats: GPA: 3.6 MCAT: 30, solid ECs and "complete package" (or at lease no negative aspects). Interviewed January 8th/9th. Accepted within two weeks.

I hope things work out for the rest of you.

Just interviewed today and I liked the school, they said they typically interview until mid May, and that they will not begin rationing seats until mid February so people interviewing over the next few weeks have a great shot. They only interview about 400 people (10% of apps) and they offer acceptances to around 250 interviewees so getting an invite is a great sign, good luck everyone!

is the lecture mandatory in Touro? i hear they have lecture recordings but i wander if they will videotape the lectures soon?
thanks

is the lecture mandatory in Touro? i hear they have lecture recordings but i wander if they will videotape the lectures soon?
thanks

I think current students said that they do videotape lectures now =) . They just need to ask permission from the professor to see whether they can 1)videotape and 2) share it

I'm accepted! Interviewed 1/31 and got the email today around 12:30 CA time. I'm so excited since this was by far my first choice school because of location near family, committment to service and focus on primary, plus the MPH which I plan to do the global track. The indoor basketball court on campus is a big plus too! Glad I found out today because now I don't have to go to my last interview on Monday. Good luck to anybody waiting to find out.

ACCEPTED! Interviewed on 1/31/12. Accepted 2/3/12. In case you didn't know, the interview is a panel and roughly a group of 5 students. This was my first interview and so I was insanely nervous. However, the interviewers were great and in no way intimidating. The questions were fairly straight forward. My stats weren't the best, but I played to my strengths. I can't wait to start up in August!!!!!

CLASS OF 2016!

ACCEPTED! Interviewed on 1/31/12. Accepted 2/3/12. In case you didn't know, the interview is a panel and roughly a group of 5 students. This was my first interview and so I was insanely nervous. However, the interviewers were great and in no way intimidating. The questions were fairly straight forward. My stats weren't the best, but I played to my strengths. I can't wait to start up in August!!!!!

CLASS OF 2016!

Congrats! We interviewed on the same day, I think I know who you are, but not completely sure. I wonder how the rest of our interview day did...

I really liked the panel interview style because it took the pressure off of me since the attention was spread between 5 of us. It was my second interview and I didn't feel nervous like I did for my first interview, which was a 3 on 1. All the interviewers were great and friendly, though there is one interviewer that you can tell is purposely testing you. As long as you know that and don't get flustered, answer the question asked, don't babble, and be direct, you'll do fine. By the way, from what Dr. Haight said, it seems that the next two weeks of interviews they will be able to accept as many as they want per interview. After mid February (~Feb. 14) they will have to start rationing seats. Can't wait to start!!

I got high waitlisted here after interviewing on 1/31/2012, which was a little surprising because I thought the interview went pretty well. I did not care for the interviews themselves, they were not overly difficult but there was only about 45 minutes of actual interview questions split between 5 students, so roughly only 9-10 minutes per applicant of actual interview. It is a little bit of a luck of the draw situation in terms of what questions you are asked, and I felt that I was not asked any questions that were revealing of my character. I got an acceptance from a school that is supposedly somewhat more competitive, so I feel there is a lot of subjectivity in the process in general. I do have a relative who went to TUCOM-CA and has a lot of good things to say about the program, so congrats to those who were accepted!

Accepted: 02/03/12 :) Also interviewed on 01/31/12. It was such a quick response, but I'm glad to hear good outcomes from our interview group. So far that's 3 acceptances and 1 high wait list.

For everyone else still waiting on interviews or have interviews coming up, Dr. Haight says that they are still in phase one. That means that each time the committee meets they are evaluating 40 interviewees and the dean allows them to choose all 40 if they want. Next month, they may be going into phase 2 so the spots will start to be rationed out.

Although the group interview wasn't as stressful as I thought, I still feel that its hard for the interviewers to get to know us when we each have less than 10 minutes to show our character. That makes it very important to be concise in your answers. The majority of the questions asked have to do with specific parts of your application not the typical why doctor/D.O questions. I believe each person in my interview group was asked a question relative to what they have been doing recently and its important to integrate those answers into how that would make you a good physician. Our group took up the entire time, which left little time for questions at the end. The other group was already eating by the time we got back to the conference room ;)

Overall, the interview day went well. Dr. Haight was awesome and made us feel really comfortable right from the start and I enjoyed meeting the other interviewees. Hoping to here more good news from our group.

Accepted! Which is kinda weird, i didn't think i performed well during the interview. And I distinctly remember "rambling" and saying some stupid things, oh well...they liked me enough. :laugh:

do you happen to remember when you submitted your secondary? I'm trying to figure out appx. how long it will take to process supp. apps.

I submitted supplemental app early november. Got interview invite late December.

I submitted my secondary mid November and got the invite at the beginning of January. I think it usually takes about 4-6 non-holiday weeks to get an interview invite.

thanks

Current student here:

Lectures are 'mandatory' but honestly, I haven't even showed up to one this whole semester and last semester I only showed up for the first few weeks. You'll quickly learn that you can do better things with your time rather than be in lecture (like studying in the library). Also, if you dare, don't buy any books -- the library has many copies. (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic at all)

Also, if you dare, don't buy any books -- the library has many copies. (Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic at all)

Does the school provide electronic copies of many books? Also, do you know how much (approx) it costs the first year for all the medical supplies? Thanks!

Does the school provide electronic copies of many books? Also, do you know how much (approx) it costs the first year for all the medical supplies? Thanks!

Medical supplies will be about $1000
IDK if the library has electronic copies, but a lot of your fellow students will (and so will the upperclassmen). The first few weeks will be like a frenzy of hard drive exchanges

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I am a California resident but I have not heard back from the school yet.

Hey guys.
I have my interview on Feb 28th. From MA....West Coast is kinda a novelty to me.
So far been accepted at NYCOM, LECOM - Bradenton, and TouroCOM - NY.

Just wondering a few things:
a) How is the Interview? anything like the Touro-NY one?

b) Do people know where/what hospitals people do their rotations for 3rd/4th year?

c) If I get accepted (counting my eggs before they hatch here) would people pick it OVER the places I already have?

So I will say this again...you have four VERY different schools based on location alone. Florida is nothing like NYC which is nothing like Northern California. Long term, all four schools will prepare you to be a physician, so I would not worry about "which school is better." You will be living in this place for four years, and four very stressful years I might add. So you want to make sure that you are in a place where you are happy. It is completely a personal preference thing for you at this point. Some people hate NYC, the hustle and bustle of the city life just isn't for them, and some people like to have four seasons with lots of snow (I think they are crazy but they exist). So yeah, again, at this point, pick where you will be happy, it is not more complicated than that. :)

Hey guys.
I have my interview on Feb 28th. From MA....West Coast is kinda a novelty to me.

b) Do people know where/what hospitals people do their rotations for 3rd/4th year?

c) If I get accepted (counting my eggs before they hatch here) would people pick it OVER the places I already have?

Hey guys.

The rotation sites are always changing, so they could be different by the time we are 3rd/4th year students, but here is the current list of affiliated hospitals/rotation sites:

http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=75&page=45

As for which school to choose, a lot of personal preferences and the fit of the school come into play for that. For me, I chose TUCOM-CA and no school even came close because of location and it was the only school I applied to with an MPH dual degree with a global health track, both of which were huge factors for me. But others might not have any ties to the area and don't care about global health or an MPH.

As for the interview, there's plently of information in this thread and in the interview feedback section of SDN, but basically it is a group interview that is usually 2 faculty and 1 current student interviewers and ~5 interviewees. Dr. Haight does a great job of explaining the process and what they're looking for once you're there. But, in a nutshell, they're looking at how you handle yourself, your poise, your composure, confidence, succinct and precise answers that actually address the question and don't meander, your professionalism, and your presence more so than what you actually answer with. It's not so much to get to know you, because if you did a good job on your essays and secondary (which is likely if you get an interview!) then they should already know a lot about you, and the interviewers really have read your application in detail. Some people get frustrated because they don't feel they have time to tell everything about themselves, but that's really not what the interview seems to be for. Good luck!

Medical supplies will be about $1000
IDK if the library has electronic copies, but a lot of your fellow students will (and so will the upperclassmen). The first few weeks will be like a frenzy of hard drive exchanges

The library has the majority of your texts available in electronic forms, but whatever you do not have an eBook for, there are copies available in the library. There are book sales that classes ahead of you will hold to sell their used books at a lower rate, so look out for that in the first few weeks of school.

thank you so much, i just heard that from a med student going to UC davis, i mean he doen't even know first hand, but i thought that i should hear from both side..
i have been invited to interview at Western on 1/12, far away, i guess i will claim my seat here and interview there to see how things turn out.
thank you again..
i am so grateful that i got the acceptance, but its just so sudden and it kinda sucks that i have to give my response so fast, i don't have $2000 on hand, i have to borrow from my parents.

Of course this is my opinion based on my experience at Touro thus far and meeting students from Western. The Touro experience is better overall. There seems to be a stronger relationship between students and faculty at Touro and from hearing how the c/o 2013 at Western became guinea pigs for a new teaching approach, it didn't sound like the interest of the students was the priority as nearly 20 students were forced to remediate their 2nd year due to an exam at the end of the 2nd semester. I've heard these things first hand and reflecting on my overall experience at Touro, I'm very pleased. I am in no way putting down Western, but simply stating that I've had and continue to have positive experiences with Touro. You'll find that little things that frustrate you are commonly experienced by schools all over.

Got an interview invitation today. The next available interview slot is March 20. Just a heads up.