TUCOM early decision opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yinz,

I'm going to interview for TUCOMs for early decision in September and wanted to get some feedback from those who've picked this option in the past, whether they're happy with their decision, etc.

The reason I ask is that TUCOM is my second choice, while PCOM is my first...if accepted, I'm worried about having to withdraw my application from PCOM. Am I making the right choice here?

Also, TUCOMers, how do you find the cirriculum and student life in the bay area? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Mete.

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot, also, how are the rotations in the bay area? Is there a list available for TUCOM? Thanks,

Hey turkdlit, check out my remarks earlier...

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77466&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

Regarding rotations, while we are amidst two of the top medical schools in the country UCSF and Stanford, we are gaining ground regarding this.The 1st two graduating classes shared rotations with UCSF in San Francisco at multiple sites. We would hear back from preceptors that they preferred the DO students over the UCSF studnents. This eventually translated into hospitals shutting there doors to us initially since UCSF did not take to kind to those remarks.

Rotations are decent, yet are not real teaching institutions as of yet. There are great strides to get the hospitals we do have to get more involved and and they have started grand rounds lectures, formal lunch lectures once a week, some even have morning report. We probably are not as established as PCOM is in Philly, but give us 100+ yrs and I'm sure things will be much different then. Alot of our students still travel outside of the bay area to do rotations, mainly because they want to be back close to home... Many of them go to Southern CA in LA, where there are just phenomanally more hospitals to rotate through, esp since Western U (COMP) is down there.

Again, once you start 4th year you are more free as in most DO schools to roam around the country and do rotations where you seek residency, although the school is trying to keep the students more close to home if its possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks qdog,

I sent you a PM in response to your comments...

I'm kinda worried about applying early decision at TUCOM. Has anyone else recieved an interview invite there for 2004, and if so, are you applying for early decision? I'm just wondering if others have the same apprehension as I do :scared: Thanks ya'll,

turkdlit.

I opted to interview during the regular session. I suppose if TUCOM is your top pick, then the early admissions might not be a bad idea.

I've chosen the EDP because TUCOM is high on my choice of schools (second), and by opting to interview so early, there is a maximum number of seats available. Since my numbers are average, I wanted to improve my chances of getting accepted.

But yes, I understand the argument that EDP would be the best if it were my top choice. Thing is, location is the most important factor for me at this stage of the process. I would love to live in Philly, but just about equally as much in the bay area. The choice between the two of them then comes down to actually visiting, meeting faculty, talking with students, and all the other information you get by going through an interview. So point is, TUCOM may be a great fit for me, so may other schools, at this point I just don't know...

Choosing EDP is making me worry about sabotaging my chances at other schools. Would the adcom hold it against me if I changed my interview to the regular interview period? Mad appreciation for the comments left already! Thanks!

Originally posted by qdog
Again, once you start 4th year you are more free as in most DO schools to roam around the country and do rotations where you seek residency, although the school is trying to keep the students more close to home if its possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Someone I know talked to a 2nd year student at Touro. The student is worried that she will not find rotation sites and that the school won't help her find them. She's worried she won't be able to graduate in 2 years? Any reassurance? tks

Unfortuately PCOM doesn't offer early decision...I don't think many schools other than TUCOM do, for that matter.

I hear TUCOM is wonderful as far as education and facilities. Most say the area is drab and unattractive, but the faculty is supposedly friendly and receptive to students' needs. I've never heard anything about students having difficulty finding rotation sites; many TUCOM students have opportunities to rotate in PA and other east coast hospitals, as well as those in the bay area. I dunno, any current students wanna shed some light on this?

I guess we'll all have to see what the school is like ourselves, and not worry so much about word of mouth. If the school is a good fit, then the applicant would know it I guess...

finding rotations isn't that hard and if you have a doctor in your family or know someone as a family friend they could probably help you even more since they know people. you could even rotate at what some might think are predominately allopathic hospitals.

Originally posted by turkdlit
Unfortuately PCOM doesn't offer early decision...I don't think many schools other than TUCOM do, for that matter.

I hear TUCOM is wonderful as far as education and facilities. Most say the area is drab and unattractive, but the faculty is supposedly friendly and receptive to students' needs. I've never heard anything about students having difficulty finding rotation sites; many TUCOM students have opportunities to rotate in PA and other east coast hospitals, as well as those in the bay area. I dunno, any current students wanna shed some light on this?

I guess we'll all have to see what the school is like ourselves, and not worry so much about word of mouth. If the school is a good fit, then the applicant would know it I guess...

I actually interviewed at Touro in March for the waitlist; I liked the centralized facilities, people, and what they offer. I don't worry about the look of the former Navy base.

NDESTRUKT,

The 2nd-yr Touro student I mentioned in the above post is worried she won't graduate if she can't find rotations; my cousin-in-law, who's her doctor, told me this. He believes students shld not have to worry about their rotations b/c the school shld take care of it. I'll ask others who attend Touro.

i tend to care about the school more than the facilities too.

yeah i agree with you - 3rd and 4th year rotations should be arranged by the school. i don't think i'll be going to my school's places though no matter where i end up. I'd like to do a rotation in England and some in other states or whatever. i think that'd be great fun! i know it's possible because my friends do that - i'm not sure how difficult it is though.

from dpw68-
The 2nd-yr Touro student I mentioned in the above post is worried she won't graduate if she can't find rotations; my cousin-in-law, who's her doctor, told me this.

now i don't want you all to think i am a tucom apologist or something, but the above statement is just RIDICULOUS. granted that she is not a brick and has some skills, she should be able to make it thru 3rd & 4th years and graduate, finding a rotation is a non-issue. there are ample rotation slots for students. the student you speak of may just be concerned about having the most desirable locale, which she may not get based on how they set up the lottery.

Originally posted by floweree
from dpw68-
The 2nd-yr Touro student I mentioned in the above post is worried she won't graduate if she can't find rotations; my cousin-in-law, who's her doctor, told me this.

now i don't want you all to think i am a tucom apologist or something, but the above statement is just RIDICULOUS. granted that she is not a brick and has some skills, she should be able to make it thru 3rd & 4th years and graduate, finding a rotation is a non-issue. there are ample rotation slots for students. the student you speak of may just be concerned about having the most desirable locale, which she may not get based on how they set up the lottery.

I was wondering that myself when my cousin-in-law told me. Personally, I know I could find rotations and being in the military made me realize I had to action for myself on many occasions. Perhaps the lady is a chronic worrier. tks