TUCOM-NY Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say you would be competitive as long as you interview well.

Agreed. Your GPA is lower than their average but your MCAT is spot-on.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview invite so far for September. I'm trying to see if I can have it scheduled for the first week of October, since I'll be in D.C. at the time and I can stop in NYC. But we'll see...hopefully this all works out :)

Congrats! What was the time frame between secondary submission and interview invite? Also, does anyone know if Touro REALLY does interview EVERYONE they send a secondary to?

Congrats! What was the time frame between secondary submission and interview invite? Also, does anyone know if Touro REALLY does interview EVERYONE they send a secondary to?

Thanks! I mailed out my secondary on 8/29, they received it on 9/9, and I got the interview 9/10. The short turnaround time implies that they do interview everyone who submits a secondary. This is also indicated by the wording of the secondary app. confirmation email: "After a thorough review of your file you will be notified via email for an invite to interview if your file is complete."

It could be that they are extremely picky about who they send their secondary applications to.

[interviewing Oct. 5th! :thumbup:]

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it's an open or closed interview? Thanks!

Does anyone know if it's an open or closed interview? Thanks!

It seems a lot of the interviews from last year were closed file.

You know, I'm kinda surprised with how less active TOURO-NY's thread is than other schools. This thread has one of the lowest rankings for views and replies. I think this school is amazing, and definitely my first choice... even though I'm from Florida. Anyway, just thought that was sorta kinda interesting.

Mailing in my secondary this morning! Yaaaay

You know, I'm kinda surprised with how less active TOURO-NY's thread is than other schools. This thread has one of the lowest rankings for views and replies. I think this school is amazing, and definitely my first choice... even though I'm from Florida. Anyway, just thought that was sorta kinda interesting.

I am also surprised at how low-key this thread is. Last year's thread seemed to be pretty active.

I thought the school was OK. There were certain aspects of the school that I did not like. For example, they implemented a policy that requires students to go to lecture, and they are enforcing this policy by using fingerprint scanners. Also, the student representatives did not seem very enthusiastic about the school when I interviewed. Actually, one came across as pretty unprofessional in his demeanor and remarks.

There are some great aspects to this school as well. Their mission to help under-served communities, especially Harlem, is awesome. The deans seemed very approachable, and the facilities are very nice.

I am also surprised at how low-key this thread is. Last year's thread seemed to be pretty active.

I thought the school was OK. There were certain aspects of the school that I did not like. For example, they implemented a policy that requires students to go to lecture, and they are enforcing this policy by using fingerprint scanners. Also, the student representatives did not seem very enthusiastic about the school when I interviewed. Actually, one came across as pretty unprofessional in his demeanor and remarks.

There are some great aspects to this school as well. Their mission to help under-served communities, especially Harlem, is awesome. The deans seemed very approachable, and the facilities are very nice.

When did you interview?

does anyone think that a 3.61 total, and a 3.45 science , 3.7 non science gpa is too low for touro?

apparently that is what is noted on my application, according to an assistant at admissions there.

looks like i wont be going to medical school this year!

does anyone think that a 3.61 total, and a 3.45 science , 3.7 non science gpa is too low for touro?

apparently that is what is noted on my application, according to an assistant at admissions there.

looks like i wont be going to medical school this year!

I don't think your GPA is too low at all. I would think that you would be OK if all other factors of your application were up to par.

This goes back to the thread about rejections post-interview in the pre-osteo forum. If your GPA is too low, why did they ever invite you for an interview? I would talk to Obed and sort it out.

Yeah I had my interview last week and I'm not quite sure how I'm feeling about the school. I think it would awesome to go to school in New York City, but the students I spoke to weren't really as enthusiastic as I would have liked, which was disappointing. They did say that they liked the fact that the school was very new because it gave them great opportunities that they wouldn't get if they were at a different school, so that was encouraging. But I just didn't get the feeling that they LOVED it there, compared to the students at Touro NV. The facilities are very nice, though. I'm also nervous about the non-refundable $2000 dollar deposit within two weeks if you get accepted! Of course I would be extremely grateful for an acceptance but $2000 is a lot of money to come up with, especially so early in the game!

This one isn't as active because everyone keeps posting on last year's thread! :rolleyes:

Ok so to stop all rumors....Touro NY seems like a good school. I am not quoting another clueless sdn member who is repeating what they have heard, I was there for an interview today.

If you have any questions about the interview, or school pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I had my interview last week and I'm not quite sure how I'm feeling about the school. I think it would awesome to go to school in New York City, but the students I spoke to weren't really as enthusiastic as I would have liked, which was disappointing. They did say that they liked the fact that the school was very new because it gave them great opportunities that they wouldn't get if they were at a different school, so that was encouraging. But I just didn't get the feeling that they LOVED it there, compared to the students at Touro NV. The facilities are very nice, though. I'm also nervous about the non-refundable $2000 dollar deposit within two weeks if you get accepted! Of course I would be extremely grateful for an acceptance but $2000 is a lot of money to come up with, especially so early in the game!

Yeah, I got the impression that many of them saw it simply as a means to an end. I guess that's OK, but I've been at schools like that before. The atmosphere is better if students are actually happy to be there.

I thought the DO process started later. I can't believe people have interviewed already! I'm waiting for mine. I submitted all my secondaries in late august. 3.5 OOS 31 MCAT

This is probably a weird question but I already got accepted into the school I wanted to got to. I haven't heard from touro yet, do you guys think it would be weird if I called them and asked to withdraw my application to get my $200 back, they haven't cashed my check and I could really use the money for my deposit instead.

This is probably a weird question but I already got accepted into the school I wanted to got to. I haven't heard from touro yet, do you guys think it would be weird if I called them and asked to withdraw my application to get my $200 back, they haven't cashed my check and I could really use the money for my deposit instead.

well it wouldn't hurt, but I personally don't see a school handing that check back to you lol... but if you haven't gotten an e-mail saying they received your secondary and fee than maybe they would do it for you. you won't know unless you try!;)

I was wondering about my mcat score of 24 which is 10phy 8bio (low verbal 6) and 3.42 gpa with 3.1 sci is anywhere close to being accepted? along with regular EC volunteering and etc? thank you because I am an instate student and would love to stay in NY

hey imlost,

im lost too! have almost the exact same stats....24R MCAT, with a 3.45 science, and a 3.61 overall gpa, and a 3.74 non-science GPA. would like to hear from a DO school at this point, especially NYCOM and touro, bc like you i would like to stay close to my bf/family. i hope we both get in somewhere!!! this sucks.

I think you have a good chance....I interviewed there on monday with a person with those stats.

hey imlost,

im lost too! have almost the exact same stats....24R MCAT, with a 3.45 science, and a 3.61 overall gpa, and a 3.74 non-science GPA. would like to hear from a DO school at this point, especially NYCOM and touro, bc like you i would like to stay close to my bf/family. i hope we both get in somewhere!!! this sucks.

I'm sure you will hear soon...I had a 24Q (7 Phys, 8 Bio, 9 Verb) with a 3.39 Sciences, 3.54 overall, and 3.72 non-science, In-state...and I heard last week for an interview.

If I got one, and it looks like your stats are similar to mine, you should definitely get one!

Just got accepted. Now I have a decision to make...two weeks is not a long time.

They snagged the 2k from me last year because I was waitlisted at my top choice and got in after I had to pay the Touro deposit. It's real annoying but in the big picture its a tiny tiny dollar amount to be reason to not secure a spot in medical school. You're gonna be nearly 200k in the hole after 4 years so whats another 2k right? :rolleyes: :eek:

Hey Dochomer,

Are you going to go there?

No, I don't think so. The only reason for me to attend Touro is so that I wouldn't have to move and my wife can keep her current job. I got accepted to UMDNJ, and I really liked the school. When I compare the two schools, UMDNJ wins hands down. My wife is very supportive, and she is willing to move. However, I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing for her.

There were a few things I liked about the school, but overall I am not that thrilled about it. Plus, its students don't give me the impression that they're that excited to be there either. Whether it's SDN or the students I met that day I interviewed, I just got the feeling that they were less than enthusiastic about it - unlike UMDNJ.

TouroCOM-NY is a new school, so there are still some kinks to work out. But I was surprised at the paltry list of sites for clinical rotations, and they were spread out all over the city (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, etc.) My commute for the 3rd and 4th years would be redunkulous.

Overall, I just didn't get that "feeling" from this school.

Last edited:
I totally understand....I interviewed their and I only had the oppurtunity to talk to one student. I have also read all the posts on SDN.

UMDNJ is an amazing school, I hope to get an interview from them.

I totally understand....I interviewed their and I only had the oppurtunity to talk to one student. I have also read all the posts on SDN.

UMDNJ is an amazing school, I hope to get an interview from them.

Those posts aren't very encouraging. I know you have people come on here and complain and exaggerate their situations, but you would think there would be a lot of positive posts to balance the equation. The administration is aware of the negative comments about their schools as they told us not to really pay attention to them b/c they are stated out of context. They may have a point, but it still has a negative effect.

Those posts aren't very encouraging. I know you have people come on here and complain and exaggerate their situations, but you would think there would be a lot of positive posts to balance the equation. The administration is aware of the negative comments about their schools as they told us not to really pay attention to them b/c they are stated out of context. They may have a point, but it still has a negative effect.

I know, but sadly I confirmed quite a few during my interview

What was your experience?

The rumour about the dean was true, the library was very small, the research lab still being built, lack of enthusiasm for DO pihilosophy (among students), very few faculty listed, unfinished cafeteria, small (no tech) study rooms, apperant lack of study rooms between the pharmacy school and the do students, really young security gaurds, small facility

seems like alot wrong, however, those are the biggies. It was a nice school (new), but my impression was also effected by the lack of students to talk to, and the fact that the administration seemd very disorganized during the interview process (managing the groups).

The rumour about the dean was true, the library was very small, the research lab still being built, lack of enthusiasm for DO pihilosophy (among students), very few faculty listed, unfinished cafeteria, small (no tech) study rooms, apperant lack of study rooms between the pharmacy school and the do students, really young security gaurds, small facility

seems like alot wrong, however, those are the biggies. It was a nice school (new), but my impression was also effected by the lack of students to talk to, and the fact that the administration seemd very disorganized during the interview process (managing the groups).

What is the rumor about the dean?

I just thought I would inform those who interviewed on 9/14 that I got my acceptance email today. However, I will be going to LECOM erie, PBL instead. I will ultimately make a decision between LECOM erie and NYCOM once I see how my NYCOM interview goes November 5th and how much I actually like the school. Any questions feel free to reply.

I received my acceptance as well, but I don't think I'll be attending Touro-NY either.

I just thought I would inform those who interviewed on 9/14 that I got my acceptance email today. However, I will be going to LECOM erie, PBL instead. I will ultimately make a decision between LECOM erie and NYCOM once I see how my NYCOM interview goes November 5th and how much I actually like the school. Any questions feel free to reply.

Yea same here for me it's going to be between LECOM and NYCOM. I'm interviewing 11/10. Did you pay your Erie deposit anyway, I just mailed it in.
Here's a thread from last year comparing the two schools, if your interested. http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7955310

Yea same here for me it's going to be between LECOM and NYCOM. I'm interviewing 11/10. Did you pay your Erie deposit anyway, I just mailed it in.
Here's a thread from last year comparing the two schools, if your interested. http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7955310

I mailed in my deposit for LECOM erie yesterday. It is due 10/9. The only challenge left is for NYCOM to dissuade me enough, 1500 dollars enough, from going to LECOM. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I will say LECOM impressed me when I went there. I like the idea of cheap and their match list, in addition to their clinical rotation list was a big plus for me. I'm still unsure about they idea if LECOM pays affiliated hospitals a fee for rotations? I heard that they do not, which is one reason LECOM is so cheap and that some people from LECOM are more likely to get dropped from a hospital for rotations than other schools. I'm sure even if this were true it would not be that big of a deal.

Last edited:
I mailed in my deposit for LECOM erie yesterday. It is due 10/9. The only challenge left is for NYCOM to dissuade me enough, 1500 dollars enough, from going to LECOM. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I will say LECOM impressed me when I went there. I like the idea of cheap and their match list, in addition to their clinical rotation list was a big plus for me. I'm still unsure about they idea if LECOM pays affiliated hospitals a fee for rotations? I heard that they do not, which is one reason LECOM is so cheap and that some people from LECOM are more likely to get dropped from a hospital for rotations than other schools. I'm sure even if this were true it would not be that big of a deal.

Oh really, that's why it's so cheap. Yea I liked the price, price to live there, the school in general, the pathways etc. LECOM was my last choice when I went there easily became my first/second choice. Even if they did drop the student you can always find somewhere else to rotate. The match list was a huge plus. I think I want to stay in New York for residency so that plus what I get out of my visit to NYCOM will make my final decision. It's interesting to know so many students end up having to choose between the two.

Well, I got the secondary. Someone tell my something positive about this school, please :(

There is nothing wrong with this school. In fact I think it would be a very good choice but it all comes down to preference and the kind of education you want. At first blush I thought this school had the resources to provide students with a great education. Not to mention they have a small but good clinical rotation list. However, I had gone to LECOM for an interview prior to TOURO and LECOM made an impression on me. So my view of TOURO may have been tainted before the interview, but looking back at this point I don't think it would've matter. I personally, for one, do not want to spend a fortune living in the city. Secondly, lets be honest, its a new school. There are of course pros and cons to this but ultimately I would rather be at a school with an established name along with professors who have taught at a particular school for a while. That is just me though. And to be kind of superficial the school did seem to be very disorganized during my interview. My group never had the opportunity to meet any students, which in my opinion is the most important part of a med school interview. At LECOM we sat down with students and they told their perspective of the school. If I had a similar opportunity at TOURO I truly believe this would have made a big difference on my view of the school.
Ultimately, I think this is a new, but good school with a lot of potential. For those that choose to go this I think for future pre med students it would be beneficial for you to reveal to them the good qualities of this school. Give it some justice. I really believe it merits and deserves thus far in its existence a good reputation.

Thanks for the reply. I love love love the location and their mission statement, it just sucks to see all of these negative things about the school on SDN. I figure their tuition isn't that bad, I could deal with cost of living. I probably won't ever have any reason to live in New York.

About tours: My friend, a first year med student, thought she had only looked down the hallway to see her friend leading a tour of applicants at her school. Later, her friend asked why she had scowled at them. She was so stressed with classes and studying she hadn't even realized she had done it. I have to wonder what the interviewees thought of that :laugh:

The facility is brand new, it looked amazing. The anatomy lab is state of the art (has a sound system, and a 10 min new air system). Visiting the school radically changed my view of the school and the amdministration there. I will not say that there are not problems, but compared to other new schools, I think they are doing alright.

Furthermore, yes it is a new school, but it an extension of the TOURO brand, a system that has already produced 2 medical schools (CA and NV), both of which are now established.

The worst thing about the school....is the nonrefundable deposit 2 weeks after an acceptance letter....alot of people have innterviews after that period....so it is a tough choice.

I'm coming from Texas. Does anyone have any travel tips? Best airport to fly into, best place to stay?

I was thinking about flying into La Guardia and just picking a decent hotel somewhere between there and the school and grabbing a cab to and from the school on interview day. Does anyone else have any advice?

Is anyone else going on 10/14?

I'm coming from Texas. Does anyone have any travel tips? Best airport to fly into, best place to stay?

I was thinking about flying into La Guardia and just picking a decent hotel somewhere between there and the school and grabbing a cab to and from the school on interview day. Does anyone else have any advice?

JFK and La Guardia are in Queens, so you will need to travel regardless. So I would just try to find the cheapest ticket you can at any one of the airports. Staying in Manhattan is the easiest thing to do, but it will be pricier.

I'll be there on the 14th!

Sorry to hear that some of you guys didn't get to talk with first year medical students. This was most likely because of our mandatory attendance policy, and going around helping prospective medical students was not entitled to be an excused absence. Thus, most of us chose to go to class. If you do have any questions, please feel free to message me, as I'm a first year, and I can reply with whatever you need.

I check my e-mail for the secondary as much as a diabetic checks their blood sugar....ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! this is my number one school on my list, and I just wanna get an interview...my application has been considered complete for about a week now (took august MCAT so they had to wait forever). how long after being complete do they usually send out secondaries?