Tufts 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you tried the University of New England online health prerequisites?
They told me that is not acceptable even before I asked... I was able to find a couple but the only program they would accept (UC Berkeley extension) does not offer online organic chemistry 2 but I don't live in Berkeley

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked and they don't accept this one... thank you though!

Are there any universities or community colleges near you that are still registering for spring classes? Schools on the quarter system might still have seats open.

Otherwise, I suggest searching on the pre-allo forum or just asking Tufts for a specific online course (or at least asking what they're looking for/why others have been rejected).

Did they say why?

Are there any universities or community colleges near you that are still registering for spring classes? Schools on the quarter system might still have seats open.

Otherwise, I suggest searching on the pre-allo forum or just asking Tufts for a specific online course (or at least asking what they're looking for/why others have been rejected).

Thank you for the suggestions! No they did not explain why and I did not ask. I will just try to figure this out when I go there for interview!

I had my interview yesterday when do we find out their decision??

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I had my interview yesterday when do we find out their decision??

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Last year people who didn't get invited for the super early interview day were notified on 2/19. So I'm assuming maybe in a couple weeks?

Reactions: 1 users
How did you guys feel about your interview? Mine was so hard to read, we mostly talked about research. It was easy, but a bit disheartening that I wasn't really asked questions that I think speak to my abilities...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
How did you guys feel about your interview? Mine was so hard to read, we mostly talked about research. It was easy, but a bit disheartening that I wasn't really asked questions that I think speak to my abilities...

Mine felt similar to that. The interviewers focused on my research experience but I was hoping we would have talked more about my shelter experience since I have way more of it and I'm more passionate about it. It just went a lot differently than I was expecting.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine felt similar to that. The interviewers focused on my research experience but I was hoping we would have talked more about my shelter experience since I have way more of it and I'm more passionate about it. It just went a lot differently than I was expecting.

I'm the opposite, and have years of research experience, no clinical, some shelter, and tons of lab animal. Unfortunately I never even discussed my own research, they were mostly discussing their interests. I didn't feel great about it, but hoping for the best I guess. I really wanted to talk about some unique experiences I've had, but the conversation never went that way... I don't have any acceptances yet so I'm starting to get nervous :/

I'm the opposite, and have years of research experience, no clinical, some shelter, and tons of lab animal. Unfortunately I never even discussed my own research, they were mostly discussing their interests. I didn't feel great about it, but hoping for the best I guess. I really wanted to talk about some unique experiences I've had, but the conversation never went that way... I don't have any acceptances yet so I'm starting to get nervous :/

Don't stress too much :). They had all of your application info in front of them so they know the cool things you've done. If they were talking about their interests etc. I think that's a good sign and maybe they were trying to sell themselves to you!

Most of my experience is with lab animal, SA, and public health and I was able to talk about the research I've done, but it was still hard to read them even though they were nice.

Yeah I don't have any acceptances either and I only interviewed there and at Purdue so I'm really nervous. Did you interview anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress too much :). They had all of your application info in front of them so they know the cool things you've done. If they were talking about their interests etc. I think that's a good sign and maybe they were trying to sell themselves to you!

Most of my experience is with lab animal, SA, and public health and I was able to talk about the research I've done, but it was still hard to read them even though they were nice.

Thanks :) that does make me feel better to think about it like that! They were super nice, it didn't even feel like an interview

Yeah I don't have any acceptances either and I only interviewed there and at Purdue so I'm really nervous. Did you interview anywhere else?

I only applied to 4 schools: UC Davis (my in state) and got rejected after being waitlisted for an interview, I interviewed at Colorado state and just found out yesterday I am an alternate so was pretty disappointed because there's no way to know where I am on the list, tufts obviously, and I'm still waiting to hear about Wisconsin at Madison and they don't interview. I have no first choice at this point it's wherever I get in!

I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna do if I don't get in. I'll apply again and definitely broaden my horizons, but now I need to get a new job! PM me too if you need moral support

I would not worry too much about that! I have a very similar background, tons of research, some animal experience and very little clinical. They asked about only one of my very short and less important experience (which was a 2 month internship when I was undergrad, compare to other research in grad school), only because that one got published (on not even a very good journal). My name was on more than one published paper but I was only able to explain that one project and we just moved on.
Current students told me that they are more interested in learning our personalities and see if we could fit in withthe class rather than how smart or experienced we are. I guess getting an interview means that they already agree that we are smart and awesome!

I would not worry too much about that! I have a very similar background, tons of research, some animal experience and very little clinical. They asked about only one of my very short and less important experience (which was a 2 month internship when I was undergrad, compare to other research in grad school), only because that one got published (on not even a very good journal). My name was on more than one published paper but I was only able to explain that one project and we just moved on.
Current students told me that they are more interested in learning our personalities and see if we could fit in withthe class rather than how smart or experienced we are. I guess getting an interview means that they already agree that we are smart and awesome!

Ya my grad school research wasn't brought up, despite having publications, so I was worried that maybe they didn't see that on my application... good luck to you!! Is tufts your first choice?

Ya my grad school research wasn't brought up, despite having publications, so I was worried that maybe they didn't see that on my application... good luck to you!! Is tufts your first choice?

Thank you, good luck! I am pretty sure they have read all your experience, so don't worry! They cannot cover everything in the time given anyways.
I really like their wildlife program and Tufts is definitely one of my top choices! I don't have any acceptance at this point so I'd say I will go anywhere that accepts me :)

I'm in MA right now since plane tickets were substantially cheaper flying in Sat and leaving Tues, versus flying in Mon and leaving Tues. I hung around downtown Boston, Chinatown, and took a quick glimpse of campus...

I'm in love with this entire area!! Quite different from most other veterinary schools located in very isolated rural areas. I'm hoping I rock my interview on the 7th!!

I'm in MA right now since plane tickets were substantially cheaper flying in Sat and leaving Tues, versus flying in Mon and leaving Tues. I hung around downtown Boston, Chinatown, and took a quick glimpse of campus...

I'm in love with this entire area!! Quite different from most other veterinary schools located in very isolated rural areas. I'm hoping I rock my interview on the 7th!!

Good luck on the 7th! What did you think of Grafton when you took a quick glimpse at campus? Wondering if it feels too removed from Boston or if the distance isn't too bad.

Good luck on the 7th! What did you think of Grafton when you took a quick glimpse at campus? Wondering if it feels too removed from Boston or if the distance isn't too bad.
It is definitely far removed from Boston. If it were in Medford where tufts main campus is then it would feel close and part of Boston, but the drive to north grafton is far enough that the whole area just feels like another central mass Oldfield town. It's beautiful though and the small town has a lot of great things to it!

It is definitely far removed from Boston. If it were in Medford where tufts main campus is then it would feel close and part of Boston, but the drive to north grafton is far enough that the whole area just feels like another central mass Oldfield town. It's beautiful though and the small town has a lot of great things to it!

Grafton is very much a quiet/rural area, a little more spread out than a suburb. It's about 50min to an hour away from Downtown Boston, which honestly isn't too bad compared to some of the veterinary schools out there (Kansas/A&M/etc) that take about 2+ hours to reach the next major city. My family and I are using a rental car to get around, but I talked to some of the locals around here and it seems like public transportation is very effective and a car isn't really necessary.

Like Maineroot said, it's a beautiful area with such a quaint feel - but not too spread out from other places that have a bit more urbanization to it.

Oof. One of my interviewers yawned at one point and they didn't seem interested OR disinterested in what I had to say.

This interview was so hard to read. I'm pretty much expecting rejection at this point.

Dying to hear back. Anyone else?

Oof. One of my interviewers yawned at one point and they didn't seem interested OR disinterested in what I had to say.

This interview was so hard to read. I'm pretty much expecting rejection at this point.

I thought the same thing. I felt like I gave really good answers but only one interview was actually feeling it, if you will lol. Definitely a good cop bad cop scenario, one doc nodded along and smiled the whole time, the other grilled me with follow up questions about my research and experiences. So, same boat as you pal haha

Dying as well. Seriously. Also expecting rejection but just need to know. Felt terrible about it.

Anyone have an inkling of when we may find out? I know in the past, decisions have come out on a Friday but just wondering!

Anyone have an inkling of when we may find out? I know in the past, decisions have come out on a Friday but just wondering!
According to last year's thread, it was the third Friday of Feb. I'm expecting it to be next week, hopefully.

The veterinary student who was working at reception for my interview mentioned it would be around the 20th. I am not sure how hard that deadline is but it seems like we will know pretty soon!

That's so late compared to other schools haha

Cannot wait to hear from Tufts!!

Reactions: 6 users
just wanted to let everyone know.. when i emailed admissions they said they would be meeting on feb 15th and that we won't have any updates until after the 15th and probably about a week after that date...

Reactions: 3 users
just wanted to let everyone know.. when i emailed admissions they said they would be meeting on feb 15th and that we won't have any updates until after the 15th and probably about a week after that date...
Yeah, I was told by my interviewers that I wouldn't hear any earlier than February 20th.

Anyone else applying to their dual degree programs? I just got an email to start my MPH/DVM application, but it seems counterintuitive to send them so close to the decision release date if some people might be rejected after they complete thir application.

I wonder if my optimistic hope that this is a good sign is insane?

EDIT: It was just my optimistic hope. Seems like everyone got the e-mail.

Last edited:
Anyone else applying to their dual degree programs? I just got an email to start my MPH/DVM application, but it seems counterintuitive to send them so close to the decision release date if some people might be rejected after they complete thir application.

Yeah it's hard to decide if I want to do a dual degree if I don't even know if I'm in yet haha. Hopefully we'll know soon at least

I was thinking the same thing.... hahah I am trying to find any ounce of hope that I may be potentially accepted. hahah

I was thinking the same thing.... hahah I am trying to find any ounce of hope that I may be potentially accepted. hahah
Yeah it's hard to decide if I want to do a dual degree if I don't even know if I'm in yet haha. Hopefully we'll know soon at least

Did you guys indicate interest in the program on your VMCAS app? Or did everyone get the email regardless??

I think they always send the email every year regardless. I didn't say i was interested in it this year and I just got it as well.

Did you guys indicate interest in the program on your VMCAS app? Or did everyone get the email regardless??
Yes I got the email too and I did not indicate that I was interested in it. I think it is automatically sent out to everyone who had interviews. It is kinda like how they required us to send in our financial information in order to apply for institutional aid before we even were accepted.

Yeah I didn't indicate an interest in a dual degree either.

Anyone else hopeful that today is the day?

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else hopeful that today is the day?

Today is President's Day, and most of MA gets the day off for the holiday. Likely won't be today unfortunately :/

Hopefully sometime this week though!

The waiting is killing me! I really hope we find out sooner rather than later!

Today is President's Day, and most of MA gets the day off for the holiday. Likely won't be today unfortunately :/

Hopefully sometime this week though!
giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Sooo because I'm an impatient mess, I called them just 5 seconds ago. They said they're still working on decisions, with fingers crossed to have them released by this week. She didn't give me an exact date and I didn't want to press for one, so if we're down on our luck, we might be waiting until next week. We are to receive an e-mail telling us to check our portal once decisions have been released, but don't be checking it obsessively (oops lol)!

Reactions: 6 users
Sooo because I'm an impatient mess, I called them just 5 seconds ago. They said they're still working on decisions, with fingers crossed to have them released by this week. She didn't give me an exact date and I didn't want to press for one, so if we're down on our luck, we might be waiting until next week. We are to receive an e-mail telling us to check our portal once decisions have been released, but don't be checking it obsessively (oops lol)!

I really thought today was the day! Here's to more waiting!

Thank you for calling and posting the update!
And I am gonna again check my emails 500 times a day lol