Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd start this thread up because I have an important question to ask--does anyone know when the application will open for 2012? I've looked through the website and can't find a date.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had thought that it was already open. Maybe just a wrong assumption on my part. Have you tried clicking on where it says to apply?

I had thought that it was already open. Maybe just a wrong assumption on my part. Have you tried clicking on where it says to apply?

It still says 2011 on the application (after you click through), which gave me pause. I'm not sure if it's last year's application or this year's one :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I just went there and saw that, too. Hmmmm.... I don't know if that means that the application is in 2011 while the matriculation year is 2012 or what. I think I will wait a couple of weeks and check again. If it hasn't changed, then I will email the admissions office and ask about it.

Aw man! I just started filling it out assuming it was the deadline in 2011 for class of 2012... I feel like I had been looking at it every once in a while to see when it changed, and it said 2010 until the beginning of June or so.... ?

Have you guys started to look through the application? I actually sent an email to admissions yesterday because I was wondering if we're supposed to list all animal experience under the "Veterinary, Animal, and Health Science Experience Report." The title sounds like we are, but the description underneath seems worded to be that experiences must be under vet or other health professional supervision to count.... I will let y'all know what they say...

I didn't look at it because of the confusion as to which application year the application is for. If you find out that you're working on the correct application, let us know. I'd like to get in there, too, and see it all and start on it. Thanks.

Not sure how helpful this will be, as things may have changed....but when I applied, the new application went up in early August. I'd already started filling out some of the basic info, & that transferred just fine so that I didn't have to start over again. The essays were different, however--that may or may not be the case from year to year.

You can always check with Admissions--they're super-friendly! At the very least, you can verify that your saved info will stay there, focus on filling out those general sections, & then all you'll have to do is work on the new essays once they're posted.

Good luck to all of you!:luck:

Guppy,
Thanks for the info. I guess there's no harm in getting started then!

I talked to admissions, they're hoping to have it up by the end of June, but weren't sure exactly when.

Got an email last night that the 2012 Application is open and any information entered in the previous version should be transferred to the new one, except essays.

Have fun everyone. ;)

ETA: Also- the "Veterinary, Animal, and Health Science Experience Report" is the place to enter all animal experiences, according to admissions. I'm not sure if anything about that page has changed since I haven't checked out the new app yet, but if it's still the same, that's the place to put all your animal stuff.

Just saving this thread from falling into the abyss.

How's everyone doing on their applications? :D

Of course, right after I post that reply I realize I have a question myself. I've seen this addressed somewhere in the forum before but, don't remember the answer.

If a class contained the lab (instead of it being a seperate class), how do you work that into the application.

For example, instead of a 3 hour class and 1 hour lab, it was a 4 hour combined class.

I think we can just write that the lab was included with the lecture in the space available for lab. I have started the application and am noodling on the essay questions. Not the same as personal statements, so I'll have to figure out why I should be one of the 100! I guess I have time since it's not due until November. Not easy to do much writing in this heat wave we're having here in the East (it's even hot with the AC going). Does anyone know how many out-of-state applicants Tufts takes? It seems to change from year to year according to the state funding they receive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, right after I post that reply I realize I have a question myself. I've seen this addressed somewhere in the forum before but, don't remember the answer.

If a class contained the lab (instead of it being a seperate class), how do you work that into the application.

For example, instead of a 3 hour class and 1 hour lab, it was a 4 hour combined class.

And they were graded as one class? Then I'd list the lecture as "Chem 330 Lect and Lab" and note in the lab row that it was included in the lecture.

Actually I'd probably call the admissions office and ask. They really won't bite, promise. And I like talking to them. :D

They are EXTREMELY nice! I called them to discuss my transcripts and resumes back in the Spring. It definitely made me feel better about my chances.

Also, I'm having trouble fitting the names the organizations I've worked for in the name boxes....I'll call them about that Monday but, just curious what you guys were doing for that? If you've even encountered that problem.

They are EXTREMELY nice! I called them to discuss my transcripts and resumes back in the Spring. It definitely made me feel better about my chances.

Also, I'm having trouble fitting the names the organizations I've worked for in the name boxes....I'll call them about that Monday but, just curious what you guys were doing for that? If you've even encountered that problem.

drwildlife: not sure how to respond to this question except to call admissions. they are super approachable and will know how to field that question best. maybe you shouldn't have done so many things?:p just kidding!!! :biglove:

I'm reading this as the names of the orgs were too long to fit in the given space? I think I had a couple like that, and I abbreviated as best I could, and I may even have had a bit of the word cut off in the end for one of them (that's what happens when I do taxes, so I figured if the IRS is okay with it, vet schools should too). But yeah, ask if you're worried about it.

drwildlife: not sure how to respond to this question except to call admissions. they are super approachable and will know how to field that question best. maybe you shouldn't have done so many things?:p just kidding!!! :biglove:

whatevaaa, kaydub! :D

And, yes, part of it was the organization name not fitting. For example, one of the names is Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute.... I also don't think I'll be able to fit all of the separate organizations in there. I've done too many things!

Hi Everyone,
Now that the VMCAS deadline has passed, our thoughts turn to the Tufts application. I am thinking that I'll chop up my VMCAS personal statement and use it as the "why should you be one of the 100?" essay. I hope I can fit it all in there. Two of my ELORS have already submitted to Tufts, which is good. Now I have a little time to hound the third one. Does anyone know how soon after the deadline we might start to hear anything? I really love that place and would be thrilled to get in there.

Hi Everyone,
Now that the VMCAS deadline has passed, our thoughts turn to the Tufts application. I am thinking that I'll chop up my VMCAS personal statement and use it as the "why should you be one of the 100?" essay. I hope I can fit it all in there. Two of my ELORS have already submitted to Tufts, which is good. Now I have a little time to hound the third one. Does anyone know how soon after the deadline we might start to hear anything? I really love that place and would be thrilled to get in there.

I applied last year and was notified about my interview either late December or like the first week in January. You might be able to hear earlier than that as well.
I'm struggling a little bit this year because they really liked my two longer essays last year and said they were looking forward to hearing what I come up with for this year. I think my rough drafts are horrible as of right now. =/

Gosh, I wonder why they want you to "come up with" something new this year when they really already liked the ones from last year. That is hard because you are the same person with the same life as you were last year. It's funny how they want to know who we'd have dinner with and things like that. I have to noodle on these questions for a while before I dive in. I am getting tired of writing essays. I'm beginning to feel bored by reading and rereading about my own life experiences. I'm feeling bored with myself and hope that the adcoms don't feel bored (since they'll be reading them for the first time). Good luck with your essays and with hearing something from Tufts sooner than later.

Gosh, I wonder why they want you to "come up with" something new this year when they really already liked the ones from last year. That is hard because you are the same person with the same life as you were last year. It's funny how they want to know who we'd have dinner with and things like that. I have to noodle on these questions for a while before I dive in. I am getting tired of writing essays. I'm beginning to feel bored by reading and rereading about my own life experiences. I'm feeling bored with myself and hope that the adcoms don't feel bored (since they'll be reading them for the first time). Good luck with your essays and with hearing something from Tufts sooner than later.

Seriously. Talk about pressure. It's not like applying is stressful enough to begin with...I guess I could technically resubmit my essays from last year, but since they keep everything, I kind of feel like it's being lazy and would be looked down on. And I'm definitely tired of writing essays as well. I can't bring myself to work on these or the ones for Mizzou lately. Hopefully we both get 2nd winds soon!

Seriously. Talk about pressure. It's not like applying is stressful enough to begin with...I guess I could technically resubmit my essays from last year, but since they keep everything, I kind of feel like it's being lazy and would be looked down on. And I'm definitely tired of writing essays as well. I can't bring myself to work on these or the ones for Mizzou lately. Hopefully we both get 2nd winds soon!

Ooo... Bummer... Best of luck to you!! I'm reapplying from two cycles ago; and am kind of disappointed that they removed 'my' choice essay question from the list. Now I'm kind of stuck telling them who I'd like to have dinner with.. I have a feeling that saying Derek Jeter to find out if he'd care to sweep me off my feet and take me away from all the craziness isn't going to go over very well. :rolleyes:

Ooo... Bummer... Best of luck to you!! I'm reapplying from two cycles ago; and am kind of disappointed that they removed 'my' choice essay question from the list. Now I'm kind of stuck telling them who I'd like to have dinner with.. I have a feeling that saying Derek Jeter to find out if he'd care to sweep me off my feet and take me away from all the craziness isn't going to go over very well. :rolleyes:

Haha. Maybe not but sometimes I wish stuff like that would happen. I refuse to do that option though. I absolutely hate that question for some reason or another, so I'm stuck doing the first option. I feel like my current topic is kind of taboo but I can't think of anything else for it...

Haha. Maybe not but sometimes I wish stuff like that would happen. I refuse to do that option though. I absolutely hate that question for some reason or another, so I'm stuck doing the first option. I feel like my current topic is kind of taboo but I can't think of anything else for it...

Taboo, eh? :thumbup: Exactly why I currently feel I'm stuck with the horror of the dinner party. The way I see it, it's really the only 'safe' option for me given that I would really like to at least get an interview this time around. With any luck I'll be able to rework something; because much like you I have an aversion to question #2. Oi!

I do think the dinner question is the best because, well...at least we're having dinner, which could be nice. I may put in there what I would like to order from the menu. Ha!

What are options 1 and 2? I can't remember them and it won't let me see them since I submitted my application a while back (Tufts is my #1 so I got it done first...). I did #3, the 15 minutes of fame question... I actually really enjoyed writing it.

I do think the dinner question is the best because, well...at least we're having dinner, which could be nice. I may put in there what I would like to order from the menu. Ha!

For some reason they've always really really liked the dinner question. When I went in for my file review, they kept bringing it up over and over... and I thought it was just me thinking that... but I guess if they chopped off the other two essays...

I'm really sad about this too - I really liked the "art form" one from the past two years, and really don't want to write about ANY of the topics this year. Oh well. All my essays will just say, in all-caps 38pt. font, "PLEASE ADMIT ME!" :laugh:

I think the 3 essay choices were:
-the dinner one
-the 15 minutes of fame one
-the "behold the turtle who sticks his neck out" one

The others that we all have to write were, why should you be one of the 100? Tell us any additional information. What is it about Tufts?

I know what you mean. I'm doing a truncated version of my VMCAS personal statement for the one, then I'm doing the "who would you have dinner with" one, and I think I have a few good reasons for "why Tufts". But have I written them yet? No. I just have the essays swirling around in my mind. I've really got to get on this. I do love Tufts and would love to go there, so I don't just want to write any old thing. I want to make it clear to them that I would love to be at Tufts.

The "Why Tufts" essay is pretty much the same one I used last year because that hasn't really changed. I really just wish it was acceptable to use my "what makes me unique" essay from last year for choice A of the other essays. It's totally appropriate but I feel like that's cheating. It would obviously be reworked a bit, but would be fairly similar. As for why I'm unique this year, I have no idea. Gah.

Since the weather report is lousy over the next several days, I may as well stay in and get this essays going. It will feel good to at least start and maybe finish up soon. One of my ELOR writers for Tufts hasn't submitted yet, so I'll have to start hassling her (I hate that part). Happy writing!

I've been trying to work on my Tufts application today, but I guess the server has been down off and on. Sometimes I can log on, and sometimes i can't. It's somewhat frustrating with just a couple of weeks left before the application is due. Is anyone else trying to work on the application today and having trouble getting on?

Yeah, it seems that they worked out whatever was going on sometime late yesterday afternoon. Phew!

If anyone's stuck with their extra essays and wants to see one to get some ideas flowing, I'm happy to send mine along (it's the dinner one), just PM me. It's pretty plagiarism proofed so I don't mind sharing. It's kinda nerdy... but I guess that's pretty fitting for me!

One caveat is that I'll only send it to peeps who have made at least 10 posts! So if you're a newbie, just go on and comment on threads of your choice. We haven't really had too many new regulars so it'd be nice to get some more
smile.gif
. (i'm talking to you, you lurkers!)

I extend a similar offer as Minnerbelle. I don't have a dinner essay (I'd consider writing one though just for the heck of it. I'm weird like that ;)) But I did the Tufts supp essays (loved last year's honestly. Again, creative writer here. ...but anyways...) Same stakes to offer assistance but you need to post. So newbies/lurkers, get cracking.

Thanks guys...I'm done with the dinner one, but now I am wondering about the unique one where I should be one of the 100. Without reading anyone else's, should I just condense my VMCAS personal statement? Or maybe I should write an entirely new essay? What did the two of you do?

Thanks guys...I'm done with the dinner one, but now I am wondering about the unique one where I should be one of the 100. Without reading anyone else's, should I just condense my VMCAS personal statement? Or maybe I should write an entirely new essay? What did the two of you do?

I personally just shortened my VMCAS statement, which actually came out really well. If I remember correctly I just added something along the lines of "so obviously, i'm so f@$&ing awesome that it shouldn't matter if there were only 100 seats or even 10. One of those is MINE" at the end :rolleyes:.

I was told by Tufts admissions that the most successful statements they see for this prompt are the ones that stick to a theme and relates their lives/experiences to it. My VMCAS one was all about euthanasia/shelter medicine and how I've made sense of it through the years, and what I'd like to do with it in the future, so that made it easy to condense. If your VMCAS statement is not amenable to being hacked down a ton, then I'd start from scratch. A bunch of people applying my year wrote a completely different one for Tufts, but because they really loved their VMCAS essays, they tacked it on in the "additional info" section. Not sure what adcoms thought of that, but that was a popular course of action a couple of years ago.

Would anyone like to read my "creative" Tufts essay? Had some awesome inspiration from Minnerbelle's and would love some feedback :D

For Tufts I modified my VMCAS personal statement. I had to take a few paragraphs out to fit in the 500 word unique essay and then put the others in the additional information section. I feel I was able to add more in my Tufts application due to the additional information essay. I submitted my application about a month ago as they said that they would be better able to review my application before the majority of applicants submitted their applications. Not sure if that is true or not.

Good for you Jtom for submitting it so early! I can't seem to do that because I would be thinking of things I should have said or added right up until the deadline. As it is, I will probably submit in about a week after I sit on my essays and tweak them for a few days. I hope that doesn't mean that these later application submissions will not receive the scrupulous review. I am finished with all but the "unique, one of the 100" essay now. I, like you, am abbreviating my VMCAS personal statement after having found other places in the Tufts application to put some of the information that won't fit in the essay. I know that some people heard about interviews quite early last year, so I wonder if you will hear something soon since you submitted so early.

Im hopeful, I know Tufts does interviews in November.

I actually didn't shorten my PS. I just came up with a new essay. :oops: Probably took the extra time route. I ended up submitting my apps pretty much all at the same time as in Tufts with VMCAS just cause I didn't want to look at either of them anymore by that point:laugh: I submitted my PS in the additional info essay section.

As for interviews last year in case anyone wants to know without looking at the threads ;), there were some interviews sent out for their 1-2 Dec. dates by/before Thanksgiving. The rest were sent in sprinkles starting early January for the Feb. dates.

Keep it cool, gang, keep it cool!

I'm really struggling with this historical figure essay. I've selected my person based on the fact that what they were famous for is one of my favorite hobbies. Is the adcom looking for me to spend the whole essay talking about this person, or should I focus more on myself and why I like this particular hobby. Any thoughts?

i'm such a slacker...ever since i finished the VMCAS and submitted it i've been so unmotivated to fill out the tufts app :( i haven't even really filled in anything yet, so of course i haven't even started any essays yet :( starting to panic a little! this is one of the last things i have to turn in , other than my wisconsin supp which i haven't gotten yet...so behind all you guys!

Is anyone else having a nearly impossible time filling out the Tufts online application? It takes fully 5 minutes for each page to load. I'm starting to think the problem is on my end since no one else has mentioned it...

Is anyone else having a nearly impossible time filling out the Tufts online application? It takes fully 5 minutes for each page to load. I'm starting to think the problem is on my end since no one else has mentioned it...

It's loading fine for me, but my application was pretty much filled out to begin with since it saves all the information from when I applied last year, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I hope it's just a temporary problem though cause that would frustrate me to no end.