Tufts c/o 2020 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kam325

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I noticed we don't yet have a page for Tufts applicants this cycle! Anyone else applying? IS/OOS? Areas of interest?

I'm IS and am hoping to participate in the International Vet Med certificate program if I'm accepted. Anyone here have any experience with or insight into the IVM program?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying IS and have a mixed interest of wildlife, large, and small animal medicine. :)

I'm OOS, but Tufts is one of my top choices! I'm interested in small animal mostly, but I've also done quite a bit with exotics and wildlife

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant. The wildlife and conservation medicine signature opportunity makes Tufts one of my top picks.

I'm applying OOS but I heard that Tufts didn't have a IS/OOS preference? Is that true?

Is anyone going to the open house on 9/20? I can't wait to see the school!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying OOS but I heard that Tufts didn't have a IS/OOS preference? Is that true?
Good luck on your apps, y'all! Tufts is an amazing school, and we'd love to see you here. :)

To answer your question, there are usually ~30 IS (vs. ~70 OOS) in a class of ~100, so you definitely have better odds at OOS than most other schools.

Good luck on your apps, y'all! Tufts is an amazing school, and we'd love to see you here. :)

To answer your question, there are usually ~30 IS (vs. ~70 OOS) in a class of ~100, so you definitely have better odds at OOS than most other schools.

This made me feel a bit better! Would it be alright if you can take a look at my credentials/gpa and such and tell me if I'm somewhat close to the other Tuft classes??

@CloudlessNights, were you IS when you applied? I'm not sure whether you would have any idea, but do you know what the typical proportion of IS vs OOS applicants looks like at Tufts? Though I'm sure things will change this year (including total application volume) now that they've joined VMCAS.

I've been before, but I might be taking my pre-veterinary club on a field trip that day if I get enough interest!

Reactions: 1 users
@CloudlessNights, were you IS when you applied? I'm not sure whether you would have any idea, but do you know what the typical proportion of IS vs OOS applicants looks like at Tufts? Though I'm sure things will change this year (including total application volume) now that they've joined VMCAS.
Yep, born and raised in Massachusetts. Unfortunately, I don't know the typical proportion of IS vs OOS applicants.. I'm not sure that they release that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS here! Anyone know the timeline for interview invites and interview dates?
I do live pretty far away so I'm hoping if I get an interview I'll have enough time to make travel plans!

I have applied OOS as well. Really hoping I get an interview!!

Applying OOS! Interested in wildlife conservation medicine and toxicology :) Good luck everyone!!!

I do live pretty far away so I'm hoping if I get an interview I'll have enough time to make travel plans!

I believe there is usually an early interview date for highly ranked OOS applicants sometime in December. Speculation last year was that this got those candidates in before interviews and offers started to pile up from other schools, making it more likely they would accept the interview invite.

After that, there should be a few rounds of interviews in January and February. From last year's thread, it looks like invites go out about 3 weeks before each interview date.

I applied last year and received an interview invite during the first week of January, the majority of the interviews were during the first and second week of February.

I'll be at the open house! I will be in the AVM booth as I was their intern this passed June. Make sure to come by and say hello! :)

Hey everyone, I noticed we don't yet have a page for Tufts applicants this cycle! Anyone else applying? IS/OOS? Areas of interest?

I'm IS and am hoping to participate in the International Vet Med certificate program if I'm accepted. Anyone here have any experience with or insight into the IVM program?

Good luck to everyone applying!

I am looing to apply t the IVM program too! I hope to learn more about this program at their open house on the 20th (tomorrow)!

Does anyone know when tufts will be contacting us for potential interviews? Last time I spoke to Ford he said "I hope to see you in december".... Does that mean interviews for IS students are held in december? Or do we hear back from them about potential interviews in december...?

I'm applying to Tufts as an OOS'er. I visited it and I loved it there. I know three doctors who went to/have worked at Tufts, and if it had not been for them I wouldn't have visited and realized it is one of my top choice schools because of their wildlife clinic, their selectives within their curriculum, and the opportunities you can pursue while at Tufts. I'm a bit worried because I was told by an admissions counselor that my experiences were great, GPA was average-ish but that my GRE scores were basically butt. I guess they're a school that weighs a lot on the GRE. To anyone else who hinted- I was told after my visit that I'd "hopefully be back for an interview"...

I'm applying to Tufts as an OOS'er. I visited it and I loved it there. I know three doctors who went to/have worked at Tufts, and if it had not been for them I wouldn't have visited and realized it is one of my top choice schools because of their wildlife clinic, their selectives within their curriculum, and the opportunities you can pursue while at Tufts. I'm a bit worried because I was told by an admissions counselor that my experiences were great, GPA was average-ish but that my GRE scores were basically butt. I guess they're a school that weighs a lot on the GRE. To anyone else who hinted- I was told after my visit that I'd "hopefully be back for an interview"...
What was your GRE score? I am also a bit uneasy about my GRE scores for this application cycle. Not sure if there is a GRE cutoff score or what they consider a "good" GRE score. I'm retaking the GRE again in October :unsure:

What was your GRE score? I am also a bit uneasy about my GRE scores for this application cycle. Not sure if there is a GRE cutoff score or what they consider a "good" GRE score. I'm retaking the GRE again in October :unsure:
Have you contacted them to ensure you're able to retake the GRE that late? My quant was a 154, verbal 148, and 4.5 writing. I've already begun following a Magoosh study plan in the event that I don't gain admission this application cycle. It really helps to try and learn new words, lol. Also, in their recent class profiles the average quant and verbal are both like 157-159 ish with a 4-4.5 writing I believe.

Have you contacted them to ensure you're able to retake the GRE that late? My quant was a 154, verbal 148, and 4.5 writing. I've already begun following a Magoosh study plan in the event that I don't gain admission this application cycle. It really helps to try and learn new words, lol. Also, in their recent class profiles the average quant and verbal are both like 157-159 ish with a 4-4.5 writing I believe.
My scores are very similar. The rate at which VMCAS is verifying applications, mine should be verified in 3-4 weeks. I am retaking the GRE in mid-October and that is theoretically when my application will be verified and officially sent to Tufts. I really don't want the GRE to hold me back from my dream school, but it is up to them whether they accept the newer GRE scores or not....at least I tried ;)

Last edited:
Understandable. I started using the Magoosh GRE flashcard apps (honestly wish I would've a for a few months before my real GREs) and at this rate I'm setting myself up for a long term GRE study plan in case I don't get in this cycle. Then I'll probably get like perfect scores, lol. I wish you luck though! I got an email about the Tufts application fee, so either everyone is getting that or mine is getting processed.

My scores are very similar. The rate at which VMCAS is verifying applications, mine should be verified in 3-4 weeks. I am retaking the GRE in mid-October and that is theoretically when my application will be verified and officially sent to Tufts. I really don't want the GRE to hold me back from my dream school, but it is up to them whether they accept the newer GRE scores or not....at least I tried ;)
Understandable. I started using the Magoosh GRE flashcard apps (honestly wish I would've a for a few months before my real GREs) and at this rate I'm setting myself up for a long term GRE study plan in case I don't get in this cycle. Then I'll probably get like perfect scores, lol. I wish you luck though! I got an email about the Tufts application fee, so either everyone is getting that or mine is getting processed.

Now I'm super tempted to do what you're doing and take it again before everything is verified :( Ugh.

Check your emails! The Supplemental Fee has been posted to your accounts :)
Just paid mine! And now we wait...

Magoosh is absolutely FANTASTIC. I payed $500 for a class offered through my university which, put simply, sucked balls. That was during Summer '14. I procrastinated, and in May '15 purchased the $99 Magoosh license. That's all I used to study, following their online guides which give you day-by-day planning; didn't use a single official guide or book, only the PowerPrep software to take practice tests.

Magoosh projected my scores to be 152-157 V / 150-155 Q.

I ended up getting 159 V / 160 Q / 4.5 AW.

Magoosh-it, for shizzle.

I'll add my voice to the chorus---absolutely check out Magoosh. You don't even need to use the paid version for it to be helpful. I used the free flashcard app to review vocab in the week leading up to the test and raised my verbal score from 164 V to 170 V without doing any additional prep. The decks (20 decks of 50 cards each for vocabulary) cover the most commonly tested vocab words, and allow you to weed out the words you already know and mark words you have trouble remembering for additional review. I didn't run into a single piece of vocab on the test that I hadn't learned through these flashcards. Find them here: https://gre.magoosh.com/flashcards/vocabulary/decks.

I also went through Magoosh's Quant flashcards to see what I might have forgotten over the years, but I would actually recommend Khan Academy instead when it comes to studying for Quant. ETS has a page mapping the subjects tested to the relevant videos/playlists here: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/khan_academy. You can play the videos 2x speed to go more quickly through the subjects you remember well. They work through tons of example problems to make sure you really get the application down. This is the only Quant review I did (concentrated in the 3 or 4 days before the test, oops) and I stilled managed to score a 161 Q.

I did, however, find that I ran out of time on the second math section and had to make wild guesses for the last 3 questions--so if doing it over again, I think I would definitely have benefited from taking timed practice tests. It sounds like the Magoosh tests @wheelin2vetmed mentioned above are probably a great resource. I know there are free ones out there too (like these from McGraw Hill: http://www.mhpracticeplus.com/gre.php) but I can't speak to their quality.

Last edited:
@Kam325 put my scores to shame. My friend said she studied vocab and nothing showed up on the GRE. I slacked on the Magoosh vocab. That's amazing that the stuff you studied was actually on the test.

@Kam325 put my scores to shame. My friend said she studied vocab and nothing showed up on the GRE. I slacked on the Magoosh vocab. That's amazing that the stuff you studied was actually on the test.

I was definitely really lucky that the more esoteric vocab from my test date matched up so well with what was in the Magoosh app. I even remember coming across a word or two that I had newly memorized the morning of the test! I'm sure it varies substantially by test date though.

Also, @Lilly63, if you use Anki for notecards (I think it's pretty popular, it was widely used in my post-bacc program) I know there are a lot of user-submitted decks you can download that will likely cover a wider range of vocab that might show up on the test. You can search through all the shared decks here (you have to have the Anki application installed to use them, though): https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/gre. I like Anki b/c, like Magoosh, it's adaptive, and you can prioritize cards you have the most trouble with. Tufts seems to be one of the more receptive schools when it comes to updating your application after the due date, so I think there would be at least a good shot that they would be interested in your new scores!

If anyone else did the video essay and wants to trade the private links via PM, I'd love to get to e-meet some of you and see who my potential classmates may be!

Hey Guys!
Good luck with your apps! Im a V19 at tufts and would be happy to try to answer any questions you guys might have. Get excited, vet school is hard but awesome!

Hey Guys!
Good luck with your apps! Im a V19 at tufts and would be happy to try to answer any questions you guys might have. Get excited, vet school is hard but awesome!

Tufts is my dream school! How are the interviews and what questions did they specifically ask you? Also, who did you interview with?

Hey Guys!
Will my GRE scores keep me out of Tufts? 154 Q, 148 V, 4.5 W. 3.4-3.5 GPA, Earned As in a lot of prereqs, LOTS of diverse experience. 21 year old male Pitt student.

Will my GRE scores keep me out of Tufts? 154 Q, 148 V, 4.5 W. 3.4-3.5 GPA, Earned As in a lot of prereqs, LOTS of diverse experience. 21 year old male Pitt student.

Tufts is known to take GRE more seriously than other schools do. I think if every other area is great you have a chance. I can't imagine tufts turning down someone that is great in every area but one. I've always been against Standarized Tests because I don't believe they anticipate future success/failure. I did horrible on my SATs but did wonderful in college. If not already, I hope Tufts keeps this in mind as they review applications. The GRE is only one exam.... compared to 4 successful years of college.....:whistle:

Tufts is known to take GRE more seriously than other schools do. I think if every other area is great you have a chance. I can't imagine tufts turning down someone that is great in every area but one. I've always been against Standarized Tests because I don't believe they anticipate future success/failure. I did horrible on my SATs but did wonderful in college. If not already, I hope Tufts keeps this in mind as they review applications. The GRE is only one exam.... compared to 4 successful years of college.....:whistle:
That's what I'm hoping. I just didn't have time to prep/ friends told me the GRE was easier than I found it to be. I stacked myself with internships and extra currics, and only looked at it as a formality and I visited Tufts and Penn after I took it and they told me they wished my scores were higher :/

That's what I'm hoping. I just didn't have time to prep/ friends told me the GRE was easier than I found it to be. I stacked myself with internships and extra currics, and only looked at it as a formality and I visited Tufts and Penn after I took it and they told me they wished my scores were higher :/

Not everyone is good at standarized testing. There's been research done regarding standardized testing. (But I'm not an expert) anyways do not be discouraged!!! Keep your head up! You will get in! :)

Last edited:
Not everyone is good at standarized testing. There's been research done regarding standardized testing. (But I'm not an expert) anyways do not be discouraged!!! Keep your head up! You will get in! :)
Thank you for the kinds words :)

Tufts is my dream school! How are the interviews and what questions did they specifically ask you? Also, who did you interview with?
the interview was the most chill I had! I was super nervous but they mostly ask you about stuff thats on your application or what kind of medicine you want to go into. No super hard questions. I interviewed with a Dr. Solano and I forget the other person. Everyone at tufts is crazy nice though.

I think tufts looks at the overall picture more than a lot of other schools. They really want to see you are well rounded. I wouldn't give up hope! Especially if you have good grades in your prereqs

I think tufts looks at the overall picture more than a lot of other schools. They really want to see you are well rounded. I wouldn't give up hope! Especially if you have good grades in your prereqs

Ahhh, that's the kind of stuff i love to hear :love:

Ahhh, that's the kind of stuff i love to hear :love:
Same! I have mostly As in the prereqs except for physics! so maybe I'll get noticed for that. GRE was just a pain in my opinion. I'd sooner try foreign vet school than study and take that thing again.

Same! I have mostly As in the prereqs except for physics! so maybe I'll get noticed for that. GRE was just a pain in my opinion. I'd sooner try foreign vet school than study and take that thing again.

Tell me about it! I took it twice. Was the worst exam ever. Never again. Which is why we NEED to get into vet school! which we will...ehemm... I am sure we are well rounded individuals enough to compensate ;)

Tell me about it! I took it twice. Was the worst exam ever. Never again. Which is why we NEED to get into vet school! which we will...ehemm... I am sure we are well rounded individuals enough to compensate ;)
Ugh it's killing me to wait for any interview notifications though :( Let me know if you hear anything from Tufts or any other school you may've applied to.

Ugh it's killing me to wait for any interview notifications though :( Let me know if you hear anything from Tufts or any other school you may've applied to.

I'm dying to hear from tufts because it's my top choice but I don't think we will here anything until novemberish? Hopefully sooner, honestly. But I have two interviews already at LMU and MWU! My LMU interview is on October 6 and MWU on October 21.

I have one at LMU on October 23. When I was at Tufts open house Ford said the earliest we would hear is late November

I have one at LMU on October 23. When I was at Tufts open house Ford said the earliest we would hear is late November

When you scheduled your interview at LMU, did you have 3 option dates? If so what were they?