Tufts Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgerinchina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who applied early decision or just got good news on November 1st... our very own thread. :)

Who am I going to be seeing a lot of for the next four years?

Members don't see this ad.

Sup Badger? Congrats on the acceptance! Have you officially decided to go or still rolling a few possibilities around? I'll go unless I'm really blown away by Case or by some miracle get into Harvard.

For everyone who applied early decision or just got good news on November 1st... our very own thread. :)

Who am I going to be seeing a lot of for the next four years?

Sup Badger? Congrats on the acceptance! Have you officially decided to go or still rolling a few possibilities around? I'll go unless I'm really blown away by Case or by some miracle get into Harvard.

Yeah, it's 99%... the only other school I'd spend the $1200 to fly back and interview with would be Tulane, but I don't have an invite, so it looks like Boston will be my home for the next four years.

Oh, and Thanks!! Congrats to you too... and goodluck at your other interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats guys! have either of you gotten the acceptance packet in the mail?

Oh yeah I'd hold onto that $1200!

Yeah, it's 99%... the only other school I'd spend the $1200 to fly back and interview with would be Tulane, but I don't have an invite, so it looks like Boston will be my home for the next four years.

Oh, and Thanks!! Congrats to you too... and goodluck at your other interviews.

Wow this thread is really blowing up, huh? :cool:

Nothing against the navy or anything.

I have a feeling there might not be a lot more activity until Dec. 1st when the next batch of happy campers log on after their call from the dean.

Wow this thread is really blowing up, huh? :cool:

Hey man I stopped by Tufts today to officially accept my offer and drop off the deposit check. Well, it turns out that the admission packets didn't get mailed until today, and the signed offers must be back by 5 PM on 11/16. This gives most people plenty of time, but since you're in China you may not get the packet for awhile (not sure how quick Chinese mail is) and may risk forfeiting your offer. So be extremely mindful of the timeline if indeed you're having it sent there. Of course it's probably just going to your house in the States...

Nothing against the navy or anything.

I have a feeling there might not be a lot more activity until Dec. 1st when the next batch of happy campers log on after their call from the dean.

Hey man I stopped by Tufts today to officially accept my offer and drop off the deposit check. Well, it turns out that the admission packets didn't get mailed until today, and the signed offers must be back by 5 PM on 11/16. This gives most people plenty of time, but since you're in China you may not get the packet for awhile (not sure how quick Chinese mail is) and may risk forfeiting your offer. So be extremely mindful of the timeline if indeed you're having it sent there. Of course it's probably just going to your house in the States...

I definitely owe you a beer or two when I get to Boston... my parents had planned on just forwarding along the packet and it probably wouldn't have gotten here until late November. All good now though, emailed the admissions office and all I have to do is send in that $100 check and I'm all set.

Thanks again!

Hey I'll take you up on that. Luckily Jacob Wirth's right next to the med school has $6 pitchers. :thumbup:

I definitely owe you a beer or two when I get to Boston... my parents had planned on just forwarding along the packet and it probably wouldn't have gotten here until late November. All good now though, emailed the admissions office and all I have to do is send in that $100 check and I'm all set.

Thanks again!

what up fellas? i heard from Dr. neumeyer on 11/1 and i also got in to tulane...i'm leaning towards tufts big time though..the weather in new orleans (barring any more hurricanes) is way nicer down there compared to new england weather though.

hey does anyone know if tufts uses microscopes or if our labs are microscope free like some schools now are..also, does one need to buy a laptop from tufts or are they not stringent on this factor?

i think tufts uses microscopres. I dont know about the laptop bit though.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey does anyone know if tufts uses microscopes or if our labs are microscope free like some schools now are..also, does one need to buy a laptop from tufts or are they not stringent on this factor?

I seem to remember my guide saying the class of 2009 complained about microscopes and all the histology slides are now available online.

Hi guys! Just wanted to congratulate you on your Tufts acceptance. I'm currently a first year and can definitley say that this school is 100% microscope free. All the slides you need are online.

Also, laptops aren't necessary. A desktop would be fine, although you definitely want an internet connection at home.

I seem to remember my guide saying the class of 2009 complained about microscopes and all the histology slides are now available online.

Hi guys! Just wanted to congratulate you on your Tufts acceptance. I'm currently a first year and can definitley say that this school is 100% microscope free. All the slides you need are online.

Also, laptops aren't necessary. A desktop would be fine, although you definitely want an internet connection at home.

cool! thanks silas.

Congratulations mr burrito!

By the way, anybody have any idea about when we might get more information from Tufts, like second look, more financial aid info, etc?

i'd also be interested to hear about tufts' second look if they have one. also, when do we start filing for financial aid?

Supposedly they're sending out a packet of financial aid forms this week- including the official application form and parental info forms and all the other junk. My understanding was that if you have all of those into their office by the end of January, and have your FAFSA completed as soon as possible in January, you'll be good to go.

i'd also be interested to hear about tufts' second look if they have one. also, when do we start filing for financial aid?

Thought I'd 'officially' say hello everyone! I'll be (almost certainly) at Tufts in the fall...summer, I guess, since I'm in the MD/MBA program. Anyone else anxious to get more info from the school about...anything!?

Thought I'd 'officially' say hello everyone! I'll be (almost certainly) at Tufts in the fall...summer, I guess, since I'm in the MD/MBA program. Anyone else anxious to get more info from the school about...anything!?

congrats dmbdoc! i was accepted to the md/mba program without actually applying to it...i'm trying to figure out:

1) if it's a legit program and not an attempt to get more cash from us
2) if it's gonna be a big distraction from our core classes
3) if it's worth the trouble

what say you?

congrats dmbdoc! i was accepted to the md/mba program without actually applying to it...i'm trying to figure out:

what say you?

Congrats! But, first, you must apply to the program--it's a set of two extra essays on why you want to enter the program and what you plan on doing with the combined degrees...what do you mean by being "accepted without actually applying to it"?

As far as your questions...

1) It is definitely a legit program. Tufts is highly regarded for it's dual degree programs, and the MD/MBA program is one of two four year programs offered in the U.S. Yes, it is more costly, but it is in line with the cost of getting an MBA separately.
2) The program is designed to be well integrated and to minimize interuption to the MD 'core' classes. The majority of MBA coursework is done in the summer prior to M1 and after M1. The only part of the regular MD work that you miss out on are the selectives, which are replaced by business work during the regular year.
3) For me, it's not really 'trouble' to get both degrees...that's simply because I have strong motivations for getting both degrees and integrating them as a doctor through different professional avenues. Simply due to the extra cost and the increased rigor of the program (six years worth of degrees in four), I believe that if you are not strongly passionate about the business/management side of medicine as well that it is likely not worth your time to complete the program.

Badgerinchina...any thoughts to add?

Babaghannough--let me know what you're thinking, and explain what you meant about not applying to the MD/MBA but being accepted--that threw me off.

accepted in early november to the md program...recently accepted to the mph program. will most likely be seeing you all in the fall!

hey does anyone know how many hours of lecture there are at tufts per day? also, how many hours of lab/group meetings..i hope it's not too many cuz i tend to do better when i study alone... also, does tufts have a gym in the medical campus?

why is this thread so dead?? am i the only chatty cathy here?

hey guys, got accepted early december, just found this thread
and it's looking like a good chance i'll wind up in Boston's Chinatown, since it's the only place that had accepted me so far.

Welcome welcome! Good to have ya- stay awhile!

hey guys, got accepted early december, just found this thread
and it's looking like a good chance i'll wind up in Boston's Chinatown, since it's the only place that had accepted me so far.

happy holidays all!

so when do we start filling out financial aid stuff? also, sucks that tufts doesn't have a gym on their boston campus. do people really hang out at the undergrad campus?

happy holidays all!

so when do we start filling out financial aid stuff? also, sucks that tufts doesn't have a gym on their boston campus. do people really hang out at the undergrad campus?

theres a dinky little gym in posner (the dorm), i think. most people use the YMCA across the street.

as for the mba, it's a legit degree. but do it only if you would get the MBA anyway, not just for the alphabet soup at the end of your name. it's a fair bit of extra tuition.

The undergrad campus is pretty far from the med school, and unless you live in that area you'll never see it. I've lived in Boston for 2 years and have only been to Davis Square once or twice. I had noticed a while ago that there were a lot of Tufts Med students always studying in the Barnes and Noble cafe at the Prudential Mall, but aside from that I don't know if there are any other traditional hang-outs. I hope there is a nice sense of community though.

happy holidays all!

The undergrad campus is pretty far from the med school, and unless you live in that area you'll never see it. I've lived in Boston for 2 years and have only been to Davis Square once or twice. I had noticed a while ago that there were a lot of Tufts Med students always studying in the Barnes and Noble cafe at the Prudential Mall, but aside from that I don't know if there are any other traditional hang-outs. I hope there is a nice sense of community though.

ya i hope there's a sense of community as well. how'd you know those people at the prudential were tufts med students?

By trying the "so what are you studying?" line on several med student hotties. Never worked... :(

ya i hope there's a sense of community as well. how'd you know those people at the prudential were tufts med students?

By trying the "so what are you studying?" line on several med student hotties. Never worked... :(

haha! good to know there are hotties at tufts. i hope there isn't too much gender disparity in our class (unless there are more girls than guys of course).

hey guys...i jus made my decision to go to tufts next fall. I read somewhere in this thread that the school was goin to send out finanicial aid forms sometime in december. However i was accepted in early November and all I have received so far are immunization forms. So I figured I should just fill out my fafsa now. I was unsure if I should wait for the school to send me the forms or email the school about the aid forms. I also have not heard anythin from the school about revisiting for a second look. If anyone has heard anything please let me know!

hey guys...i jus made my decision to go to tufts next fall. I read somewhere in this thread that the school was goin to send out finanicial aid forms sometime in december. However i was accepted in early November and all I have received so far are immunization forms. So I figured I should just fill out my fafsa now. I was unsure if I should wait for the school to send me the forms or email the school about the aid forms. I also have not heard anythin from the school about revisiting for a second look. If anyone has heard anything please let me know!

congrats runner girl. all i've received were the immunization forms as well. i guess we can email the office in a couple weeks if we don't hear from them.

Hey there future classmate! Definitely fill out your FAFSA now. I talked to the fin aid office recently and they said they're in the process of uploading the proper forms onto their website. So I'm guessing we'll have em by the end of the month...

2007-2008 forms are now up on the financial aid website!

Howdy everyone,

I am a junior who has been accepted last year to TUSM through a special early assurance program from my college.

First, congratulations and good luck to those who will be attending next year. I just had a couple of questions, of which you upperclassmen might know better. I am 99.9% committed to enroll in Tuft's class of 2012 but also wanted to take the entire summer off before my first year as a medical school student.

Have any of you received notice of when the orientation date would be for incoming first-years? Or would there be any orientation at all? I assume that their classes begin around September like those in colleges but couldn't find any information as to the mandatory events for matriculants before then.

Cheers

what say you?

How did u guys first learn about the acceptance? Phone, email or what?
and how long did it take for Tufts to get back to you after Interview?

Thanks and congrats to everybody... Tufts is a great school.

The dean called me the day after the committee met. I got an e-mail in the next few days as well.

How did u guys first learn about the acceptance? Phone, email or what?
and how long did it take for Tufts to get back to you after Interview?

Thanks and congrats to everybody... Tufts is a great school.

How often do they meet and does anybody know who the voting members of the committee are?

Can't help you with voting members but during the interview day they told us that the adcom meets once a month (last day of each month?) and then from experience, the dean of admissions calls people who get acceptances.

Can somebody post the link to the financial aid forms? You wouldn't believe how sketchy the internet is here in China.

Howdy everyone,

I am a junior who has been accepted last year to TUSM through a special early assurance program from my college.

First, congratulations and good luck to those who will be attending next year. I just had a couple of questions, of which you upperclassmen might know better. I am 99.9% committed to enroll in Tuft's class of 2012 but also wanted to take the entire summer off before my first year as a medical school student.

Have any of you received notice of when the orientation date would be for incoming first-years? Or would there be any orientation at all? I assume that their classes begin around September like those in colleges but couldn't find any information as to the mandatory events for matriculants before then.

Cheers

I was looking at last year's schedule for classes and it indicated that classes begin during the last week of August. I would assume that orientation may be during late July..possibly early August. I could be wrong but I know of some other schools that start in late August and have their orientation early August. I have not receved anything yet regarding orientation for next year's class but will let you know if I hear anything from the school.