Tufts Housing 2009!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dparnes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be attending Tufts this Fall 2005 and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding housing. I am from Miami, FL and I am currently finishing my senior semester at UF. I would love to find some roomates and a good place to live close to campus. This is going to be a huge move for me considering I was born and raised in sunny Florida and have no idea how cold Boston really is. It would be really helpful if I can get some input on how to go about finding roomates and a place to live.

Thanks. See you guys next Fall!! Get pumped!!
Danielle

Members don't see this ad.

It's HORRIBLY cold, unlike anything you could ever imagine. I'm from FL too and it's absolutely impossible to get warm in the sense we think about. COLD COLD COLD!! It's so cold in fact, I had considered waiting a year to apply to UF and NOVA. I'm not doing that but the winter was so bad this year!

With that said, try www.craigslist.com for roommates, etc. You're going to be shocked of how $1,200 gets you a brand new 2 bedroom condo in Gainesville and $2,000 gets you a dirty, old, cold studio/1bedroom in Boston.

Sorry for the negativity, just trying to be honest.

Im going to be entering Tufts next fall aswell. Now granted Im from Maine, so my idea of cold may be a little skewed, but you can survive! If you cant, thats pretty pathetic! But really, its not that bad up here - just lots of snow this year.

Housing in Boston is expensive, but look for something outside of the city itself. Lots of people live in sumerville and areas like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm also gonna be starting Tufts in September. I'm from Toronto so although I should be used to the cold....you NEVER get used to the cold. So i'll be bitching and complaining right alongside you.

I've heard the horror stories about rent and stuff, so keep me in the loop about place to live/roomate situations. The only time I've been to boston was for the interview, so I need to know all he hints and tricks too.

Housing is tough here. I am looking in Sommerville, Cambridge, Jamaica Plain, and Watertown. I live in Cambridge now, and its very expensive. I picked these towns because they have public transportation and they are the most reasonable. Watertown only has bus service, but its an express bus to South station (walking distance to tufts). Start looking early, this is a college town, and the good places go fast. Craigs list is a good resource, but don't be afraid of getting a broker.

Jeff