Tufts Housing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJEMT1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a MS1 at Tufts Med this coming year. I have done some searches regarding housing, but I would like to get current students' opinions.

I have some questions about Posner Hall: How much does the rent come out to be per month? Is it true that the neighborhood is not safe at night and there are prostitutes behind the building? Are their decent places to eat nearby? How's the kitchen? (I hear it's a mess) How is the phone and computer access/hookups? What months of the year are you able to live there? What else can you tell me about Posner? Do you recommend Posner or living off campus?

If I choose to live off campus, what neighborhoods have the most Tufts Med students? Would you pick Somerville over Brookline or vice versa?

Thanks!!!

Lauren

Members don't see this ad.

I will also be coming to TUSM this fall, and would definitely like to hear some opinions about neighborhoods, etc... Also, I am planning to move to Boston in the beginning of the summer (around June 15th or so), and as the housing office won't open until the end of May, I am trying to find some other Tufts med students who might be in a similar situation. If you looking for a roommate (I don't want to live in the dorms), please feel free to contact me -(I am 25, female, non-smoker) :)

Hey Raralista thanks for your post...right now I don't think I would be looking for a place until Aug. 1st, but if anyone is looking for then or after please let me know!! And if anyone can answer my questions I would appreciate that very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Tufts 4th year. Although I never lived in posner I can tell you about it.
The dorms are like crappy freshman dorms. There is one kitchen per floor which is kind of messy because 20+ people use it. It has tile floors, fluorescent lights,etc. Rent is 550. This is very good for Boston, but the conditions are pretty crappy. The neighborhood isn't that bad. In my 4 years no students have been mugged, robbed, etc. You are in Chinatown however so you will see prostitutes and crack dealers chillin' on Friday and Saturday night. They will leave you alone. The theatre district and many night clubs are also in this area so the middle to upper class folks outnumber the sketchy people 10:1.(Ironically most of the crack dealer's customers are middle to upper class people, which I found disturbing). My only experience with a crack dealer is when he offerred to smoke a joint with me on a Friday night. During the day, it is fine. The financial district is nearby and you mainly see yuppies and hospital employees walking around.

The price is good, but if you could find a 3BR w/ roommates you could pay 600-700 month, you would be in a nicer apartment and you would have more privacy, and autonomy. Most people I know who lived in posner their first year couldn't wait to get out and find an apartment. All the incoming Tufts 1st years on this board should become roommates and find an apartment together.

Good luck with everything guys! It seems like yesterday I was in your shoes.

how do i send you message when you turned the private message off.

Sorry, Yu-gi-oh, I didn't realize it was off. It is on now.