Tufts interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellokitty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give me some details of the interview day, since interviewfeedback.com is down? How long are each individual interview?

I already did a search on SDN - alot of posts but not much about the interviews.

Thanks, any help is appreciated. :)

To those who are still waiting for interviews, I received my invitation yesterday. :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity: Did you get your invitation by email or snail mail? When was your application complete? I'm still waiting to hear about an interview...Thanks.

The interview day at Tufts is structured differently than any of the other schools I had been at. I heard a lot of complaining about it, but to tell the truth it isn't that bad. Basically, you meet in the lobby of the Stackler Building--Careful, there are really TWO Stacklers, one for Biomedical Sciences or something like that, and another, much bigger one across the street--the bigger one is the one you want. Anyway, you wait in the lobby until they come and get you and bring you to a huge conference room. There were 40-50 interviewees on my day, but this may vary. They serve a really nice breakfast (with coffee, which was most needed)and then the day begins with several speeches by the dean, the director of admissions, and so on. These speeches are not the usual blah, blah, blah you get at other schools, they tell interesting stories, let you know their philosophy about interviews, and stress that the interviews should truly be non-stressfull. In fact, the dean says that if any interviewee feels uncomfortable with a question he/she was asked or even with the interviewer, to tell him right away. They give a financial aid talk which was, again, really helpful, enlightening, and upfront. The only part of the day that dragged a little bit was the part about the dual degree programs, mostly because I am not appling to them. After the three dual degree talks, we had lunch, there in the confrence room, and then the interviews started.
Here is where it differed from other schools. You were randomply assigned an interviewer who same into the room, was given your file and a few minutes to review it, and then calls out your name and takes you to another location for the interveiw. The drawback to this was that people who didnt have interviews right away were left waiting around, but its no big deal, in fact it was kind of nice to have a chance to talk to the other interviewees.
As for the interview themselves, they are pretty short, 20-30 minutes, and straightforward, conversational, and stress-free. Nothing that tricky, nothing confrontational. Of course, every interviewer is different, but noone I spoke to had a bad experience.
After your interviews are done, you are given the option of going on a tour.

Tips: If you are looking for a hotel, stay at the doubletree--its brand new, really nice, right across the street from the school, and they even give you a warm cookie when you check in! Also, make sure you have the map with you that came with your invitation. It can be a little difficult to find the right building.

Hope this helps!

CJT

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview day at Tufts can be long, but at least there are a lot of other interviewees there to talk to. We listened to many presentations on combined degrees and curriculum talks, had lunch, and then they randomly assign you to two interviewers on the spot. So you basically just sit and wait and then at any time an interviewer will call your name and you'll have a 15-30 minute interview. I had the dean as one of my interviewers and I think he likes to be quick so the interview was over before I knew it. Question to watch out for: What will you say to the other interviewees when you walk out about how your interview went?

Right on. Hey Kitty--when are you going to be there? I'm there on the 16th. Any other SDNer's I should watch out for?

Also thanks for the great info cjt and dr. L.

Thanks, cjt and dr.l. :)

panda-I haven't scheduled it yet. Trouble getting through their phone line, have to call them again on monday. Good luck! :)

jonquille- my file was complete in early december. I received the invitation by snail mail.

If anyone else wants to share their experience, I would love it.

i'll be there on the 16th too. does anybody know at this point if they've filled the class? meaning, are they only filling the wait-list now?
thanks.

Dr. Quack -- I'm pretty sure they'll be accepting people who interview in April outright. I had the same concern, so I asked the guy at the admiss office, and he said all the April interviewees will be decided on at the committee meeting the first week of May (so it really doesn't matter when in May you interview) and also that they specifically save spots in the class for April interviewees, under the reasoning they'll get good people. Hope that helps, see you on the 16th!

I'll be there on the 16th too..finally got a hold of them..that 8-12 phone line thing makes it hard to get a hold of them..
but hopefully we are interviewing for a spot in the class and not on the waitlist!