Tufts or Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kudo713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help rationalizing my decision... here is my rationale thus far

Tufts
+ Builds the board exams into their curriculum
+ 1hr review course for the boards from a faculty member
+ I had a good feeling about the school during my interview
+ Externship (or are they a pain in the butt?)
+ A prosthodontist who I worked for highly recommends Tufts
- Large class size
- Roation schedule for clinic (does anyone know how well this schedule works?)
- Housing (I prefer to have my own room, but its probably way too expensive)
-$60,000 more expensive (total over the four years)

Pitt
+ Certificate in anesthesiology
+ Smaller class size
+ Gym
+ A friend who graduated from UB Dental recommends Pitt over Tufts
- Take the board exam on your own time
- Chare your clinic chair with a 3rd/4th year student
- I hear it is difficult to have returning patients (school charges too much)
- Students seemed unhappier (my interview was during an exam block...)

What have you heard (positive or negative) about Tufts and/or Pitt?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
I think that both schools are great. At my interview at Tufts, everything was great. However, you are right in the aspect that Boston is a lot more expensive than Pittsburg, so transportation and housing could be a little difficult. From other students at my school said that Pittsburg has a great clinical setting.

In opinion, just go with the cheaper school. I think you will be able to adapt in both environments well so don't overwhelm yourself with more debt than you have to. The less debt you have, the sooner you can enjoy life after dental school

It looks like your Pro's for Tufts are more substantive than your Pro's for Pitt. You're going to be spending so much money anyway, go where you feel you have the best feeling for the school, since you're going to be living there for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Money is an issue, but Vicviper is right. The need for dentists is going to increase once the baby-boomers retire. You're not going to have trouble paying off those loans especially with Tuft's massive alumni base.

Tufts
- Large class size

Pitt
+ Smaller class size
+ Gym

Thanks!

I'm sort of in the same situation, but I chose Tufts over Pitt instantly. I think it all depends on how you felt during the interview. Both admissions committees were great, I think thats why its so hard to choose. But although I'll be spending WAY MORE money on Tufts, I think its worth it. Boston is such a better city (when it comes to things to do), and Tufts lays out all their stats in front of you, and actually changes their cirriculum to give the students a better educational experience. Starting in janurary, it will have 5 additional floors and the students seemed more professional, yet approachable.
So far everyone I know says choose Tufts over Pitt. Tufts is well known to the honor kids, and its a good all around school. The associate dean of the school is also awesome.
What did you end up choosing?

I would say Tufts is definitely the stronger school across the board. Didactics, research, clinical exposure, staff, resources, etc. But then again, Pitt is a bit cheaper of course. I chose Tufts over Pitt, but its up to you.

I would definitely pick Pitt. I went to Pitt for undergrad and know many of the Pitt dental students and they are all very happy there. The Pitt faculty really cares about their students which I think is very important. I sent thank you emails to the adcoms at all of the schools I interviewed at and the Pitt people were the only ones to respond to those emails and say they were happy I came, etc. Not that that means all that much, but that showed that they cared if they went out of their way to do that unlike any of the other schools.
Pitt also has a variety of different clinics. They are one of only like 4 dental schools to have an anesthesia program like you mentioned. Also, they are the only school that I saw out of the many that I interviewed at to have its own brand new special needs clinic. I don't know if you are interested in any certain area of dentistry, but many dentist are not willing to accommodate for special needs patients or don't have the training to do so, so that was something that I liked. Also, all Pitt dental students will place and/or restore an implant before graduating. They have a beautiful sim clinic as you probably saw. Pittsburgh is also a reasonable city to live in cost-wise.
Obviously it depends on what you are looking for in a school, but those are some of the things about Pitt that really stood out to me.
I had a very hard time making a choice between Pitt and UCLA because I loved both schools and I felt they were very comparable but I ended up picking UCLA for the experience of living somewhere new because I am from Pittsburgh and went to undergrad at Pitt. However, I would definitely highly recommend Pitt's program.
Good luck with your decision! Just pick where you think you will be the happiest!

--

Last edited:

Tufts
- Large class size

Pitt
+ Smaller class size
+ Gym

Thanks!
What does the certificate in anesthesiology include? Can you administrate general anesthia?

Can anyone tell me about how hard to get residency as an out-of-state student at Tufts?

Can anyone tell me about how hard to get residency as an out-of-state student at Tufts?

you can't.. :( Tufts is a private university so everyone basically pays the same amount, regardless of which state your from.

What does the certificate in anesthesiology include? Can you administrate general anesthia?
General anesthesia is a HUGE liability. I can't realistically see any dental school wanting to teach this. Perhaps this applies to nitrous?

General anesthesia is a HUGE liability. I can't realistically see any dental school wanting to teach this. Perhaps this applies to nitrous?

Exactly, I'm curious what this certification entails. I know there's a one year residency after dental school...

you can't.. :( Tufts is a private university so everyone basically pays the same amount, regardless of which state your from.

so you meant everybody will be guaranteed for residency?