Tufts or Purdue? small animals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louranana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted by Tufts and Purdue. I am soooo excited that I can be the lucky one. But I have to make a choice on the two schools which I both like. I am very interested in small animals. Anyone know which school is better in educating students practising small animals??

Thanks a lot!!:D

Good luck to those still waiting!!:luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

All schools go over small animals pretty darn well. I think you'd be better off choosing based on cost, convenience, or location. You'll get lost of SA experience anywhere - everyone has cats and dogs!

I second what twelvetigers said. All schools have a relative base of small animal experience. I can't speak for Tufts, but I wouldn't say Purdue is known for any specific field. It is the midwest though, so you always have that farm animal feeling lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your options! I had this decision a few years ago. I agree that location and money will need to be factors. The curriculum as far as the mix between lecture and PBL seem to be very similar. Both schools had a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere. One thing that might be a factor for you is that (I believe) Purdue has terminal surgeries, while Tufts does not.

Good luck with your decision. You might want to check out the factors in picking a school thread.

I met tons of purdue vet students through the 4-H program fairs and such. So would say it is really out in the community.

Tufts has Dodman and is great for pet behavior. Not sure if Purdue's human-animal bond is as good. I know purdue has some interesting oncology and paralysis research going on.

Not very helpful.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS THREAD!!! i am in the same predicament, and have been agonizing over it like crazy. i have some pros/cons that ive been tracking from previous threads, and will post them soon!

IF you want to do emergency medicine, Tufts is the way to go... as for small animal practice, i think either school would prepare you well...

here is what i came up with for pros/cons (and other threads have more about tufts):

PURDUE:
Pros:
- from the banquet, it sounded like it was fairly easy to do study abroad/international programs (over the summer etc.)
- i THINK the class size might be smaller than tufts? don't quote me on that..
- small animal hospital seemed to be really nice
- opportunity to get a business certification (i can't remember the name, but only three vet schools have it)
- estimated costs are cheaper
- you can hang out at the small animal hospital whenever you want, but go w/a resident or become friends w/someone so they can show you what's going on
- integrated with the rest of campus
- tests sounded better, i was a little confused but it sounded like they were oral exams and not as frequent

Cons:
- schedule is rough, straight 7:30 - 3 or 4 M-F
- don't have time for a job/no job opportunities in the vet school for a little extra pocket cash
- no wildlife clinic

TUFTS:
Pros:
- donor cadaver program
- (or con? up to you) no tracking
- great wildlife clinic
- faculty is great, really wants to help you (probably true anywhere, but this has been emphasized to me a lot at tufts)
- number 1 or number 2 in the country for highest number of interns
- hands on experience very early on
- free gym

cons:
- international programs are harder to come by, doesn't seem as convenient (and you pay for it yourself) than purdue
- in state lost their stipend
- isolated in north grafton
- tests every week

Both (Pros):
- integrated curriculum
- A n I sounds like PBL, so a mix of lectures/PBL
- location (i like the midwest, but i know others like the east coast and being near boston)

- add on please! these are just a few of my observations...

here is what i came up with for pros/cons (and other threads have more about tufts):

PURDUE:
Pros:
- tests sounded better, i was a little confused but it sounded like they were oral exams and not as frequent

Is that true? How would oral exams work? How often are there exams?

Thanks prevet09 for the list!

Thanks a lot for the information!!!!

I think the biggest problem for Tufts is its location... It is tooo isolated, far away from other campus. If I choose Purdue, I can take some courses offered by other department, and meet students from other majors~~ And the housing around Tufts vet school seems too far for me(I cannot drive...) But the animal behavior research sounds attractive~~:rolleyes:

I have some friends doing exchange program in Purdue, and they said the course work is very heavy... They have homework after every classs, and a lot of exams... In my university, most courses only have 1 midterm and 1 final~~

I am very interested in research~~ Some people said that Tufts has some problem on getting research fundings... Is that true?

It seems like Tufts would be a stronger option for research since they also have medical and dental schools (on separate campuses of course). They have problems getting funding? I've never heard that. I didn't get the impression that Purdue was a research heavy school, but I could be wrong.

They are definitely two very different schools though.

Try contacting current students. They will have the inside scoop on the research front of it. I think that if you actively go out and search for a research project or mentor, you can find it at any vet school. Is there a specific topic you are interested in doing reasearch on? if so, check out the faculty at each school and see if any of them kind of have a similar interest or project going on, and then contact them on possibilities of students helping out.

As for the international opportunities at Tufts, I would disagree with the fact that it was previously stated they are hard to come by. Tufts has one of the best (if not the best) international programs in the country, and yes, in some cases you may have to pay for it yourself, but there are A LOT of opportunities presented to the students right from the start of their vet school career. But i don't know much about purdue's international opportunities, so comparitively i have no idea where the two stand against each other.

Good luck deciding!

Also, while Purdue said there is funding available for international experiences, I am pretty sure that only small portions of the overall expenses are actually covered. Essentially, there are always grants available but they are $1000 here or there but nowhere near to the whole cost of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh~~ Thanks a lot for all your precious advice!!!:):):)
It seems that Tufts is a better choice for me~~
I am very interested in the research about animal behavior~~I know Purdue only have 1 or 2 professors working in that area, but I have not check out Tufts yet~ I should start after my midterms...

Another thing I consider is the housing around Tufts... there is only 1 on-campus housing with 4 rooms in it, so it is impossible for me to get on-campus housing... The other housing near Tufts does not seems to be within walking distance. I don't have a driving lisence, and it is impossible for someone who plan to get loans for tuition to have a car... I am just wondering if there is any housing along other train stations near Grafton, and I can come to school by train.

Ya the train station was just a few minute walk from campus. I am sure you can find housing along the train line, just depends how far a ride you will have. I can't help you there, but current students should be able to. You will be dependent on the train schedule though.

I think it would be very difficult to not have a car while at Tufts. You would have to make sure that you not only live on the commuter train line, but within walking distance of all amenities that you would need - grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Just something to think about.

I think it would be very difficult to not have a car while at Tufts. You would have to make sure that you not only live on the commuter train line, but within walking distance of all amenities that you would need - grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Just something to think about.

:(:(That's my biggest concern now... Purdue seems much more convenient...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS THREAD!!! i am in the same predicament, and have been agonizing over it like crazy. i have some pros/cons that ive been tracking from previous threads, and will post them soon!

Hi, Prevet09~ Have you decided which one yet?

Thanks for all information!!!!:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

I am also considering the research opportunities. Which school have more research opportunities in the area of animal behavior or infectious disease? And can get more research assistantship?

And how about financial aid? which school give more institution financial aid?

nooooo i haven't decided :confused: its driving me crazy. right now i'm leaning towards tufts, and i'm going to visit on friday for that reception, hoping that'll make me love the school or think that purdue is better. purdue is closer to my bf (within driving distance) and has a smaller class size and is probably cheaper ==> my three biggest things right now.

so i'm thinking the finaid package and this visit to tufts will weigh heavily in my decision.. i REALLY hope the finaid package makes a clear choice!! and hey. if we both go there i'll have a car so i can give you rides every now and then! :)

The only advice I can give to you guys is to follow your heart (cheesy I know....). I think deep down you both probably know which school you like better and I know you will both make the right decision no matter what school you decide since they are both great schools!

Good luck girls! :)

Last edited:
but my heart's confuzzled... :scared: thanks though bunnyslippers :)

nooooo i haven't decided :confused: its driving me crazy. right now i'm leaning towards tufts, and i'm going to visit on friday for that reception, hoping that'll make me love the school or think that purdue is better. purdue is closer to my bf (within driving distance) and has a smaller class size and is probably cheaper ==> my three biggest things right now.

so i'm thinking the finaid package and this visit to tufts will weigh heavily in my decision.. i REALLY hope the finaid package makes a clear choice!! and hey. if we both go there i'll have a car so i can give you rides every now and then! :)

Thank you prevet09!!:biglove::biglove:
Purdue is also closer to my bf~~ He may go to Michigan for master's program... It is cheaper, more convenient, and have more students on campus~ I think there are more opportunities to get part-time job... I heard some students get up early everyday to feed the cattle and let them listen to music~~:laugh::laugh: That's an interesting job~~
I think I will probably go to Purdue~~But I haven't decided yet, and my package is still on the way...:oops:
Hope you can make your decision soon~~ and get a lot of financial aid~~~:love:

The only advice I can give to you guys is to follow your heart (cheesy I know....). I think deep down you both probably know which school you like better and I know you will both make the right decision no matter what school you decide since they are both great schools!

Good luck girls! :)

Thanks bunnyslippers~ You are right~ my heart made a choice a long time ago... maybe I just want to use rational comparison to see if my heart's choice is right~~ I am not determined enough...
Hope to see you there~:D:D