Tufts or Reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenal2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I've still been a beneficiary of all your great advice so far. So I know it's still early in the cycle, but I'm waitlisted at my state school which has a notorious reputation of few (if any) people being accepted off it. My other option is Tufts, which I really liked, but I am completely put off by the cost.

I have looked into the IHS and NHSC loan repayment plans, but those offer you a max of $50,000 for two years of service. Given the the $400-600K total cost of attending Tufts (with loan interest), this just scratches the surface of the overall debt. I've considered the NHSC scholarship as well, but even assuming I get it given its high level of competitiveness, you can kiss your specialty dreams goodbye with that. And due to cultural reasons, I am not interested in the military HPSP.

So my question is this: should I reapply next year for my state school if my only option at the end of the cycle is Tufts? In the end, my #1 goal is the "go wherever is cheapest" rule, like many of you follow. I appreciate all of your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Think about the income you would loose by missing a year! Besides, there's no guarantee that you'll get accepted next cycle. My advice is to take Tufts and don't look back.

You got into a school that isn't lecom howard or meharry. Be happy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$600,000 seems to be a bit high, is that figure right? How did you figure that?

Assuming it is $600,000 as you say, with interest you'll be looking at six or seven years of paying back 100% of your GROSS earnings towards the debt. Waiting one year to go to a cheaper school could mean the difference between 6-7 years of income or 2-4 years. In other words, you are looking at the difference between a 15-20 year loan and a 10 year loan.

I would say go to Tufts. I wouldn't look back. Applicant pools are different every cycle, and you may not get in again next cycle.
Do it now.

What predentalgirl says is true. There's no guarantee that you will get in next cycle. But, your chances should only increase IF you take advantage of the year to boost your application with volunteering hours, leadership experience, research, shadowing, dental exposure, and things which make you unique.

Arsenal,

I'm glad you have taken your finances into consideration.

I think it would be wise for every pre-dent to set a theoretical loan limit before going to dental school. If you have to go to a school that is above your limit, then don't go.

My limit was 250k and I got into my state school which made that a reality. However, I still went with a military scholarship because it gives me peace of mind knowing that I do not have to pay off a student loan until my baby is old enough to go to college.

If every pre-dent set a realistic limit then the dental profession would be a lot better off. Expensive private schools would be forced to either lower tuition or close because they would not be able to fill their classes. Out of state tuition would have to go down for the same reason. This would be beneficial because: 1. Dentists would not have unbearable loads of debt and 2. Greedy private schools would close and the profession would become less over saturated.

I come from a family of dentists and have a good perspective of the profession. In my opinion, dental school is not worth a penny more than 250k. If I were you, I would spend the next year making my application so good that my state school could not turn me down. Then reapply. That's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

So why exactly did you apply to Tufts and attend their interview if you are put off by the cost?

Reactions: 1 user
That is my precise reason why I didn't apply to NYU or USC. Not that I am accepted anywhere yet, but even if I did, I would be as stressed as I am now or more stressed about $$ as I am currently married.

So why exactly did you apply to Tufts and attend their interview if you are put off by the cost?

I actually think this might be a case of pre-dent ignorance (not in an offensive way). I suffered from the same thing. I applied to my state school (which was my top by miles) but I also applied to 8 other schools, most of which were private. I knew about the astronomical costs of dental school, but I wasn't aware of how the costs would affect me in the future. I thought, "As long as I get in somewhere, I'll definitely go". After I attended a private school interview, I saw their cost - over $400,000 for four years, taking in the inevitable rise of tuition. When I saw that $400,000 could cripple me for 10+ years financially, I was very turned off by going to any school other than my state school. I thought of the worst case scenario, if I wasn't accepted to any other school, other than a private school, I'd definitely consider reapplying.

This might just be me and not related to the OP at all... but I thought I should chime in, for what it's worth.

Reactions: 2 users
It really comes down to what are you willing to pay to become a dentist? And because of many reasons it's not nearly as profitable to be a dentist as it once was. And if you're in it for the money then either go to a state school or find another profession.

I'd still wager that a dentist with $300,000-$400,000 in student loan debt still has the ability to out-earn most middle-income wage earners in the US by a significant margin.

LOL your LECOM-Howard-Meharry hate is quite amusing haha

To OP, please do yourself a huge favour, and accept Tufts. The cost is daunting I know, but it's better than the same cost with a year lost (assuming worst case scenario)

IMO accept tufts. As long as you didn't hate the school then go!

I'm pretty sure anyone accepted to dental school would be grateful. I know a guy who is going to be paying 80k a year to go to dental school and he is thrilled he got in. I also fail to see the problem with going to those schools? They are accredited and they produce licensed dentists.

I'm pretty sure anyone accepted to dental school would be grateful. I know a guy who is going to be paying 80k a year to go to dental school and he is thrilled he got in. I also fail to see the problem with going to those schools? They are accredited and they produce licensed dentists.

You're right….all three are first class dental schools and at the top of every predent's wish list.

You're right….all three are first class dental schools and at the top of every predent's wish list.

Of course I'm right. If I was a minority I'd love to go to meharry or Howard. And I'd go to lecom if it was the only school that accepted me.

You can't put a price tag on education. Yeah everyone complains about high tuition and yes you should go to the cheapest school if you have options. But if you truly want to be a dentist then the cost of Tufts or any other private school should not turn you away from your dream.... But go ahead and reapply to "maybe" get into your state school. it's not like you're turning heads or anything especially only 2 interviews. There's no guarantee you'll get in next year. It's your choice.

Last edited:
Of course I'm right. If I was a minority I'd love to go to meharry or Howard. And I'd go to lecom if it was the only school that accepted me.

Definitely fits the criteria of being on top of every present's wish list.

I don't understand you. Why did you apply in the first place if you didn't want to attend tufts. Anyway, If I were you, I would attend tufts without hesitation.

I would chose tufts...it's too risky waiting another year...if you only made tufts this year u will most likely only make tufts, BU, USC or NYU (another expensive private school or OOS expensive schools) or like someone else suggested improve your application and communicate with your state school..but that will also likely cost you money so I would just go to tufts.