Hey guys I'm an MBS second year. I figured I'd respond to this thread with less than rose colored glasses. I'm a bit jaded after doing this program. From the people I know this year who applied to medical school, a bigger number than expected haven't gotten in anywhere from what I've been hearing this year. Basically even if you do the Tufts MBS and do well in the classes it's not guaranteed that you'll score an MD acceptance.
Boston_med is lucky that he got interviewed and got in. I had a high SMP GPA (not terrible college GPA) and was interviewed and waitlisted. That was lucky for me too because I still have a chance. Some people didn't get interviews at all.
I talked to the head of the MBS program through this year and he was telling me that Tufts was behind on MBS interviews, but they never "caught up" which means that they interviewed less MBSers than they have in years past.
I guess I'm a bit disappointed that I know people who did well in the program and they didn't get what they wanted out of it.
Did anyone feel like the tufts MBS was a waste of time and they instead would have gone to a DO school or a smaller school?
Yes. If you score a DO acceptance then take it and run. Why would you turn down a sure way to become a doctor and pay extra money to do an audition program that may or may not get you into medical school? Don't do that. A US medical school acceptance is 10000000x better than any "maybe I could get in there".
If I had gotten into a DO school when I applied the first time I wouldn't have done this program and I don't think it's worth it to turn down a DO acceptance for this. You're never guaranteed to get into any medical school again so if you got accepted just go and be a doctor.
And for those of you who didn't get into an Md after completing the program or didn't receive a significant increase in interview invitations, was the program at least worth it in terms of prepping you wel? Did you feel like the preparation you received from the program was worth it?
I don't think I received a significant increase in interview invitations. I'm sitting on waitlists and I have extra loans from this program.
I mean if I get into medical school I guess the program will have prepped me well, but if it hasn't significantly increased my chances of getting into medical school then I feel like the program isn't worth it. Why would it be? If you don't get into a medical school the program is pretty worthless.
I'm just hoping to get in off of a waitlist and I have to say I'm not impressed with the difference in my application before and after the program at this point. That's not to say that the program is bad. It just hasn't turned out the way I expected it to.
I'd personally go with Tufts over a less established program. Tufts offers the Sharewood clinic for some real hands on clinical patient care year round.
Yes, but MBS students generally aren't invited to Sharewood until around November in the first year and just because Sharewood is offered year round doesn't mean that you can't show up every week and still go weeks without seeing a patient. It depends on how many medical students and how many patients and how many volunteers there are.
In my experience, Sharewood can look good on an app but there are many more weeks where I'm just sitting around socializing to get the hours of being there because too many people came to volunteer than I expected.