Tufts vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qtlilkitty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got accepted to USC and Tufts this week. I'm very excited but now its' time to choose. I heard that Tufts is a better school and I like the fact that it's not PBL...but I'm a Californian and I think that I may want to stay in California after I graduate. Do you guys know if my career would be seriously affected if I attend Tufts but come back to California after I graduate? Thanx in advance!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get in off the tufts waitlist this week? If so, how did they notify you? And for selfish reasons, I'm going to tell you to go to USC :)

Tufts. Its a great school and an impressive facility. The east coast could be an incredible experience and worthwhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha...yeah, they called me today on my cell and left me a msg. it was very unexpected cuz i totally gave up already.

oh, so do you guys think that going to tufts would be a disadvantage should i decide to come back to california? Thanks:laugh:

oh, so do you guys think that going to tufts would be a disadvantage should i decide to come back to california? Thanks:laugh:

instead of asking a brunch of predents who do not know why dont you call up tufts now that you have been accepted and ask to talk to a faculty member who can answer your questions about practicing in california after graduating from tufts? I guarantee the information you will get will be 1000000 times better than this forum.

tuft has a better reputation, but it's very cold in boston....Hard choice. if all else fails....PICK the cheaper one!;)

I'm accepted at USC and waitlisted at Tufts and am hoping to have this dilemna as well. I would probably take tufts over USC simply to avoid PBL, and slightly lower cost of living. Tuition is less at Tufts also but still expensive. I loved boston but then USC is in LA... great weather, beach, etc for 4 yrs. Also I'm moving my wife with me so her input has alot to do with it as well. I have heard that networking for Californians is great with USC and that would obviously not be the case with tufts, but then you also have board pass rate issues and what not at USC. give a little take a little, you cant go wrong either way.

when you call Tufts ask them the percentage of students that failed/passed part 2 this year that will aid in your decision.

Its the end of my 3rd year in dental school at SC. I was a non-science major coming in so of course I was very worried about boards since you don't learn anything in PBL. Studying for boards was very frustrating b/c we never learned biochem, histology, etc. So I would just sit there trying to read a biochem book but after the 4th chapter it made no sense to me. I was soooo frustrated. I didn't want to specialize so it made things a little better. But I still wish that I had a chance to do better if I had the correct foundation that should have been provided by SC. After I got my results I did better than I thought and somehow biochem was my highest score. I have no idea how that happened. Point is if you want to do exceptional on your boards this is not the school for you, b/c you have no way of really competing with the nation when your school doesn't teach you anything.

Moving on to the clinic.. I have basically been on the clinic floor for the past year. When I was studying for boards I thought that was the worst, but I really had no idea what was coming to me. There is no sense of professionalism at this school. If your a girl and happen to be sleeping with the faculty then you will most likely graduate on time. But for the rest you are faced with sexually charged comments from old nasty dentists whom you must just sit and listen to b/c you are trying to graduate too. And if you want to complain then good luck who do you complain to? Nothing gets accomplished, and you will be blacklisted b/c all of the faculty somehow end up knowing whats going on b/c they are constantly chatting about specific students when they really should be "teaching".

Besides that the main problem that every pre-dental student should ask dental schools that they are interviewing at is "WHAT IS YOUR GRADUATION RATE?" the second most important question is what are your board scores? (keep in mind that board scores are not solely based on the school, there are people in our class that did particularly well, I think one person got a 98) But graduation rate is completely out of your hand. Only 36% of the 2007 class is graduating on time. There are multiple reasons why this is true. Too many to explain here but I will mention a few.
1. Not enough faculty coverage for the number of students that are permitted to be on the clinic floor
2. The majority of the faculty that is on the clinic floor does not have the authority to sign off on fixed work so you end up prepping a crown with one faculty in one appt take a final impression on your 2nd appt and then send the lab work out. Then you spend a day or two trying to track one of the five faculty who do have the authority to sign it off only to have them tell you that there needs to be adjustments made. Then you bring the patient back but unfortunately the faculty who can sign off is rarely ever teaching on the clinic floor. Do this 5 + times until your patient gets completely fed up and doesn’t want to come back.
3. So many requirements: 30 fixed (crowns), 9 removable arches, etc..
4. Soo many comp exams on live patients who must qualify for these exams. The faculty grading are nearly impossible to pass, and it is soooo hard to find pt’s that qualify. Every day we are bombarded by seniors emailing us looking for compable crowns. They are more like begging us for these crowns.
5. Again not enough faculty to sit your patient down and do the work
6. Last week attempted to take a final impression of a crown. RDA left early (the person who takes the impressions). Tried to get the material needed from the dispensary but guess what they were all out. Brought patient back tonight only to beg every single faculty on the clinic floor to please cover me. I explained that I don’t need there assistance I have everything signed off. I just want to get a final impression. But after one hour of running around that didn’t happen. Had to send my pt. home. Apparently, 2 faculty just decided to cancel their night chairs, and of course nobody bothers to tell the poor dental students!!

Anyways, there are soooo many other reasons why this school is absolutely the most chaotic, bull****, school. We don’t even become great clinicians b/c we spend at least over 60% of our time trying to figure out how and when we could possibly bring our patients in with the few chairs that do exist. Do yourself a favor, don’t go to this school, go somewhere where you actually have a chance of learning and becoming a better dentist. Go to a school where the dean is approachable and cares what is happening to his students. Our dean will never dare walk through the clinic floor. I think he is too scared. All he would see is the majority of the students standing on line for instruments/supplies, miserable as hell. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Don’t forget ask about the graduation rates. b/c whats the point of getting into a specialty only to find out that you aren’t graduating on time and you will have to defer it if they will allow you to. And trust me spending most of your time worrying about graduating on time is a very miserable way to live.

Its the end of my 3rd year in dental school at SC. I was a non-science major coming in so of course I was very worried about boards since you don't learn anything in PBL. Studying for boards was very frustrating b/c we never learned biochem, histology, etc. So I would just sit there trying to read a biochem book but after the 4th chapter it made no sense to me. I was soooo frustrated. I didn't want to specialize so it made things a little better. But I still wish that I had a chance to do better if I had the correct foundation that should have been provided by SC. After I got my results I did better than I thought and somehow biochem was my highest score. I have no idea how that happened. Point is if you want to do exceptional on your boards this is not the school for you, b/c you have no way of really competing with the nation when your school doesn't teach you anything.

Moving on to the clinic.. I have basically been on the clinic floor for the past year. When I was studying for boards I thought that was the worst, but I really had no idea what was coming to me. There is no sense of professionalism at this school. If your a girl and happen to be sleeping with the faculty then you will most likely graduate on time. But for the rest you are faced with sexually charged comments from old nasty dentists whom you must just sit and listen to b/c you are trying to graduate too. And if you want to complain then good luck who do you complain to? Nothing gets accomplished, and you will be blacklisted b/c all of the faculty somehow end up knowing whats going on b/c they are constantly chatting about specific students when they really should be "teaching".

Besides that the main problem that every pre-dental student should ask dental schools that they are interviewing at is "WHAT IS YOUR GRADUATION RATE?" the second most important question is what are your board scores? (keep in mind that board scores are not solely based on the school, there are people in our class that did particularly well, I think one person got a 98) But graduation rate is completely out of your hand. Only 36% of the 2007 class is graduating on time. There are multiple reasons why this is true. Too many to explain here but I will mention a few.
1. Not enough faculty coverage for the number of students that are permitted to be on the clinic floor
2. The majority of the faculty that is on the clinic floor does not have the authority to sign off on fixed work so you end up prepping a crown with one faculty in one appt take a final impression on your 2nd appt and then send the lab work out. Then you spend a day or two trying to track one of the five faculty who do have the authority to sign it off only to have them tell you that there needs to be adjustments made. Then you bring the patient back but unfortunately the faculty who can sign off is rarely ever teaching on the clinic floor. Do this 5 + times until your patient gets completely fed up and doesn’t want to come back.
3. So many requirements: 30 fixed (crowns), 9 removable arches, etc..
4. Soo many comp exams on live patients who must qualify for these exams. The faculty grading are nearly impossible to pass, and it is soooo hard to find pt’s that qualify. Every day we are bombarded by seniors emailing us looking for compable crowns. They are more like begging us for these crowns.
5. Again not enough faculty to sit your patient down and do the work
6. Last week attempted to take a final impression of a crown. RDA left early (the person who takes the impressions). Tried to get the material needed from the dispensary but guess what they were all out. Brought patient back tonight only to beg every single faculty on the clinic floor to please cover me. I explained that I don’t need there assistance I have everything signed off. I just want to get a final impression. But after one hour of running around that didn’t happen. Had to send my pt. home. Apparently, 2 faculty just decided to cancel their night chairs, and of course nobody bothers to tell the poor dental students!!

Anyways, there are soooo many other reasons why this school is absolutely the most chaotic, bull****, school. We don’t even become great clinicians b/c we spend at least over 60% of our time trying to figure out how and when we could possibly bring our patients in with the few chairs that do exist. Do yourself a favor, don’t go to this school, go somewhere where you actually have a chance of learning and becoming a better dentist. Go to a school where the dean is approachable and cares what is happening to his students. Our dean will never dare walk through the clinic floor. I think he is too scared. All he would see is the majority of the students standing on line for instruments/supplies, miserable as hell. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Don’t forget ask about the graduation rates. b/c whats the point of getting into a specialty only to find out that you aren’t graduating on time and you will have to defer it if they will allow you to. And trust me spending most of your time worrying about graduating on time is a very miserable way to live.

Quoting to save one for posterity after this chick gets banned and all her posts get deleted for trolling.

If your from SoCal, and you got into a SoCal school I think you should stay in cali cuz no city/weather/nitelife compares! I mean that should not be your ONLY motivation, I know a lot of peeps at SC and they are truly happy with the program. Tradition at SC is great and you really network and find great partnership opportunities as a fresh grad. If you stay here, you will be close to family/friends and avoid massive moving costs and transition. Half my family lives in boston (in the suburbs of Arlington) and the housing cost is Ok. But the closer you get to the city, especially where Tufts is near Boston Common and North End, the costs sky rocket. Just evaluate what is the best and easiest decision for you. After all, dental school is going to be a stressfull 4 years so try to make your life as easy as you can. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
instead of asking a brunch of predents who do not know why dont you call up tufts now that you have been accepted and ask to talk to a faculty member who can answer your questions about practicing in california after graduating from tufts? I guarantee the information you will get will be 1000000 times better than this forum.

I think it is a very difficult decision. I also am a native Californian and I can understand your dilemma. Good luck in whatever you decide!

On a slightly different note, I think it is a mistake to completely buy into what jeninny said. Not everyone posting here are predents -- some, like myself, are either in school, some are recent graduates, and some are already dentists. Also, dental school is a business and Tufts *might* give you a line. They want to sell their school to you so simply believing whatever they tell you without consulting other sources (i.e. this forum) would be naive and immature.

Damn reading all this makes me second question my decision.
I turned down Tufts (to go along with its offer of $5000 scholarship) to go to 'SC.
Reason why I do this: It's cold as hell in Boston and I'm currently an undergrad at 'SC.

I think it is a very difficult decision. I also am a native Californian and I can understand your dilemma. Good luck in whatever you decide!

On a slightly different note, I think it is a mistake to completely buy into what jeninny said. Not everyone posting here are predents -- some, like myself, are either in school, some are recent graduates, and some are already dentists. Also, dental school is a business and Tufts *might* give you a line. They want to sell their school to you so simply believing whatever they tell you without consulting other sources (i.e. this forum) would be naive and immature.

This forum is NOT a source.

Generally speaking, it is ridiculously uninformed people posting whatever random thought comes to their head. Abot 5% of the posters on this website are people whose logic and opinions I value.

Do this: Call up the Tufts. Ask them what you would need to do to practice in California upon graduating. Write it down. Then, VERIFY this information your self on www.adea.org.

That will be the best way to get your answer.

Yeah, I understand what you mean living in cold weather sucks! you have to stay indoors for ALL four years! :(

Damn reading all this makes me second question my decision.
I turned down Tufts (to go along with its offer of $5000 scholarship) to go to 'SC.
Reason why I do this: It's cold as hell in Boston and I'm currently an undergrad at 'SC.

This forum is NOT a source.

Generally speaking, it is ridiculously uninformed people posting whatever random thought comes to their head. Abot 5% of the posters on this website are people whose logic and opinions I value.

Do this: Call up the Tufts. Ask them what you would need to do to practice in California upon graduating. Write it down. Then, VERIFY this information your self on www.adea.org.

That will be the best way to get your answer.

There is some really good advice on this forum. Not to nitpick, but you said this forum is not a source, and yet in your very own post you recommended some very sound advice...that smacks to me of a strong contradiction. What I said was to be SMART and not rely solely on what Tufts said. You yourself recommended for the original poster to "Write it down. Then, VERIFY this information your self on www.adea.org."

If no one else is going to say it I'll be the first -- stop being such a b**ch. You just criticized a lot of very smart people on this forum that willingly offer a lot of great advice.

you said this forum is not a source, and yet in your very own post you recommended some very sound advice...that smacks to me of a strong contradiction.

Wrong. I said 95% of the advice on SDN is worthless. I am part of the other 5%. No contradiction there.

If no one else is going to say it I'll be the first -- stop being such a b**ch. You just criticized a lot of very smart people on this forum that willingly offer a lot of great advice.

Not really. The smart 5% on SDN will (1) realize I'm not talking about them (2) be self-assurred enough to not worry about some random person possibly criticisizing them over the intertube (LOLZzZZ!) and (3) know that this is a message board on internet and even in the little scheme of things really does not matter. It's the internet, dude. Get over yourself.

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to USC and Tufts this week. I'm very excited but now its' time to choose. I heard that Tufts is a better school and I like the fact that it's not PBL...but I'm a Californian and I think that I may want to stay in California after I graduate. Do you guys know if my career would be seriously affected if I attend Tufts but come back to California after I graduate? Thanx in advance!!:D

One of the sources you can ask is the California Dental Association. Ask them what percentage of their members are from out of state and if it is anymore difficult for out of state trained dentists to practice in California. Personally, I would doubt it.

http://www.cda.org/

Thanx for everyone's advice/opinion. I think that there is no right and wrong really but i just want to see if there's anything I didn't consider. It's a big decision and anything you guys say will only help me or others making the same decision.

I guess more on this note, the only thing holding me back about Tufts is that whenever I tell people that I got into SC, they would say "wow, congrats!". On the other hand, most would be like "....so where's Tufts?". That makes me kinda worried. I think that 10 yrs down the road, no matter where you go for dental school, we'll all have comparable skills if you're committed to your art. However, the topic will inevitably come up..."where did you go to dental school?". When I was working at a dental office, some new patients would actually ask that question before making their 1st appointment. I think that most ppl who say USC is in general more well known but Tufts is well known about ppl in the healthcare field.

Again, the disclaimer is that I realyl don't know much about how this field works b/c no one in my family is in healthcare. I just really want to make sure it's the right thing to do if I choose Tufts.

Wrong. I said 95% of the advice on SDN is worthless. I am part of the other 5%. No contradiction there.

Not really. The smart 5% on SDN will (1) realize I'm not talking about them (2) be self-assurred enough to not worry about some random person possibly criticisizing them over the intertube (LOLZzZZ!) and (3) know that this is a message board on internet and even in the little scheme of things really does not matter. It's the internet, dude. Get over yourself.

Pretentious. You haven't made any contributions around here so don't act like your in a position to pass judgement on the SDN community. Secondly If only 5% of the advice given on SDN is worth something, then your 90 or so post wouldnt make the cut, so...don't flatter yourself. Please take your own advice and "bolded quote from above."

Pretentious. You haven't made any contributions around here so don't act like your in a position to pass judgement on the SDN community. Secondly If only 5% of the advice given on SDN is worth something, then your 90 or so post wouldnt make the cut, so...don't flatter yourself. Please take your own advice and "bolded quote from above."

:thumbup::thumbup: