Tuition!...tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi2kul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
#1 please can someone kindly list some DO schools based on tuition from the cheapest to the most expensive?

#2 will like to know which schools can offer instate tuition after first year.

thanks for all the information...they really do help expecially when budget is a very big concern

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe UMDNJ is one of them.

That sounds right.

There are 11 out of 28 schools that have a difference between IS and OOS tution. A couple of them (LECOM's) are within $2,000 of each other (IS vs. OOS). That leaves 9 schools, and 6 of them are state supported (TCOM, OSUCOM, OUCOM, UMDNJ, WVSOM, MSUCOM). So there are 3 private schools with a significant difference in tuition between IS and OOS (NSU, RVU, CCOM).

Just thought I'd break it down. :)

you can get instate tuition after 1 year at all ohio universities and colleges

wow, if you're from texas and get into TCOM...how could you ever turn that down

Schools where you can qualify for in-state tuition without living there beforehand

*OUCOM (Beginning of 2nd year)
*UMDNJ (1st semester)

this is such a great help on deciding which schools to even apply to. thanks guys

Oh yeah. That's why their IS admissions is at like 94%. Good call.

Can't all students qualify for instate tuition in their second year and on since they have already spent their entire first year in that state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't all students qualify for instate tuition in their second year and on since they have already spent their entire first year in that state?

Depends on the state. Most states/state schools say that your IS/OOS status that you matriculated with remains the same for the duration of the program. That's why NJ is the exception and not the rule.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Depends on the state. Most states/state schools say that your IS/OOS status that you matriculated with remains the same for the duration of the program. That's why NJ is the exception and not the rule.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

no thanx...you got it.

Very few of them. I don't know of any offhand.

Ohio does, but it comes with a five year commitment to stay in state (residency wipes away the whole commitment though if you do an AOA residency in Ohio)

New Jersey will also give instate with no commitment

I think WVSCOM does NOT give you a break after year1. I thought their total cost of Education was like 80K per year for all 4 years for out of staters....yikes. I cancelled my interview. Seemed like a great school and all the posters on here liked it, but that's a lot of powder.

Ohio does, but it comes with a five year commitment to stay in state (residency wipes away the whole commitment though if you do an AOA residency in Ohio)

New Jersey will also give instate with no commitment

are you talking about OUCOM in particular or all ohio schools?
I'm pretty sure that if you go to ohio state or case western, and take residency in ohio after a year, you are not committed to staying there for 5 years
Graduate of OUCOM suing them over the residency issue

You are correct. Only does OUCOM have this.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I need some clarification on this.

As far as I understand, out of state students, will qualify for some sort of scholarship if they sign an agreement to practice for five years "after residency" in ohio. And doing a residency in ohio will break the agreement.

Am I missing anything?

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I need some clarification on this.

As far as I understand, out of state students, will qualify for some sort of scholarship if they sign an agreement to practice for five years "after residency" in ohio. And doing a residency in ohio will break the agreement.

Am I missing anything?

As an out of state student, you need to sign an agreement that says you will practice medicine in Ohio for X amount of years. It's not a scholarship. It is a requirement to attend the school as an out of stater.

As an out of state student, you need to sign an agreement that says you will practice medicine in Ohio for X amount of years. It's not a scholarship. It is a requirement to attend the school as an out of stater.

aside from attending the school, what do I get? lower tuition?

wow MSU-COM $61,141 OOS total!!!!!!!! how can anyone from OOS afford to go to MSU?

aside from attending the school, what do I get? lower tuition?

You will get IS tuition after the first year at OUCOM. You'll also get access to great rotations in the CORE system. You'll also get this if you go to AZCOM and choose OH for your clinical years. You can probably do the same at other schools.

wow MSU-COM $61,141 OOS total!!!!!!!! how can anyone from OOS afford to go to MSU?

My guess? The usual Federal Stafford plus GradPlus loan. Any remaining COA covered by other sources, including private education loans. While it shouldn't be the exclusive reason to do HPSP, it is one avenue, if military service agrees with you. Primary care scholarships are also good alternatives, if you are absolutely sure you want to go that route.

You will get IS tuition after the first year at OUCOM. You'll also get access to great rotations in the CORE system. You'll also get this if you go to AZCOM and choose OH for your clinical years. You can probably do the same at other schools.

sweet...thank you all:)

It was said to me when I was applying that quite a few OOS MSUCOM students get grants or scholarships. Personally, the OOS tuition made me turn down their interview invitation after I had an acceptance somewhere else (I deliberately delayed the MSUCOM interview date by 2 months just for that hopeful scenario). I just couldn't stomach the high tuition.

sweet OOS scholarships
CCOM is around $60K instate and OOS as well

CCOM is around $40K instate and $44K OOS at least those were the numbers they gave us when we interviewed this year...

Hey Guys
Since we are talking about funding, Anyone familiar with fundings for international students ?:scared:

Thanks
:(

CCOM is around $40K instate and $44K OOS at least those were the numbers they gave us when we interviewed this year...

errr...yeah, i should've clarified
i was including cost of living and all that, my bad

can anyone comment on the annual tuition cost of doing a residency program, after you have graduated from the initial 4 years of medical school?

can anyone comment on the annual tuition cost of doing a residency program, after you have graduated from the initial 4 years of medical school?

Good news. They actually start paying you after med-school :thumbup:

On average $30k per year is what i've heard. At least its coming in instead of going out though, right?

Hey Guys
Since we are talking about funding, Anyone familiar with fundings for international students ?:scared:

Thanks
:(

First: chocolate bear, thanks for the excel file man!

I do know as an international student you are not elegible for standford loans, perkins, and any federal loans. Being that those ways are the main ways people in the US pay for med school, I'm not sure what you can do. Private loans will only go so high...I would suggest you talk to the financial aid of the school you want/are going to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news. They actually start paying you after med-school :thumbup:

On average $30k per year is what i've heard. At least its coming in instead of going out though, right?

Hi DoktorB, thanks for the reply. So we don't pay tuition for our residency program??

I'm a bit confused by the budget for Western U

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/financial/financial-budgets-osteopathy.xml

what's with the ISAC and OMM years? It looks like you have to pay around 70,000 for 8 years!! :eek:

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/financial/financial-budgets-osteopathy.xml

what's with the ISAC and OMM years? It looks like you have to pay around 70,000 for 8 years!! :eek:

The ISAC and OMM years are optional things that they include on there. ISAC is 'intensive summer anatomy course' and I think the OMM years are fellowship programs. These are completely optional and unless you are going into strictly OMM through the fellowship program you can ignore them. 4 years of payment and debt, then 3+ of bare minimum pay (residency), then the big bucks :D

Just like ShyRem stated, it was mentioned during my visit at MSUCOM that there were many scholarships for exclusively OSS and almost all of them receive some sort of scholarship making the cost more comparable to ISS.