Tulane ACP housing / living costs

Started by red73
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

red73

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since we do not get word on whether or not we are accepted, wait listed, or rejected until late June, how do students find housing on such short notice? I am from the upper Midwest, so it's not like I can simply drive down on a weekend and figure things out. Not to mention, this program has to be paid out of pocket due to the lack of degree, so rental cost is an issue. Is on-campus housing available and affordable?
 
My last correspondence with Mrs. Dawsey indicated that applications will be reviewed in the beginning of June. In the previous threads regarding ACP, applicants were notified of their status very quickly (including the first day of review).

I doubt on-campus housing is available, especially because it is a non-degree program.

Have you submitted your app?
 
Not yet. Since the adcom does not make decisions on a rolling decision, I felt that there was no benefit to submitting early. Plus, I am still interviewing at DO schools. Don't get me wrong, if I get accepted into the ACP I will choose it over the DOs anyways, but I figured it couldn't possibly hurt to include an acceptance in my letter of intent/statement of purpose if I have the opportunity. I am however currently working on getting my application together. I just won't submit it until mid April when my last decision should be in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, that's kind of interesting. Say you get accepted to all of the DOs, the acceptance should fulfill the WL requirement, right? Obviously an acceptance is better than a WL, but do you think they will view it as "meh, they're already in somewhere?"
 
I was worried about the same thing, so I contacted Shannon about it. She said it would also fulfill the requirement. I assume it would actually support and reinforce why I feel that my future lies at Tulane.

It's not that I don't believe in the DO mentality. I do. It's just that none of the DOs can compete with Tulane when it comes to educational opportunities. I hope to one day go ortho. If you take into account both ACGME and AOA residency position, the match rate for ortho via the DO route is actually pretty similar. However, if I have to go through the AOA for residency, which would be highly likely, acquiring a fellowship might prove to be very difficult. Additionally, the presence of the TISM is extremely appealing to me. Throw in the fact that I absolutely fell in love with New Orleans, and for that matter the surrounding region, the first time I visited, and you have a brief summary of why I am applying.

Edited to include: I've read just about every post on this site regarding this program, but have yet to find anything other than anecdotal evidence regarding how applications are reviewed. The only real guideline listed on the Tulane ACP website is that those with 30+ MCATs are given preference. I'm sitting at exactly a 30 MCAT (retaking in May, but I'm assuming that decisions are made prior to my scores being returned). I will be sending in transcripts that I believe will show a 3.58 cGPA and around 3.4 sGPA. Shannon told me that these scores will be competitive, but I'm dying for some definitive admissions stats here. June is a long time to wait without some sort of approximation of my chances.
 
Last edited:
Well that's good to hear. Did you apply to any allo schools? If you applied broadly I would think you would have a shot.
 
I actually applied to quite a few allos. I had a 3.2 sGPA for this past cycle, so that really hurt. Plus, my ECs and physician shadowing were probably half as impressive as they are now.
 
Hey guys. I'm currently in the ACP program and would like to try and answer any questions you have.

Concerning housing, all of us live pretty spread out around the city in various types of places. A few live in Deming, which is the student medical school housing. It is actually connected to the hospital/med school, so you don't even have to walk outside to go to class. Although this housing isn't the most luxurious, the location def has many advantages, and people were able to get 1 and 2 bedrooms pretty late in the summer. One person lives in an apartment complex, some nice ones in the city are the saulet/ esplanade/ georgian app. And then the rest, like me, just got here and found places on craigslist/ pad mapper (look in the uptown/garden district area). Rent can go from 500-1000 depending on various factors. You really should make sure you look at any actual houses before you rent them, as New Orleans neighborhoods go from good to bad quickly. Once you're accepted I would also recommend joining the 2016 medicine fb group, as lots of people are posting about housing there.

Now about applications. I submitted really early just so I could have it in and done with, and I think I heard about mid-june. The people that go over your app are the program directors as well as 1 admissions person. At orientation we were told that the ACP average mcat was higher than the first year med school mcat, which leads me to believe that they target people with lower GPA's and higher MCAT's (we like to speculate our average was a 33, spanning a range of 28-37). I think if you are a female you also have an advantage, as they have fewer girl applicants (our class is only 1/3 female, and the class before was 1/8).

This is an AWESOME program and I'd love to answer any more questions you have. Just post them here or send me a message. AND I'm proud to say that everyone who beat the average this year has been accepted, so trust me this program works!
 
Did you guys end up applying to the ACP? I submitted my application earlier this month. We will be hearing back pretty soon.
 
Yea I applied in february. June 5 is coming up!

Nice I didn't know that was the date they were meeting this year. Thanks for the heads up. It'd be cool to hear that early, give us time to get our housing and loans sorted. Good luck, hopefully we both get in.
 
An email was sent out sometime in April stating that was the tentative date, and we should know shortly after. Good luck to you as well. I was looking on padmapper for housing earlier today; a bit premature lol.
 
I was just accepted to the M.Pharm program, but am scrambling to find places to live and relocate myself by July 18th. The fb group is pretty dead, does anyone have some good info (in the vein of tennisstar89's post above) about finding houising? Cost is a priority for me, so I'm definitely looking for a roommmate or two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A good friend of mine wound up on the ACP waitlist today. Does anybody know if there is any kind of masters or certificate program only for people who are waitlisted at a program designed only for people who are on a med school waitlist?

This is borderline ridiculous...
 
A good friend of mine wound up on the ACP waitlist today. Does anybody know if there is any kind of masters or certificate program only for people who are waitlisted at a program designed only for people who are on a med school waitlist?

This is borderline ridiculous...

Lol
 
i was waitlisted today as well, normal though

for those in top 11 what does it say exactly in your letter?

also does this program have guarantees/conditional acceptances to their med school if you do this program?
 
From the website: There are no guarantees of admission to any medical school upon completion of this program.

Just a great track record of getting people into Tulane.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was waitlisted as one of the top 11. I don't understand how the letter states that the alternate list is without ranking but then I'm also one of their top 11 alternates...Any idea on how soon can we expect to hear back with either a definite acceptance or rejection? Does anyone know if the alternates are notified by email or phone if they are pulled off the list? If for some reason, I can't be contacted by phone will they make sure to email me too?

What are people doing regarding the health insurance policy? If we're coming as OOS students(which would be most if not all students I'm assuming) then how does an individual health insurance plan for our own county/state still apply in Louisiana? Most individual insurance providers I've spoken with say that if you go out of state you'll only be covered for emergency issues(like going to the ER,etc.) and not doctor visits. The alternative is having PPO insurance which is a LOT more expensive per month. To be honest, I just want to have the bare minimum needed so I can finish the year at Tulane and I seriously doubt I'll actually have any serious health issues for the one year we spend as ACP students(knock on wood). How are you guys planning to handle this(or have handled this for those who've already completed it)?

My letter states: "This is an alternate list without ranking;however, we can let you know that you are in our top 11 alternates"
 
They usually rank the top 5 alternatives, as in previous years, but for some reason they have yet to do that. So I guess they have selected 11 alternatives that they will eventually rank, if it becomes necessary.

They will e-mail if you're selected off the waitlist. If you don't respond to the e-mail, they will call you.
 
Last edited:
i was waitlisted today as well, normal though

for those in top 11 what does it say exactly in your letter?

also does this program have guarantees/conditional acceptances to their med school if you do this program?

Historically, those who get above the average in anatomy are accepted into Tulane for the following year
 
Care to share what motivated you to spend the money to apply to all these SMPs without knowing what they are?

I'm completely baffled by this.

I looked into them, but didn't find any information about the above anywhere.

Also applied out of panic since was told I wouldn't get into any smp
 
I was accepted to Tulane's ACP and their One Year Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology. Anyone with advice on which one program to choose? Either way, I would need advice on housing/ looking for roommates!
 
Im pretty sure Tulane ACP program is a much stronger program than the CMB program. I finished the pharm program in 09 at Tulane and got rejected from the CMB program when I applied to both. Currently a rising 2nd year med student at Tulane.
 
I was accepted last week. Excited to be heading down to NOLA.
I am looking for roommates/a place to live, feel free to message me.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry I've been away from this thread for so long. It's pretty easy to find housing in NOLA. I used padmapper, which takes listing from Craigslist and other sites and puts them on a map for you so that you can only look in the areas you're interested in. I would look for 2/1s in the uptown or garden district area. I saw a map floating around somewhere with the safe areas to live highlighted, I'll look for it and repost it here. The best place to find housing is prob the 2016 Facebook group. There are tons of people who already have apartments and are looking for roomies!! I lived with a med student last year as an ACP and it wasn't weird at all. They said that I actually intimidated them a little but with my gunner studying 🙂 people also live in apartment complexes, one ACP lived in the saulet and really liked it. lastly there is always the student housing Deming. It is actually connected to the med school, so you don't have to walk outside to go to class or when you visit the anatomy labs at 9pm. It's also cheaper and has a garage for your car. It has everything already set up for you, like furniture/ Internet/ utilities. That being said these are student apartments and are not the nicest accommodations.
 
I was accepted to Tulane's ACP and their One Year Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology. Anyone with advice on which one program to choose? Either way, I would need advice on housing/ looking for roommates!

I guess the answer depends on what you are looking for. Last year I also was accepted to ACP and masters programs, and picked ACP because it was pretty much a sure thing. I would say pick ACP if you want to get in this cycle and want to go to Tulane (although there are people who got other interviews and acceptances. The problem is that you can't update other schools with your grades until after anatomy is over, so late December, which is a litter later in the cycle to be getting interviews, but still totally possible! ). Pick the masters if you want another broad application cycle and to apply after your masters (so 2 years). I guess you could apply during the masters, but again you can't update with grades until December. I don't think you can go wrong with either though! Good luck and maybe I'll see you next year!
 
Historically, those who get above the average in anatomy are accepted into Tulane for the following year

Yes, you have basically a 100% chance of being accepted if you beat the average in anatomy. This year, 14/16 people beat the average. The two that didn't were also trying to work 30-40 hours a week, and just couldn't devote the time needed to studying. I think if you come here and can focus on the work, you should easily be able to beat the average.

So after getting grades in December, those of us who beat the average began to hear from admissions. If you already interviewed at Tulane the year before you were immediately accepted in January. If you hadnt interviewed yet, in January you were emailed a date to interview, then heard back in the last week of February. This interview is a total formality. To put it in perspective I will tell you that one year an ACP had a bad interview day with scores too low to be accepted, so admission gave him another interview day a few weeks later to redeem himself. We are their TAs, they need us, and want to accept you once you have beaten the average.
 
Any other girls looking for a roommate? Send me a message!

Thanks for all the info tennisstar!
 
Hey Tennisstar, do a lot of people get off the alternative list? The letter I received said typically 8-10 kids are selected off the wait-list each year. I'm unsure of my rank on the list; all it said was that I was in the top 11.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad