Tulane ACP students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stars6868

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been accepted to the Tulane ACP program, and was just curious if there were any current Tulane students here that had anything to say about people they knew in their classes that were in the ACP, and what the actual med students thought of the ACP program. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ACP students are viewed by "actual" med students as being full-fledged classmates. ACP is a great program, you should be happy about getting into it.

stars6868 said:
Hey everyone,

I have been accepted to the Tulane ACP program, and was just curious if there were any current Tulane students here that had anything to say about people they knew in their classes that were in the ACP, and what the actual med students thought of the ACP program. Thanks

stars6868 said:
Hey everyone,

The deal is if you do well in the anatomy and histology, you will be accepted to the medical school. This program was invented to create TA's for the medical students (dissection). I was an ACP student myself.
Best of luck and see you in class

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I am just stuck trying to decide between ACP and Drexel IMS but am really thinking ACP is better, especially considering I was wait listed at Tulane this year, and absolutley loved it at my interview(post hurricane) so it makes even more sense to go there. SO thanks for the input

Frankly, I can't believe they are still doing ACP (= A Cash Profit) since the incoming class is already overfilled; having ACP students in addition to regular students will make the first-year class very crowded.

The AAMC wants larger med school enrollments anyway, so maybe ACP will make that transition easier.

clusterfunk said:
Frankly, I can't believe they are still doing ACP (= A Cash Profit) since the incoming class is already overfilled; having ACP students in addition to regular students will make the first-year class very crowded.

The AAMC wants larger med school enrollments anyway, so maybe ACP will make that transition easier.

For the last 4 years at least, Tulane has accepted around 160 students and 12-14 ACP students. That's the time I've been around, but ACP has been around for at lest 10 yrs I think. Those numbers are the same this year as well, so nothing has really changed. The whole purpose of ACP is to allow students who have been having bad luck in the application process a chance to prove themselves in the classroom. This way the ACP student can have a direct influence on whether he/she gets in. In my opinion, it's better than getting a one year masters b/c if you do that, you still just have to wait and see if the admissions committee thinks your good enough. With ACP, you get the oppurtunity to show in the classroom that you're good enough, and then it makes it very hard for the committee to say you don't belong in the first year class, when you're scoring at or above the class average in all the courses.

As for treatment, as my boy, Hawaiian Bruin, put it, ACP's are treated by students and faculty like family. You take the tests at the same time, in the same room with the med students. The Tulane students consider you colleageus. The anatomy TA's are former ACP students so they "look out" for you in anatomy, and make sure you're on top of things. They actually do this for all the students, but they want to make sure the ACP students are doing well.

To sum it up, I think ACP is the best alternative for people who are looking for something to do to improve their resume for the next application cycle, especially if you got waitlisted at Tulane. I mean if you're gonna have to sit out a year, why not get credit for med school classes, so when you do get accepted next year, you already have some under your belt. It's like taking first year in the span of two years. It's great!

Signed,

Random member of ACP class of 2002-2003

To hang out for half a year (in the ACP program) with hopes to get into Tulane Med is just ridiculous. This is just another cash-machine for Cowen and friends. For all you hopefuls, just have diverse extracurriculars and at least a +38 MCAT (or at least keep taking it until you get that high). Those
accepted into ACP are already high-caliber candidates and unless you are (sweet gpa and mcats) then you're just wasting a year dreaming. Saddle up, it takes a rare breed to be an MD...but then again, there's always those DO schools. Good Luck all.

go c/o 2008!

Rjay

MDtulane said:
To hang out for half a year (in the ACP program) with hopes to get into Tulane Med is just ridiculous. This is just another cash-machine for Cowen and friends. For all you hopefuls, just have diverse extracurriculars and at least a +38 MCAT (or at least keep taking it until you get that high). Those
accepted into ACP are already high-caliber candidates and unless you are (sweet gpa and mcats) then you're just wasting a year dreaming. Saddle up, it takes a rare breed to be an MD...but then again, there's always those DO schools. Good Luck all.

go c/o 2008!

Rjay
wow, people are aholes.

MDtulane said:

go c/o 2008!

Rjay

I still can't tell if this is a serious or a troll post. It's incredibly stupid either way.

MDtulane said:

go c/o 2008!

Rjay

wow, you sound like a jackass. i go to tulane and I dont know anyone who got a 38.

well, except for me, I got a 48 :rolleyes:

seriously, everyone I have known in the ACP program have been really solid students. they were our TA's in anatomy and I learned a lot from them. Go ACPers!!!

crunchyhamster said:
wow, you sound like a jackass. i go to tulane and I dont know anyone who got a 38.

1) You definitely don't need a 38 to get into Tulane. You don't even need an MCAT score. Couple of people in my class were Tulane undergrads who got into med though some weird program that didn't even require the MCAT. Admissions Big Sleazy style.

2) Let's face it, some of the ACP people are definitely challenged in smarts department-- a few of my anatomy TA's were complete boneheads. On the other hand, so are a few people in my class (in particular the no MCAT bunch), so this may not mean anything.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on ACP unless you truly honestly believe you'll never get in any other way. Just strengthen your application and reapply-- your loan is going to be big enough as it is. But if ACP is the only way to go, then do it. One of the benefits is that you'll have extra time to study 1st year since anatomy will be out of the way.