Tulane Acp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just out of curiosity how did you guys show you were on a med school waitlist? Did you have to make a copy of the waitlist letter the school sent you?

Exactly.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys -

Does anyone know if we can defer acp for a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont quote me on this but I think your TAing just involves helping people and picking out the most clear specimens for the exam.

Dont quote me on this but I think your TAing just involves helping people and picking out the most clear specimens for the exam.

Is TAing a requirement for the SMP students. What if you just want to take it easy that second year at Tulane. What I want to know is whether it is just a suggestion or a requirement for SMP students to TA after their first year.

Well I think you wouldnt be making any friends with faculty if you decline to TA your T1 year. Anatomy is the bulk of the first semester so really I dont know what else you'd do since you wont have histology to worry about either....having teaching on your CV is a big +.

Also, ACP is not an SMP. Your performance in that program is ONLY worth anything to Tulane. Grades in these classes do NOT show on any transcript. Its a certificate of completion only.

You have to get above a certain percent to pass...just like any other P/F school. Your % in a class is what contributes to your class rank.

EDIT: What I said above is for med students at Tulane. For you your score vs average med student score is what admissions will look at. The point I was making is that doing ACP only helps you with Tulane. It will do nothing for any other school.

A friend of my family is on the adcom at GW. He actually advised me to go to the ACP over EVMS program because he said they had taken several students based on the merits of than program, whereas the EVMS program 'won't help you anywhere but EVMS', so there's at least one other respected medical school that cares how you do in this program.

Anyway I finally decided to officially accept ACP and reject my other offers. Now its time to put together a personal statement.

I'm surprised to hear that any school would really care. All they could officially glean from your cert. is that you passed Anatomy and Histo. :confused: Either way, welcome. Its going to be a fun year or five. :p

ACP does matter for other schools.

Two ACPers from my class got into their home schools based on their performance in ACP. One got into UF and one into South Carolina. The main professor of anatomy, Dr. Kirby, ran ACP when I took it in 2002. He told us that he could send our current grades to any school that we were applying to. If we were honoring anatomy, he would make sure the schools we were applying to knew about it.

Anyone heard back yet from their ACP apps? May 9th is the day of reckoning. Just wondering if we can expect something earlier.

Anyone heard back yet from their ACP apps? May 9th is the day of reckoning. Just wondering if we can expect something earlier.
I haven't heard of anything but will post when I find out

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news anyone

I feel like calling but I don't want to bug them

Hi Guys:

I just received an acceptance email. Keep hope alive!

:)

Congrats on the acceptance!
That is a sweet looking program.

Hi Guys:

I just received an acceptance email. Keep hope alive!

:)

Hmm...they seemed adamant about mailing out acceptances/waitlists/rejections all at once. You aren't talking about one of the other Tulane SMPs are you? I've heard they've been emailing acceptances for the pharmacology program over the last couple days...

Regardless, congrats!

Hmm...they seemed adamant about mailing out acceptances/waitlists/rejections all at once. You aren't talking about one of the other Tulane SMPs are you? I've heard they've been emailing acceptances for the pharmacology program over the last couple days...

Regardless, congrats!

I'm not sure if they've mailed acceptances only, but I received a waitlist e-mail today. Does anyone have any ACP waitlist movement insights?

I'm not sure if they've mailed acceptances only, but I received a waitlist e-mail today. Does anyone have any ACP waitlist movement insights?

Stay hopeful, that waitlist does move a decent bit.

Stay hopeful, that waitlist does move a decent bit.

Thanks for the encouragement - I am actually really grateful just to be on the waitlist. The program seems to be really competitive!

I am really confused, however, about the class scheduling. Perrotfish, do you know whether ACP classes will start during early August similar to previous years or early June? Thanks much for your help in advance!

Still nada here.

It is a little bit different this year. Histology is over the summer this time starting early june and then anatomy in fall.

Still nada here.

It is a little bit different this year. Histology is over the summer this time starting early june and then anatomy in fall.
doesn't give one much time to find a place

doesn't give one much time to find a place

Agreed, especially if you're on the waitlist! I haven't even submitted a FAFSA or tried to obtain loans, let alone thought about housing (I'm OOS).

That is really odd considering med school waitlists are still moving at that time. Do they make you pull out of all waitlists or commit to the ACP program once your in? It seems to me that if they accepted 15 people and 3 or 4 people pulled out of the program in June or July because they got into med school, it would be quite detrimental to the health of the program.

Regardless, congrats!

Thanks! It is actually Tulane ACP. I only applied to ACP because I'm currently on a waitlist from one school. I also applied to other post-bacs but this program has the highest linkage that I know of. Are you currently waiting ACP? Good luck! :)

That is really odd considering med school waitlists are still moving at that time. Do they make you pull out of all waitlists or commit to the ACP program once your in? It seems to me that if they accepted 15 people and 3 or 4 people pulled out of the program in June or July because they got into med school, it would be quite detrimental to the health of the program.

I agree, I think it is really dumb the way they are doing it this year. They are definitely going to have problems this year with waitlisted applicants. I don't think they would (or can) make you withdraw from waitlists. At the end of the day the whole point is to get into medical school. Last year you took anatomy and histology in the fall. Apparently there are some curriculum changes this year that are causing this to happen.

I believe the acceptance email said that you have until May 28 before your deposit is non-refundable.

Thanks! It is actually Tulane ACP. I only applied to ACP because I'm currently on a waitlist from one school. I also applied to other post-bacs but this program has the highest linkage that I know of. Are you currently waiting ACP? Good luck! :)

Thanks. Yeah, I'm applying ACP also, but haven't heard anything yet. Again, congrats. Guess you'll be putting down the deposit if you don't get picked up off your waitlist by May 28th?

I agree, I think it is really dumb the way they are doing it this year. They are definitely going to have problems this year with waitlisted applicants. I don't think they would (or can) make you withdraw from waitlists. At the end of the day the whole point is to get into medical school. Last year you took anatomy and histology in the fall. Apparently there are some curriculum changes this year that are causing this to happen.

No they don´t make you withdraw from waitlists, unless they changed something this year. The new system is not a matter of "dumb", so much as "you are not their top priority". The story I´ve heard is that medical school is switching from a traditional cirriculum (histo and anatomy as seperate courses in the fall) to an integrated systems cirriculum (Anatomy remains a separate course, I think, but histo is now part of some cell/histo/fundamentals of medicine supercourse, again I think, I haven´t actually gotten a schedule yet).

I´m pretty sure the story is that they haven´t figured out how to alter the ACP program yet, so they´re just having you all take Histo in the Summer, and evaluating you on the same Histo/Anatomy combination they´ve always used. Eventually I´d bet they change the program to reflect the new cirriculum, but not this year. If that means that 3-4 kids get in off waitlists and next year´s class has to make do with only 12 Anatomy TAs, in addition to their half a dozen Anatomy professors, I think the school will find a way to live with that. Especially since most medical schools get by with one or two professors, half a dozen non-medical student TAs, and a shorter Anatomy course.

Thank you! Yes, I will send in my deposit but I'm praying for other school to pick me from their list. I'm on their strong alternate list. I will be sending another LOI. Regardless, I will be very quick because I know waiting sucks...good luck to you! :)

Thanks. Yeah, I'm applying ACP also, but haven't heard anything yet. Again, congrats. Guess you'll be putting down the deposit if you don't get picked up off your waitlist by May 28th?

No they don´t make you withdraw from waitlists, unless they changed something this year. The new system is not a matter of "dumb", so much as "you are not their top priority". The story I´ve heard is that medical school is switching from a traditional cirriculum (histo and anatomy as seperate courses in the fall) to an integrated systems cirriculum (Anatomy remains a separate course, I think, but histo is now part of some cell/histo/fundamentals of medicine supercourse, again I think, I haven´t actually gotten a schedule yet).

I´m pretty sure the story is that they haven´t figured out how to alter the ACP program yet, so they´re just having you all take Histo in the Summer, and evaluating you on the same Histo/Anatomy combination they´ve always used. Eventually I´d bet they change the program to reflect the new cirriculum, but not this year. If that means that 3-4 kids get in off waitlists and next year´s class has to make do with only 12 Anatomy TAs, in addition to their half a dozen Anatomy professors, I think the school will find a way to live with that. Especially since most medical schools get by with one or two professors, half a dozen non-medical student TAs, and a shorter Anatomy course.

Thanks for the info.:thumbup:

Rejection letter this morning. Good luck to everyone.

I was accepted this past week as well. I really love this program, but possibly like other potential ACPers for the upcoming year, the weird schedule is kinda disconcerting to me. So it's my understanding that we are only taking Histo in the summer, and then Anatomy in the fall, unlike previous years where they were taken simultaneously. There probably won't be M1 kids taking the same histo class as us in the summer, and thus no current average to compare to, right? Also, do you think that only taking one class at a time will result in a lot of free time?

I was accepted this past week as well. I really love this program, but possibly like other potential ACPers for the upcoming year, the weird schedule is kinda disconcerting to me. So it's my understanding that we are only taking Histo in the summer, and then Anatomy in the fall, unlike previous years where they were taken simultaneously. There probably won't be M1 kids taking the same histo class as us in the summer, and thus no current average to compare to, right? Also, do you think that only taking one class at a time will result in a lot of free time?

I´d guess they´d compare you to last year´s average? Maybe? I´m sure you could call and ask. One class at a time will mean a lot of free time in the Summer, and not very much the fall. Anatomy was about 90% of the program in terms of time commitment.

I´d guess they´d compare you to last year´s average? Maybe? I´m sure you could call and ask. One class at a time will mean a lot of free time in the Summer, and not very much the fall. Anatomy was about 90% of the program in terms of time commitment.

Perrotfish, could you please give us some insight re: your ACP cohort's admissions success over the past year? Are ACPers ever denied admission despite excellent performance in the program? Thanks for your help!

It says on Tulane's site that 95% of ACP "graduates" are admitted to med school. With a rate that high, I have to assume the one person per class who doesn't get in is just a jackass and screws around during the ACP and/or doesn't apply to Tulane afterwards for some reason.

It says on Tulane's site that 95% of ACP "graduates" are admitted to med school. With a rate that high, I have to assume the one person per class who doesn't get in is just a jackass and screws around during the ACP and/or doesn't apply to Tulane afterwards for some reason.

Yeah, I always wonder to that 5% or the person who didn't get in Tulane after ACP. Maybe Perrotfish can educate us on this issue. I should be getting information regarding enrollment and the program's start date by this week. I sent in my deposit last week and received an email saying they will send info once my deposit check is received. :)

Hey guys, discovered this thread through Google. I'll be doing ACP this year barring the unlikely event I get off a waitlist. Look forward to meeting y'all in NOLA soon.

If you do the ACP program you´re going to love speculating about what the one guy did. See the problem is you´re probably never going to hear from that person again (would you keep in touch?), so there´s never any definite information about what the problem was. The rumor from my year, about the guy who didn´t get in from the year before, was that the guy actually passed the classes but was just flat out wierd, doing things like harrasssing the dean to see "how he was doing now" and trying his ID card in different locked doors to see which ones would open. However, these are the rumoriest of rumor, we never got the slightest bit of definite information. So... yeah, make grades and go way out of your way not to piss anyone off and you won´t be the guy.

Great points - I appreciate the insights!

those of you who were admitted to the ACP program, can you post your stats including the waitlisted schools?

I could really use some advice, especially from any ACP alumni (Perrotfish, help me out?). I've been accepted for this upcoming year, and it sounds like an awesome program and I want so badly to say yes. But I'm starting to get freaked out based on further examination. My goal isn't to get into Tulane (not that it would be bad...), but to get into a Texas med school, preferably Baylor or UT-H, considering my future husband will be working there for the next twenty years. As a Texas resident I'll be applying through TMDSAS. Yeah, I'll be applying to Tulane, but my big hopes are for Texas. But I've heard a lot of stuff lately about how ACP is pretty much only good for getting into Tulane... I'm praying that can't be true. Ex-ACPers, do you know anyone who got into a non-Tulane med school, preferably in Texas?

Also, considering I live waaaaaaaay far away, I'm opting for Deming housing for simple ease.... but DAMN are those people hard to get a hold of. Has anybody lived in Deming who can answer some questions?

How does getting into Tulane work exactly? Do I start the application now for this upcoming cycle and then update the adcom with my ACP stats come December or do I apply after completion of ACP?

Also, considering I live waaaaaaaay far away, I'm opting for Deming housing for simple ease.... but DAMN are those people hard to get a hold of. Has anybody lived in Deming who can answer some questions?

I'm not from the area, and I stayed at Deming for an interview in the fall, and it was fine so I assumed I'd just live there for the ACP program. But I contacted Deming today, and apparently they have no short-term rooms until August!!

I looked into the uptown dorms (which are furnished like Deming), and they're about the same prices at Deming, but they only have doubles left for the summer. And it is also a 25 minute shuttle ride to the medical campus...

Has anybody found any good housing options that are not that far from the med campus and not significantly more expensive than Deming? I pretty much need a furnished room since I'm not from the area.

yeah for Deming i just sent in the damn $500 deposit and application for the Fall. They dont even know what theyre going to have available in the fall. Ive been checking craigslist, and damn is housing expensive for one bedroom apt/studio.