Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be the dork-ass who starts this thread. Who's coming to Tulane next year? :) (I can almost say "this year!" Freaky...)

I am going to Tulane and couldn't be more excited. I didn't think I had a shot in hell but for some reason, they took me. Where are you all thinking of living? I hear the Garden district is nice, and near the Uptown campus... I really don't know anything about NOLA neighborhoods though, since everytime I've been there, I've stayed in the French Quarter :)

I can't wait to hear from some of my future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

i guess i'll be the first the first dork to reply

I go to Tulane undergrad, and i live uptown right near the main campus. Uptown is a nice area and there are more and cheaper living options here than downtown. Garden district is nice also, closer to downtown, had a friend jus buy a place there, haven't seen it yet. neighborhoods in new orleans are weird, one street will be fine and the next block or the next street over will be a little junky. If you think a place looks shady it proally is, i guess try and talk to people in the area to see if how they like their living situation.

I go to Tulane undergrad, and i live uptown right near the main campus. Uptown is a nice area and there are more and cheaper living options here than downtown. Garden district is nice also, closer to downtown, had a friend jus buy a place there, haven't seen it yet. neighborhoods in new orleans are weird, one street will be fine and the next block or the next street over will be a little junky. If you think a place looks shady it proally is, i guess try and talk to people in the area to see if/how they like their living situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
vikaskoth said:
first and second dork! :laugh: :laugh: gotta love those double-posts!

hey, I'll be the first dork to reply. I'm a tulane undergrad and i live right off campus, uptown. Lots of students live uptown, and there are a variety of places to live, shotgun's, apts, split houses. Last year i lived in an apt uptown about 1 mile from campus but it happened that the block i lived on wasn't very nice, but if you went two blocks away in other directions the area was fine. This happens all over new orleans so uptown has its bad spots and good one as does garden district and other areas of new orleans.

ok sorry for the multiple posts, after hitting the post button it kept saying page unavailable, so i didnt know if it went through or not

Click on Edit on the right hand side lower corner
on the top, "delete message" . you dont need to write a reason for deleting it. select delete and "click delete msg".

vikaskoth said:
ok sorry for the multiple posts, after hitting the post button it kept saying page unavailable, so i didnt know if it went through or not
no worries, it happens to me, too. that's why i was joking about it ;)

Tulane is what you make of it. I'm part of class 2008. Like many from the forums already know i'm not really happy here, but that's just from many experiences i have had with the school and the city. Some of my best friends at tulane love the school.

As for the city.... since i ama native of new orleans i can say that the garden district is very very expensive. It would be better if you stay in the dorm first year and then find a aprtament somewhere close to the school. Partying is a big thing at tulane so if you arepremed you will have to plan out your time wisely.

As for the crime. It is high. Now everyone says, oh but every city has crime. That's what many of my friends said too before coming to tulane. But they have changed their minds now. Even though the campus is located in a good part of town there is still a crime every night. Every day you see a new yellow flyer posted in the elevators, etc... stating how a tulane/newcomb college student was robbed at gun point or how a tulane kid was hit on a head with a gun and had blood everywhere. There was even a flyer stating how a group of tulane college students were robbed by two armed men.
The campus is kind of freaky at night to. I'm a guy and i always feel the need to double check to see if there's anyone following me.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want to know the dish about tulane. or need help with class selection.

Thanks hnbui but I was talking about the medical school class. I am a bit worried about all the crime. I am not as worried about the expense of living in a certain area because coming from where I am from (NYC), nothing in NOLA seems expensive to me :) I am looking forward to hearing from more future Tulane med students.

stinkycheese said:
Thanks hnbui but I was talking about the medical school class. I am a bit worried about all the crime. I am not as worried about the expense of living in a certain area because coming from where I am from (NYC), nothing in NOLA seems expensive to me :) I am looking forward to hearing from more future Tulane med students.

oh yeah sorry my bad. :laugh:

I have an interview at Tulane for March 9th. For those who have already interviewed there: what did you like and dislike about the school?

well I interviewed at Tulane on 12/17, and will hear prolly mid-January. Tulane was amazing, and definitely became one of my top choices after the interview. The only thing im concerned about is whether the price is worth it. The school and the students are all great. Clinicals at Tulane have to be some of the best in the country (charity hospital is ridiculous). I had never been to NO before my interivew, but it seemed like a real cool place to live for 4 years and I think it gets a bad rep for being a dirty city. The students were real cool and seemd to love the school. Match list was pretty impressive too.

Good luck on interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, this thread is finally active! :)

I'm pretty sure that I will be at Tulane in the fall. I loved the program and the people there. I also liked what I saw of New Orleans. It seems like everyone I talk to either loves New Orleans and is jealous that I may be living there, or hates it and is horrified that I may subject myself to that lifestyle. Not much grey area in people's minds about this city I guess. Anyway, it's the one and only place I've been accepted thus far, so I figure I don't have much say in the matter right now and it's better to be excited about the move than fearful and dreading the next 4 years of my life.

I'm planning on visiting in March and looking for a house in the Garden District/Uptown. I've been looking a little online, but it's obviously really hard to get a feel for what the neighborhoods are like that way. Anyone out there with any good pointers or resources?

Good luck to those still waiting. :luck:

I have experienced the same thing when telling people that I'm moving to NOLA. Either they think it's the greatest thing ever, or they think it's a filthy dangerous city that will be miserable to live in. But I really don't care. I am sure there are safe areas to be found and that NOLA is going to be a great place to train. I love Tulane and am really psyched to start. I am also going down in March over spring break to look at places in the Garden district and Uptown. I hope to meet up with some current Tulane meds to ask their advice about where to live. If anyone has any pointers on specific areas to look within the garden district or near the undergrad campus, let us know!

When looking for places in new orleans, the Gambit Weekly website has lots of listings, just search on yahoo or google. Also i used Later&Blum realtors, their website has lots of listings that you can tailor your search for certain areas and prices. Prudential Gardner is another bigger realtor in new orleans. There are some smaller local ones, but if you want to look at stuff online i would start by visiting some of these sites.

I will hopefully be trying to do this in march or may...rock on for being able to have time to decide where to live.

Hey Adam, hope it works out for you. Keep us posted. And keep letting Dr. Kahn know of your interest - he really cares about having people in the class who love Tulane!!

adamj61 said:
I will hopefully be trying to do this in march or may...rock on for being able to have time to decide where to live.

if you got into UW and tulane, would you choose tulane over your state school? you have to admit wisconsin is a great school for a great price. tulane is def a great school but at a big financial cost. personally, i think tulane's uniqueness makes up for a lot of that cost

may I have an interview please? :love:

I have an interview on Jan 20, and I was wondering if this is considered late in the game for Tulane...would I still be interviewing for a spot, or is more for a waitlist spot? I'm super excited about my interview, and I hope that it is a chance to actually get in! :D

susan96 said:
I have an interview on Jan 20, and I was wondering if this is considered late in the game for Tulane...would I still be interviewing for a spot, or is more for a waitlist spot? I'm super excited about my interview, and I hope that it is a chance to actually get in! :D

I have heard that they have enough letters of acceptance to fill the class, but not all of those people are necessarily going to end up at Tulane, so I am sure they will be accepting more people as time goes on. It just depends on how much they want to overaccept, and how cautious they want to play it. :) Good luck.

vikaskoth said:
When looking for places in new orleans, the Gambit Weekly website has lots of listings, just search on yahoo or google. Also i used Later&Blum realtors, their website has lots of listings that you can tailor your search for certain areas and prices. Prudential Gardner is another bigger realtor in new orleans. There are some smaller local ones, but if you want to look at stuff online i would start by visiting some of these sites.

Thanks for the tips! :thumbup:

hey there--

i'm a proud incoming member of the class of '09! you go-getters are already looking for housing?? i'm just so thankful to have gotten in that i'm still smoking my celebtratory cigar and doing my happy dance. should i be apartment-shopping already?? if so, what's the best way to start looking around new orleans when you're stuck up in the frigid midwest? thanks!

hey there! I'm not really doing a serious housing search already but am trying to get a feel for the areas that would be good to look in when I go down in march :) My advice if you can't make it to NOLA for awhile is to just get the advice of someone from the area that you trust. I hope this spring semester goes fast, because I am ready to staaaaarrrrrtttttttt....

gotigers said:
hey there--

i'm a proud incoming member of the class of '09! you go-getters are already looking for housing?? i'm just so thankful to have gotten in that i'm still smoking my celebtratory cigar and doing my happy dance. should i be apartment-shopping already?? if so, what's the best way to start looking around new orleans when you're stuck up in the frigid midwest? thanks!

Definitely still doing my happy dance as well! :)

I don't think you *need* to be looking for housing yet. To be honest, I'm currently just using it as a fun way to kill time at work ;)

I'm planning on moving early summer (my lease here is up in June, so that would be the latest), so I figured that March would be a good time to start. If you're not moving until later in the summer, you probably don't have to think about it yet.

Then again, if I were currently frozen somewhere in the midwest, I might just pack up and move to NOLA right now.... :laugh:

Hey you guys-- what is the match list, and list for percentage of Tulane U SoM grads who get their #1/#2 choice for residency? Is there some online resource that allows one to compare medschools in terms of residency matching/percentages? Please hep me!

I gotta tell ya, I love Tulane too, and have been lucky enough to be accepted. The price is the only part I flinch at.

For all going in for an interview soon-- all I can say is be honest about your excitement and love for the school, if you do indeed click with it. More than for any other program, Tulane's Administration seems responsive to people who really love the school, city and program. And good luck! :luck: :luck:

There is a link to Tulane's 2004 match list on this site: www.som.tulane.edu/studentaffairs

That's all the info I have. It's my understanding that the schools no longer receive the information on what percentage of their students get which numerical choice for the match, so I think any stats that are thrown around about this are at least 3 years old anyway.

Benign_foodtube said:
For all going in for an interview soon-- all I can say is be honest about your excitement and love for the school, if you do indeed click with it. More than for any other program, Tulane's Administration seems responsive to people who really love the school, city and program. And good luck! :luck: :luck:

BIG Ditto! I imagine expressing this interest will also be what moves people off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Howdy y'all...

Kudos to my future classmates! We are in for an unforgettable 4+ years... I hope I don't fail out from having too much fun down there, but hey, if we can conquer New Orleans, then I reckon we can accomplish anything! :)

I actually was accepted last year, but deferred so that I could pursue a couple of my life-long dreams before busting my ass for the next few years.

Any of y'all want to be roommates? I want to live in a loft, or some place with a balcony/patio.

I'm really messy and have pets, so I am not a good roommate, but I *would* be interested in living in the same building as some other med students. I figure if a bunch of people want to get studios or one-beds and we find an apartment building that has a lot of vacancies for the fall, we can make a little unofficial "dorm", but with more privacy and space and a better location than deming :)

That sounds like a great idea, actually. I don't know how good a housemate I am either, but gettin a bunch of rooms somewhere in an apartment complex to have the ole unofficial dorm/co op sounds like a great plan. Is the French Quarter outta the question because of prices? Even if on the periphery, the French Quarter is such a fantastic place to live. :cool: :thumbup:

Also-- are any of y'all thinking about going down in April/May instead, and doing the MD/MPH thing? An MD/MPH in four years sounds like a pretty sweet gig. What with what's goin down in Asia right now, it seems painfully obvious how increasingly important public health is becoming.

Hey there people! I don't know much about the French Quarter other than the fact that I really like those shops with the alcoholic slushies :) As for living there, I don't know - everyone seems to really rave about living in the Garden district in terms of convenience and safety. We should really compare and get some more native New Orleans people into this thread so we can pick their brains. Hope you all had a good new year!

I'm thinking about doing the MD/MPH too. Anybody currently doing this option at Tulane who cares to comment? My main concern is that taking an extra class every semester will be a hassle and that I will want to use my summer between 1st and 2nd years for something other than classes. I'm going to be in N.O. in May and the summer classes don't look so bad (most of them seem to run only for the month of June, according to last summer's MPH schedule), but I just know I will feel differently about spending my summer free time in classes after completing a year of med school classes and not having any free time to travel etc. Plus, stats was my least favorite class undergrad, I don't know if I can stomach taking it again :(

Anyway, I don't know about living in the French Quarter, I think that may be a little too much for me...I'm hoping to have a little house with a fenced area for my dog, and I think I may have a better shot at that Uptown. I'm coming with roommates allready (husband and dog :p ) but I think stinkycheese's idea of trying to get a bunch of us in the same building/neighborhood would be great. :thumbup:

And Happy New Year everyone!

My reservations about the MD/MPH are similar to Davina's. I want to spend the summer b/w my first and second year doing research or clinical work -- not taking more classes :) I also really like Tulane's commitment to early clinical education and want to spend any free time I have (as if I am going to have free time :) ) doing clinical electives. But I admire all of those who are doing the MPH. It's very cool to be able to get both degrees in four years.

Like I said before... I would love to get a bunch of us in the same neighborhood or building. Let's all keep in touch! I am going down in March to look around... woohoo!

Hey Guys - c/o 2009 here. I was hanging out with some students after my interview, and was taken to a really amazing apartment complex with a pool! I heard that it was only $50 a month more than living in Deming - so THAT is where I am planning on living (I'll post the name of the complex once I get it - I'll have to call the guy back).

And one more thing - as far as Tulane and the price. The plan right now is still to go to Tulane (seeing as my interview at UAB is in a few weeks..) because of this: average MCAT 31, average GPA 3.5. MCAT is high, GPA is low. Why is that? My theory: After my interview, I was drinking at a bar at 3pm on a Thursday with a couple current med students. It was a freakin' week day and the afternoon. These kids are partiers! Hence the lower undergraduate GPA. So I'm sticking with Tulane despite the price, because I want to have fun dammit. I think that Tulane is about as fun as medical school gets.
-Camille

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Yes, please keep us posted as to what the name of that apt complex is. That sounds perty good... Where is it located? French Quarter? Garden District? Please give a hollar whenever you find out about it.

I dunno if anyone else is going down there before March, but if not, you gotta scope that one out, Stinkycheese, and let us know how it is up close and personal.

Thanks for the 411 on that, Camille!

clinick said:
The plan right now is still to go to Tulane (seeing as my interview at UAB is in a few weeks..) because of this: average MCAT 31, average GPA 3.5. MCAT is high, GPA is low. Why is that? My theory: After my interview, I was drinking at a bar at 3pm on a Thursday with a couple current med students. It was a freakin' week day and the afternoon. These kids are partiers! Hence the lower undergraduate GPA. So I'm sticking with Tulane despite the price, because I want to have fun dammit. I think that Tulane is about as fun as medical school gets.
-Camille

Yes, partying + laid back attitude about life = lower undergraduate GPA. I think mine would have been at least 0.3 higher (I'm a <3.5-er) if I didn't have so many undergrad nights spent with jose cuervo and friends. But then I wouldnt' have so many fond memories (and I'll admit it, non-memories too :p ) of the experience. I'm definitely attracted to Tulane b/c the students there seem to be this way as well.

Hope you decide on Tulane Camille :)

Hell yeah guys, I am down for that apartment complex! If Camille posts the address I will most certainly be checkin the place out in March :) I will probably be able to take pictures too, so I'll post those here.

I also really like the laid-back attitude of the students at Tulane. I need to go to a place where people aren't constantly stress balls! I think I found a good one in Tulane :)

Hey guys,

I'm a T1 here at Tulane and wouldn't mind clearing up any questions ya'll have about the area/school/whatever.

Here's some jewels about housing:
I live uptown on St. Charles Ave. and a ton of our class lives uptown too. Personally, I would not live anywhere else b/c it is a part of the city that has a ton of culture. The best thing to do is to just come down here and pick up a newspaper or a gambit weekly (you can get this off the web) and take a look at all the places. I think ya'll may have been referring to the Saulet earlier which a few people live in. It is sort of a ready made and furnished place that is quite close to school. It reminds me of the big apartment complexes that was all over my undergrad. The apartments uptown (not the saulet which is in the werehouse district) can get pretty nice with high ceilings and traditional wood floors for a pretty decent price. They are mostly homes that have been broken up into separate apartments.
As far as safety, you have to be careful to check out the streets around the apartments you look at b/c new orleans is famous for having million dollar homes on one street and a bad neighborhood on the next.
Anyways, if ya'll have any questions shoot.

bbawco1 said:
Hey guys,

I'm a T1 here at Tulane and wouldn't mind clearing up any questions ya'll have about the area/school/whatever.

Here's some jewels about housing:
I live uptown on St. Charles Ave. and a ton of our class lives uptown too. Personally, I would not live anywhere else b/c it is a part of the city that has a ton of culture. The best thing to do is to just come down here and pick up a newspaper or a gambit weekly (you can get this off the web) and take a look at all the places. I think ya'll may have been referring to the Saulet earlier which a few people live in. It is sort of a ready made and furnished place that is quite close to school. It reminds me of the big apartment complexes that was all over my undergrad. The apartments uptown (not the saulet which is in the werehouse district) can get pretty nice with high ceilings and traditional wood floors for a pretty decent price. They are mostly homes that have been broken up into separate apartments.
As far as safety, you have to be careful to check out the streets around the apartments you look at b/c new orleans is famous for having million dollar homes on one street and a bad neighborhood on the next.
Anyways, if ya'll have any questions shoot.

Thanks for the advice bbawco1. Which part of St. Charles do you think is better to live around? I've been focusing on the end close to Tulane's undergrad campus...is there good housing to be found in the other direction as well?

Do you have any inside information on the new facilities classes may be held in next year? Any thoughts on the MD/MPH program?

Thanks!

here's a question that can basically be translated as: "how soon can i quit my ****ty job without feeling guilty..."
what's a respectable time to move down to NO before actually starting school? when do leases generally begin down there? come on now, i can't be the only one working at a sub shop counting the days...

This is an old topic, but I have an interview at Tulane next week and I was wondering if someone can tell me what is unique about Tulane or why you decided to attend Tulane.

gotigers said:
here's a question that can basically be translated as: "how soon can i quit my ****ty job without feeling guilty..."

:laugh: I love it! This is exactly what I am trying to figure out. If I had known that I was going to be accepted in October, I never would have taken this job....sigh....hindsight :rolleyes:

NomadGL said:
This is an old topic, but I have an interview at Tulane next week and I was wondering if someone can tell me what is unique about Tulane or why you decided to attend Tulane.

Congrats on your interview! The one and only thing I spoke about during my interview regarding why I wanted to come to Tulane was that I had heard great things about the students and the general atmosphere there (I used some wonderful adjectives here, that have since slipped my mind). I also mentioned that I had spent some time in New Orleans and liked the city. If you are truly excited about Tulane and want to end up there, let them know. There are obviously unique opportunities to be had at Charity and Tulane's Tropical Medicine program as well if you are looking for something more concrete.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey Guys - the apartment complex I was talking about was in fact, the Saulet. It looked awesome, and the apartment I was in seemed really nice.

And for the person with the upcoming interivew: I think what made Tulane unique was that everyone seemed happy to be there.

Thanks to all for keeping the housing forum issues alive-- I think we all appreciate the housing 411 and offers to scope stuff out in person. I think the informal dorm idea is freegin awesome.

As for the job thing, this is how you quit it: F#ck'em, that's how. Unless you are in that rare position of having a compassionate and caring boss/manager/supervisor/team, then it is not a sticky situation. My managers, for example, would have no problem using me for their own ends and comfort, to be a tool of the machine, or mandate me for an extra 8hrs after an 8 hour ER shift, becuase they themselves do not want to work. You shouldn't feel bad for looking out for your own personal/mental space and well-being, and I think being a little selfish with the last lil bit of time you have before the maelstrom of medschool is completely warranted. If you do however have a gentle-spirited boss or someone who really stuck their neck out for you to get you the job, anticipating your presence there until summer, then just take some extra time to explain your situation, apologize, and express gratitude.

Or maybe I'm just an @sshole. Hmmm... I wouldn't put it past me.

Anyway, good luck with it. :)

I'm interviewing on the 20th as well! Is the general consensus that the class is filled or do we still have a shot? If you think the former is correct, what's that based on?

cheers,

dope