Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aegis said:
Hey what do you guys think about laptops? I don't have one now and I'm debating if I will need one in med school. Since alot of stuff is online at tulane I thought it migtht be a good idea, like if I was studying in some coffee house or something. I know they are probobly a cool thing to have anyway, but I'm just debating if I really need it.

I'm definitely planning on getting a laptop to lug around to the library, etc. I already have a 17" Powerbook now, but it's not exactly ideal for casually carrying around.

I'm thinking about an iBook or a smaller Powerbook for sure... and using the educational discount (through the Apple Store) will certainly help.

Members don't see this ad.

dopaminophile said:
Well Tulane is officially full. I just interviewed on Thursday and this comes from multiple adcom members mouths. So, all interviews at Tulane from this point on are for waitlist spots.

damn.

-dope-

That's so depressing.

akpete said:
That's so depressing.
I really don't want to bash the school too much in the acceptees' thread, but I'm actually not as depressed as I thought I would be. I just wasn't as impressed with Tulane or New Orleans as I'd hoped.

all the best,

-dope-

Members don't see this ad :)
dopaminophile said:
I really don't want to bash the school too much in the acceptees' thread, but I'm actually not as depressed as I thought I would be. I just wasn't as impressed with Tulane or New Orleans as I'd hoped.

all the best,

-dope-

Good, then it works out all the way around. Maybe you should take the talk elsewhere, though, if you want to discuss how you didn't like Tulane, since this thread is for the incoming class. Thanks.

stinkycheese said:
Good, then it works out all the way around. Maybe you should take the talk elsewhere, though, if you want to discuss how you didn't like Tulane, since this thread is for the incoming class. Thanks.
Just trying to ease the blow... didn't mean to offend.

dopaminophile said:
Just trying to ease the blow... didn't mean to offend.

No offense taken, just trying to keep this thread on course for the incoming class at Tulane. Thanks.

So now that they're accepting for the waitlist, should I save my 400 dollars and decline my 3/18 interview?

indo said:
So now that they're accepting for the waitlist, should I save my 400 dollars and decline my 3/18 interview?
That's up to you. It's certainly not my intention to prevent anybody from going ahead with their application. I just wish I had known that before I used up a FF ticket and 200 on other expenses. If I had known what I know now, I wouldn't have gone.

all the best...

-dope-

I recommend to anyone looking for a place to look at Latter&Blum.com. They have a lot of rentals and are basically the people to go to for real estate in New Orleans. I also just want to add that if you have even the slightest intrest in Emergency Med. then don't pass up Tulane. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who are already accepted.

indo said:

I'm still gonna go to my 3/17 interview. I really like the school (so far anyway), and you never know what might happen. I've only got 2 other schools that I'm either interviewing at soon or waiting for a decision, so I'm taking every opportunity I get. I'm just gonna go down there and do the best interview I can and see where the cards lie. Good luck with your decision Indo. :luck:

Squashua said:
I'm definitely planning on getting a laptop to lug around to the library, etc. I already have a 17" Powerbook now, but it's not exactly ideal for casually carrying around.

I'm thinking about an iBook or a smaller Powerbook for sure... and using the educational discount (through the Apple Store) will certainly help.

What is this educational discount you speak of? Is it only for your silly apples

Apple offers discounts for all students, but Tulane may have contracts with PC makers as well. Call them and ask! You might be able to get a discounted IBM or Dell or something. :) I myself am part of Mac Nation, so I will be going through my current university's Apple contract, but I understand that many people like the PC's. I would call Admissions and ask how to get a discounted laptop.

stinkycheese said:
Apple offers discounts for all students, but Tulane may have contracts with PC makers as well. Call them and ask! You might be able to get a discounted IBM or Dell or something. :) I myself am part of Mac Nation, so I will be going through my current university's Apple contract, but I understand that many people like the PC's. I would call Admissions and ask how to get a discounted laptop.

hey, i just got a new dell desktop using the tulane discount. They have links to dell and apple that have discounts. And links to two computer sites that have pre-built computers offers. I think any rising or present tulane student can take advantage of them. I'm not sure if the med school has separate computer deals worked out with anyone. Check the site i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
akpete said:
I'm still gonna go to my 3/17 interview. I really like the school (so far anyway), and you never know what might happen. I've only got 2 other schools that I'm either interviewing at soon or waiting for a decision, so I'm taking every opportunity I get. I'm just gonna go down there and do the best interview I can and see where the cards lie. Good luck with your decision Indo. :luck:

I'm going to go too. I've decided that I will be accepted to Tulane off of the waitlist. It is my only interview thus far and I am going to assume it will be my only interview this year.

I'll see you there! I'll be the guy looking nervous yet handsome in a dark colored suit.

PS. My lucky underwear happen to be hunter green.

indo said:
I'm going to go too. I've decided that I will be accepted to Tulane off of the waitlist.

That's the attitude!!! :thumbup: Good luck :luck:

indo said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

indo said:
I'm going to go too. I've decided that I will be accepted to Tulane off of the waitlist. It is my only interview thus far and I am going to assume it will be my only interview this year.

I'll see you there! I'll be the guy looking nervous yet handsome in a dark colored suit.

Hey Indo my brotha,

It sounds like yer into Tulane quite a bit. More than any other school, Tulane is receptive to unique students, students of different backgrounds, students enthusiastic about Tulane, and students who have much to offer the student body culturally or whom look forward to the student body's unique outlook and diversity. So, what I'm sayin here, man, is DON'T PULL YER PUNCHES> Get in there like swimwear, be enthusiatic as you can be, tell them how you feel about the school and the city. I'm sure yer gunna get in off the waitlist man! Don't try to hide who you are, be yerself unashamed and unabashed, and you will find a receptive ear and heart.

Kick some @ss brotha!

-BFT

To the entering class...

FYI, I just received the Financial Aid package in the mail yesterday (1/24). It includes a hard copy FAFSA and lots of information to go over. A little overwhelming, but certainly glad to start working on it...

I checked out that dell link on the tulane website, it really is a pretty nice deal. I think its like a 12% discount. The only way I can figure to get to it is go to the the normal tulane.edu site and search for dell. They give you a member code that you can use. It seems like anyone that can get to the site would be able to use the discount. So it begs the question whats to stop anyone from using it. Or stop us from using another universitys discount. I'm gonna search some other med school sites just for kicks.

I would imagine that tulane gets a list of people who purchase using the discount, and then checks it against their student list. Surprising that the access code is so... accessible! :laugh: I can't wait to get a new laptop for school. I'm going to hold out as long as possible so that I can figure out what I really want.

FYI, my sister who is currently on residency interviews met a Tulane student on the interview trail. The Tulane person was really enthusiastic and friendly when my sister told him that I was going there. Just one more affirmation that this is a cool school :)

stinkycheese said:
I would imagine that tulane gets a list of people who purchase using the discount, and then checks it against their student list. Surprising that the access code is so... accessible! :laugh: I can't wait to get a new laptop for school. I'm going to hold out as long as possible so that I can figure out what I really want.

yea, after i ordered my computer, i thought it was interesting how easily accesible the code is also. Since i've ordered it I haven't had any other contact with dell or the computer dept here trying to confirm if i'm a student.

Congrats, everyone! I didn't realize there was a Tulane acceptance thread! :) I'm deciding between LSU N.O. and Tulane (because of the price difference). Is anyone else having this problem with their state school? Tulane is pricey, but I loved going to a private school for undergrad. Is Tulane worth the cost?

I'm originally from New Orleans (just left for undergrad and grad school), so please let me know if you have any questions about moving here. It's actually a safe city if you know where you're going. I've never even known anyone who has been robbed, mugged, etc.

During my interview, the tour guide and student interviewer both lived at Deming. Is it nice?

eckertle said:
During my interview, the tour guide and student interviewer both lived at Deming. Is it nice?

I would live elsewhwere. Deming was very...sterile. It's convenient, sure. But in a city full of character like New Orelans, why go sterile when it is so expensive?

Talking with the students, it seemed most people lived uptown. There was one very popular complex with the med students, but I can't place the name.

eckertle said:
Congrats, everyone! I didn't realize there was a Tulane acceptance thread! :) I'm deciding between LSU N.O. and Tulane (because of the price difference). Is anyone else having this problem with their state school? Tulane is pricey, but I loved going to a private school for undergrad. Is Tulane worth the cost?

I'm originally from New Orleans (just left for undergrad and grad school), so please let me know if you have any questions about moving here. It's actually a safe city if you know where you're going. I've never even known anyone who has been robbed, mugged, etc.

hey, i'm going to my lsu-no intvw monday. I wanted to stay in NO for school so i cancelled any other interviews. The money is a pretty big diff but I really like Tulane and i think i would enjoy myself and succeed at the same time. I had the comfort of my mom tellin me that i can go wherever i want, and just see where i would like to go the most.

Does anyone know anything about the new building we are supposed to get for the fall? I know its supposed to be pretty nice, and that it over looks the superdome, but thats about it. I just wondered if anyone was able to get a hold of any pics or blueprints.

aegis said:
Does anyone know anything about the new building we are supposed to get for the fall? I know its supposed to be pretty nice, and that it over looks the superdome, but thats about it. I just wondered if anyone was able to get a hold of any pics or blueprints.

There's a link to a picture somewhere on one of the pages of this thread (I posted it, if that helps). Or you can go to google and search for 1555 Poydras St. You have to click on the subcategory "images" to get the picture. :thumbup:

8 degrees in MI yesterday. 70 in NO. is it july yet?

brrrrrrr

gotigers said:
8 degrees in MI yesterday. 70 in NO. is it july yet?

brrrrrrr

hahaha, when we move down there in July is probobly the time you are gonna be wishing your back in Mi. I've heard some horror stories about the heat down there in the summer. Do you go to school in Mi? I go to Grand Valley.

aegis said:
hahaha, when we move down there in July is probobly the time you are gonna be wishing your back in Mi. I've heard some horror stories about the heat down there in the summer. Do you go to school in Mi? I go to Grand Valley.

I'm at Tulane as an undergrad, and July will be brutal, but once October hits and it is still beautiful out you'll be happy :) It is beautiful here right now!!

the heat in july and summertime blows, but there are plenty of times during the year where the weather is very nice, This day after christmas it was in the 60's and 70's, it really only gets cold 30-40 for one or two weeks max, and then the occasional cold front will bring a few days of cold weather. The spring and fall are generally pretty nice around here. Although in Louisiana the weather is never predictable.

eckertle said:
Is Tulane worth the cost?
Tuition and fees at Tulane are about $30,000/year. Room and board will cost around $10,000 - $15,000/year. It's going to cost some major money to go to school there for four years! How is everyone planning to pay for it? Does Tulane give out a lot of scholarships and grants, or does everyone take out loans?

MechE said:
Tuition and fees at Tulane are about $30,000/year. Room and board will cost around $10,000 - $15,000/year. It's going to cost some major money to go to school there for four years! How is everyone planning to pay for it? Does Tulane give out a lot of scholarships and grants, or does everyone take out loans?

Everyone keeps talking about how expensive Tulane is. Sure 30k a year is a lot of $$, but I went on three other interviews and every school was in the same price range, and two of them were in state! So what is considered a fair price? It just seems like the majority of med schools will put you 200k in debt no matter how you play your cards.. Unless you sell your soul to the Air Force like I did.

aegis said:
Everyone keeps talking about how expensive Tulane is. Sure 30k a year is a lot of $$, but I went on three other interviews and every school was in the same price range, and two of them were in state! So what is considered a fair price? It just seems like the majority of med schools will put you 200k in debt no matter how you play your cards.. Unless you sell your soul to the Air Force like I did.

The thing is, Tulane is a great deal more expensive if you consider the other medical schools in Louisiana. Tulane's tuition and fee cost approaches $39,000 a year (http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/som_faq_cost.htm). That's about three times as much as LSU Shreveport and LSU New Orleans, which both cost around $13,000 a year in tuition/fees alone (http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/admissions/aid.asp ; http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/for_accepted_students.html).

As a person who was born and raised in New Orleans, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tulane. Certainly, one can argue that Tulane is well worth the cost of attendance. I'm sure that Tulane hands out plenty of scholarships and financial aid opportunities. And of course, one could always get a scholarship though HPSP or another program. But it's also clear that Tulane packs a significant financial wallop compared to the LSUs.

jh12 said:
The thing is, Tulane is a great deal more expensive if you consider the other medical schools in Louisiana. Tulane's tuition and fee cost approaches $39,000 a year (http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/som_faq_cost.htm). That's about three times as much as LSU Shreveport and LSU New Orleans, which both cost around $13,000 a year in tuition/fees alone (http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/admissions/aid.asp ; http://www.admissions.lsuhsc.edu/for_accepted_students.html).

As a person who was born and raised in New Orleans, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tulane. Certainly, one can argue that Tulane is well worth the cost of attendance. I'm sure that Tulane hands out plenty of scholarships and financial aid opportunities. And of course, one could always get a scholarship though HPSP or another program. But it's also clear that Tulane packs a significant financial wallop compared to the LSUs.

That's true for any private v. public school, though, so its not unique to Tulane. People always say how expensive Tulane is, but its not more expensive than most other private schools, which I think is our point.

Tufts is more expensive than tulane plus Boston's cost of living is higher, from what I've read.

stinkycheese said:
So I'll be the dork-ass who starts this thread. Who's coming to Tulane next year? :) (I can almost say "this year!" Freaky...)

I am going to Tulane and couldn't be more excited. I didn't think I had a shot in hell but for some reason, they took me. Where are you all thinking of living? I hear the Garden district is nice, and near the Uptown campus... I really don't know anything about NOLA neighborhoods though, since everytime I've been there, I've stayed in the French Quarter :)

I can't wait to hear from some of my future classmates!

i'll be there! i think -- deciding between tulane (which i loved :love: ) and ridiculously cheap state school (even though a little too close for comfort to parents, i.e. 6 miles) is becoming a very stressful decision...but we're cheering for tulane!

all the students i talked on my interview day told me to live off campus..but my big issue with that is driving around new orleans. the no-left-handed turn thing is really going to cramp my style..

but anyways. cross fingers that my parents will come to their senses and send me far far away! :D

stinkycheese said:
That's true for any private v. public school, though, so its not unique to Tulane. People always say how expensive Tulane is, but its not more expensive than most other private schools, which I think is our point.
The point of the question was: How is everyone going to pay for Tulane? If I go there next fall I think it would have to be all loans. Unless they give me a scholarship...

Hi everyone! So I've gotta book my hotel for my Tulane interview in March (3/17). My roommate and I are roadtripping it down there, and we plan on staying for a few nights. What hotel would you recommend? Something not too expensive, but still nice. Also, what touristy stuff should we do while we're there? What's a "can't be in town and miss this"? Oh, and what's the weather like in NO in March? Thanks for all your help in advance!! :D

akpete said:
Hi everyone! So I've gotta book my hotel for my Tulane interview in March (3/17). My roommate and I are roadtripping it down there, and we plan on staying for a few nights. What hotel would you recommend? Something not too expensive, but still nice. Also, what touristy stuff should we do while we're there? What's a "can't be in town and miss this"? Oh, and what's the weather like in NO in March? Thanks for all your help in advance!! :D
I stayed at the Holiday Inn that's on the list Tulane gives you (330 Loyola I think). It's between Tulane and the French Quarter and walking distance to both. With Tulane's discount you can stay there for $99/night as I recall. It's pretty nice with a good view if you stay on one of the upper floors.

have fun,

-dope-

thanks Dope. anyone else?

bump.

akpete said:
thanks Dope. anyone else?

bump.

I stayed at a place that was right next to the school, I mean it took me a total of maybe two minutes to walk there. I think it was called the park plaza or something like that, formally the radisson. It was pretty cheap if you use the Tulane discount I think it was about $85 a night. It's on that sheet of hotels that they send you. I liked it because I could wake up a little later and just walk over there with no worries about traffic... But Good luck, oh and let me give you one good tip. Before you break off from all the other applicants for your interviews Dr. Kahn comes into the conference room and has a little Q&A session with everyone (hes the dean). Read through the handbook that is online and write down some questions so you sound prepared, otherwise there tends to be an awkward silence. It was my luck that I was asking a bunch of questions and my first interview just happened to be with him, so its like we had already been talking.

aegis said:
Before you break off from all the other applicants for your interviews Dr. Kahn comes into the conference room and has a little Q&A session with everyone (hes the dean). Read through the handbook that is online and write down some questions so you sound prepared, otherwise there tends to be an awkward silence. It was my luck that I was asking a bunch of questions and my first interview just happened to be with him, so its like we had already been talking.
Thanks for the advice.

So, I just received an interview invite for March 10th.
Question 1: Am I interviewing for the waitlist?
Question 2: I'm moving to Jackson Hole, WY for a few months, and I leave mid-Feb. I'm driving and will be swinging through New Orleans for a night to visit a friend...was anyone able to change their interview date? Should I just ask if I can interview when I am in the area?

DeaconMD04 said:
Question 2: I'm moving to Jackson Hole, WY for a few months, and I leave mid-Feb. I'm driving and will be swinging through New Orleans for a night to visit a friend...was anyone able to change their interview date? Should I just ask if I can interview when I am in the area?

there have been previous posts in this thread stating that Tulane's class is full right now and that they are interviewing for the waitlist, the people that posted this have said they've heard this info from adcom members. This thread has gotten long so you can search through if you want, but i hope this helps

Where any of you, who have already interviewed at Tulane, hosted by a medical student?

DeaconMD04 said:

If you're going to be in New Orleans anyway, you may as well call and see if you can move up your interview, they very well may have a cancellation. Can't hurt as long as you are polite about it and don't mind hearing "No" if they are booked.

There has been much talk about the class being full, etc, etc. I just want to stress that Tulane's waitlist seems to typically have a lot of movement and the movement does not only occur after May 15th (although obviously that is when a lot of it happens). Once you are placed in the "acceptable pool" they will consider moving you out of it whenever there is a spot open. It is completely possible to get an acceptance from them within a "normal" time frame, even if technically their class is "currently full"...don't be discouraged, just do your best at the interview and let them know how you feel about Tulane. One student I talked to at Tulane was placed on the waitlist after her interview in March and was accepted a week later.

Good Luck! :luck:

And I'm SO jealous that you're moving to Jackson Hole! Wish there was a med school there ;)

MechE said:
Where any of you, who have already interviewed at Tulane, hosted by a medical student?

yup. And they were incredibly sweet people. Wonderful experience.

any other hotel advice? Thanks. Oh, and thanks for the tip Aegis :)

akpete said:
any other hotel advice? Thanks. Oh, and thanks for the tip Aegis :)

Naw, not so much, brotha. I stayed in the French Quarter at this lil joint called the Provencal Hotel, but it was kinda expensive, and I had to cab-it to Tulane the morning of my interview. Sorry, blood, wish I had more for you. Just pick somewhere close where you can get some good sleep. Oh-- and don't need to be so conservative for this interview-- I wore my most colorful silliets tie, and got complements on it from each of my interviewers- it had all these different animals on it, playing musical instruments. You can have more fun at this interview than at others, so be yerself and know that that is absolutely good enough.

Cheers! And good luck man!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Benign Foodtube said:
Oh-- and don't need to be so conservative for this interview-- I wore my most colorful silliets tie, and got complements on it from each of my interviewers- it had all these different animals on it, playing musical instruments. You can have more fun at this interview than at others, so be yerself and know that that is absolutely good enough.

Cheers! And good luck man!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Totally true, and I wish I had known this before my interview so that I would have brought comfortable shoes to walk around in instead of heels. One of the girls pulled out her pink slipper-like moccasins around lunchtime! Everyone there is super cool :) Have fun.