Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys!! As for attire, I have a brown suit, so I've already been a little different from anyone else (paired with a bright pink striped shirt). Hmmm...maybe this will be the interview I whip out my pink heels instead of my boring brown shoes. :rolleyes:

As a side note, it kinda stinks that I got my invite in mid-Jan, for an interview 3/17, while people getting invites in the last couple days are being scheduled for 3/10ish. Bunch of people must be cancelling?? Oh well, I can't really move it up anyway - I'm in Cancun 3/6 - 3/13, and too hard to schedule with work earlier than that.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Benign_foodtube said:
Naw, not so much, brotha. I stayed in the French Quarter at this lil joint called the Provencal Hotel, but it was kinda expensive, and I had to cab-it to Tulane the morning of my interview. Sorry, blood, wish I had more for you. Just pick somewhere close where you can get some good sleep. Oh-- and don't need to be so conservative for this interview-- I wore my most colorful silliets tie, and got complements on it from each of my interviewers- it had all these different animals on it, playing musical instruments. You can have more fun at this interview than at others, so be yerself and know that that is absolutely good enough.

Cheers! And good luck man!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

hehe. especially during the student lunch interview. i took off my suit jacket, rolled up my sleeves, and proceeded to talk about all sorts of nonsense with my mouth full of sandwich. it was really just kind of awesome. :D

MechE said:
Where any of you, who have already interviewed at Tulane, hosted by a medical student?

i was! a first year and her roommate (non-tulane) and their dog. they were really nice and so helpful because she walked me right to the admissions office the morning of my interview. i have a feeling i would've been hopelessly lost otherwise. plus ride back to the airport and a bit of sightseeing in new orleans. i highly recommend this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys...good luck with everything!

My tuition outline arrived last week. Although Tulane amounts to approx. $54,000 (that's the average loan given) per year, it's not more expensive than other private schools. Basic tuition is $37,000. Damn those books, lab fees, and living expenses! Let's hope that we all get amazing scholarships!
:)
I just wish that Tulane was the price of a state school.

If you're looking for a place to stay in New Orleans, check out www.hotels.com. Southwest.com usually has specials ("Special Offers" then "Hotel Specials") as well.

Does anyone know where I can find a recent match list for Tulane?

MechE said:
Does anyone know where I can find a recent match list for Tulane?

I've posted a link to it before on this thread. Check the earlier pages. Or you can go to www.som.tulane.edu click the link for "students" then click on "student affairs" and you should see the link to last year's match list. :thumbup:

Wahhh...so in the mail today, I received the letter informing me that I'm on the waitlist :( I guess it's time to get working on that loi, huh? :( I can't send them an update, because I have not started anything new!! I'm trying to finish things up so I can move out soon, grrr...so much for improving my application haha

susan96 said:
Wahhh...so in the mail today, I received the letter informing me that I'm on the waitlist :( I guess it's time to get working on that loi, huh? :( I can't send them an update, because I have not started anything new!! I'm trying to finish things up so I can move out soon, grrr...so much for improving my application haha
I'm in the same boat as you (got it last weekend) and looking to send that loi also. Good luck with it.

My student interviewer toldme that she had been on the waitlist and that sending a letter really helps. So it's the best thing to do if you are seriously interested in Tulane. Good luck!

Hey Guys - I haven't posted in a while b/c I was seriously thinking about going to UAB, but I decided to attend Tulane Med next year (and am really excited about it!). I'm looking for a roommate, and I definitly want to live in The Saulet. Seth Cohen, a current T2, took me to it during my interview, and it was amazing (pool, fitness facilities, fully furnished apartments, etc.). It is very reasonably priced (but coming from a Boston burb, almost anything seems reasonably priced). I hear the apartments are not exactly easy to get, so that's why I'm looking into it now. If anyone is interested, instant message me (Camaryllis) or message me through SDN, and we can talk about how compatable we might be. You can also look at the apartments they have at the Saulet online (I just googled it).

And yeaaah, that financial aid package - VERY intimidating. I took out loans for undergrad... I guess I'm just takin' out more!

Hey, do you know if the Saulet also has unfurnished places for those of us who want to use our own furniture? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
no clue, I'm sure you can find it on their website.

CoffeeCat said:
Happy Mardi Gras :D

Woohoo! Happy Mardi Gras! I took a cab home tonight... Must needs sleep.Much to give up on the morrow. A good and safe night to all. Can't wait to kiggit withy y'all, to all my future classmates; good luck to all the prospies; and be well, to all y'all!

I just got a thing in the mail to apply for the masters program. There was also a sheet that the med school wanted me to sign that would release all of my grades and letters or rec to the school of public health. It also said to apply online. So I applied online but they want to know all about my letters. Does anyone know if you have to fill all of this out if the med school is just forwarding your letters anyway. I'm gonna just call and ask. I'll probobly be a dork and reply to my own message.

stinkycheese said:
Hey, do you know if the Saulet also has unfurnished places for those of us who want to use our own furniture? :)

I stayed with a friends at the Saulet during my interview and they have an unfurnished unit. Although they also said the Saulet is one of the most expensive places around, but it was pretty sweet. They told me there were alot of med students, and law students that lived there. I worked out at the gym there and it was pretty nice, not top notch, but good enough. They told me the pool is alot of fun when its nice because everyone hangs out there and most people that live there are grad students I guess. I'm gonna for sure check it out when I go down there in march

aegis said:
I stayed with a friends at the Saulet during my interview and they have an unfurnished unit. Although they also said the Saulet is one of the most expensive places around, but it was pretty sweet. They told me there were alot of med students, and law students that lived there. I worked out at the gym there and it was pretty nice, not top notch, but good enough. They told me the pool is alot of fun when its nice because everyone hangs out there and most people that live there are grad students I guess. I'm gonna for sure check it out when I go down there in march

More apartments... http://www.hrihci.com/neworprop.html
I talked to a few people about the Cotton Mill Apartments, where a bunch of med students also live. Gravier Place is also pretty popular.

what's with the $750+ per month rents??? what kind of loans are these students taking out that affords them such luxuries? looks like i'll be sleeping in the streets with my stethescope and a box of ramen noodles...

aegis said:
It was pretty cheap if you use the Tulane discount I think it was about $85 a night. It's on that sheet of hotels that they send you. I liked it because I could wake up a little later and just walk over there with no worries about traffic...

Man, I love Priceline! I stayed at the Hyatt right next to the Superdome. It's definitely within walking distance of Tulane Med, but it's going to be maybe 7 or 8 minutes.

Anyway, it was $38 bucks a night.

gotigers said:
what's with the $750+ per month rents??? what kind of loans are these students taking out that affords them such luxuries? looks like i'll be sleeping in the streets with my stethescope and a box of ramen noodles...

See, to me, coming from Boston, these rents seem like a dream come true. Who knew there were places in the world where you could live in a concierge-d highrise one-bedroom plus study for less than $1000? DREAM COME TRUE!!! :) If I were going to school up here, I'd be paying $1000 for a tiny studio in a crappy neighborhood anyway, so this just feels so great to be able to pay the same amount of money for such a great apartment.

gotigers said:

Med students and their debt. Gotta love it. :D

They do know that it's borrowed money, right? And they have heard about interest, right? More power to 'em!

Tulane show me some love!

stinkycheese said:
See, to me, coming from Boston, these rents seem like a dream come true. Who knew there were places in the world where you could live in a concierge-d highrise one-bedroom plus study for less than $1000? DREAM COME TRUE!!! :) If I were going to school up here, I'd be paying $1000 for a tiny studio in a crappy neighborhood anyway, so this just feels so great to be able to pay the same amount of money for such a great apartment.
I’m from Oklahoma where the cost of living is dirt cheap. My 2-bedroom, 1 ½ bath, 1200 sq.ft. townhouse in a pretty nice neighborhood is only $500 a month. So for me and my roommate it’s only $250 a month plus electricity and cable modem . Not too shabby.

I live in Southern MN right now, and our 4-bedroom apartment directly across the street from campus is only $995 a month. So basically, no matter where I go to med school, it's gonna seem super expensive. Although, next year, the apartment I've heard is going for $1200...that's a big jump.

Hi,
I was REALLY interested in Tulane med. I was wondering how much movement there is on the waitlist in year's past? Do a lot of students elect for the cheaper instate schools by the May 15th deadline?
Thanks!

There is supposedly quite a bit of waitlist movement, but the best way to find out would be to search for waitlist threads from the last few years and see. Good luck.

Hey, are any of you crazy cats out there who are accepted to Tulane looking at the Financial Aid addendum that they sent out and realizing that you don't know yer @ss from a hole in the ground? I have my FAFSA off and sent, got my SAR, and made appropriate changes to it, finished my taxes and sent them off, and I'm lighting a fire under my folks to get their info all set so that I can report it.

Now I look at the addendum, and I'm like "I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and I don't know who is a good private lender for me should I need one..." :confused: :scared:

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone out there know what they're doing with this stuff? If so, would you be willing to have a yahoo IM or other type of IM pow-wow to help us sucker-chumps out? I wanna get the addendum done and sent off so I can start the next steps. Plus, I wanna get in there like swimwear if there are any scholarships available. Holla if ya hear me!!

Benign_foodtube said:
Hey, are any of you crazy cats out there who are accepted to Tulane looking at the Financial Aid addendum that they sent out and realizing that you don't know yer @ss from a hole in the ground? I have my FAFSA off and sent, got my SAR, and made appropriate changes to it, finished my taxes and sent them off, and I'm lighting a fire under my folks to get their info all set so that I can report it.

Now I look at the addendum, and I'm like "I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and I don't know who is a good private lender for me should I need one..." :confused: :scared:

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone out there know what they're doing with this stuff? If so, would you be willing to have a yahoo IM or other type of IM pow-wow to help us sucker-chumps out? I wanna get the addendum done and sent off so I can start the next steps. Plus, I wanna get in there like swimwear if there are any scholarships available. Holla if ya hear me!!

Hey check out Nellie Mae, i am a MSPH student at Tulane and on the 2009 waitlist. i have my private grad loan with them, they are great- no B.S. charges, and its really easy to apply for the loan. I should mention that private loans are entirely credit based.

https://www.nelliemae.com/?404;http://www.nelliemae.com/index.asp

Is anyone going down in March to look for a place? I'll be there March 7th-11th.

Hey guys, it appears as though I'm about to be waitlisted at Northwestern, so Tulane is now my front runner in the race for med school. Just thought I'd introduce myself :)

Howdy. Do any of you fine folks have any information on Tulane's merit scholarships? I saw in another thread that they had started to give them out. Anyone know about how many of these suckers they give out? Or whether there are any left to give?

I ask because I really liked Tulane, but its starting to look a little costly.

aegis said:
Is anyone going down in March to look for a place? I'll be there March 7th-11th.

are you all moving down there soon or are you trying to lock up a place for this summer? are you looking for a place based on price, location, advice of friends? i want to go down there and look for a place but am nervous that i have no idea what i'm doing.

go blue.

gotigers said:
are you all moving down there soon or are you trying to lock up a place for this summer? are you looking for a place based on price, location, advice of friends? i want to go down there and look for a place but am nervous that i have no idea what i'm doing.

go blue.

I'm going down there with the intention of locking down a place for July, I won't be moving down there till july 1st. I plan on just hanging out for a week and checking out a bunch of places. I'm not too worried about it, besides it will be a good spring break to be in New Orleans. There are some leads on gambitweekly.com that I'm gonna follow. I also found some interesting places through rent.com and sites like that. I'll make sure to report my findings. I don't think any of us have much of an idea what were doing. Thats the fun in it.

MabdulD said:
Howdy. Do any of you fine folks have any information on Tulane's merit scholarships? I saw in another thread that they had started to give them out. Anyone know about how many of these suckers they give out? Or whether there are any left to give?

I really have no idea about merit scholarships... have you called Kahn's office? They can probably tell you :) Glad to hear you're into Tulane!

MabdulD said:

I know if your applying for the MD/Mph program they give out a merit scholarship of 10K, the entire program costs 18K for four years. This is only if you get your application in by april I think. I'm not sure if there are merit scholarships for the MD program straight up?

have people here finished doing the financial aid info. I gave my dad a copy to fill out my parents info, but i doubt he's started and i haven't started any of it either. Is there a due date for all of it?

Is Tulane doing any kind of a second look weekend or are you all just planning trips individually?

i posted this earlier in this thread, but if you are looking for places they have prudential realtors and later & blum realtors that could help you as well. You could go online and look at what they have listed and try and set up an appt where they could show you stuff.

vikaskoth said:
have people here finished doing the financial aid info. I gave my dad a copy to fill out my parents info, but i doubt he's started and i haven't started any of it either. Is there a due date for all of it?

One of the papers or booklets with the financial aid stuff says to submit the FAFSA by March 15. I haven't started it, but will probably do it this week. Does anyone know if you need to submit your $500 deposit or FAFSA in order to be considered for merit scholarships?

eckertle said:
One of the papers or booklets with the financial aid stuff says to submit the FAFSA by March 15. I haven't started it, but will probably do it this week. Does anyone know if you need to submit your $500 deposit or FAFSA in order to be considered for merit scholarships?

I read somewhere in that book they sent us that the deadline for our financial aid info was based on our program, which set the deadline to april 15th. I'm assuming that includes the FASFA, but you are supposed to get your FASFA in a month ahead of time anyway, so maybe it fits.

Are any of you all looking to live downtown in the city by the school or are you all looking uptown or in the garden district? If any one is looking in the city let me know what places you guys are checking out. I heard the Saulet is really nice and this place called Julia St. Apartments, but both are 750+ a month at least. I am trying to keep down in the 500's or so. Tulane 2009

milldec said:
Are any of you all looking to live downtown in the city by the school or are you all looking uptown or in the garden district? If any one is looking in the city let me know what places you guys are checking out. I heard the Saulet is really nice and this place called Julia St. Apartments, but both are 750+ a month at least. I am trying to keep down in the 500's or so. Tulane 2009

i'm right with you in the 500 range my friend. i couldn't possibly justify spending 7-800 dollars a month on an apartment i'll only be sleeping and stressing in. plus i need the extra money to support my heroin addiction.

aegis said:
I read somewhere in that book they sent us that the deadline for our financial aid info was based on our program, which set the deadline to april 15th. I'm assuming that includes the FASFA, but you are supposed to get your FASFA in a month ahead of time anyway, so maybe it fits.

I was too lazy to double-check the financial aid info before my last post. Tulane recommends submitting your info by March 31. That seems weird because most people will not be finished with their taxes two weeks before the due date.

Does anyone have info on Deming? I'm thinking that living on campus will be the only way to get myself to class (considering traffic between uptown and downtown can be a nightmare), but I don't want to live in a dump. How are the apartments and exercise room?

eckertle said:
Does anyone have info on Deming? I'm thinking that living on campus will be the only way to get myself to class (considering traffic between uptown and downtown can be a nightmare), but I don't want to live in a dump. How are the apartments and exercise room?

Just an FYI -- Deming kind of sucks, but it's good for the first semester if you want to get to know people and have all-hours access to the cadavers. Otherwise, uptown is not a bad place and traffic really isn't that bad. Claiborne is usually pretty quick, even at the worst point of rush hour. I lived uptown for a couple of years and found it to be a nice break from the med school. There is a grass and trees uptown, something you won't see downtown. And, you'll realize pretty quickly that you don't have to go to class and there goes your main benefit of being down there.

Good luck

peptidoglycan said:
Just an FYI -- Deming kind of sucks, but it's good for the first semester if you want to get to know people and have all-hours access to the cadavers. Otherwise, uptown is not a bad place and traffic really isn't that bad. Claiborne is usually pretty quick, even at the worst point of rush hour. I lived uptown for a couple of years and found it to be a nice break from the med school. There is a grass and trees uptown, something you won't see downtown. And, you'll realize pretty quickly that you don't have to go to class and there goes your main benefit of being down there.

Good luck

Any recommendations on where to live uptown? Is it mostly houses for rent or apartment buildings? I know this sounds dumb, but what is considered uptown? Is it west of the free way by the universities north of the garden district? What is considered downtown then? I should probably learn these things considering I'm going to be there in a few days.

peptido - when do you learn basic clinical skills at tulane, is it just spread out through first and second year or what?

Hi all! Count me in for 2009, too! I fell in love with Tulane at my interview and was over the moon when I got my acceptance... a few months later, and now it's down to practicalities like where to live!

I saw some housing being debated -- I'm personally planning on buying a place, probably a double. I'm tired of renting! Anyone else doing the homeowner thing?

Anyway, yay us! :laugh: