Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people are currently on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

MechE said:
Does anyone know how many people are currently on the waitlist?

I have no idea, but I'd like to know too. Does anyone know if the waitlist has started moving yet?

I'm about to write another love letter to Tulane....

I called Tulane and they told me there are about 300 people on their alternate list. Although, I can't believe they are actually given consideration to all 300 on their list. The information folder that was given out on interview day at Tulane says your application is graded on a scale of 1-10 (10 the highest) by a number of people and your application is given a grade based on the average of these scores. If it is over 6 you are considered in their acceptance range and you are either wait listed or accepted at this point. It goes on to say that people are moved off the wait list list based on how high a score your application received, more or less. I don't know why they explicitly says this in this one packet when in all the other stuff they give/tell you or on their website they claim the list is not ranked, when according to this it clearly is. Also I don't understand why Tulane keeps 300 people on its wait list when many of those on it likely don't have a chance. But I am keeping hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't that make Tulane's waitlist sort of ranked rather than unranked?

If they've filled their class with 155 people and usually accept 400 does that mean 2/3rds of the waitlist people are pulled?

indo said:
Wouldn't that make Tulane's waitlist sort of ranked rather than unranked?

If they've filled their class with 155 people and usually accept 400 does that mean 2/3rds of the waitlist people are pulled?

They claim it is not ranked but as I stated before that doesn't jive with some of their own printed info. It is ranked based on the score your application receives but there is likely some wiggle room so they claim it is not ranked. (i.e. if your application is a 8 they will give move you off the list before someone whose application is a 6)

I don't know how many people on the waitlist are finally given offers. If you call them they won't tell you anything or even anything about past years. You just have to sit and wait. Does anyone know if they call/email/or send mail to inform you of an acceptance?

fiji128 said:
They claim it is not ranked but as I stated before that doesn't jive with some of their own printed info. It is ranked based on the score your application receives but there is likely some wiggle room so they claim it is not ranked. (i.e. if your application is a 8 they will give move you off the list before someone whose application is a 6)

I don't know how many people on the waitlist are finally given offers. If you call them they won't tell you anything or even anything about past years. You just have to sit and wait. Does anyone know if they call/email/or send mail to inform you of an acceptance?

So they must have groups of applicants who received the same scores on their interviews and these groups are ranked according to the score. good times.

i'm going to create my own second look later this week... *sigh* wish I scheduled last week during jazz fest! ;) will anyone else be in town?

Does anyone know what the deal is with these two are they the same thing? Did anyone get an acceptance range notice then a waitlist notice later?

Thanks

I got the acceptance range one...never got a waitlist one, did you? Anyone else? Maybe this is an indicator of most likely getting off the list...it is pretty nice language :thumbup:

adamj61 said:
I got the acceptance range one...never got a waitlist one, did you? Anyone else? Maybe this is an indicator of most likely getting off the list...it is pretty nice language :thumbup:

Nope, I just got the acceptance range one too. When I asked them though they said they were pretty much the same thing as a waitlist, but then I asked if the waitlist moves at all before May 15th, and the answer to that was a resounding "NO", and my acceptance range letter said they could take me off the list at any time...I'm confused. Anyone else know any more info?

Has anyone currently on the acceptance range list been accepted by any other schools yet? Or is everyone like me and stuck in waitlist hell everywhere?

On a funny little side note: I found out that my Japanese Culture final was moved from Tuesday on finals week (next week) to the last day of class (this Friday) :eek: . Apparently he made this announcement on a day I skipped class. I was pretty shocked to find this out, since I wasn’t even planning to study for this final until the weekend. Oh well, this means I’ll be cramming Thursday night instead of next Monday night.

I called Tulane and the woman said that the committee is meeting today to decide the fates of the waitlisted students. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

nockamura said:
I called Tulane and the woman said that the committee is meeting today to decide the fates of the waitlisted students. Keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

God I hope it is going to be worth the 9 month wait or however long it has been :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
adamj61 said:
God I hope it is going to be worth the 9 month wait or however long it has been :luck:
I see you've lost count, too. I know how much you love Tulane...so I hope you'll be celebrating soon. :thumbup:

The committee met on a thursday? hmm. Are there no more interviews scheduled?

As far as I know interviews at Tulane ended awhile ago.

nockamura said:

Well, I'm assuming not the fate on all of us. Gotta wait til the 15th I bet. I have really got to get that letter in the mail!! :scared:

If you search SDN for past years' SDNers taken off of tulane's waitlist you'll find only about 10 people who were plucked during the second have of april and throughout may. What does this mean? I don't know either.

Does anyone know how much they overaccept to begin with?

I called Tulane today and was told that the waitlist would start moving significantly in about two weeks (basically the week after the 15th. Hope that helps.

i personally cannot wait.

cpatel301 said:
i personally cannot wait.

I got rejected from Tulane today, after many months on the acceptable list. I guess I wasn't acceptable after all...
good luck, the rest of you who are waiting.

How were you notified? I guess they did make a decision on waitlisted students yesterday.

marina said:
I got rejected from Tulane today, after many months on the acceptable list. I guess I wasn't acceptable after all...

I'm sorry to hear that marina :( . To heck with 'em :cool: . :thumbup: They don't know what the're missing!

indo said:
If you search SDN for past years' SDNers taken off of tulane's waitlist you'll find only about 10 people who were plucked during the second have of april and throughout may. What does this mean? I don't know either.

Jeezus...did I write "second have"? I am clearly not capable of being a doctor.

SECOND HALF.

marina said:

:scared:

nockamura said:
How were you notified? I guess they did make a decision on waitlisted students yesterday.

They sent me a short letter.

Thanks, 2Tall.
I still have both LSUs as a possibility...

Maybe my letter is in the mail...Although I called on Thurs and she said I was still on the WL.

marina said:
They sent me a short letter.

Thanks, 2Tall.
I still have both LSUs as a possibility...

I haven't ever heard of that happening before. My guess is that they don't want to string you along, knowing that they probably won't have a spot for you, and have you pass up a great opportunity to strengthen your application for next year. Personally, I'd rather get a swift and final rejection than be strung along until I figure it out myself. In the long run, I think it's more considerate. But that's just me.

Hopefully you'll get in soon at one of the LSUs and won't have to wait.

i just got back from visiting again. had a blast. :love: got a lot of info, but still have questions. oh - and by the way, i stayed a decent hostel that was only $15 a night - schweet! heehee but i would always come in late at night and wake up the canadians. heehee.

useful info:
- finaid told me that they are giving out *NO* need based scholarships this year to incoming t1's due to budget cuts???? wtf???? was shocked by this. why is tuition up much more and need aid down? :thumbdown:

-the golf green at audobon (sp?) park is very nice to lay on and watch the clouds.

questions:
- i love tulane. its wicked kewl. facilities seem almost scarily aged. can anyone speak to their feelings on the adequecy of facilities, most importantly wit respekt to rotations, but also in terms of classroom media?

- i heard that there is no real emergency department in terms of curriculum at tulane and that current students interested in emergency medicine work a bit wit the LSU peeps. any knowledge on this? feel a bit shaky on my understanding of this. :confused:

- is NOLA really sinking 3" a year???

seethrew said:
questions:
- i love tulane. its wicked kewl. facilities seem almost scarily aged. can anyone speak to their feelings on the adequecy of facilities, most importantly wit respekt to rotations, but also in terms of classroom media?

Did you visit the old building (1430 Tulane Avenue) or the new one (1555 Poydras Street?) They're getting all new classroom facilities and just keeping the labs at 1430 Tulane, I believe.

- i heard that there is no real emergency department in terms of curriculum at tulane and that current students interested in emergency medicine work a bit wit the LSU peeps. any knowledge on this? feel a bit shaky on my understanding of this. :confused:

I think a common misconception that is perpetuated by some LSU students is that Tulane "horns in on" LSU's territory for departments that are not included at Tulane Hospital. Tulane EM attendings work at Charity, I think, and that's where the curriculum is based. It's still Tulane's own curriculum (just like Tulane has its own curriculum for all departments that are also based at/partially based at Charity.)

- is NOLA really sinking 3" a year???

I have no idea! Funny though!

seethrew said:

Next year they will be moving the medical school to a brand new location a few blocks from where it is now. I wonder if anyone here has seen the new building? Does anyone know if the hospitals look as aged as the medical school?

MechE said:
Next year they will be moving the medical school to a brand new location a few blocks from where it is now. I wonder if anyone here has seen the new building? Does anyone know if the hospitals look as aged as the medical school?
in comparison to the other hospitals i have seen at my interviews, it is bar none the oldest lookin, i speak of tulane u hospital (which someone on campus said had been better when not run by HMO) as well as obviously charity which was truly shocking in surface appearance. this is just a cursory typa thing tho. i know nothin of equipment.

i am not sure if that means anythin but aesthetic effects fer us as med students. sure feel like its less conducive to a healin environment, but does fit the feelin of NOLA. ;)

i didnt feel as if i had a definitive answer on whether or not the new building would be serving t1s academically. cadavers def still in old building. looks like a schweet student lounge is comin to town tho.

on the emergency med thing - a t1 told me he was involved wit lsu because they had em resources not available at tulane, but i must say i wasnt entirely sure of what he meant. will clarify that and report back if anyone cares...

MechE, the building is right next to the superdome, its a big new tower that has won some architectural awards so i imagine its pretty nice. I believe someone posted pics of the building within the first pages of this thread, so you could skim through to take a look at them. I've never been inside or anything though.

vikaskoth said:
MechE, the building is right next to the superdome, its a big new tower that has won some architectural awards so i imagine its pretty nice. I believe someone posted pics of the building within the first pages of this thread, so you could skim through to take a look at them. I've never been inside or anything though.
i saw the architectural drawings of the med school floors and it looks pretty awesome. huge nice student lounge - 2 big screen tvs, cappucino machine :rolleyes: etc - 3000+ sq feet or something crazy like that. a bunch of small classrooms, new lecture halls. heard they stressed that deans offices should be near where the students would be gathering. :thumbup:

vikaskoth said:
I believe someone posted pics of the building within the first pages of this thread, so you could skim through to take a look at them.
I'd forgotten about those. Thanks.

what can yall tell me about living in Deming? i went to tulane undergrad and im going to go to tulane med, but i REALLY dont want to live in deming. im ready for a NOLA apartment (gosh i love that city!). HOWEVER, Im stuck in Japan till my contract ends in late july. somehow, im getting myself an apartment dammit! but, out of desperation...i might spend a semester in demming :thumbdown: . anyone else giving themselves 2 weeks to find an apartment :D (and need a roomie).

gaikokujin said:
what can yall tell me about living in Deming?

EVERYONE I spoke with warned me against it. We went through it on our tour, and it's a pretty sterile, bland place. It is connected to the hospital, which is convenient. I'd personally want some space away from school, but to each his own.

The rent also seemed a little high for what you got. At least relative to other apartments in NO.

freaker said:
EVERYONE I spoke with warned me against it. We went through it on our tour, and it's a pretty sterile, bland place. It is connected to the hospital, which is convenient. I'd personally want some space away from school, but to each his own.

The rent also seemed a little high for what you got. At least relative to other apartments in NO.

really....well, that's what i suspected. the question is, can i find an apartment in NOLA between July 24th and August 5th AND buy a car :confused: :eek: .

gaiko, if your looking for a place within that short span, easiest bet is probably to check out the prudential and later-blum websites and then to make an appt with a realtor. Only searching through something like the Gambit, you could look at a decent amt of places in that time, but owners schedules are often busy and its hard to even reach some of the people that just place adds. As long as your not ultra picky, you should be able to find one. Also, you could call Tulane Med for the password to access the little real estate page for the incoming class.

I suppose if you know what kind of car and price your looking for, it could be done within a few days or less.

freaker said:

Ditto that, I have heard it completely sucked and was unimpressed with it on the tour. One of my friends (an almost-T2) lived there for a little while last summer and couldn't wait to get out.

I'm holding my breath about a house I looked at this weekend, personally! Wish me luck!

seethrew, it was fun to see you! I've still got my fingers crossed for you to be joining us!

vikaskoth said:
gaiko, if your looking for a place within that short span, easiest bet is probably to check out the prudential and later-blum websites and then to make an appt with a realtor. Only searching through something like the Gambit, you could look at a decent amt of places in that time, but owners schedules are often busy and its hard to even reach some of the people that just place adds. As long as your not ultra picky, you should be able to find one. Also, you could call Tulane Med for the password to access the little real estate page for the incoming class.

I suppose if you know what kind of car and price your looking for, it could be done within a few days or less.

For anyone looking for a realtor, the woman I spoke with at Latter and Blum was incredibly rude to me after finding out my situation and how much I had to spend. On the other hand, all of the people I've interacted with at ERA Sterling have been incredibly kind, patient, and more than competent. I highly, highly recommend them. FWIW.

http://www.erastirling.com/

BabyDoctor said:
For anyone looking for a realtor, the woman I spoke with at Latter and Blum was incredibly rude to me after finding out my situation and how much I had to spend. On the other hand, all of the people I've interacted with at ERA Sterling have been incredibly kind, patient, and more than competent. I highly, highly recommend them. FWIW.

hey babe! wassup???? did u find a place???? been meaning to call u, are u still in NOLA? v interested to hear how the house hunt went.

seethrew said:
hey babe! wassup???? did u find a place???? been meaning to call u, are u still in NOLA? v interested to hear how the house hunt went.

Nah, I flew home yesterday morning (and went directly to work, where I was completely useless for 5 hours...).

I found something I have fallen in love with but don't want to say too much for fear of jinxing it! ;)

How did your meetings and decisioning processing sorts of thingsing go?

I also found out I definitely got the Air Force HPSP scholarship dealie. Signing the papers today... meep!

BabyDoctor said:
Nah, I flew home yesterday morning (and went directly to work, where I was completely useless for 5 hours...).

I found something I have fallen in love with but don't want to say too much for fear of jinxing it! ;)

How did your meetings and decisioning processing sorts of thingsing go?

I also found out I definitely got the Air Force HPSP scholarship dealie. Signing the papers today... meep!
congrats girl! free rides are fun! whoopie!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

meetings went ok... still some info is up in the air. got the md/mph scholarship... every bit helps! cant believe i could be taking mph classes in less than 4 weeks. prolly be living in my truck. *yikes*

slowly processing info. still twitering between my options. :barf:
definitely love nola tho.

BabyDoctor said:

i don't doubt the later/blum episode, most of those people just suck. But there is one agent in the rental office on maple st. I believe her name is Carol, she is older 60+, she was very good, the rest a bunch of idiots but they do have lots of listings.

BabyDoctor said:

does this company only handle buying property or can you rent through them also? didnt see any rentals on their website. i am checking out the tusom website, but its going to be so long until i get to NOLA that i dont think any of the listings will still be current! :(

gaikokujin said:
does this company only handle buying property or can you rent through them also? didnt see any rentals on their website. i am checking out the tusom website, but its going to be so long until i get to NOLA that i dont think any of the listings will still be current! :(

I'm not sure, to be honest -- I'd call them and ask. I have really, really liked them. A lot.

Especially considering I got word that my offer was accepted this morning! :laugh:

Baby- where are you buying a house?