Tulane Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ended up calling and was told that I'm in the acceptable range. From what I got out of the letter and the secretary, it is not ranked so it shouldn't matter when you interviewed. Basically, its not exactly a "waitlist" it's a pool of candidates that they can look at when they have more available spots open up.

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to follow Meg’s cue and call the admissions office. The secretary told me that one of my interviewers had not yet turned in his evaluation. So this means the committee has not reviewed my file yet. She said they’re expecting the evaluation sometime this week and I should know by next Wednesday. More waiting.

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile guys... good luck to all the waitlisters! I am getting excited... is Tulane doing a second look? I imagine not since we haven't gotten info yet and would have needed to already...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interviewed on the first week of september....I haven't heard anything. I sometimes wonder if they just forgot about me, but the new dean did say that I shouldn't worry, or something about being seriously considered. Anyone else hear anything about anyone from that long ago? I imagine I will find out in May like the rest of us.

adamj61 said:
I was interviewed on the first week of september....I haven't heard anything. I sometimes wonder if they just forgot about me, but the new dean did say that I shouldn't worry, or something about being seriously considered. Anyone else hear anything about anyone from that long ago? I imagine I will find out in May like the rest of us.

Looks like you're the oldest. I was born...errr I interviewed the second week in October. I imagine my file at the bottom of a huge stack.

But as the saying goes...the best things come to those that wait.

2tall said:
Looks like you're the oldest. I was born...errr I interviewed the second week in October. I imagine my file at the bottom of a huge stack.

But as the saying goes...the best things come to those that wait.

Yeah I interviewed with a bunch of neurotic yale/stanford/berkley people, I think they lost my file since it got mixed up in all the acceptances from my interview group.

adamj61 said:
Yeah I interviewed with a bunch of neurotic yale/stanford/berkley people, I think they lost my file since it got mixed up in all the acceptances from my interview group.

Ok that's not fair...I'm a "Berkeley person" and I am on the waitlist :( And I'm not neurotic :cool:

Hey I don't mean to change the waitlist/acceptance subject. I think I'm going to be living in a 2 bedroom warehouse apartment. I'm moving in july 1st, but my roommate won't be there till the first week of August, so if anyone needs a place to stay for a couple of days in July, maybe as a homebase to look for housing, just let me know.

aegis said:
Hey I don't mean to change the waitlist/acceptance subject. I think I'm going to be living in a 2 bedroom warehouse apartment. I'm moving in july 1st, but my roommate won't be there till the first week of August, so if anyone needs a place to stay for a couple of days in July, maybe as a homebase to look for housing, just let me know.

Hopefully, I'll be in New Orleans taking a class this summer. We should get incoming students together for drinks or something.

aegis said:

2 bedroom warehouse? Where at, and how much? Ya got a link with pics? Ya gotta spill it, man! I've decided to start lookin at housing in earnest, and I want to make a well informed decision and have some nice prospects. Do tell, my dude!!

Also-- how'd you find a roomie-- Yer not doin it blind, are you? You know this fool arready, right?

2 bedroom warehouse? wow. Each bedroom is 20,000 square feet, heating the place costs 500/ month, and there is no shower.

indo said:
2 bedroom warehouse? wow. Each bedroom is 20,000 square feet, heating the place costs 500/ month, and there is no shower.

haha. Yup you got it. It's an old tire factory, I'm gonna sleep right on the conveyer belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
criminallyinane said:
Akers? A friend of mine had him.

I had him too...I thought he was a nice guy. I like listening to stories from back in the day

indo said:
He gave me some great advice on where to apply next year. :confused:
That's never good.

indo said:
He gave me some great advice on where to apply next year. :confused:

He gave me advice on where I should've applied for this year.

Amida said:
What are the financial aid packages like at Tulane? Are there any scholarships and grants or do you have to get by on only loans? $39,000 + living in loans sounds like a lot to me.
haven't received mine yet, but they have both merit & need based grants/scholarships as well as loans. yes is $$$. you gotta fill out their supplemental app as well as fafsa. didn't see a deadline for the supplemental.

stinkycheese - no second look. got my head bit off by the secretary for asking too. :eek:

Has anyone recieved any word on their financial aid packages at Tulane yet?

JoeyB said:
Has anyone recieved any word on their financial aid packages at Tulane yet?
spoke to finaid peeps dis week and they said it wont be until the end of this month until packages get mailed out. more waiting.

*yet another swig, passes bottle to JoeyB*

I finally got my waitlist letter today. I'm just glad it wasn't a rejection. :D

MechE said:
I finally got my waitlist letter today. I'm just glad it wasn't a rejection. :D

Welcome to the club. Would you like a drink?

my finaid stuff was posted today online. :eek:
think i'm gonna go visit again the first week o may.
i'm curious... r their acceptees out there that are a little older out there?
went to a second look somewhere else and it seemed that most were finishing undergrad. wuz talking to a girlfriend whos an older student and a 3rd year - she says it gets funny when ur interns are younger than u. :)

seethrew
-tulane accepts a good amount of non-trad or people out of post-bacc, avg age of last years class was 24. So like most schools there will be proally half straight from undergrad and the rest different.

-did it show your reward or what you qualify for online? I turned in my forms late so i didnt expect to know this early.

vikaskoth said:
seethrew
-tulane accepts a good amount of non-trad or people out of post-bacc, avg age of last years class was 24. So like most schools there will be proally half straight from undergrad and the rest different.

-did it show your reward or what you qualify for online? I turned in my forms late so i didnt expect to know this early.
-i'm 29 so i guess most will look young to me. guess i still found myself surprised at the youngness of folks at said second look, though thats pretty silly. not that that is a BAD thing.

-i think it had everything.... ****eload of loan amounts and the merit scholarship i knew about when i was admitted. must admit i was hoping fer a tiny bit more... greddy bastard as i am. havent yet heard from my instate and was hopin tulane would fight fer me honor. ;) i turned in my forms like a week ago, i believe.

i just got waitlisted at Tulane for 2009, does anyone know the stats on that? like what percentage are usually accepted off the waitlist, how many on the list, when the list starts moving? etc...thanks for any help :)

Hey guys,

Hope everything's going well with your financial aid stuff. I got my waitlist letter today, so me and my roommates went out and celebrated my non-rejection letter. It was fun. Wish you all well!! :thumbup: :)

2tall said:
Welcome to the club. Would you like a drink?
Hell yes.
food-smiley-004.gif

holy crap! just checked out the fin aid info, and saw the estimated cost of attendance is 57000. tuition alone is 40000 now. i really loved tulane, but the price is scaring me, even compared to other provated schools. i dont how i can justify going there now. how much debt is truly manageable? i want to go there.

captbadass said:
holy crap! just checked out the fin aid info, and saw the estimated cost of attendance is 57000. tuition alone is 40000 now. i really loved tulane, but the price is scaring me, even compared to other provated schools. i dont how i can justify going there now. how much debt is truly manageable? i want to go there.

So you'll have $200,000 in debt...After you finish your residency/fellowships...you'll make at least $100,000 (depending on specialty). So you could live on $50,000...and pay your debt off in 4 years.

seethrew said:
my finaid stuff was posted today online. :eek:
think i'm gonna go visit again the first week o may.
i'm curious... r their acceptees out there that are a little older out there?
went to a second look somewhere else and it seemed that most were finishing undergrad. wuz talking to a girlfriend whos an older student and a 3rd year - she says it gets funny when ur interns are younger than u. :)

Did your aid post on the site that they emailed to us last week? I'm still waiting for my info to post. :confused:

2tall said:
So you'll have $200,000 in debt...After you finish your residency/fellowships...you'll make at least $100,000 (depending on specialty). So you could live on $50,000...and pay your debt off in 4 years.
Don't forget taxes and malpractice insurance.

you actually would be potentially losing money by trying to pay of your loans that quickly, I think loan payments are on a 20 or 30 yr plan and you could invest the left over money you have in something with a higher return than your loan interest rate. Thats the answer that has been given by many all over this site.

vikaskoth said:
you actually would be potentially losing money by trying to pay of your loans that quickly, I think loan payments are on a 20 or 30 yr plan and you could invest the left over money you have in something with a higher return than your loan interest rate. Thats the answer that has been given by many all over this site.

So in effect you're borrowing money to invest. Makes sense to me (sarcasm).

i dont get your sarcasm?

2tall said:
So in effect you're borrowing money to invest. Makes sense to me (sarcasm).

he's referring to the excess income you have after making the minimum loan payment. for example, say hypothetically your payment plan on the loan requires you to pay 1000/month, but you can afford to pay 2000. rather than pay 2000, invest the extra 1000 in something that earns more interest than your loan costs.

MechE said:
Don't forget taxes and malpractice insurance.

I just wanted to use round numbers. Fine! You do it then! :D

we should all just worry about doing well in med school and enjoying our time till it starts.

captbadass said:
he's referring to the excess income you have after making the minimum loan payment. for example, say hypothetically your payment plan on the loan requires you to pay 1000/month, but you can afford to pay 2000. rather than pay 2000, invest the extra 1000 in something that earns more interest than your loan costs.

I understood what he was saying...but...if one chooses to invest money that one could use to pay off their debt...they are (in effect) borrowing money to invest. That makes no mathematical or financial sense.

no, the borrowed money has already been used to pay for med school
so its just that your not paying back your debt as quickly as possible.

i'm not saying you should take out student loans and then take that money and put it in some investment with a high return

eckertle said:
Did your aid post on the site that they emailed to us last week? I'm still waiting for my info to post. :confused:
yes. mine prolly was done fast since all they had to do was plug the debt into loans. they used nice round numbers. too many 0's if ya ask me. maybe a longer wait is good luck. ;)

to all the other $$$ stuff... sheesh. my mind cannot compute. *owww* it hurts. *reeling* hard nuff to think about relocating, yet again. not to mention 30 yr plans fer debt.

vikaskoth said:
no, the borrowed money has already been used to pay for med school
so its just that your not paying back your debt as quickly as possible.

i'm not saying you should take out student loans and then take that money and put it in some investment with a high return

exactly, what you are saying is clear. it seems common sense to me. paying a 3% loan off fast as possible is just plain dumb. this is not credt card debt with some exorbitant interest rate. this is why even people who can afford to pay tuition without loans still take them out when rates are this low.

yea, this topic has run its course

got my finaid in the mail, and it was NOT nice. i was given a HUGE primary care loan... did they give this to everyone or did we tell them that we wanted to be considered for this loan? i am interested in specializing, so you see my dilemma! :eek:

Just checking to be sure-- Tulane requires the deposit by May 15th to secure your seat right? Just checking because I'm going down to nola in two weeks to take a second look and make my final decision. I already sent them my letter, but I think I remember that the acceptance letter said they needed the deposit by May 15th. Can anyone confirm?

yea they need the 500 by may 15th, i pretty sure its the universal deadline for schools to recieve deposits and when students have to withdraw multiple acceptances

iheartu said:
got my finaid in the mail, and it was NOT nice. i was given a HUGE primary care loan... did they give this to everyone or did we tell them that we wanted to be considered for this loan? i am interested in specializing, so you see my dilemma! :eek:

there was a check box on the addendum that asked if you want to be considered for the low interest primary care loan, there was a yes, no, and not sure box, so maybe if you put not sure they offered it to you?

I think that I put "not sure" and did NOT get offered the primary care loan. Maybe you accidentally marked "yes." If so, you can always decline the loan. As far as i know, it's not too late to apply for a private loan.

Has anyone called the financial aid office for info on state scholarships? I read about it in the financial aid guidebook, called the office today, and was told to call back tomorrow. Should I be doing research at the library or chamber of commerce, or does Tulane have all of the state scholarship info?

For those on the waitlist, I withdrew my acceptance today. Tulane is a great school and I would have enjoyed going there. Good luck everybody.

bds

hey there--

i'm coming down to NO in a few weeks to find a place to move into for July 1st...i'll be attending med school at tulane. i'm totally lost in this whole apartment search process. some people tell me to spend some money and live in some place called Julia St. Apartments because it's really nice, but your post makes me think i could get something cheaper and just as nice. any advice you have for me would GREATLY appreciated!
thanks again,

josh

kcernak said:
I'm an undergrad at Tulane now, and I'm living uptown. If you have a car and are looking for off-campus housing, I live in a pretty awesome complex. Apartments are:

$650 a month + utilities (for a one bedroom: includes bedroom, full bath, loaded kitchen+living room)
$900 a month + utilities (for a two bedroom: two bedrooms, two bath, loaded kitchen + living room + washer + dryer)
$1100 a month + utilities (for a larger two bedroom).

The complex is on S. Carrollton Ave, a pretty major street that runs into St. Charles. There is a street car stop right outside my door, and I am right around a lot of restaurants and stores and coffee houses. You can always take the street car or a bus downtown towards the medical school, but its a pretty decent ride, so i wouldn't really recommend it.

Oh, and parking is either $60 a month in a lot, or $5 per half a year for a residential permit as a student, which is clearly the better deal. There is a little-driven-on side street that is pretty awesome for parking.

Anyway, if anyone is coming down here to check out the town or wants to talk to my land lord, send me a PM and i'll send you his number. Usually at peak move-in times there is a waiting list (that is, beginning of may with the end of the school year or the end of august with the beginning) but if you set something up now, you'll probably get a place.

My landlord also has a few other properties in even better spots (closer to downtown and on st. charles) but for a lot more money ($900 for a single, 1500 + for a double).

Also, safety is definitely something to be aware of in New orleans, but i'm on a major street, and I've never heard of any problems around me. The apartments are also gated.

I have some pictures, too, so PM me if you'd like to see 'em.