Tulane parking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?

Anyone from Tulane around? Do students get to park near campus for free? If not what do you do and what does it cost?

ohhh, another thing. How does the note service work, what does it cost, if anything.

trying to put together a budget....

are there anyother expenses which are unique to Tulane? odd fees or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a sort of similar question.
I'll be living on St. Charles and was wondering how easy access to the school by the streetcar is. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that bad (in the nice skies anyway). Thanks

Parking ranges from free but risky (street parking next to the projects) to $3 a day (various lots across Canal) to $50 a month (a covered lot across Canal) to $70 a month (HEAL lot next to school). I usually park on the street for free or pay $3 to park in the covered lot if I don't feel like finding a space.

Weird fees- used to be you had to buy your own microscope, but for your class they axed that requirement (lucky you). Class dues are $200, nothing else comes to mind. Student insurance of either $800 or $1100 depending on which you choose, but all these costs are included in your student loan budget, as are costs for car ownership (but not purchase).

As far as getting to school on the streetcar- you could, but I don't think you'd want to. It's pretty slow, and you'd still have to walk up to the school from St. Charles once you got downtown. I'd bike it if I were you- I sometimes bike from Uptown, and if I can do that, you can definitely do it from St. Charles. But in the end, a cheap used car might be the way to go, which is what I ended up doing. It'll be worth it in the long run, no doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, and I'm pretty sure we don't park for free but there is a parking lot that we can buy a pass to which is still kinda steep

for my interview I parked in one of the lots next to the school and it was something like $6.

Hey Hawiian do you mean we can rent mircoscopes insead of buy them? Or do you mean they provide them for us now?

and bbawco1 how did you find a place? Do they have a list of accepted students or something? I need to find a roomate. The guy i thought I was going to room with will be attending another school most likely.

What do you guy live on per month, or expect to live on in bbawco1's case?
I was figuring on 2000 a month. maybe 1500, depending on my rent.

Also, if you're female, and you aren't going to buy a pass for the HEAL garage (which has a walkway to the school, and which cost $90/month when *I* went over there to ask--so apparently HB has some interpersonal skillz I lack ;) ), it's worthwhile to buy an evening/weekend pass for the medical school's own garage, which is attached to the school. You really don't want to be walking around that area alone at night. The security guards will walk you to your car, but the evening/weekend pass only costs $60 for the whole year. It all depends on how much you plan to use it.

I still haven't quite figured out the earliest time I can get in, but my card definitely works from 7pm to 5am. Last semester I wasn't at the school much after hours, but this semester it feels like I live there, so I use it quite frequently.

Samoa said:
I still haven't quite figured out the earliest time I can get in, but my card definitely works from 7pm to 5am.

it starts working at 5:30 pm on weekdays, all day on weekends :)

Right now, HEAL lot contract is for $70/month. It may end up being more next year, but it has been steady at $70 for a couple of years. First and second years really don't need to park in a garage. You'll learn that after first semester of first year, you rarely even come to school, so having contract parking is a waste of your money. Like Samoa said, getting an evening and weekend pass is a good idea, and it won't break the bank, but don't forget that street parking right in front of the school during those same hours is free. Now, there is no guarantee that you will get one of the coveted spots right in front of the building, but usually you can find something and then get one of the cops on bikes to walk you back to your car if the hour is late.
Also, someone mentioned class dues. That is a one time fee of $200 and it covers Cadaver Ball (which is put on and paid for by the first year class every Spring), and every party your class will ever have in the 4 years of med school. It may also pay for a few other little things here and there, and in the end it is a well-spent $200.
You also asked about the note service. First of all, never assume anything is going to be free. If it turns out that it is, celebrate. In this case, it is not free, though it is a very good deal. Every semester is a different price, because the number of lectures and length of notesets tend to vary. First semester will be something like $140-150, second semester will be about $175 and second year will be around $130-150 each semester. At the end of the second year, if your note service people have been on the ball, you ought to get some of that money back. We did. Budget for it as is though, and enjoy whatever you get back as a little lagniappe.
As far as insurance goes, expect the whole chunk to be taken out of your first loan check. That hurts a lot, so look out for it. A lot of people don't know it's going to happen that way, and their budgets get thrown off.
Also, second year you have to pay for the boards -- ~$450, plus study materials, like Q-bank and First Aid and anything else you haven't accumulated over the 2 years. Just look ahead to that. 3rd year you have to pay for step 2 and the clinical skills part, which is almost $1500 plus travel expenses, but hopefully they'll have that better worked out by the time you have to worry about that.

Overall, med school is expensive. Take out lots of loans, and don't look back.

Also, as far as notes go, the past year's notes are available for about half the cost of the current notes. Though since they're tweaking first semester for you guys (hope you like cell bio, you poor bastards), you'll probably have to get your class' notes at least for first semester.

hightrump- as of next year the department will be providing microscopes for you (which they're busy buying from us now).

Also, you'd have to be eating at Emeril's twice a week to spend $2000 a month. Plan on spending much, much less than that, even with housing factored in. 'Course, Emeril does whip up a mean filet mignon...

I went to look for my apartment about 3 weeks ago and really did not plan on signing a lease b/c it was pretty early. It turned out that most places were vacant at the time and wanted to lease immediately so I wouldn't of got those places anyway. I ended up finding this place and the guy would wait because I would be there for a while. I ended up signing for $700 a month for a 2bd and about 1000sq ft or 350/person. This is definitely the exception though because he said that the rest of his apartments in the house are 1bd 1000sq ft and he charges per footage (still 700) so I got extremely lucky. I did however find a roommate who'll be going to LSUMC. Good luck on looking though, more than 1bd is definitely the way to go if you can find a roommate but from searching that day I'd say that $600-700 was about the average for a good place in a good location for a 1bd.

oh, and on our class information website via the admissions' webpage you can go to the housing and roommates page. hightrump, check your pm

Hightrump,

didn't you go to UF?

I'll be at Tulane in the fall and I'll be living in Deming

exgatr said:
Hightrump,

didn't you go to UF?

I'll be at Tulane in the fall and I'll be living in Deming

Close, FSU.

Why did you pick Deming? It seemed a little pricey. But I suppose walking to class wihout setting foot outside would be vey nice.

I wanted to live in Deming so I could meet more people from my class. Plus, it's not that expensive once you factor in the cost of utilities that you'd incur living off campus.

exgatr said:
I wanted to live in Deming so I could meet more people from my class. Plus, it's not that expensive once you factor in the cost of utilities that you'd incur living off campus.
while deming's great for meeting people, if you don't happen to choose to live there, don't worry--there are so many beginning-of-the-year parties and such, that you'll get to know your classmates plenty. i don't think you can go wrong either way...deming: wake up 5 minutes before class and not have to worry about whether it's freezing/raining/whatever. off-campus: get a chance to live in a fun part of new orleans :)

Hi, I'm heading to Tulane, what is the class website, or some housing info? Thanks!

never mind, I found the site.

peptidoglycan said:
Right now, HEAL lot contract is for $70/month. It may end up being more next year, but it has been steady at $70 for a couple of years.

Well, I don't know why they told me $90 then, but I swear to you that they did, and that's why I didn't buy a parking pass there.

And whoever gave me negative karma for that post--Hawaiian Bruin is a friend of mine, and a good guy, and I'm sure he took my comment as it was intended--jokingly. As I read it now in light of knowing that someone found it offensive, I see that it can be read to imply something I didn't intend. But I can't choose my words to sidestep a train of thought that wouldn't occur to me, and didn't at the time.

I really think people should have to sign their names to bad karma points...

hightrump said:
Close, FSU.

(and exgatr from UF, i am reckoning.)

Wow, all these people from Florida colleges coming to Tulane... I went to New College. yeehaw!

Bump. . .Does anyone know the number of the lot across from the Radisson? Also what is the number for HEAL. I am assuming we should just wait for orientation before deciding on parking. Any info would be much appreciated.

I think HEAL contracts are only available to 3rd and 4th year students...if you want to get in touch with the parking office, go to the tulane website (not the med school site, but the university site at www2.tulane.edu) and look in the phone directory for parking services, downtown. if there isn't a listing there, i'd call the med school operator and ask to be connected to the parking office. they're located on the 8th (i think) floor of tidewater.