Tulane students...Financial aid???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mary Jane Watson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what the Tulane students thought of their financial aid package... Do you feel you have alot of options to get the aid you need? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, it's adequate. As long as you're not paying for car insurance down here, it's relatively cheap to live in New Orleans. I don't here too many students complaining about their financial aid packages, and I'm a third year

Thanks rastelli,

I plan on living with my dad (he said I could have my old room back), but my husband and I have a house in Alabama where he would have to stay (for work). I know about the car insurance there - when I went to undergrad in MS and my dad got to change it, he was so happy. Are you happy there overall? Every student I met when I interviewed was great.

Members don't see this ad :)
kiddoc,

Have you decided against USA, or are you still thinking about it? You also got into UAB, didn't you? The options must be nice! :)

Hey Swampy!!

I'm still making my decision -- I have had a very disasterous run in with the financial aid people at UAB. Essentially you can't borrow over what they say and I have to have some extra the first year so I can help my husband some. The transition from having a salary to not having one is what I need help with and UAB is pretty rigid.

I really liked USA, but if I'm going to have to be away from my husband, I feel I'll be happiest in New Orleans, my hometown and living for free with dad. I'll need the extra family support (my husband's family is not far way either). I also feel he'd have the best chance of landing a job in his field in N.O. eventually. Tulane is where I go to the doctor and it really feels like home there.

I'm still debating. I know lots of people would love to be in my position and I'm truly grateful. I never thought I'd have a choice, especially since I wasn't a big science major or anything.

Don't worry Swampman - you and lamyers are more than welcome to visit me (and stay for free with my dad!!!!) in N.O. Take care and I'm glad you're gonna be an MD. :D

Bumpin' it - Come on y'all - if you have time I'd really like some more input. Thanks. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kiddoc2B:
•Hey Swampy!!

I'm still making my decision -- I have had a very disasterous run in with the financial aid people at UAB. Essentially you can't borrow over what they say and I have to have some extra the first year so I can help my husband some. The transition from having a salary to not having one is what I need help with and UAB is pretty rigid.
•••••kiddoc2B -- Actually, the behavior you're describing at UAB (at least from your post) is pretty standard among medical schools -- I think nearly every financial aid office sets an upper limit beyond which they do not approve you to borrow more. This is their way of trying to help you from accumulating an absurd amount of debt.

As far as the maximum budget you are approved for, this of course can vary greatly from school to school. My personal theory is that most of the private schools have more realistic and generous budgets for items like rent, food, miscellaneous expenses, etc. Of course, they also usually have a much higher tuition as well. Public schools tend to be a little more stingy/more unrealistic with their budgets, but it's manageable -- you just have to compromise more than you would like.

I would seriously consider the choice between UAB vs. Tulane. I love Tulane, think it's a great school, and love New Orleans, but when you graduate, I'm not sure you will appreciate the extra debt. It may not seem like a big deal now, but when you see the final numbers, you may not be that happy.

If the UAB financial aid package is the main thing turning you away from them right now, I would try to set up a meeting with a director of the FAO, and if that doesn't work, try to enlist the assistance of one of the directors or deans of Student Affairs -- schools tend to want to keep the students they have admitted, so they may try to come up with some sort of compromise.

As far as alternative loans, the main one that comes to mind is PLATO -- it's the only med school loan I'm aware of that does not require approval from your FAO. However, they have very high fees and rates. Charging up debt on your credit card may be preferable (and is what many students resort to).

Thanks lily cat,

I'm not looking forward to extra debt. But right now, I can't afford to go to UAB. MEDLOANS is not an option there and I will need help above their limits (which are lower than the Stafford Loan limits), just to maintain the two residences I will have to maintain. My husband can't move to B'ham (or anywhere) due to work, and I would have to rent an apt, buy furniture, pay for utilities etc living in B'ham. I've already spoken with their FAO (both people) and it's pretty hopeless. At least living with my dad will be free.

Thanks for the info. I know PLATO and Wells Fargo are out there, but I might as well charge my med education on my mastercard (which I have too much on as it is). MEDLOANS is only 4% interest, as opposed to 15%. I'm still trying to work it all out, but I'm not impressed with the way I've been treated. I just have an unusual situation and would have appreciated some better advice from the FAO other than "I'd hate for you to give up your medical education..." Yeah, like I'd do that.

The prelim financial aid package (just loans...no scholarships or grants yet) I was given by USA is VERY generous. After they take out tuition and fees, I'll have $17,000!!! I don't know if this is a lot to you, but I have been living off MUCH less for the last 5 years. I figure I'll have at least $5,000 a year of "extra" money. Looks like I'll get to throw out these ragged clothes and buy some new threads. I can finally finish furnishing an apartment too! How cool! :D

Sorry, the prospect of having more than $10,000 a year at my disposal makes me a little giddy. :oops:

You all probably have families to take care of, though.

I like everything about Tulane ... except the financial aid package.

This place is damn expensive, and although it's great here ... it's tough to imagine how heavy the burden will be after graduation.

I got a $3000 scholarship (not sure if it is renewable) and the opportunity to take $46,000 in loans. Yippee. I know of a fair amount of people who get $10,000 renewables ... That's all I know about scholarships...

Good luck with your choice,

Simul