Tulane University c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I don't know if these stats have already been posted somewhere else, but I heard this today from a very reliable source, and thought I'd share.

Tulane had 9,600 applicants to the med school this year, and the previous high was 6,200. So for all of you that have been accepted, you made it through some really stiff competition!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I don't know if these stats have already been posted somewhere else, but I heard this today from a very reliable source, and thought I'd share.

Tulane had 9,600 applicants to the med school this year, and the previous high was 6,200. So for all of you that have been accepted, you made it through some really stiff competition!

:)

9000+ primaries, 5000+ secondaries, 500+ interviews, and around 250-300 total acceptances.

I agree with Monkey22, Very excited to meet everyone.

In my opinion, there's no better place to be! I'm a current Undergrad at Tulane, and my time in NOLA has been UNBELIEVABLE!

If any of y'all are going to be in NOLA, it's a great time to visit! MARDI GRAS.... enough said. Let me know, I wouldn't mind meeting up and showing you the city!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I loved interviewin at Tulane n wldnt mind going there...but its just STILL too darn expensive, even w the 10k scholarship they give everybody....

Man, I loved interviewin at Tulane n wldnt mind going there...but its just STILL too darn expensive, even w the 10k scholarship they give everybody....

Do they really give everyone a 10k scholarship. I never heard about this

Do they really give everyone a 10k scholarship. I never heard about this

Well, I got one, and I thought I heard somewhere that everyone, or a lot of pple got one...

Has anyone received the background check request from Tulane yet?

Has anyone received the background check request from Tulane yet?

Yeah, I have gotten it as well. I also know someone else who received it yesterday

Well, I got one, and I thought I heard somewhere that everyone, or a lot of pple got one...

That's cool, I didn't get one with my acceptance unfortunately. I hope one comes my way at some point though

Also recieved the background check just yesterday.

Has anyone recieved any additional information from Financial Aid? I was reading something about a "SOM Addendum"...

Also recieved the background check just yesterday.

Has anyone recieved any additional information from Financial Aid? I was reading something about a "SOM Addendum"...

I started filling the addendum out but the one available last week seemed like it was for last year. I tried to call financial aid and couldn't get through. I still am waiting for my parents to fill out their taxes though so I can't finish it yet.

I started filling the addendum out but the one available last week seemed like it was for last year. I tried to call financial aid and couldn't get through. I still am waiting for my parents to fill out their taxes though so I can't finish it yet.

The financial aid office told me that the updated forms will be up around the end of Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info and link hoju and acreativemind03

Good to know I have a little more time

The green waves roll together.:thumbup:

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! =)

Can't wait to start at Tulane in the fall! Though I am making the move down a little early...want to have fun in the city before classes start up, even if it means a hotter-than-normal summer. =)

Excited to meet everyone soon!!!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! =)

Can't wait to start at Tulane in the fall! Though I am making the move down a little early...want to have fun in the city before classes start up, even if it means a hotter-than-normal summer. =)

Congratulations!! :hardy:

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! =)

Congrats. See you at orientation. :highfive:

Anyone doing the MD/MPH track and starting in summer?

Anyone doing the MD/MPH track and starting in summer?

I'm planning on moving down in May so I can start MPH classes in June. May can't come soon enough...How about you?

I'm really considering pursuing the MD/MPH but cannot decide for the life of me if its worth it. For those of you pursuing Tulane's MD/MPH, how do you plan on utilizing the MPH as a future physician???? As a future doc, I want to be a surgeon, partake in global health efforts, and maybe teach as a professor. I know the MPH will probably help, but as to how much and how specifically, I am clueless.

I'm also sure it probably helps a tad for residency applications, but does it help considerably?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Although I haven't made up my mind completely about Tulane, its my top choice as of right now so hopefully I'll see ya guys in the fall!!! :hardy:

I'm doing the MD/MPH in the health systems management track because I envision pursuing an administrative/management role in health care in addition to patient care (i.e. medical director of nursing home is my dream job). I believe that the degree will not only help me get a job like this, but will also prepare me for the "business" side of healthcare.

Does anyone know when the June MPH classes begin?? I can't find a specific date anywhere, or even an estimate. Any info would be much appreciated! I need to figure out when I'm going to move!

I am curious about some of the questions on this addendum. They have options to receive the maximum amount of loans that you are eligible for under numerous different lenders, but what happens if we receive some kind of non-loan aid? Do they still give you the max? Do you have the option to decrease the amount before it is actually loaned?

I guess I will not be lazy and research this, but real people input might be beneficial.

Non-laziness paid off. You can reject the plan. Huzzah!

In case anyone is looking for housing in the New Orleans area, I'm moving out of my place uptown/lower garden district so my brother-in-law is looking for a roommate. It's a beautiful place and takes less than 10 minutes to get to the downtown area. I lived with him for my last three years of med school at LSU and he's an awesome roommate, perfect for a med student. There's also a park across the street and a coffee shop within walking distance down the street which is great for studying.

You would basically have the upstairs part of the house to yourself which includes a big bedroom, two closets, and a loft which is good for studying.

If you are interested, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call Chris at (504) 813-4098.

Does anyone know when the June MPH classes begin?? I can't find a specific date anywhere, or even an estimate. Any info would be much appreciated! I need to figure out when I'm going to move!

Im pretty sure they start at (or around) June 1st and continue for the entire month. Then round two begins on July 1st (or as close as possible).

Im currently at Tulane, will be entering the medical school next year and also am interested in the MPH. Some of the public health courses are listed online.

Here is a link.... feel free to browse, it should work. http://classschedule.tulane.edu/

Hope that helped, see you next year

Anyone know when they send out financial aid packages? I know they just recently posted the addendum (which I'm glad I checked since its due on the 16th!), but how long does it take afterwards to get the package? Do they need your tax returns before sending you anything?

Also, whats the consensus on the 10k scholarship? Does everyone get it? I thought I was special....

hey, i did not get a $10k scholarship. so no, not everyone gets it, and yes you are special :)

Kind of off topic, but is anyone planning to start MPH classes in July (is that possible?) or in the spring? I just can't bring myself to start class as early as June....

Kind of off topic, but is anyone planning to start MPH classes in July (is that possible?) or in the spring? I just can't bring myself to start class as early as June....

When I was on my interview, a couple students said that they did not start the summer before school started and they were still able to finish on time.

I'm on spring break right now, so I came down to New Orleans to visit my sisters who are both students at Tulane undergrad (I'm sitting in my sister's dorm room right now, haha). This trip has definitely cemented for me that I definitely want to go to Tulane next year! It's so beautiful down here. All the azaleas are in bloom, and I don't think I can think of a happier place to spend the next four years.

Has anyone looked into apartments for next year? I was wondering how everyone was going to go about finding roommates and apartments... I'm hoping to take care of that stuff early and be traveling all summer. (Is it a little creeper to ask about living arrangements over a message board? Sorry!)

Has anyone looked into apartments for next year? I was wondering how everyone was going to go about finding roommates and apartments... I'm hoping to take care of that stuff early and be traveling all summer. (Is it a little creeper to ask about living arrangements over a message board? Sorry!)

I'm holding off on actively looking for an apartment for now, because I want to see what happens with my state school. I've begun looking around on Craigslist just to get a sense of what's available, and if I don't get into UMass, I'll probably begin active efforts to find a place around early/mid-June.

I don't think it's creepy to ask about living arrangements on SDN :) What I imagine will happen -- I think most schools do this -- is the school will put together some sort of list of students for those who are looking for roommates, and people will sort themselves into groups based on lifestyle/smoking/pets/etc. If Tulane doesn't do this, I imagine lots of people will do their networking here!

Who's planning on living in deming?!

Anyone know what percentage of first years tend to live there?

Seems like it wouldnt be bad for just the first year?...

The first year students i met during interviews didn't have a whole lot of positive things to say about Deming. I think the chief complaint was that set up was too similar to a dorm, not enough like an apartment. Also, that it was more expensive than apartments that people found on their own.

virusgirl: a friend of mine who's also going to Tulane said that he thinks they are putting together the housing forum, but i personally have no idea when that's going out

I'm certain that I don't want to live in Deming. There are so many wonderful neighborhoods and houses with so much character in New Orleans, so I don't really want to live in a bland dorm-style apartment. Also, even though it's super close and convenient to the med school, it's not really close to much else, so I don't think the location is great.

Several people last year found a house they liked using the housing forum, and then used the facebook group to find roommates. The housing forum found on the student portal is sluggish right now but picks up in april and may.

I stayed at demming the night before my interview, and I must say that it was pretty bad. There were large bugs all over the floor! The appliances were very old and the paint was chipping off the walls, etc. I would not live there if given the choice. Granted, the location to all med school classes is unbeatable. But as stated above, new orleans is full of charming neighborhoods and homes with a lot of character. I'm still looking to find something affordable, however.

Does anyone know when Fin. Aid packages come out? Ive called multiple times but have gotten no concreate date... Also, what about the MD/MPH applicants? Dose anyone know when we find out if we apply? Because the app, I believe is still not due for another month or so..... Thanks y'all

Does anyone know when Fin. Aid packages come out? Ive called multiple times but have gotten no concreate date... Also, what about the MD/MPH applicants? Dose anyone know when we find out if we apply? Because the app, I believe is still not due for another month or so..... Thanks y'all

I faxed in my addendum on Monday, and then sent an e-mail asking if they had gotten it (since my fax machine is really unreliable). When they replied, they told me that counselors were going to begin packaging aid in "the next week or so" and that we would receive an e-mail and snail mail with our packages. Sorry, I know that's not really specific, but it's all I've got.

DO NOT live in Deming!! That is the best advice I can give you. You can definitely find something cheap and SO much better. Trust me on this one.

And don't be in a rush about financial aid....Tulane is known for being painfully slow in that department. It's pretty awful. But, it will happen, and if they don't release your money in the time you need it, they give you a $2000 "advance" so you can pay for rent/food/etc. Really, all you can do is turn your stuff in on time and sit back, relax, and enjoy that you got in!!!

Any more questions, feel free to message me, I've been here for a year and would love to help.

I was thinking the Saulet would be a good option for a first year med student but have heard some pretty mized reviews. Does anyone have a suggestion of another managed apartment buliding where med students live?

Thanks!

Can't wait for some warm NOLA weather :laugh: