Tulane University c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checking to see if anyone received their financial aid package yet?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing yet. It should be soon though...hopefully.

Yeah, judging from the time line people were talking about earlier I figured it should be arriving soon. I am just too anxious I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi - does anyone remember what the average daily schedule is like for tulane med students? How long per day are you in class? I know that the schedule is kind of like a block schedule, but in a not-so-clear way. I'm having trouble remembering and I can't find any clear answers on the web. It looks like in year 1 you take a course called Organization of the Human Body that includes biochem and anatomy together? so they are one course? i'm confused...

I have two quick questions for any current Tulane students.

- How do third year rotations get scheduled? Are you just told when/where to show up or do students have some input into which rotations they do at what time?
- Are there any rotations that are considered to be particularly good or bad? (that is, I know at some schools something like OB/GYN or peds will have a reputation for being unusually good or awful)

Thanks!

Hi, this is a question for anybody out there who is trying to decide (or was previously trying to decide) between Tulane and another med school. What ultimately made up your mind to attend Tulane? Were there any particular factors you used besides the obvious to make your decision? I'm in this position right now and I am having the hardest time deciding. Any advice/insight on how you made up your minds would be very helpful!

Thanks

Congrats guys on your acceptance, Tulane is an awesome school and New Orleans is a great city to live in! I don't know if you have joined yet, but there is a facebook page created for the Class of 2013 if you are not apart of it already...

BUT, I have a room/private bath/walk in closet with an additional side closet available for summer (June 1-July 31st) in a 2BD/2BA, 650$/month for a total of 1300$ for the entire summer, including utilities! Fully furnished, great neighborhood uptown where many med students live within a mile radius! Totally safe, a few blocks from St. Charles and the cable car, and the undergrad campus/gym. Great way to get to know the city/find housing for the incoming year.

Craiglist is good, but there are secure housing advertisements on TMEDWEB from the SOM website where medical students themselves post ads, so it is a little more reliable than the ads on craigslist, esp if you can't search for housing in person! AND I would suggest starting to get to know the areas NOW and to get a feel of the housing available... there are a lot of hit or miss areas, so it is important to find somewhere legit and everything you want!!!

So, if interested for my summer sublease and want to see pics or need more info, email me at dammon@ tulane.edu... OR if you have any additional questions on ANYTHING, don't hesitate to email me either! Have a great summer guys and looking forward to meeting you, you're going to LOVEEE it here! :)

To the person who asked why I chose Tulane...

The most important thing to me was the medical schools intense commitment to its students, as shown through the student interview, as well as their desire to serve New Orleans (Comm service req). I want to go to a school that wants to serve the greater good and I felt that New Orleans, especially post-katrina, will really give me that opportunity.

other things I liked was that the student body didn't seem miserable, unlike many medical schools i've been to, and they were all friendly.

The facilities also were the top of any school I interviewed at.

Hope that helps.

P.S. 4 years of studying...may as well be able to do it in the warm weather with a hurricane in your hand...I'm only half kidding about the hurricane part...

My mom surprised me today by sending me a Tulane SOM t-shirt. Perhaps it's nerdy of me, but I'm kind of excited to wear it tomorrow. Anyone else sporting Tulane attire yet? ;)

My mom surprised me today by sending me a Tulane SOM t-shirt. Perhaps it's nerdy of me, but I'm kind of excited to wear it tomorrow. Anyone else sporting Tulane attire yet? ;)

Guilty. I got one for Christmas, but it is just a regular Tulane shirt. Man, I would really like to sport the SOM shirt.

I got one as a gift too and was very excited to wear it at all opportunities. Unfortunately the size ran smaller than most other T-shirts and I looked rather silly showing off my belly. I am going to NO though next weekend and will be picking up a more size appropriate Tulane SOM shirt to wear several time a week :D

for the most part i agree with the long post about the neighborhoods in New Orleans. I, however, might say that the nicer parts of the garden district are definitely safer than uptown (coming from a Tulane graduate and first year med student). We also have easier access to more restaurants, coffee shops (good for studying) and boutiques, bars etc than uptown does. I would not live on streets filled with undergrads because they are easy targets, and although the neighborhood itself isnt bad, people go there to take advantage of the innocent/drunk student population. If you like uptown live on a street with families and "real people" or grad students. Uptown is nice because of Audubon park, the university facilities and the gym!

I live in the garden district near 8th street and I love it!

Last edited:
Hi - does anyone remember what the average daily schedule is like for tulane med students? How long per day are you in class? I know that the schedule is kind of like a block schedule, but in a not-so-clear way. I'm having trouble remembering and I can't find any clear answers on the web. It looks like in year 1 you take a course called Organization of the Human Body that includes biochem and anatomy together? so they are one course? i'm confused...

Check out http://tmedweb.tulane.edu/home/
This is the official med school portal and you can find daily schedules as well as curriculum maps and more in the columns on the left and right. On the Top Left click [T1] under Choose Your View and you can see the T1 daily schedule for this week. Manipulate the arrows by the calendar and you can see week to week, back to Jan.

...re:Organization of the Human Body, we have some pretty names for our courses: Method of Disease = Pathology. Don't know why they like to rename them, but hey, whatever works...they're still the same standard med school courses. Fall semester at Tulane as a T1 you now take anatomy & biochem and finish those by thanksgiving...that's the new curriculum they just started this year.

Here's a pretty graphic of the new curriculum: http://tulane.edu/som/admissions/images/SOMCURRICULUM081809_1.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have two quick questions for any current Tulane students.

- How do third year rotations get scheduled? Are you just told when/where to show up or do students have some input into which rotations they do at what time?
- Are there any rotations that are considered to be particularly good or bad? (that is, I know at some schools something like OB/GYN or peds will have a reputation for being unusually good or awful)

Thanks!

Rotations are picked by lottery a couple months before the start of each block. Usually you schedule for 4 months at a time. Core rotations are two months each. So for example I just scheduled for July thru August, Surgery then September thru October, Peds. The director emails you a time and date based on your lottery number and at that time you call him and schedule. Depending on your lottery number and where you are in your schooling you have a lot of input (ie in the first lottery stuff closes up b/c everyone wants to do the same stuff (cores), but by the end of 3rd year you can get whatever you want because you've done all the required stuff and are onto electives). There'll be another lottery in September when we schedule Nov-Feb, and again in January for Mar-Jun. They do some funny mathematical trick adding, dividing or something your first 2 lottery #'s to make your 3rd lottery so you get a good one if you get housed in the first two. All in all it's pretty fair and in the end everyone will tell you the order of your clerkships doesn't really matter.

Regarding rotations, I'm not aware of any that have particularly worse or better reputations. They all have the general reputations similar to all med school clerkships, eg, surgery is a beast of hours, pediatricians are known for being friendly,etc. These, like all stereotypes, have truth to them and they have inconsistencies. Take them with a grain of salt. You can read about them in the general med student forum.

I got my financial aid package today. My wallet hurts, but it is worth it.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to next year's class!

If you are looking for a place to live I have a 3 BR 2 BA apartment for rent uptown. It is is the first floor of my house (my roommates and I live upstaris and are medical students) and has a washer and dryer and fully furnished kitchen. It is a 15 minute drive to the med school and a short walk to Maple St and St. Charles Ave. Rent is 1400/month. Please send me a PM if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks!

I got my financial aid package today. My wallet hurts, but it is worth it.

I just got back from New Orleans myself to find the financial aid package sitting in my mail-box. It does hurt, but I am glad that part is squared away too.

I just got back from New Orleans myself to find the financial aid package sitting in my mail-box. It does hurt, but I am glad that part is squared away too.

Yeah, mine came this week. I was actually sort of relieved -- I've been pretty diligent about saving, and was worried that Tulane would say "nice job! Now you only get $50,000 in loans!"

Yeah, mine came this week. I was actually sort of relieved -- I've been pretty diligent about saving, and was worried that Tulane would say "nice job! Now you only get $50,000 in loans!"

That would be pretty unfortunate if they punished you for that, glad to see that wasn't the case.

I am pretty excited that we only have 3 more months now till orientation starts. If these next few months go as quickly as the last few, I will be very happy.

PS. Sorry to everyone about the massive amounts of posts that happened just above. My work computer freaked out and just kept duplicating it. I swear I wasn't trying to boost my post count.

I know, orientation is coming up!!!!! It definitely makes me feel better when my Western blots don't work to know that I'll be starting something completely new and different soon.

Shameless plus: if anyone is beginning to think about housing arrangements, I am looking for a pet-friendly roommate (or roommates) to share a place in the Uptown or Garden District areas! If anyone is interested, please PM.

Last edited:
I am applying Early Decision to Tulane. Any suggestions from people who participated in this program? Anything specific you put in your application that you believe helped you get accepted?

Hey everybody,

During a recent trip down to New Orleans, I noticed a lack of Bank Of America's in the city. What major bank is the most popular in New Orleans. I prefer one with with a good amount of ATM's throughout the city. If any current students read this, is their a particular bank that most students use.

Thanks

Hey everybody,

During a recent trip down to New Orleans, I noticed a lack of Bank Of America's in the city. What major bank is the most popular in New Orleans. I prefer one with with a good amount of ATM's throughout the city. If any current students read this, is their a particular bank that most students use.

Thanks

Chase Bank by far has the largest number of branches and ATMs in the N.O. area, plus most Walgreens have a Chase ATM. Next would be Capital One, then Whitney, and a host of regional/local banks.

Chase Bank by far has the largest number of branches and ATMs in the N.O. area, plus most Walgreens have a Chase ATM. Next would be Capital One, then Whitney, and a host of regional/local banks.

Great, thanks for the advice. I will probably go with Chase then.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Emergency Q- I can't find my acceptance letter- where do we send our 500 dollar deposit?
Thanks!

Hey everybody! Emergency Q- I can't find my acceptance letter- where do we send our 500 dollar deposit?
Thanks!

I was just about to post the same question! It is NOT the website in the acceptance letter though -- I remember they sent an email with the actual link (which I, in my unending genius, have somehow managed to delete)

Anyone here know when the waitlist is supposed to start moving, or if it is going to move at all? I talked with Susana about 2 weeks ago and she said it wouldn't be earlier than today, but I figured if people started getting called this thread would probably blow up.

Thoughts?

Anyone here know when the waitlist is supposed to start moving, or if it is going to move at all? I talked with Susana about 2 weeks ago and she said it wouldn't be earlier than today, but I figured if people started getting called this thread would probably blow up.

Thoughts?

I bet it is too early for people on the waitlist to be contacted. May 15th was the deadline for narrowing down your acceptances to one school, meaning some kids said "no" to their Tulane acceptance. Thus some slots opened up on May 15th, but I am sure that it takes a bit of time for admissions to confirm that and contact the next people on the waitlist. Then maybe people who were set on Tulane get off the waitlist to their #1 school in July, so they say "no" to their Tulane spot. No idea how long that would take though. Good luck to you :)

I bet it is too early for people on the waitlist to be contacted. May 15th was the deadline for narrowing down your acceptances to one school, meaning some kids said "no" to their Tulane acceptance. Thus some slots opened up on May 15th, but I am sure that it takes a bit of time for admissions to confirm that and contact the next people on the waitlist. Then maybe people who were set on Tulane get off the waitlist to their #1 school in July, so they say "no" to their Tulane spot. No idea how long that would take though. Good luck to you :)

This is definitely logical. I looked up a thread from like 2005 that had a few people writing about how they got in from the waitlist on the 15th. Haha, my brain is addled.

This is definitely logical. I looked up a thread from like 2005 that had a few people writing about how they got in from the waitlist on the 15th. Haha, my brain is addled.

lol i saw the same thing. Praying for a mircale here

Congratulations to all the new Tulane med students! I am sure you will have a wonderful experience here and I can guarantee you it will be more a unique 4 years than you could have at any other school in the country. I'm a New Yorker going back to New York for residency and coming down here for med school was an excellent decision.

ANYWAY- I am sad to say that after three years I am moving out of my lovely Garden District apartment. This is real Garden Dist- Second St. between Magazine and Camp. All the famous houses they bring the tours around for are just around the corner. It is very safe with private security patrol and gated entry. Walking distance to Magazine St shops, streetcar, and parade route. Ten minutes to med school (also bikeable), 5 minutes to interstate, 15 minutes to uptown campus. Ample and safe street parking. The girls upstairs are med students. The roommate currently in the apartment is a Tulane public health student. The apartment has traditionally been passed on by word of mouth among med students and the landlords have never really had to list it. The rent is extremely reasonable for this area (high tax bracket, safe, convenient): $650 plus utilities. It is a 1000+ SqFt 2 BR/1BA with balcony, wood floors, sunny, all appliances including washer dryer. My room will be available starting in June. If you are interested and would like to see pictures please contact Lisa @ [email protected]

I've rented the second bedroom to other roommates several times and I can say that this will go fast so contact Lisa asap if you're interested in securing a safe, awesome place to live in NoLa!!!
Best of luck!!!

Congratulations to all!!

I will be a first year student at Tulane Med. in the fall and look forward to meeting everybody!

My roommate and I have recently rented a house in Uptown. It has really convenient access to everything and is in walking distance of the trolley. We are looking for one more roommate. Rent per person is $600/month. This amount includes water, cable, high-speed internet and a monthly housekeeper (so most of the utilities). Only electricity must be paid separately...which divided would be approximately $50/person.

Amenities:
-Large two story fully furnished (down to towels and coffee maker)
- 3-bedroom with mantels, high ceilings, stained glass, hardwood floors and high ceilings. -Gallery, balcony in front and nice back garden
-Great location close to both Universities and CBD
-Located 2 blocks off St Charles b/w Baronne and Dryades(v. close to Parade Route)
-8 rooms: 3 bedrooms/1.5 bath (approx. 1550 sqft)
-Washer and dryer in back shed with plenty of storage space in accessible attic
-Central A/C & Heat, Water Paid. Cable TV and High Speed Internet available.
-Some pets ok with additional deposit.
Pictures of the house at http://marengo.shutterfly.com

The house has been repainted upstairs in brighter colors. So, if you are interested in seeing those pictures, just contact me.

I look forward to the fall!

Neha Solanki

[email protected]
[email protected]

If there are any Tulane Med Students out there I have a quick question. I was going through some of my stuff before moving and I found my TI-89 graphing calculator. Will there ever be any reason for me to have this calculator in med school or should I just go ahead and sell it?

Thanks

If anyone is looking for a place to live, I know of a nice place in Old Metairie (very good area). It is a 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex. The tenant in the other half of the duplex is a med student. There is a nice yard with some landscaping/flowers, central heating and air, washer and dryer hookups, within 6 miles of the school, good landlords, etc. The price is $875 per month. Call Jaimie at 504-885-6585 or email [email protected]. Good luck to everyone.

I am not a medical student at Tulane, but I just had a quick question for those attending this school. I can't seem to access the General Clinical Research Center portal through the Tulane University School of Medicine website. Does anyone know why this is? I just wanted to research this and see what types of opportunities there are for medical students at the GCRC in terms of research. Thanks! Any input is greatly appreciated

Hi everyone,

I have yet to receive my financial aid packet. Frustrating, since I turned all my forms in months ago... I know tuition generally fluctuates, with the most expensive year being third year, and I was wondering if anyone had any information on that. Have we been told what the cost for each year will be? I don't know if this is something pinned down years in advance, or if they set the tuition just before the beginning of each year. Any insight would be helpful!

Carlin, I think something probably happened with your paperwork (got lost in the mail or something). I believe I was accepted after you, and I got my aid package some time ago, so yours should definitely be done by now assuming you met all of the deadlines. I would call them and ask what's going on.

I don't believe we've been told what the cost for future years will be, and at this point it's just a projection. But yes, costs increase (for all years) each year, and years 3 and 4 are more expensive than the pre-clinical years.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in... wow, just about a month!

I am a new orleans native, tulane med grad, and medical school clinical attending. We'll be seeing each other in the halls before long.

I stumbled on this thread, and I wish that we had the same in 94 when I started. Here are my opinions regarding living here:

--there are no safe neighborhoods in new orleans or the suburbs since hurricane Katrina. The medical school and surrounding areas is always threat level orange. All valuables in a car should be secured every time you park it. Every time you walk to and from your car, regardless of day or night, you should be extremely aware of your surroundings. If you doubt, visit the undergrad campus and read the yellow 'off-campus crime alert' flyers stuck up everywhere. Read the ones stuck up on the medical school bulletin boards. Visit nola.com and read the crime reports.

--having lived here, off and on, for 25+ years, I can say with confidence that drunk students are criminal targets. The criminals are very, very good at what they do. Drunk students are not good at anything.

--Get a street map. Drive Canal Blvd from the river to the lake and back, and Napoleon/broad from the river to the lake and back, and Claiborne ave from the med school to carollton ave, along the streetcar line. You will get a good feel for the boundaries of uptown, and see a lot of destroyed homes from Katrina. It is important that you see this. Then get on the hwy west to causeway blvd north and look at metairie and the mall. If still adventurous, cross the river to the westbank, just keep going straight on the westbank expressway, and from that elevated expressway you will see a bunch of familiar big box stores.
Easter egg on the west bank, underappreciated: right off the bridge, take Gen. DeGaulle to the left, and take a right on Behrman hwy (by the 5 min ute oil change.) Drive for a while, and just when you think you made a mistake, on your left is HONG KONG MARKET, a huge asian grocery with a vietnamese noodle place, bubble tea, steam buns, et al.

--Medical school for most people is extremely difficult, but you are all up to it.

Hey guys, I JUST got accepted. Does anyone know of any apartment complexes extremely close to campus? I wont have a car.

Also, does school start on July 31st? Or is that the first day of orientation?

Hey guys, I JUST got accepted. Does anyone know of any apartment complexes extremely close to campus? I wont have a car.

Also, does school start on July 31st? Or is that the first day of orientation?

Welcome to the class, SBK! Will you definitely be joining us then? (since it's such a late acceptance and you're probably all set to start at WSU!)

The only complex very close to campus that I know of is Deming, the grad student housing. A better bet would be for you to find a place Uptown that is within walking distance of Reily -- you can catch the shuttle to the medical school there, so you won't need a car for your first two years (would probably come in handy later, though).

Orientation begins July 31st. I believe classes start either August 4th or 5th.

Congrats on your acceptance!

You should also join the facebook group. There's a thread on there where people post about apartments, roommates, etc -- you could probably find something on there!

Is there a gym that is around the med building, but closer than Tulane undergrad campus? I know there is one in that new building, but its mostly just cardio stuff. I dont really want to drive 15-20 minutes to and fro to get a workout in. Maybe im just spoiled living in SoCal tho with a gym every 5 blocks.