Tulane vs. Pitt vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopegrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me a little help on my decision here. I am looking into the global health track at all three of these schools (at Pitt it would be their dual degree program MPH/MID with GSPIA). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to decipher which program is better than the other. According to rankings, they're all about the same. However, I know that when you just look at the international health departments that has to be different. Any advice at all would help! Current students, have you heard anything through the grapevine from other students or have experiences good/bad that you could tell me to help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know if this helps but I've heard negative (but vague) things about BU from an Epid professor of mine who is originally from Boston, and another Epid professor as well. I would recommend Tulane or Pitt, but I don't know enough about your interests/situation or the programs at those respective schools to narrow it down beyond that, sorry.

That's pretty funny because I was encouraged to apply to BU by Harvard professors whom I was taking classes in epidemiology and statistics with last fall.

People always have their opinions and they're not objective very often. Take that as you will. Generally, people will always favor what they have, and reject what they do not, or cannot, have. Its human nature, and you will see that everywhere.

Best opinions to get would be from people who have actually been to the schools in question.

I picked Tulane over BU last year (for Fall 07) and I'm pretty happy with my decision. I picked Tulane because I'd volunteered a lot internationally in undergrad summers and Tulane seemed to have a bigger reputation internationally. Sometimes I regret not picking BU only because I prefer Boston as a town to New Orleans (even though NO has pretty much perked back up after Katrina) and also because I did undergrad there (Boston) and was really familiar with the area. However, in terms of international reputation as well as the quality of education I feel I'm getting, I think I'm overall pretty happy with my choice of Tulane.

I visited BU and everyone seemed really nice though. I can't say much about Pitt because I haven't really heard much about their program. But I think you could probably be pretty happy at BU or Tulane.