Tulane's "Acceptance Range"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Against all reason, I called Tulane again today. When I heard the lady utter the word ACCEPTANCE, I was so ecstatic I totally ignored the word that followed, which of course was the word RANGE. That's apparently what they call their waitlist - acceptance range. I'm at work right now and can't bring myself to do anything at all.

I totally thought that I would be accepted. Just goes to show you, predictability is completely absent from the nature of this game.

Man, this fu*cking sucks.

Does anyone know if their range has a ranking system that they will tell you about?

Members don't see this ad.

Acceptance range is actually quite good, and doesn't necessarily mean you won't eventually get in. Most of my class was on the waiting list at some point. And people do get rejected after the interview.

If you really want to go to Tulane, write a letter. If what you want is an acceptance somewhere to ease your mind, I'm sure you'll get in elsewhere if you got interviews this early in the game.

Acceptance range is actually quite good, and doesn't necessarily mean you won't eventually get in. Most of my class was on the waiting list at some point. And people do get rejected after the interview.

If you really want to go to Tulane, write a letter. If what you want is an acceptance somewhere to ease your mind, I'm sure you'll get in elsewhere if you got interviews this early in the game.

Thanks for trying to comfort me.

Do you currently go to Tulane?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm currently a 4th year, on vacation for a month and currently between residency interviews. So I have a lot of time on my hands (hence the SDN surfing).

Samoa, I live in Fl and am thinking of adding Tulane to my application list. What do you think about the school? Have you enjoyed your time there? Do you feel like they have helped you learn more than you would have at other schools? Do you have any pros/cons?

Thanks

The weird thing is I know someone on SDN with a 30 and 3.5 GPA who got accepted into Tulane. And while I am nothing but happy for this fellow, I can't imagine why they'd waitlist me (Please interpret that as being said with as little arrogance as possible.)

33P/3.93 - and with that, I've just tossed into the wind any shred of class I had left for this God-forsaken process.

I ask God: Are you happy now? Well, are you?

I don't think it's primarily about numbers at Tulane, post-interview. I think it's mostly about letters and interview ratings, and that nebulous thing called "good fit."

Tulane students are a very different breed from med students in general, and I'd venture a guess that most of those who are happy at Tulane would be pretty unhappy just about anywhere else. Conversely, there are people who were very unhappy at Tulane, but who transferred out after the hurricane and are thriving elsewhere. So the big question the interviewers have to answer is, "are you a Tulane kind of person." I've been a student interviewer in years past, and it's actually remarkably easy to pick out the people who will a) thrive at Tulane and b) choose Tulane over other schools. And it makes sense for Tulane to admit the people they're sure of in this respect, and wait and see who among the rest wants to go to Tulane the most.

I don't think it's primarily about numbers at Tulane, post-interview. I think it's mostly about letters and interview ratings, and that nebulous thing called "good fit."

Tulane students are a very different breed from med students in general, and I'd venture a guess that most of those who are happy at Tulane would be pretty unhappy just about anywhere else. Conversely, there are people who were very unhappy at Tulane, but who transferred out after the hurricane and are thriving elsewhere. So the big question the interviewers have to answer is, "are you a Tulane kind of person." I've been a student interviewer in years past, and it's actually remarkably easy to pick out the people who will a) thrive at Tulane and b) choose Tulane over other schools. And it makes sense for Tulane to admit the people they're sure of in this respect, and wait and see who among the rest wants to go to Tulane the most.

I concur. I went to tulane undergrad, worked at the medschool, was accepted but chose LSU for monetary reasons . . . my general impression was that numbers got you to the interview, which was about finding out if you fit in. I think thats one of the reasons their student interview has so much weight. If you show tulane that they are really your top choice you have a good chance of getting off their waitlist.

I'm also a Tulaner, and I'm in Samoa's class. Yep, the wait sucks. It is just something that some of us have to deal with.

To whoever asked...Tulane students have this real strong family like bond. You notice it when you're there. It's something that's hard to explain until you are a student, but it comes out when you interview here, or at least I noticed it when I interviewed here. IMO, this is the greatest aspect of Tulane. That and the fact that it is in one of the most culturally unique cities in the US.

PS. Samoa, you must PM me and let me know who you are. I've been on SDN for like a year now, and have not figured out who you are in our class.

I'm also a Tulaner, and I'm in Samoa's class. Yep, the wait sucks. It is just something that some of us have to deal with.

To whoever asked...Tulane students have this real strong family like bond. You notice it when you're there. It's something that's hard to explain until you are a student, but it comes out when you interview here, or at least I noticed it when I interviewed here. IMO, this is the greatest aspect of Tulane. That and the fact that it is in one of the most culturally unique cities in the US.

PS. Samoa, you must PM me and let me know who you are. I've been on SDN for like a year now, and have not figured out who you are in our class.

I know what you mean. I really liked the people there and got along great with everyone. The students really shine amongst all the medical students I've met this year.

im curious, can you expand on what makes a "tulane kind of person?" in your opinion, what kind of person would thrive at tulane? thanks!

im curious, can you expand on what makes a "tulane kind of person?" in your opinion, what kind of person would thrive at tulane? thanks!

Laid back, chill, doesn't stress out too much, gets along with everybody, enjoys partying, would enjoy the nightlife New Orleans has to offer, and would still be a devoted student.

Basically, the Tulane student works hard, but plays harder.

Laid back, chill, doesn't stress out too much, gets along with everybody, enjoys partying, would enjoy the nightlife New Orleans has to offer, and would still be a devoted student.

Basically, the Tulane student works hard, but plays harder.

in other words, i should show up at an interview wearing mardi gras beads and a PDR dosing guide in my coat pocket :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have to be a hard-core partyer or lounge lizard to feel at home here, and there are many students who are not like that. But definitely laid-back, cooperative rather than competitive, easy to get along with, smart enough to succeed AND do whatever else is important to you, etc. Tulane people generally come across as very secure in who they are, even if they're complete freaks by most people's standards (and I mean that in a good way). It's something that's hard to define, but easy to see. Someone who is intolerant of other people's eccentricities, uptight about drinking and partying or insecure in some important way will really not fit in.

I thought this thread was about Tufts but nevermind... damn it... who cares about Tulane :p

I wonder if bruinboy can make a single post without insulting someone.

Anyway, to cheer you up, here's my handy-dandy "What Are My Chances" calculator:

You had 7 interviews, right? Statistically, your chance of getting in if you're interviewed is about 50%. So there is a:

1 - (1/2)^7 chance that you will get into med school.

You have a 99.2% chance of getting in somewhere. Congratulations, future doctor.

On the Tulane secondary under interests, I put shotgun shooting (skeet and ducks). You think they'll hold it against me?

I am really hoping for an interview there.

thats assuming that getting in is 50/50 as in half the pool they interview will be granted an acceptance. But with his stats, id probably jack that up a bit. But I don't wanna say anything that might Jinx it. :)

lol, I saw this thread and was really confused because I knew you got into Baylor, so I just kept thinking "why does he care whether or not he gets into Tulane?"

But then I realized it's a month old, lol.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how many people are put in the "acceptance range" list...I heard back today and was happy I didnt get rejected outright but am a bit worried that everyone is put on this list who is not accepted and since no one got in last year off of this list Im hanging on to false hope...Any thoughts?

If you are on the acceptance range list and are unsure about getting off of it, seriously consider applying to the Anatomy Certification Program at Tulane. You can only apply if you've been waitlisted at any medical school (not just Tulane), but if you really want to get in, it is the closest thing to a guarantee you can get. You take Anatomy and Histology with the first year class, if you beat the class average its basically automatic acceptance, if you don't fail you still have a shot because they use you as an Anatomy TA for the next year and they don't want to drain the number of those. I did it this past fall, got accepted to Tulane. Not only is it a good in, its a great program to get to see if you will really be happy in medical school and if you really will like Tulane. So definitely look into that. You can probably get the application now, but they don't make decisions on it until June, which does kind of suck, but well worth it.

cool...ill look into it...thanks deacon

one question though, when you retook the class did you reapply to tulane through amcas and retake the mcat or one or the other?

I just got word of MY Acceptance Range status. booooo! Yeah, DOES anyone know the numbers? If there is a chance this year of people moving off the list even though noone did last year? Why that happened last year? Geez, and acceptance would have been really nice. :oops:

I dont know the numbers but if you read the letter it says that the majority of students accepted to Tulane were at one point or another on the "acceptance range" list. Hopefully we get some luck on our side and people actually move off of this list this year.

There was no one accepted off of last year's waitlist, in fact this year's first year class came in at about 173 give or take a few students, whereas their normal class size was 155. This happened because so many people wanted to come down to help the new New Orleans (one can only assume). This year, however, they are increasing the class size to 170 I believe.
Not sure what you mean about retaking classes. If you take Anatomy and Histology in the ACP you don't have to take them again, in fact you are a TA. So for those of you going to Tulane, your anatomy TAs will be your fellow T1's who have already taken anatomy. You don't have to retake the MCAT, but you DO have to apply through AMCAS (that's important). If you made it on the list that means Tulane thinks that you are a qualified applicant numbers-wise, they just couldn't find a spot for you in that year, so as long as you prove yourself by doing well they have no problem accepting you when the program is over. I'd wait until May 15 until you really start worrying though, a lot of movement can happen until then (and even more movement between May 15 and June in fact, so don't give up any hopes yet, it'll happen.

right on...sorry for the confusion but you gave me the answers I was looking for regarding the classes and such...thanks for the advice

Why is there such a discrepancy between the letter and what people are reporting on SDN? Like a PP said, the letter said most of the class comes from acceptance range, but on SDN people are saying no one was accepted from acceptance range. I am so confused... and sad....and worried. :(

Why is there such a discrepancy between the letter and what people are reporting on SDN? Like a PP said, the letter said most of the class comes from acceptance range, but on SDN people are saying no one was accepted from acceptance range. I am so confused... and sad....and worried. :(

That's because normally, that's true. Most of us did come off the acceptance range in years past. However, in the first admission cycle after the storm, they never needed to go to the wait list (w/o sacrificing grades/MCAT scores - they were the same as previous years). And I don't know if that trend will continue this year or not, but you shouldn't let it get you down. Def. show interest if you are truely interested and you think you're a good fit for the school!!

thanks vegetables. i really appreciate the clarification and encouragement! i'm sending a LOI out.

I'd like to announce my membership in the "acceptance range". More waiting is daunting, but in the end, Tulane seems worth it.