Tums for dogs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you give dogs Tums or Pepto? Just curious. I know you can give cats pepcid.

Members don't see this ad.

I really hope this is not in response to something your roommate/friend/pet-sitter did .......

I guess indirectly, yes. Since I was gone, my dog hasn't eaten much or drank much water. I usually don't give her canned food because it gives her gas, but I figured it'd be the best way to get some water and calories into her. I mixed a can of food in with about a cup of water and some kibble. She ate it all and is doing fine but nonetheless she has horrible gas from it. As always...

I was just curious if there's something I could give her to help. I know it can't feel too great, but at least she's not as dehydrated and has a full stomach now. I was just curious and I'm not giving her something until I get an OK...

Members don't see this ad :)
You can give dogs Pepcid. My dog is 50# and can get one 10mg tablet twice a day thirty minutes before meals.

I know the vet i work for has given her dog beano before, but then again her dog is a large breed, ~60 pounds so I wouldn't know how much you would need to give to your little friend to be ok.

SDN isn't for medical advice. I can tell you that yes, dogs can have Pepcid (even intravenously), but can't give you the dose. However, if your dog hasn't been seen by the vet since she returned, and she's feeling poorly, I would HIGHLY recommend she be evaluated by a veterinarian.

Not to scare you, but I've seen plenty of dogs return from a "walkabout" who just didn't feel right for a few days...and then end up needing emergency surgery (for a variety of reasons). You have no way of knowing what she migt have encountered while she was gone.

I really, really feel for you because I know it's been such a tremendous, stressful rollercoaster, and I'm so sorry. :( But it's really worthwhile to take her in, even if her symptoms are nonspecific/perhaps mild.

Best of luck!! Keep us posted.

She has already seen two vets since being back - my father and grandfather. I would call my dad about the tums/pepto but he is on vacation and I try not to bother him when on vacation.

I know SDN is not for medical advice. I'm not on here trying to get serious medical advice... just curious about some tums due to some gas. This is nothing new for my dog. She never eats when I am gone, not even during the day while I am at work and she always gets gas from canned food. I'm not on here saying my dog has been vomiting for 3 weeks and wanting to know some home remedies. I get enough calls at work with people trying to get me to diagnose something over the phone. I understand that SDN is not going to replace a vet's expertise. I am not an idiot. I just had a simple question about tums. Sorry if this seems rude, but I take offense when people talk to me like I am a complete idiot.

As for the rest of you, thanks for the quick response on tums/pepto/pepcid for dogs. That is all I was looking for in the first place. Thanks.

**Honestly, I am not trying to be rude here. It's been a loooonnnngggg and stressful week. Besides my dog (and best friend) getting lost I have had to deal with a load. So, please ignore me if I am coming off as rude. I know everyone is just trying to help.**

rosemma said:
I am not an idiot. I just had a simple question about tums. Sorry if this seems rude, but I take offense when people talk to me like I am a complete idiot.

Then don't post like one. Given your own admissions of apparent background/experience, you should know better and disclaimer's do not excuse the tone of your post in the least.

Asking if it is okay to give an animal a medication, OTC or not, however benign a condition or not, "serious" or not in your non-DVM opinion, is seeking medical advice. Not sure why you are failing to make this connection.

What if I told you yes, and you give your dog Tums and it died? I know for a fact you wouldn't be thinking "oh well, it's my own fool fault" - you'd be screaming for my head on a pike and probably breaking new Internet ligitation ground even if your dog died from the sequela of a partial mesenteric torsion secondary to blunt truncal trauma acquired during the time missing.

But I'll make it easy for you. No - you can't give a dog Tums or Pepto for flatulence. Neither is even remotely appropriate for the condition. Seek the advice of your regular licensed veterinary on therapeutics appropriate for excessive flatulence.

She has already seen two vets since being back - my father and grandfather.

This is nothing new for my dog.

I am not an idiot. I just had a simple question about tums. Sorry if this seems rude, but I take offense when people talk to me like I am a complete idiot.

As for the rest of you, thanks for the quick response on tums/
pepto/pepcid for dogs. That is all I was looking for in the first place. Thanks.

**Honestly, I am not trying to be rude here. It's been a loooonnnngggg and stressful week. Besides my dog (and best friend) getting lost I have had to deal with a load. So, please ignore me if I am coming off as rude. I know everyone is just trying to help.**

Given that a) you didn't give us any history on your dog--other than that she was missing for several days and then her appetite was decreased--and b) that you did not indicate she had been seen by a veterinarian, I would really, really appreciate knowing how my post implied that I thought you were an idiot.

Seriously. For my own future reference.

Because I really fail to see how I did anything but give you valuable information in a straightforward manner with appropriate justification, while showing concern for you and your dog. I am confused.

Thanks.

As an animal lover, I can definitely sympathize with your position of wanting to help out your dog, and not wanting him/her to be uncomfortable and/or unhealthy. Since none of us know the particulars and cannot provide medical advice, I'd think letting a doc know (maybe your father/grandfather if either have seen him/her in the past) seems like a reasonable next step.

I know from my own experiences with my dogs, there were times when my pups needed some nutritional tweaks to better meet their needs as they aged, and I was thankful to have a quality vet available to help with this. Best of luck with your pup, and I hope it isn't anything serious and s/he is back to normal ASAP.

Well... talk about being fed to the wolves!
While it's probably not a good idea to ask questions like this to people who have never seen your dog or have a veterinary degree (at least not most of us), I don't think your an idiot and I think you were asking as an innocent question. I would hope that if I asked a classmate of mine "Have you ever seen a vet recommend pepcid for a dog?" that they wouldn't discipline me for "asking for medical advice". I'm sure that since you are a smart person with veterinarians in the family you were just asking the question so that you could then ask your grandfather or father for a dose later (since you know that we couldn't do that online). Anyway... just wanted to defend you... no need to be so harsh when a simple question is asked.

Anyway... just wanted to defend you... no need to be so harsh when a simple question is asked.

Just FYI, the comments about asking for medical advice were because the SDN terms of service actually ban people from asking medical advice. If someone asks for medical advice, the entire thread will be closed by the forum moderator. Hence the position that we on SDN cannot give medical advice.

"Not giving medical advice" is not meant to be a rude position. People have been banned from the forum for repeatedly violating the terms of service--those who ask medical advice and those who give it.

Very different from a classmate asking, "hey, can dogs have Pepcid?" out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, the comments about asking for medical advice were because the SDN terms of service actually ban people from asking medical advice. If someone asks for medical advice, the entire thread will be closed by the forum moderator. Hence the position that we on SDN cannot give medical advice.

"Not giving medical advice" is not meant to be a rude position. People have been banned from the forum for repeatedly violating the terms of service--those who ask medical advice and those who give it.

Very different from a classmate asking, "hey, can dogs have Pepcid?" out of curiosity.

way to throw the rule book around! my hero..........................

Ouch...I agree, twelvetigers. I've read posts in blatant violation of SDN's "no medical advice" rule and I must say the responding backlash was nowhere near as severe as this posting, in which the question posed was rather benign, really. Most misunderstandings stem from written replies where the tone is subjective and ambiguous, leaving room for vast emotional misinterpretations on everyone's part. Everyone take a deep breath, life is too short to spend it bickering over the context of words.:oops:

Especially when there's a picture of a goat wearing sunglasses. That's like, the international symbol of truce, a goat wearing sunglasses.

(*IS* that a goat? I can't tell really.)

It should honestly be the international symbol for truce, since getting her to wear those sunglasses, and actually look like she was happy about it, was a major negotiation, the terms of which involved me giving her LOTS of carrots and back rubs. She is a goat, a Toggenburg in fact! She passed away last year (at 15 yrs of age!), but will always hold a special place in my heart because of her spunk, and noticeable love for life. I also have a picture of her wearing a princess crown and matching clip on earrings (perhaps a future avatar?). She was much more accepting of the crown, probably because we were oooing and awhing over her graciousness. The sunglasses.... well we couldn't help but laugh, and I'm sure that's what put her out, lol! :cool:

There you have it! I suppose this shall be my last post on this thread, as I believe I have officially hijacked it. Good night everyone, and while we deviated from the original post, I hope it made a few people laugh, or smile at least! :p

It would take too many quotes to highlight it, but you "guys" (in the collective sense) seem to commonly read waayyyy too much "emotion" into posts that simply is not there. Must be a gap in there, somewhere. Whether age or forum experience or general crustiness or thicker skin or ?. I'm about as worked up over this thread as the fact my tea kettle hasn't whistled yet while sitting here.

If there is even a modicum of truth to the "backlash" allegation, do not be confused. It is not because she solicited medical advice. It is for defensively denying it and then implying alliecat, by taking the time to post sound and correct advice given what history on the dog was known at the time and displaying empathy, somehow insinuated she was an idiot. That makes absolutely zero sense.

way to throw the rule book around! my hero..........................

Um, that was because I was CRITICIZED for a) giving good advice and b) stating that "SDN is not for medical advice." Because *I* was trying to cover my own a**, if you must know, not be a police officer.

Thanks, Fetch. I'm still confused as to why my post implied that she was an idiot.

To clarify for others: no, the fact that she was asking is not the issue. The fact that she was abjectly rude to someone giving her appropriate advice in a thoughtful manner is the issue.

Good lord, what drama. I just want to know how/why my post implied that she was an idiot so I can avoid offending people in the future. Guess that makes ME a terrible person. *shakes head*

I am shocked, SHOCKED! That some of you chose to respond with anything other than "you need to ask a DVM this question"

Aspirin seems benign, doesn't it? Aspirin causes GI disruptions in 83% of all animals

Tylenol seems benign, doesn't it? It will KILL a cat.

etc, etc, ad infinitum

Status
Not open for further replies.