Tune in for another vomit-inducing episode...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grey's Anatomy is coming on in less than an hour. I'd like to say it's good for a laugh, but it just makes me cringe and involuntarily wretch. At least it's great for playing "spot the inaccuracies."

Members don't see this ad.

Havarti666 said:
Grey's Anatomy is coming on in less than an hour. I'd like to say it's good for a laugh, but it just makes me cringe and involuntarily wretch. At least it's great for playing "spot the inaccuracies."
I totally agree. I didn't really like the first episode. Sure it had a few laughs. And it sure made me feel thankful for not having to do an intern year. That **** f*cking sucks.

I didn't really like it either, but am going to watch it again. Sometimes I have no understanding of why I do the things I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
beary said:
I didn't really like it either, but am going to watch it again. Sometimes I have no understanding of why I do the things I do.
Well it's either that or watch this Bosox-Yankee game which is totally sucking right now. I wanna go to some games at Fenway during the upcoming year. I heard Bosox games are really fun to go to.

If this game keeps sucking, I will watch Grey's Anatomy for sure and watch how Asians are further stereotyped as gunners.

Whoever can spot the most inaccuracies gets a gold star. And a Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager on me in New Orleans.

Havarti666 said:
Whoever can spot the most inaccuracies gets a gold star. And a Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager on me in New Orleans.
you're on.

waitaminute, i'm getting ahead of myself. i'm on beer #3 now on an empty stomach. feeling pretty good right now...

I can't watch the rest of this show. It's so bad.

Back to Bosox-Yankees.

I missed it. Will have to try next week.

I am glad to see the TV show has not replaced the reference text as Google's #1 hit with the search key "grey's anatomy".

The Washington Post declares in a review, "No Heart, No Brain". :D

I never realized until now that gunner Asian girl was in the movie, Sideways. Apparently it comes out on DVD pretty soon...that's another DVD in the purchase column...check.

AndyMilonakis said:
I never realized until now that gunner Asian girl was in the movie, Sideways. Apparently it comes out on DVD pretty soon...that's another DVD in the purchase column...check.

I thought it was cool that the gunner Asian girl drives a motorcycle. I have secretly always wanted to get a motorcycle (though I have ever even ridden on one :laugh: )

beary said:
I thought it was cool that the gunner Asian girl drives a motorcycle. I have secretly always wanted to get a motorcycle (though I have ever even ridden on one :laugh: )
This would never happen in real life. Asian parents are totally anti-motorcycle.

gunner Asian girl: Mom, can I have a motorcycle?
gunner Asian girl's mom: Go do your homework, then practice piano, and then memorize 200 words for the SAT.
gunner Asian girl: Yes mom.

AndyMilonakis said:
gunner Asian girl: Mom, can I have a motorcycle?
gunner Asian girl's mom: Go do your homework, then practice piano, and then memorize 200 words for the SAT.
gunner Asian girl: Yes mom.

:laugh: This actually totally reminds me of my growing up, except I'm white. Just substitute violin for piano. And then substitute me having a tantrum.

Members don't see this ad :)
beary said:
:laugh: This actually totally reminds me of my growing up, except I'm white. Just substitute violin for piano. And then substitute me having a tantrum.
yes but asians play both violin and piano.

and if asians throw a tantrum, they get beaten. the asian kid cries for mercy. yet the beatings don't stop. the beatings are relentless.

gunner Asian girl: please stop mommy.
gunner Asian girl's mom: i'm only doing this because i love you.
gunner Asian girl: ok i don't want a motorcycle anymore.
gunner Asian girl's mom: just a few more now.
gunner Asian girl: i hate you. i'm gonna call the cops on you.
gunner Asian girl's mom: yeah, then who's gonna make you kimchi and all that delicious asian food? and then who's gonna pay for Ivy League college? huh?

For some reason, this reminds me of an Asian family that I know. I taught the little boy violin for a few years. They are very nice people. Anyway, the parents enter the kids in every single contest on the face of the earth. I'm talking music contests, math contests, write poetry about the firemen contests, write a song about the native prairies of the midwest and the buffalo, everything. So, one day my mom and I were talking to them about the MSTP and my mom got talking about how my med school got paid for. And the other mom totally perks up and starts talking about how they must enter her children in this contest. :laugh: :laugh:

beary said:
For some reason, this reminds me of an Asian family that I know. I taught the little boy violin for a few years. They are very nice people. Anyway, the parents enter the kids in every single contest on the face of the earth. I'm talking music contests, math contests, write poetry about the firemen contests, write a song about the native prairies of the midwest and the buffalo, everything. So, one day my mom and I were talking to them about the MSTP and my mom got talking about how my med school got paid for. And the other mom totally perks up and starts talking about how they must enter her children in this contest. :laugh: :laugh:
Oh god, I have had this whole MSTP discussion with a few children of asian parents. see the deal with asian parents is this...all they do is talk about their kids. for instance, if an asian kid scores a 1600 on the SAT, then the whole friggin' asian community will hear about it. likewise, if an asian kid scores 1290 on the SAT because he had mudbutt during the test, the whole friggin' asian community hears about this too. all the asian parents will make their asian kids talk to asian boy/girl who scored 1600 on SAT for advice so that they too can score 1600. meanwhile, the asian boy with mudbutt gets left alone (thank god).

and the whole music competition thing...i can empathize. I would enter about 5-6 piano competitions every year since 6th grade. I absolutely refused to enter violin competitions though...I put my foot down on that one! :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
I was seldomly spanked. I was a good kid.
Yeah. And that is why he sees a mum beating a child and the child crying in every single picture that yaah posts. :rolleyes:

I thank my lucky stars every day that my family is not true-blue dyed-in-the-wool roast-suckling-pig-to-thank-you purist.

deschutes said:
Yeah. And that is why he sees a mum beating a child and the child crying in every single picture that yaah posts. :rolleyes:
Yeah...it's called a...joke?

Don't hate. Congratulate.

beary said:
And the other mom totally perks up and starts talking about how they must enter her children in this contest. :laugh: :laugh:

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:

This is so frighteningly true. A coworker of my father, who is Korean, had two kids (about my age). The eldest was the pianist, the younger the violinist. The eldest went to Harvard, then med school. She finally told her folks to take a flying leap, got hitched, had a kid, and is now a part-time radiologist in Hawaii. Don't know what happened to the younger one, although there was suspicion that he might gravitate towards the Castro District of San Fran. I'm sure there's been a lot of nitroglycerin popped in that household over the years.

Havarti666 said:
This is so frighteningly true. A coworker of my father, who is Korean, had two kids (about my age). The eldest was the pianist, the younger the violinist. The eldest went to Harvard, then med school. She finally told her folks to take a flying leap, got hitched, had a kid, and is now a part-time radiologist in Hawaii. Don't know what happened to the younger one, although there was suspicion that he might gravitate towards the Castro District of San Fran. I'm sure there's been a lot of nitroglycerin popped in that household over the years.
you know what's frightening are the asian parents who want to live their lives through their children. i knew one korean kid who got so much pressure from daddy to be a doctor because deep down inside daddy wanted to be a doctor himself (and yes, daddy admitted this to my parents). it was quite unfortunate how the kid's life was scripted all the way back since grade school. private school, ivy league college, ivy league med school...don't know much since then since my parents stopped talking to this daddy since they concluded that daddy was a total douchebag.

my parents told me that they didn't give a flying f*ck what i did with my life...as long as i didn't work at mcdonalds or in the sanitation business. whether i was a doctor, lawyer, scientist, or clown was up to me. heck, i could sell corn on the street and they would be fine with it as long as they knew i was happy. compared to a lot of korean parents that i know, my folks are quite atypical (thank the lord for that!).

deschutes said:
Oh and for those who are counting, this may be the greatest inaccuracy of all - the book is actually Gray's Anatomy...

Well, it's a play on words, apparently. I haven't seen the show but I think the main character's last name is Grey. Voila.

AndyMilonakis said:

and if asians throw a tantrum, they get beaten. the asian kid cries for mercy. yet the beatings don't stop. the beatings are relentless.

gunner Asian girl: please stop mommy.
gunner Asian girl's mom: i'm only doing this because i love you.
gunner Asian girl: ok i don't want a motorcycle anymore.
gunner Asian girl's mom: just a few more now.
gunner Asian girl: i hate you. i'm gonna call the cops on you.
gunner Asian girl's mom: yeah, then who's gonna make you kimchi and all that delicious asian food? and then who's gonna pay for Ivy League college? huh?

LMFAO! :laugh: That sounds like something from my household minus the beating part. It's funny how Asian parents (not all though!) have these "living vicariously through their child" expectations for their child morph into life goals that they really genuinely think are in the best interest for their child both from their perspective and their child's perspective. I'm actually surprised by the dad you speak of who admitted that he himself wanted to be a doctor.

As for the show, it is ridiculous I had to turn it off after 20 minutes into the first show. That Asian chick was also on the HBO show Arliss (sp?), must have been cancelled as soon as it came out.

Mrbojangles said:
LMFAO! :laugh: That sounds like something from my household minus the beating part. It's funny how Asian parents (not all though!) have these "living vicariously through their child" expectations for their child morph into life goals that they really genuinely think are in the best interest for their child both from their perspective and their child's perspective. I'm actually surprised by the dad you speak of who admitted that he himself wanted to be a doctor.
I don't know how my parents coaxed the info from daddy. They were speaking all this korean 'n **** which I couldn't understand. Then later, they told me, "oh btw, daddy wanted to be a doctor so that's why daddy's kid's is miserable." The whole "living vicariously through their child" mentality of a lot of asian parents is amusing.

As for the show, it is ridiculous I had to turn it off after 20 minutes into the first show. That Asian chick was also on the HBO show Arliss (sp?), must have been cancelled as soon as it came out.
Whoever made the show "Grey's Anatomy" is a real zero. ABC needs to ditch this zero and get itself a hero!

AndyMilonakis said:
Whoever made the show "Grey's Anatomy" is a real zero. ABC needs to ditch this zero and get itself a hero!

They should have JJ Abrams make another show, since IMO Lost and Alias are the two best shows on TV!

beary said:
They should have JJ Abrams make another show, since IMO Lost and Alias are the two best shows on TV!
Haven't been following Alias. My two shows of choice are Lost and 24. Yes, ABC should cancel Grey's Anatomy and replace it with a show called 12. Get this...12 would only consist of twelve episodes so the season would only be half as long as 24 but would still be full of jam-packed action--explosions! fire! sex! controversy! plot-twists!
If I were to start watching Alias, how many season behind would I be? :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
If I were to start watching Alias, how many season behind would I be? :laugh:

4. Though the previous ones are out on DVD so you can catch up that way.

yaah said:
There is no sex in 24! No time! They just talk about it. :laugh:
Like I said before, 24 needs to have a dedicated episode where Jack naps on a couch...for a whole hour. That's it. I believe an episode like this would make the show just that much more realistic.

AndyMilonakis said:
Like I said before, 24 needs to have a dedicated episode where Jack naps on a couch...for a whole hour. That's it. I believe an episode like this would make the show just that much more realistic.

Where's Jack?

In the can.

Still?

Yup.

:laugh:

Perhaps they could make a 24 about my life right now.

hours 1-8: sleep
hour 9: watch TV and eat
hour 10: check email
hour 11: work
hour 12: SDN
hour 13: nap
hour 14: watch TV and eat
hour 15: SDN
hour 16: work
hour 17-19: nap
hours 20-21: watch TV and eat
hours 22-24: SDN

beary said:
Perhaps they could make a 24 about my life right now.

hours 1-8: sleep
hour 9: watch TV and eat
hour 10: check email
hour 11: work
hour 12: SDN
hour 13: nap
hour 14: watch TV and eat
hour 15: SDN
hour 16: work
hour 17-19: nap
hours 20-21: watch TV and eat
hours 22-24: SDN
kinda sounds like my day...in that i only worked about 2 hours today. Why the big gap between the work hours? You need to consolidate the work hours. Then you can consolidate the sleep hours.

AndyMilonakis said:
kinda sounds like my day...in that i only worked about 2 hours today. Why the big gap between the work hours? You need to consolidate the work hours. Then you can consolidate the sleep hours.

That's a good question. I actually have some type of severe GI illness right now so I am only able to work about an hour at a time. I hope to get better soon since I defend in six days. :scared:

Normally I go to work from 8-6 without all the naps. There is definitely some email and SDN thrown in during the day though. :)

I'm going to use that excuse tomorrow. I have a severe GI illness so I have to go now.

My day on blood bank:

6:30-8 sit around and check email or read something
8-9 lecture
9-11 blood bank paperwork
11-1 lunch :laugh:
1-2: sign out paperwork
2-4: internet, maybe read if I have something to study for the next day
4-5: go for a walk outside

yaah said:
I'm going to use that excuse tomorrow. I have a severe GI illness so I have to go now.

My day on blood bank:

6:30-8 sit around and check email or read something
8-9 lecture
9-11 blood bank paperwork
11-1 lunch :laugh:
1-2: sign out paperwork
2-4: internet, maybe read if I have something to study for the next day
4-5: go for a walk outside

Why are you there at 6:30? :confused:

That does sound like a boring day. Can you take naps? :laugh:

If you had what I had you would either have to go home or carry a wastebasket with you every single place you go and not be greater than one foot away from the wastebasket or else you would have a huge mess on your hands.

Yeah the 6:30 doesn't really make sense does it? :laugh:

I am just a loser who likes to get to work early, that's all.

yaah said:
Yeah the 6:30 doesn't really make sense does it? :laugh:

I am just a loser who likes to get to work early, that's all.

That's a whole hour and a half that you could be on SDN! :laugh:

beary said:
That's a whole hour and a half that you could be on SDN! :laugh:

Every now and then I will log on when I am there that early, and then after I finish I curse myself for being such an idiot when I could have just slept another hour.

1. beary, i hope you feel better soon. i hope you don't have mudbutt cuz that would suck.
2. yaah, you forgot to include the part in your schedule where your ass is going out drinking and shooting pool with me and harbster.
3. i remember checking SDN in the autopsy room once. it automatically logged me in as yaah. i had mod powers for a split second! however, the powers were too much for me to handle and comprehend so i logged out of yaah. i hope you don't autolog into SDN on other computers at the hospital :laugh:
4. it'll be embarrassing if you leave early citing that you have GI illness or even mudbutt...then your ass gets caught drinking in the bar. BUSTED!
5. nothing

AndyMilonakis said:
3. i remember checking SDN in the autopsy room once. it automatically logged me in as yaah. i had mod powers for a split second! however, the powers were too much for me to handle and comprehend so i logged out of yaah. i hope you don't autolog into SDN on other computers at the hospital :laugh:

:oops:

I usually remember to logout. I thought I was safe in the morgue though because I didn't think anyone else visited down there. I should have known! :laugh: I actually don't check that much at the hospital - if I do it is usually from my laptop anyway now.

yaah said:
:oops:

I usually remember to logout. I thought I was safe in the morgue though because I didn't think anyone else visited down there. I should have known! :laugh: I actually don't check that much at the hospital - if I do it is usually from my laptop anyway now.

laptops with wireless HiFi internet is teh roxorz!

desktops without wireless internet is the suxorz!

yaah said:
Well, it's a play on words, apparently. I haven't seen the show but I think the main character's last name is Grey. Voila.
I know that. But don't you think if they really wanted to have it accurate they would have called her Margaret Gray? *shrugs*

yaah said:
Every now and then I will log on when I am there that early, and then after I finish I curse myself for being such an idiot when I could have just slept another hour.
...or read another chapter, or done a load of laundry, or had dinner ready. I know :)

Checking SDNPath in the autopsy room takes us to a whole new level. :idea: