Turner syndrome - aortic valve question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the technicality question, but we know Turner syndrome is associated with preductal aortic coarctation and bicuspid aortic valve. I would think the former would increase the probability of early-onset AR, but that the latter would increase the likelihood of late-onset calcific AS.

In terms of the USMLE, has anyone encountered any questions or resources that specify AR over AS (or AS over AR) for Turner syndrome?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that it was imperative that the coarctation be repaired early on, as it probably isn't a good idea to allow a preductal coarctation to remain (postductal is a different story). This limits sequelae (the AR you mentioned). With the bicuspid aortic valve not repaired early they are more likely to develop AS.

This is just a vague memory, though. I could be very wrong.

Sorry for the technicality question, but we know Turner syndrome is associated with preductal aortic coarctation and bicuspid aortic valve. I would think the former would increase the probability of early-onset AR, but that the latter would increase the likelihood of late-onset calcific AS.

In terms of the USMLE, has anyone encountered any questions or resources that specify AR over AS (or AS over AR) for Turner syndrome?

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure AR>AS. They also have aortic dilation which further predisposes for AR. The bicuspid valve not only has a predisposition for calcification and AS later on, but since it's a crappy valve, it also increases AR likelihood as well.

edit: oh, and they also live on average 16 years shorter and we know congenital bicuspid valve --> AS takes time so this might have an impact as well.