turning down interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone out there turned down interviews already? if so, why? or why not?

~Qoo

Members don't see this ad.

I am turning down interviews right now. I applied to way too many schools 15+. And I am running out of cash for air fare.

I'm in the process of turning a few schools down as well. Tufts has that biochem prereq. If I can't waive it, then there's no sense in me taking up a interview spot. I am thinknig about turning down U Mich as well.

I agree with Ali. I applied to too many schools....but better too many than too few. At least this way, I have a lot of options, even though its costing me a few more buckaroos. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
so how many did you guys go??
i'm afraid that if i turned down some interviews... i'll kick myself later when i dont hear from any schools....
:(

I just had my UOP inteview today and was supposed to have a Boston Regional interview in L.A. tomorrow but decided last minute that I won't be going to that one. For one, I really thought about it and realized that I don't really want to go to BU and another reason is that I didn't want to wake up early for it since I just had an interview. I'm pretty tired. Also, the fact that I just received an interview invite for UCLA helped me turn down Boston.

Hey juan, congratulations on your UCLA interview. That's the only interview that I'm still eagerly waiting for. When did you hear from them and by what method (postal mail, email, phone)? I have my BU regional interview in LA this Sunday and, like you, I'm thinking about cancelling. I've already decided not to interview at Tufts and NYU.

They actually called me yesterday but I was at the UOP interview so I didn't get the call. They also emailed me. I checked the email during lunch time at the UOP interview so it was a nice surprise.

After getting 7 interview invites I decided to turn down:

Temple - don't want to get stabbed on my way to school

NYU - heard its a factory

Pitts - heard it's boring

USC - still debating

What do guys think? Should I make the trip to USC on Dec. 6/02?

Why do you say NYU is a factory. I just wanted to know what you have heard. Do you mean the school itselft is like a factory or the program.

I have a friend there and he's in his last year. He has never said anything bad about the curriculum other than it's unnecessarily grueling in order to weed you out. It's also one of the most expensive schools and they try to weed people out by making it very difficult. You can forget about specializing and plan on being in serious debt unless you have rich parents.

I wouldn't fork over all that dough knowing that the administration whats to cut the class size down. It also seems that its pretty easy to get accepted because they want your money. If it's your only chance to go to dental school then by all means one should go, but it's definitely not one of the best. But it's all personal anyway.

I don't buy into the notion that NYU tries to weed folks out of the program. I think they choose to uphold standards so as to not jeporadize the careers of their graduates and, as a result, some marginal students fall by the way side. Look, NYU takes a lot of folks and tuition is expensive. Because of those factors, NYU entering class stat averages naturally lie closer to the mean of all dental school applicants. That translates into the fact that some peeps who are accepted by NYU are risky candidates. Those marginal candidates are given a chance to succeed by NYU, but it is up to them to meet NYU's standards once they are enrolled.

Do you work for them or something?

Your reply is a little naive. I don't think you're an idiot if you go there I just don't think they're a top dental school that aims to produce quality dentists. Why would a school accept marginal students?

Check the stats on how many people have to stay an extra year to finish. Or how they do on the boards. Also, watch out for schools that have a lot of clinical requirements for graduation and less didactic training. Are you going to learn to be a dentist or a dental technician?

Well, I have heard all of the above too. And everyone knows it is true that NYU kicks out some students and at times rolls them back one year and this is after they are given a chance to make it up in summer. I think all the things that has been said about NYU is true to some extend, we all have heard it and we all have heard it many times from different sources, so I donot think all these sources are B.S..ing. Why don't they say the same thing about BU or Temple.
Something else I have heard about other schools is that when they see someone is doing poorely they provide tutoring for them and help them to move up, the reason that so many people fail in NYU is that this service is not provided and school does not provide any help or support to the students that are struggling.

Also NYU is not more expensive than BU, Columbia or USC.

Hi,

I've been reading these post about NYU in many different threads and I have to say that many many are judging NYUCD on the basis of how expensive the school, how big the class is and the "reputation" presented on this forum. If you guys are so inclined to believe that a large class size = marginal students or anything like that, I think its needs a little more proof than that.

NYU has been going through very dramatic changes over the past two years. The new dean, Dean Alfono has changed the whole curriculum for the first two years. I am a D1 student here and I selected this school because I liked what I saw when I interviewed there. The board scores averages are for students in the old curriculum, so the D2 students (new curriculum) will be a good measurement of how well NYU will score on future boards. True, some students complain about this dental school, but every dental school is different and each has its disadvantages and advantages. For the class size issue, I don't believe its such a big deal. You have to learn to adapt to working in larger groups and having your opinion heard amongst your peers. The amazing diversity at this school and the patient pools is enormous. There are at least 500 D3 and D4 students who treat patients and nobody says that they don't have enough patients. Just imagine how large this patient pool is here and the experience you gain from seeing soo many cases.

Also, NYUCD has just finished the Bluestone research clinic. The dean has been pushing for research as a greater priority in this school and he is bringing in the brightest minds in many fields to chair these new research groups. There are tremendous opportunities for this years incoming class to do research.

Those are some of the points I felt that was missing in your discussions about NYU. Please don't be so arogant to dismiss NYU or any other large metropolitan schools because of class size or reputation. We are all going to be professionals and we need to think about how we percieve our collegues.

Thanks

Well said Apoptosis.