Turning primary app in June - How bad is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSherman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Since this is an anonymous forum, I'll reveal some things about my application in regards to what's going on. My science grade is quite borderline (this is my second time applying for med school), but I found a way to make it at least 3.0 before the summer time - something that allows me the bare minimum to apply for a myriad of schools.

However, there is a problem: the classes aren't done until late May, which means they won't be finished grading by early June.

I am thinking about applying to DO schools and I heard they allow submission of applications in May. My question is this: How much will it hurt me to submit applications in June to get my grades up.

Members don't see this ad.

June isn’t too late, July would be for someone with a lot GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted secondaries up to December with a 3.2 GPA and still got in. June is fine =D

It's OK to turn in apps as late as October or even early November.

Wow! Thanks Goro. I heard you're a legend around these parts.

This GPA sprint will definitely help me, though I'm aware my GPA is a bit on the low end. I've increased my numbers since leaving college years ago and now even work under a DO who could write a recommendation for me.

I'm hoping that could help sway some folks.

I submitted secondaries up to December with a 3.2 GPA and still got in. June is fine =D

Oh! That's right around my numbers for cGPA. What state do you reside and how did you make yourself stick out among the crowd? I'm ORM and the only really big things I've done was clinical research and a butt-load of clinical hours (1000+).

I had a 40 unit post bacc at 3.8 which I did while working full time and a 507 MCAT.
A low GPA isn't going to hold you back much (especially if its over 3.0) if the rest of your app makes up for it.

I had a 40 unit post bacc at 3.8 which I did while working full time and a 507 MCAT.
A low GPA isn't going to hold you back much (especially if its over 3.0) if the rest of your app makes up for it.

Fair point. I'm studying for my MCAT now (retake, but I'm giving myself more time to prepare) and I've done a lot of credits of more science over the past year. I'm pretty much being liberal in trying to get a school because I'm putting my all into this last shot.

So it's okay to stall the primary application till June then? I know that MD systems seem dogmatic about getting it on-the-dot.

I'd say from my limited experience and these forums that a June application is perfectly fine.
Delay your MCAT if you have to, just score well.

June AACOMAS submission is fine. Schools are likely won't send out secondary until June 15.

I'd say from my limited experience and these forums that a June application is perfectly fine.
Delay your MCAT if you have to, just score well.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get a decent score.

I submitted my primary late July with a 3.1 gpa, 505 MCAT and 3.9 post bac GPA of 27 credits. I applied to 26 DO schools and received 7 interview invites. I think you’ll be fine as long as the rest of your app is normal.

I turned in my primary apps/secondaries at the end of November, ended up with multiple interview invites/acceptances. (LM in mid 60s tho)

Can you wait till later months such as december like multiple people have said? Sure. But it sure wouldn't be in your favor to. If you can have it submitted in June, then do it, it will help your odds at getting accepted. The earlier you submit, the earlier you are verified, the earlier you can get secondaries, etc.

Best of luck.